Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not familiar with this process. Does that mean there were 22 people that voted? Or were the votes representative of a larger number?

I believe 28 people were allowed to vote, 24 actually voted, and 2 votes were "called into question" (whatever that means) so 22 officially counted. I assume those 2 votes would have been actually counted somehow if the result wasn't already clear.

So the union covers the 28 people working in Raven's QA department.

Sadly, with only 22 members - no way they don't just fire them all - and move QA elsewhere.

Totally possible, but I have to wonder how much ABK is actually interested in fighting this full force when Microsoft is just about to take the reigns. Maybe Microsoft is pressuring them behind the scenes to take the PR hit of breaking up the union before the deal goes through, but there have been big walkouts at Blizzard in recent times for much less, so they will have to deal with that too, on top of slowing COD's development way down.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
interesting to see! will be curious where it goes from here.

22 votes total out of 30 people? so almost a third of people just shrugged or didn't want to be involved? isn't that pretty close to the actual voting % here in the states? Lol

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Such great news! Happy for the Raven QA testers, and I hope this will lead to more game developers joining, bettering the industry.

The time of massive corporations treating their workers like shit is slowly coming to an end. Thanks to endeavours like this. Management should take heed that their power is waning, and that they better start taking care of their employees like they are fucking human beings. They're not automatons.

Oct 25, 2017
While we're on the subject:

Microsoft, Please, #FreeRaven.

This developer doesn't deserve to be a support studio for CoD for the rest of eternity. They did their best work alone.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations. Hope more do the same.

This developer doesn't deserve to be a support studio for CoD for the rest of eternity. They did their best work alone.
My hope is that Microsoft allows them to continue with Heretic and Hexen. With idTech 7 or the current idTech at the time of development.

CasualMaso

Banned
May 12, 2022
Space
Happy for the cause, but if it is a small team...Activision will probably just move their QA to another company. 🤷🏻
Would also like to add...my celebrating is cut short...JUST a test team? Why would Raven not do the entire company? Just so I am clear, this "test" Team at Raven is the only "group" that will be part of a union while the rest of the company isn't? 🧐

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
200.gif

Let's fucking go!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Fuck yes, about damn time. Testers are among the most mistreated and unsung heroes of game development. Having had to do my own testing for many, many years during my development career, it's the worst and most grueling work, both in games and non-game development.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Is there anywhere to see a list of which game studios (or even companies in general) have unions? I assume most European ones do but no idea about North America and Japan.

Main reason I ask is just personal interest.
Just assume they don't and you are probably right. haha. The US has pumped millions upon millions of dollars in the anti-union campaign for decades.

However, it would be neat to see some sort of list.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
This apart of Microsoft's contract to buy Activision? Bet they were not looped in on this when they started talking.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the second union in the United States for a video game developer. The first for a major developer/publisher.

www.theverge.com

Activision Blizzard subsidiary wins union vote

Despite multiple concerted union-busting attempts.

Wow. I found the story about Vodeo but I felt like there must be a dozen other small/indie studios who do the same thing. It's wild that this is only the second one in the country.

Just assume they don't and you are probably right. haha. The US has pumped millions upon millions of dollars in the anti-union campaign for decades.

However, it would be neat to see some sort of list.

Yeah, I'm mainly interested because of how production schedules and the number of staff needed on-hand can shift a lot for video games and that this traditionally leads to a lot of crunch and a lot of contractors. Obviously, those would be two things a union would be involved in managing so it would be interesting to see how game output (speed + quality), cost, and employee welfare are at the game companies that actually have unions.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see this happen, but is the risk now that Activision says "thank you for your service, we'll do our testing elsewhere" in response to the unionization?
They have a legal obligation to bargain in good faith

Bargaining in good faith with employees' union representative (Section 8(d) & 8(a)(5)) | National Labor Relations Board

Employers have a legal duty to bargain in good faith with their employees' representative and to sign any collective bargaining agreement that has been reached. This duty encompasses many obligations, including a duty not to make certain changes without bargaining with the union and not to...

NLRB even specifically states this is not allowed
  • Refuse to bargain over the effects of a change in the scope and direction of your enterprise, even though you need not bargain over the change itself because it concerns a matter at the core of your entrepreneurial control of your business. (Whether a proposed change is a non-bargainable "scope and direction" change or a mandatory subject of bargaining may present a difficult legal question. However, subcontracting that merely substitutes one group of workers for another to do the same work under similar conditions of employment is not a non-bargainable "scope and direction" change.)

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Happy for the cause, but if it is a small team...Activision will probably just move their QA to another company. 🤷🏻
Would also like to add...my celebrating is cut short...JUST a test team? Why would Raven not do the entire company? Just so I am clear, this "test" Team at Raven is the only "group" that will be part of a union while the rest of the company isn't? 🧐
Because the testers were the most mistreated group in Raven and so the testers proposed to organize their department.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

Shit on "support" all you want, it's not sexy from a consumer perspective sure, but from a business perspective, support and port studios have stability. Also, Raven isn't JUST a support studio. Warzone was a creative project, regardless of being tied to CoD and it was a massive success.

Also, if Infinity Ward finds success with Warzone 2, Raven may need the support work to carry on.

Oct 25, 2017
Shit on "support" all you want, it's not sexy from a consumer perspective sure, but from a business perspective, support and port studios have stability. Also, Raven isn't JUST a support studio. Warzone was a creative project, regardless of being tied to CoD and it was a massive success.

Also, if Infinity Ward finds success with Warzone 2, Raven may need the support work to carry on.

Nothing you said really contradicts my asking point. I know Raven is a kickass support studio, and I know that the best Call of Duty has to offer comes from their support as it were. But I'm also old enough to remember that some of the all-time great FPS games came from Raven Software pre-CoD; Heretic, Hexen, Soldier of Fortune 1 and 2, Quake Expansions, Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein 2009, Quake 4, Singularity, the list goes on because they did.

All I'm asking is that they get a chance to do something with the kind of freedom they once had. If they choose to become a support studio again, then by all means. Hell, if they don't want to do anything unique again, fine. But give them that chance because they deserve it.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Brilliant news. Hope this gives other workers in the industry the confidence to form their own unions as well

Mentosrock

Nov 4, 2019
I hope this is the start of great stuff. The games industry has been a haven for insane worker abuse for too long. I hope people working in games will be happier and healthier.