• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, three things:
  1. Tetris 99 seems like an Onion headline, but it is real
  2. It is absolutely fantastic and I am hopelessly addicted to it
  3. The Switch Pro D-Pad sucks
Seriously, this is a point that has been made before, I myself have made it multiple times, but it's horrifying how bad the Switch Pro D-Pad is. You would think the inventors of the D-Pad would do better, but Jesus Christ. I keep getting wrong drops because the D-pad can't get its shit together.

Anyone else have the worst luck with the D-pad in Tetris 99?

Feb 8, 2019
Hey! What do you know - I literally just posted about this in the OT:

"
I will use this thread to voice my frustration. Game journalists are fucking useless. Has any one of them ever asked Nintendo about the atrocious Pro Controller dpads? This game is really frustrating with that dpad, and I am reminded just how much I despise gaming journalism right now. If anyone has ever wrote an article and actually hounded after Nintendo about this, please let me know so that I can shower them with praise.
"

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
It's so bad and that makes me sad :(

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've only played in handheld because of the issue actually, it was the same with Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah just about to post a same thread =. =
I love the switch pro controller, but the D-pad (I got mine on launch) is horrible

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there something some time ago about D-Pads getting updated in the Xenoblade-branded controllers? Or am I just imagining that?

Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree. I always use joy cons in the holder for any puzzle games. Especially Tetris.
The pro controller is amazing for games using analog stick and terrible for using the dpad

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
It's terrible and disappointing, especially coming from Nintendo.

It's such a good controller too, other than that.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks. And none of its versions is good: some may suck less, but they all still suck.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. PuyoTetris was unplayable because of this and I'm glad more people are noticing and making a bigger deal about this now

doraemoe

Banned
May 8, 2018
Yeah it's horrible. You can fix it yourself though, just use some tape to cover inner circle of the contact of the DPad, ther are many tutorials online.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Dpad still sucks with the Smash edition of the Pro Controller rather use the joycons than deal with incorrect inputs.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it is pretty bad. I didn't notice it too much in Puyo Puyo Tetris, but in this game I do. So many wrong drops and bad inputs...

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, Puyo Puyo Tetris proved this two years ago! For games that require precision, I bust out my 8bitdo SFC30 controller.

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I've thought the dpad problems we're overblown, but after playing Tetris 99 I can now see how bad it is. I basically have to use the joycons because the pro will cause an accidental hard drop several times a game.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is this still a problem? How can Nintendo of all companies fuck up a d-pad?

*looks at GC controller*

nvm

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how Nintendo, the CREATORS of the D-pad, could screw it up so badly. Surely they would have to have tested them at one point, right?

Edit: I hope they give us the option to control the blocks with the left joystick in the next update

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I must be one of the lucky ones cause i'm not having any problems with launch day pro controller in tetris. I'm not great at it at all but i'm not having any accidental hard drops or anything.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've tried the game with joycons, dpad joycon, the Power A wireless GCN-style pro controller and the Smash pro controller. I haven't had any drop issues. I have played many thousands of hours of Tetris.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had any problems with my Pro Controller. And I know my controller does have some degree of issue in the D-Pad, but it's not enough to interfere with my Tetris 99 experience.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I had to switch to portable mode, and even then I still get (though much less than the Pro Controller) misdrops because my thumb hitting the little buttons while moving it.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Is it worse than Xbox One S controller d-pad? Because I use that all the time and I have no issues playing with it.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I can see it doing accidental input if I try hard enough but I never got accidental hard drop so far, I guess some people manage to push the direction without going slightly up or down (that can trigger the hard drop)

Oct 28, 2017
That is why I am using a Switch NES controller for my left Joycon when I play in Handheld mode.

My usual trick of a stand and a Pro Controller won't work.