SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
It's honestly just sad to see a forum full of so many people who would consider themselves to be gaming enthusiasts unable to comprehend a game that isn't a big budget narrative driven adventure/action game winning GOTY.
That's because this ISN'T actually a forum for gaming enthusiasts.

In general it caters to a particular type of gamer, as did the other place (by design, apparently). As far as I know there isn't any actual singular enthusiast forum, social media helps I guess and there are a some Youtubers that could probably be considered enthusiast.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I have to play it to understand the appeal. I respect that everyone has different taste in games of course but as of now, from my point of view from just looking at videos, even with that nice write-up I still find it strange to pick this game for GOTY unless they dislike modern games, which I don't think they do based on their reviews, even though they stayed at "only" recommended for GoW and RDR2 in their reviews.
In the end, behind the flashy visuals and nice music and all that, isn't this still just the same Tetris gameplay I played already back in the 80s?

Isnt RDR2 just the same open world Rockstar game we've been playing since 2001? Isn't GOW just the same 3rd person action game publishers have been pumping out in the hundreds for over a decade?

Gaming is an iterative medium. Tetris Effect happens to be a pinnacle of iteration in its genre.

Last edited:

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Because from the look of it I have already played it? I already know how Tetris plays so what makes this Tetris so much different that I can't get from looking at a video?
It's not just the same Tetris you've played before. It's a psychedelic experience that uses sound and visuals to get you in a head space you can't get into by watching someone else play it.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Seeing how this played out internally, I can tell you that this was never about clicks. Tetris and Fortnite basically came out on top in discussions and voting. That's what everyone wanted and it was extremely split. People were passionate about those games rather than clicks.

As the article notes, Oli had to make the final call himself which was not an easy thing I'd imagine. I'm just happy Tetris won out as it was my personal number two.

Thanks for the answer.

Isn't Fornite a 2017 game?

Anyway, individual choices might also follow, whether it is consciously or not, specific rules aimed at different purpose. If everyone was feeling the need to differentiate Eurogamer from other gaming outlets than the final choice was simply the expression of such individual biases.

Not saying this is what happened but that we, as individual, makes choices that might be irrational or follow specific rules even if we don't realize that.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like rewarding Tetris GOTY is a slight against all the games releaed in 2018. Light we know you poured your soul into this new thing but we would rather reward the 276th Tetris release.

"Slightly edited this post to avoided people reading into it as a lazy devs thing"
Someone is cutting it close for the Absolute Worst Post Of The Year award. But ta made it.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Isnt RDR2 just the same open world Rockstar game we've been playing since 2001? Isn't GOW just the same 3rd person action game publishers have been pumping out in the hundreds for over a decade?

Gaming is an iterative medium. Tetris Effect happens to be a pinnacle of iteration in it's genre.
You're being incredibly reductive towards GoW and RDR2 and very generous to Tetris Effect

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
Like the Eurogamer dudes, I'm an unashamed Miz fanboy thanks to Rez. But even so, if you'd told me a year ago that a version of Tetris would be one of my GOTY, I'd have laughed in your face. But here we are. Tetris Effect is wonderful. Everything it adds to the Tetris formula is for the better. Plus it looks and sounds incredible. Then you put the PSVR helmet on and ...

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the answer.

Isn't Fornite a 2017 game?

Anyway, individual choices might also follow, whether it is consciously or not, specific rules aimed at different purpose. If everyone was feeling the need to differentiate Eurogamer from other gaming outlets than the final choice was simply the expression of such individual biases.

Not saying this is what happened but that we, as individual, makes choices that might be irrational or follow specific rules even if we don't realize that.
Well, I did my own list before any of this and Tetris is my number two so I certainly was on board here.

Fortnite BR is basically a 2018 game, I think. Definitely not a game I enjoy, though.

What else would you choose? My GOTY was Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom which I feel is a better designed, more inspired game than any of the big AAA titles. It's a true classic that will stand the test of time in my book. I didn't choose it to be unconventional- I went with it because I love it so much.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It's honestly just sad to see a forum full of so many people who would consider themselves to be gaming enthusiasts unable to comprehend a game that isn't a big budget narrative driven adventure/action game winning GOTY.

My 2018 GOTY is WarioWare Gold, just sayin'.

My point wasn't whether Tetris Effect is a wonderful game but that it is not really a new game in mechanics.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You're being incredibly reductive towards GoW and RDR2 and very generous to Tetris Effect
So a game should be rewarded by team size and budget then?

RDR2 was 'fine' for me and that's about it. Utterly gorgeous but I'll never finish it as I simply have no desire to continue. It's well made but doesn't excite me.

God of War is superb and I enjoyed it but it's one of those games I'll probably never play again. It's a great one and done kind of game. Which I have a huge amount of respect for.

My 2018 GOTY is WarioWare Gold, just sayin'.

My point wasn't whether Tetris Effect is a wonderful game but that it is not really a new game in mechanics.
I don't think that's important in this decision. There's more to a game than whether it has new features or not.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Well, I did my own list before any of this and Tetris is my number two so I certainly was on board here.

Fortnite BR is basically a 2018 game, I think. Definitely not a game I enjoy, though.

What else would you choose? My GOTY was Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom which I feel is a better designed, more inspired game than any of the big AAA titles. It's a true classic that will stand the test of time in my book. I didn't choose it to be unconventional- I went with it because I love it so much.

I'm pretty sure Fortnite Battle Royale was released in late 2017. I don't know what are the cut-off dates to consider a game as a 2018 GOTY contender, though.

My GOTY would be WarioWare Gold followed by Taiko no Tatsujin but I don't work in a gaming outlet so my preferences are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think that's important in this decision. There's more to a game than whether it has new features or not.

Sure. So, technically, we might have new versions of Tetris Effect as GOTY 2019, 2020 and so on as long as Eurogamer journalists think those are the best games of the respective year?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure Fortnite Battle Royale was released in late 2017. I don't know what are the cut-off dates to consider a game as a 2018 GOTY contender, though.

My GOTY would be WarioWare Gold followed by Taiko no Tatsujin but I don't work in a gaming outlet so my preferences are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Sure. So, technically, we might have new versions of Tetris Effect as GOTY 2019, 2020 and so on as long as Eurogamer journalists think those are the best games of the respective year?
Tetris Effect isn't a re-release of Tetris, though. It's a new take on it. So it qualifies. A re-release in a GOTY pack wouldn't work since it would be genuinely the same game.

There's nothing wrong with your opinions. If you were doing a GOTY list of your own for a major outlet I would expect you to choose those games. What good would such a list be otherwise? I made my own video on my Games of the Year based entirely on what I enjoyed most. Nothing more, nothing less. If your decision is influenced due to status of the site then it wouldn't useful or interesting.

There is no objective best game, after all. It's all subjective.

As for Fortnite, hey, I'm with you. I don't like it at all would be happy if it disappeared forever. I would never have included it on a 2018 list.

My point about 'new' mechanics is centered around the fact that I see more value in refining ideas as opposed to always trying to innovate. Taking an existing concept and perfecting it tends to lead to the most memorable games for me.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this better in VR? Seems like Sony has 2 VR goty titles this year.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Also Giant Bomb's game of the year.

With the variety of games we've had in the last ten years, you'd think people could get beyond the idea now of lame ass AAA should win.

People enjoyed this game more than that one. There is no wrong answer.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope people upset that a AAA game didn't win GOTY are scrutinizing everybody In the Era GOTY thread as well. A lot of em didn't even vote for RDR2 or GoW. They need to be called out don't they?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It is amazing but I think in 2018 you need to have either great multiplayer or a lenghty single player mode. I am leaning towards GOW as my GOTY but Tstris Effect was by far the game that "most blew my mind" this year.

The main campaign lasts about 2 hours, each stage is amazing on its own way, and there are plenty of effect modes that test you a lot, but I feel like there could have been some bigger incentive for replayability, which in general is easier to be achieved by having some competitive mode.

I've read many GOTY lists that list Tetris in the Top 10 and I am so glad I pre ordered it. Well worth the money.

I hope there is some DLC down the road (dont expect it though)

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the lack of multiplayer might be some kind of Tetris licensing weirdness.
This seems incredibly unlikely. Puyo Puyo Tetris came out last year and had all sorts of multiplayer Tetris modes, including online competition.

Who is saying it needs to be a big budget game?
That's because this ISN'T actually a forum for gaming enthusiasts.

In general it caters to a particular type of gamer, as did the other place (by design, apparently). As far as I know there isn't any actual singular enthusiast forum, social media helps I guess and there are a some Youtubers that could probably be considered enthusiast.
So this isn't an enthusiast forum and none exists? lol

I'd love to see what you think constitutes an enthusiast forum.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
CvraqWZ.png

Nov 1, 2017
This whole "GotY" list thing is dumb, pointless and outdated. As if one shoe fits all. Personally i am someone who likes their games with a strong narrative, something to draw me in and use as escapism, so Tetris is something I can barely muster the enthusiasm to acknowledge, let alone dislike or get annoyed that a website thinks it's better than every other game that's come out in 2018. Even if it was to be boiled down to pure score attack games i would pick Panel De Pon or Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 over Tetris any day.

Really, all these lists do is to stir up drama and clicks from people who disagree with them and frankly articles like that should be treated like console war fanbait articles and ignored accordingly.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tetris Effect is incredible. As soon as I played the demo, I knew GotY from Giant Bomb and others was its destiny. It's just so good. Of all the games out this year, it's going to be the one I come back to time and time again in the years to come - it's the best Tetris, after all.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Excellent choice from Eurogamer.

I'm sure there'll be a ton of salt about it but as they say it's a genuinely uplifting experience and just speaking for my own personal circumstances, it was a game that I desperately needed this year.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
This whole "GotY" list thing is dumb, pointless and outdated. As if one shoe fits all. Personally i am someone who likes their games with a strong narrative, something to draw me in and use as escapism, so Tetris is something I can barely muster the enthusiasm to acknowledge, let alone dislike or get annoyed that a website thinks it's better than every other game that's come out in 2018. Even if it was to be boiled down to pure score attack games i would pick Panel De Pon or Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 over Tetris any day.

Really, all these lists do is to stir up drama and clicks from people who disagree with them and frankly articles like that should be treated like console war fanbait articles and ignored accordingly.
I agree. Follow the money sheeple.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

You (and others) are the one turning this into war/bait. many others are discussing it positively. Be the change you want to see instead of blaming others.

Is this better in VR? Seems like Sony has 2 VR goty titles this year.
It's a cool experience in VR, but a lot of it is merely a "being alone in a large room" effect, so it's nothing nearly as exciting as Astro Bot or Beat Saber. That said, it is a reminder of how important headphones can be for truly appreciating the amount of work done on an audio level, so VR kinda justifies itself solely on that basis.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
So this isn't an enthusiast forum and none exists? lol

I'd love to see what you think constitutes an enthusiast forum.
Probably something that isn't immediately hostile to anything outside of it's bubble? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean I'm quite happy to talk to you all day about the Candy Crush series, or building Labo kits, or walking simulators, or how Tetris Effect is a good contender for game of the year. But I'm sure someone has a reason why these things don't count somehow.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
This just went from the I had no clue about this game to must buy after watching an hour or so of YouTube videos.

Watching gameplay also somehow completely negated the anxiety attack I was having this morning.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Its a great game but no where near goty level especially with vastly superior games that came out this year.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

Gamers...it's time to rise up
Its a great game but no where near goty level especially with vastly superior games that came out this year.

What makes those 'superior' games better

What do they do that Tetris hasn't done

Nov 1, 2017
You (and others) are the one turning this into war/bait. many others are discussing it positively. Be the change you want to see instead of blaming others.

Expressing an opinion or criticism about something isn't turning it into a war. Go look at the comments section on Eurogamer if you want to dispute that, it's filled with the exact kind of discourse that i personally think is not worthy of discussion. Me saying that isn't somehow starting or contributing to it, if i wanted to do that i would come out with some "Tetris is shit what the fuck are you thinking etc" kind of nonsense.

I think rather than do GotY lists it would be nice to draw attention to hidden gems of 2018. Rather than give more attention to games that are already so relentlessly promoted by advertising let's shine a light on those games that get swallowed up in the maelstrom. Then it doesn't have to be a bunch of people arguing about what game they think is better but the comments section could be people recommending their own picks. But that probably wouldn't generate enough traffic for them to consider it worthwhile.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Just listened to the podcast which was a good one.

Not played Tetris yet so can't comment but there is something I find off about awarding a simple/pure game over an ambitious one. Maybe just highlights what's wrong with GOTY lists

Also seemed like no one had played GoW for more than 7 hours (though I'm sure that's not true)

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just listened to the podcast which was a good one.

Not played Tetris yet so can't comment but there is something I find off about awarding a simple/pure game over an ambitious one. Maybe just highlights what's wrong with GOTY lists

Also seemed like no one had played GoW for more than 7 hours (though I'm sure that's not true)
What's wrong with GOTY lists? Why should ambitious games qualify first?

If God of War wins purely on the basis of being AAA then what's the point?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
God-tier OST, sublime gameplay, amazing and inventive visuals, fantastic VR support. Oh yeah and its Tetris, the most rock-solid design formula ever created... and Tetris Effect is the best iteration of Tetris imo

I can see how it's an easy choice for GOTY. It is probably the most hypnotizing/soothing game I've played in years, as well