Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Tetsuya Nomura's Character Design can definitely be...something
latest
Oof

But because negativity is so rampant, let's instead focus on the good character designs he has done over the years. As you already may know, the man designed the Final Fantasy VII cast, which should speak volumes about what the man is capable of.
Final-Fantasy-VII.jpg

The cloaks worn by the members of Organization XIII in the Kindgom Hearts series are pretty iconic and the basic, stark black designs of the coats help give the characters a strong visual identity while also contrasting and emphasizing the wild looks of the character's hair.

The school uniform inspired designs of the main cast of Type-0 also serve a similar purpose and still have a strong visual identity
1ab27ee9b62410e3be13cda6deb8a18d.jpg

So, Era, what other character designs of Nomura's are you also fond of?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VIII, the clothes look great like Seifer's silver coat. Also Sephiroth and Vincent are great takes on the 'emo' archetype.

Also of course, Auron, the red robe, bracer and broken arm are so intriguing. Yuna's dress is also beautful.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The World Ends With You has amazing character designs. Probably my favorite.

maxresdefault.jpg

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't consider organization XIII good design

Greaf

Feb 26, 2018
They aren't characters but...

latest

latest

latest

latest

If I have to choose playable characters, it would be Edea Kramer or Setzer

1d5fb6ce762eaa8e043dd89008bffb99.jpg

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I adore 90s Nomura. From his very stylized, cartoony VII designs to his more realistic, but still very anime VIII or PE ones.

Since most people already (rightfully) praise VII's designs, I'll bring Squall and Rinoa up. Like most of the cast, I feel they hit the right spot between "weird and anime" and "simple", all while making them look pretty fashionable in a relatively coherent way for their world.
finalfantasy8_conceptart_fbytI.jpg

I hate what has been made of Squall in Dissidia and I'll never be tired of saying so.

latest

Edea has an amazing design. Fun fact, it was apparently first made for VII, but was ultimately used in VIII instead.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the designs are/were pretty good they just got "McDonald's-ed" over the years. became more of a brand stamp than a creative embellishment

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Y'know, I really like the FF7 character designs, but the picture in the OP really highlights how samey the woman are compared to the men. Aerith, Tifa, and Yufi are all the same height with the same body type and similar faces, while the men get a ton of great silhouettes and variety.

I'm curious how that facet of his design has evolved overtime, I'm not super familiar with his work outside of Kingdom Hearts.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For my taste, Jin and his companions from Xenoblade 2 are my favourite.
latest

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
He did the design for Malos and all the other members of Torna in Xenoblade 2.

It's not letting me link the image for some reason. But those designs are really good.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
In an alternate universe, Shuyin would have been Tidus' actual design, instead of what we really received.

Shuyin for reference:

latest

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
It's funny. When it is good it is GOOD!
When it is bad it is BAD!

Someone posted THAT batman here. Wrong thread lol.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
In an alternate universe, Shuyin would have been Tidus' actual design, instead of what we really received

Shuyin for reference:

latest
I really dislike Tidus in-game, but I quite like his concept art:
1bf1b280a35f2e35b880619489ade7b2.jpg

But yeah, his outfit is still stupid (although I really like the colour palette and materials and I'm only ever bothered by the assymetry in his pants). I think the main difference is his hair and face not looking shitty and bloated.

Most Nomuraesque designs in X translated awfully in 3D, to the point where it really takes me out of the game, as only Yuna and Auron don't look like clowns.

I feel the only game to truly succed in making clearly Nomura-designed characters look great in a semi-realistic setting is VII-Remake; all the others are a mixed bag imo.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Honestly, I don't really mind the designs of the Xenoblade 2 antagonists one way or the other, but from a story standpoint there isn't any reason for them to all share the Nomura design sensibility. Most of them have different origins, and despite her introduction as a member of Torna, Nia wasn't designed by Nomura either.

This isn't really his fault as a designer per se, since the developers knew what they were asking for when they hired him, but still.

Last edited:

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I'd post my favorite Nomura art but it's NSFW and I don't wanna get banned!

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
No joke, I love FFX-2's batshit insane designs. Actually I've come around to Nomura's crazy ass designs over the years.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning.

She's filled with Nomura stereotypes (asymmetrical outfit, excess belts), but it somehow just works for her.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
KH III Kairi is a great design....in his hands but not how it was rendered in the videogame.

D0ez-TAVsAAsAPe.jpg

The design team went too far in making her seem young and cutesy.

KH 3 Riku is also the best the character's ever looked even if he looks like a silver haired Sasuke/Noctis.

3221u740c9n11.png

Aqua, Terra and Ventus are all iconic especially the armor. Aqua in particular.

27d3fdba2b01d6aa22e4ce5835d9b3e4.jpg

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
3f7.jpg

TWEWY's cast and Sora (KH 2-3) are also great designs.

The videogame team fail Sora as he's never looked great as he should aside from in KH 2 and KH III's POTC.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like what he did with Squall in the first KH. I don't think it's better or worse than OG Squall, but it's a very cool alternative.

ezlB48T.jpg

But then he ruined it in the other games.

Shit, I don't even mind Cloud cosplaying as Vincent in the first KH. Better than his awful Advent Children costume.

Also, Fang is cool.

6PriBRT.jpg

Overall I'd say FF8 has his best designs, not just of the main but all the characters in the game.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Nomura's Noctis though is by far his best character design:

tumblr_p01fdeU4H31u6i0ico1_540.png

I wish he had colored Yozora's hair black and made both his eyes red rather than one.

Yozora already looks like a Noctis clone anyway.