• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
clear creek still going to go with the september start for those who signed up for in person. But teachers will start to report next week. I guess we'll see how isolated they can make them.

The district sent out an email referencing how they weren't going to follow harris county's timeline of October (CCISD is both Harris and Galveston County) because they were still following 'CDC' guidelines and the dumbass AG Paxton made his comments that health officials couldn't just order school districts to close.

in other words, still pandering to the conservatives in the area

not that it's new news, but republicans are a straight up danger to the country

It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next week or two.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.nbcdfw.com

Plano ISD Parents Plan Rally Outside District Headquarters

A group of Plano ISD parents is planning a rally Thursday outside school district headquarters. They are requesting schools open campuses to students ahead of the current planned date.

sigh...

Just keep your kids home.
These people don't care about their kids. I'd say half the people in Walmart don't even have masks on their kids either. Of course the kids are yelling and running wild through the store to try and infect as many people as possible if they have it too. Saw a teenager the other day walk in with a mask on and immediately pull it down once he got inside. The dad didn't say anything to him.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
2nd day in a row with 300+ deaths in Texas. At least cases are going down so hopefully in a month or so death #'s will follow suit. Hopefully....

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
We moved into our new house yesterday and had some neighbors come over to say hi. Two of them tried to shake my hand. I apparently did not handle it well the first time, according to my wife. She said I looked at the guy like he was an idiot and mumbled something about covid19. I was just a bit shocked that this fool was trying to shake my hand though. My wife coached me after that so I was better prepared to decline a hand shake in the future.

I saw a lot of Trump signs in the neighborhood which were not there back in May when we made an offer. I'm hoping our neighbors aren't complete shitheads.
You should have yelled NO THANKS, I'M SANE!

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
2nd day in a row with 300+ deaths in Texas. At least cases are going down so hopefully in a month or so death #'s will follow suit. Hopefully....
I think it will go back up because people will relax and be complacent. Hell my neighbor and her daughter, one of whom is obese and smokes, the other is over 50 and smokes, flew to fucking Nebraska for a wedding last weekend.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's all we have to go by. Mask usage, for the most part, is very high in indoor places like grocery stores now so if masks work you would expect the spread to slow down...
True, seen alot of places not following the mask mandate though. Hard to trust numbers though once data moved away from CDC

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
We brought in face masks for the first time, here in the UK, and our numbers are creeping up. They might help but I'm not sure you can rely on them alone for bringing down the rate of transmission.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
We brought in face masks for the first time, here in the UK, and our numbers are creeping up. They might help but I'm not sure you can rely on them alone for bringing down the rate of transmission.
Well, this is a weird anecdote. Nobody ever claimed they would 100% prevent transmission. And unless you are claiming that they are INCREASING transmission, then your anecdote isn't valid. The point is to reduce transmission by ANY percentage. Combining that with other methods (encouraging people to stay home, social distancing, etc) is key. Decreasing transmission by even 10% could easily be the difference between a disease turning into a pandemic or it going away after it infects a small group of people.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Well, this is a weird anecdote. Nobody ever claimed they would 100% prevent transmission. And unless you are claiming that they are INCREASING transmission, then your anecdote isn't valid. The point is to reduce transmission by ANY percentage. Combining that with other methods (encouraging people to stay home, social distancing, etc) is key. Decreasing transmission by even 10% could easily be the difference between a disease turning into a pandemic or it going away after it infects a small group of people.

Where did *I* say they would 100% prevent transmission? And I said they were increasing transmission? Weird take on my post for sure.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Where did *I* say they would 100% prevent transmission? And I said they were increasing transmission? Weird take on my post for sure.
Well, you said that after they brought masks in, numbers were creeping up and tried to draw a conclusion from that, which suggests that you think they're ineffective. My point is that people can and will still catch COVID-19 even if everyone wears a mask. The short-term result isn't the point.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
I had a friend in the dfw area have to wait 15 days to get test results back. Do we have any reports on what the expected result time frame is?

Oct 25, 2017
Shows over for county health authority to keep the schools closed. I can't explain how despondent I am right now with kids in humble isd. I am frankly exhausted from my work into this for the past week. To those out there who are going to get sick and die by being forced to work or whose parents chose to send to school because they have the option, we tried our best, we really did. I am sick to my stomach.

news4sanantonio.com

Gov. Abbott supports AG's guidance that health officials cannot order schools closed

SAN ANTONIO - Texas Governor Greg Abbott issued a letter on Friday, standing behind the Texas Attorney General's guidance this week that local health authorities do not have the authoritie to issue a preemptive, blanket closure of schools. Attorney General Ken Paxton's guidance paved the way for...

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Welp, one of the priests my family has been listening to tested positive. The church was doing alright with keeping people safe, but the one time he went to a church that didn't follow policy and he may have infected a hood number of people.

Oct 25, 2017
Our elementary school starts online on tuesday. my daughter has AM classes, son afternoon. he will be fine since he can use his laptop,. my 5 year old, not so much. we will remote as long as we can stand it, there will be a lot of job conflicts unfortunately. Our school will be at 83% face to face starting on the 24th for those who want back in. We have a ton of stay at home parents, but in this real life prisoner's dilemma, almost everyone is rolling the dice. we have so few remote learners that each teacher is handling two grades per day. I think we're at 14 and 12 in our kids classes, so about 1/3 smaller than what is going to be in school. Our zipcode has under 100 positives since the beginning, we are upper middleclass and a bit isolated for houston area. We are going to try to hold on to after labor day and see what shakes out. I have heard disturbing stories from people in the know who talk to teachers and nurses, so its

Despite starting face to face on the 24th, the school by forcing all to do 2 weeks of remote is creating some accountability for when things inevitably go wrong, everyone will have trained on the system. I think that's a good move. We have 40k students in our system, so not very large, but some of our high schools will have around 1000 students there daily (even after an a/b schedule)

The Texas counties do not have the stomach to fight the school boards, so it is what it is.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Austin ISD pushed their start date into September and are doing the first four weeks virtual only, with the option to do four more virtual only after that. Round Rock ISD board is apparently having an emergency meeting today to see if they want to do the same.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile Leander ISD and Pflugerville ISD are full steam ahead for starting next week.

Oct 25, 2017
What are the laptops the schools are issuing? Chromebooks with built in webcams?

We picked up a Lenovo Chromebook for my son, and after using it a bit, wish we had pulled the trigger on March for one. Keeping him in the dining room away from the distractions of our office is going to be key.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What are the laptops the schools are issuing? Chromebooks with built in webcams?

We picked up a Lenovo Chromebook for my son, and after using it a bit, wish we had pulled the trigger on March for one. Keeping him in the dining room away from the distractions of our office is going to be key.
My wife teaches in Mesquite ISD and she had to give up her Chromebook for students. So that's what I'd assume.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I think we're doing Chromebooks for primary and laptops for secondary. Laptops for teachers.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
im super glad i dont work in IT for education right now. I feel for all the IT pros trying to sort this shit out for faculty and students.

if i did work in IT for education I might have been fired for pushing to sort this shit out in May. As some of you may recall you argued with me a few months ago when i was saying they should be prepared to be virtual in the fall.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Link

The number of Texans being tested for the coronavirus has fallen sharply in recent weeks, a trend that has worried public health experts as officials consider sending children back to school while thousands more Texans are infected each day.

In the week ending Aug. 8, an average 36,255 coronavirus tests were administered in Texas each day — a drop of about 42% from two weeks earlier, when the average number of daily tests was 62,516.

At the same time, the percentage of tests yielding positive results has climbed, up to 20% on average in the week ending Aug. 8. Two weeks earlier, the average positivity rate was around 14%.
Wtf are you doing Texas.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the positive rate over the past week or so fell due to a backlog of negatives that hadn't been fully processed.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The data is fucked now. Number of deaths, total hospitalization occupancy and positivity rate are the 3 things to watch. And based on those it's getting worse at the same place as before. The new cases per day and COVID-19 official hospitalizations are fudged either intentionally or because healthcare workers are strained.

And this is before the massive school spike in 3-4 weeks.