• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
NEW YORK, Aug 5 (Reuters) - Texas Governor Greg Abbott, a Republican, said on Friday he has started to send buses carrying migrants to New York City in an effort to push responsibility for border crossers to Democratic mayors and U.S. President Joe Biden, a Democrat.

The first bus arrived early on Friday at the city's Port Authority Bus Terminal in midtown Manhattan carrying around 50 migrants from Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Honduras and Venezuela. Volunteers were helping to steer people who had no relatives in town to city resources.

"Most of them don't have anybody to help. They don't know where to go, so we're taking them to shelters," said one volunteer at the bus station, Evelin Zapata, from a group called Grannies Respond.

One family of four from Colombia, who ended up at a homeless intake center in the Bronx, were unsure of where they would spend the night. Byron and Leidy, both 28, said they left the country's capital Bogota because they were having trouble finding work. They did not provide their last name.

"It's a little easier to enter the country now, before it was very hard to come here with children," said Leidy, who traveled with her kids Mariana, 7, and Nicolas, 13. She said the family had hoped someone they knew in New York would take them in, but that plan did not work out. "We came here because they said they would help us find a place to sleep to not have to stay in the street," Leidy said.

Abbott, who is running for a third term as governor in November elections, has already sent more than 6,000 migrants to Washington since April in a broader effort to combat illegal immigration and call out Biden for his more welcoming policies. read more

Biden came into office in January 2021 pledging to reverse many of the hardline immigration policies of his Republican predecessor, former President Donald Trump, but some efforts have been blocked in court.

Abbott said New York City Mayor Eric Adams could provide services and housing for the new arrivals.

"I hope he follows through on his promise of welcoming all migrants with open arms so that our overrun and overwhelmed border towns can find relief," Abbott said in a statement.

Arizona Governor Doug Ducey, another Republican, has followed Abbott's lead and bused another 1,000 to Washington.

U.S. border authorities have made record numbers of arrests under Biden although many are repeat crossers. Some migrants who are not able to be expelled quickly to Mexico or their home countries under a COVID-era policy are allowed into the United States, often to pursue asylum claims in U.S. immigration court.

www.reuters.com

Texas governor sends migrants to New York City as immigration standoff accelerates

Republican Greg Abbott, who is running for a third term as governor in November elections, has already sent more than 6,000 migrants to Washington.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
My governor sucks.

Feels gross that those in need are being sent halfway across the country into blue states to send a political message rather than, you know, supporting them. Same thing about bussing homeless to Austin, TX, instead of having local support. So they can point to Austin as some homeless hellhole to the NIMBYs. (Don't get me wrong, it's a problem here, but it doesn't help the problem by just bussing in people on already strained systems for political points.)

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Are these the same folks that Texas would otherwise be sending to DC (where our mayor hasn't exactly been picking up the slack…)?

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice that this practice is finally out in the open. Red states have been doing this for a while.
Yeah. I used to have cops that I worked around that would tell me about the bus loads of homeless that would arrive in the city. They would also talk about how it was NYC sending them and LA was a pushover for allowing them but that part never sounded right lol

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Texas obviously doesn't need as much federal assistance for border security. Slash it until cross country bus rides are no longer tenable.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading about southern states busing homeless people to California years ago. Funny its just out and about now as a political message and not just helping your fellow human being

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
So normally do the migrants just stay in Arizona and Texas? I didn't know if there was a system setup that does relocate accordingly but not as political pawns. For example, St Louis was selected as a main point for refugees during the Bosnian War which is why they have the largest Bosnian population in the states

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading about southern states busing homeless people to California years ago. Funny its just out and about now as a political message and not just helping your fellow human being

Will be curious to see what the stance will be for Southern states when they eventually run out of water and become inhabitable long term. If this is how their governments treats people in need right now.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Not that I agree with the political message nor treating humans like cattle, but isn't this a net positive for the immigrants upon arrival to NYC?

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I agree with the political message nor treating humans like cattle, but isn't this a net positive for the immigrants upon arrival to NYC?
i mean its probably better for them rather than being deported and having to pay money to cross again. hopefully they can get some help and get to where they want to go.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any chance of Abbot losing in November?

Unless something has drastically changed, no. As someone who unfortunately lives in this shithole state, I sure do love Beto though.

projects.fivethirtyeight.com

Texas : Governor : 2022 Polls

The latest political polls and polling averages from FiveThirtyEight.

You can have more than 2 terms as governor in Texas?

Yep, it's one of 14 states with no term limits.