signal

Oct 28, 2017
www.whio.com

Texas thermostats adjusted remotely during heat wave residents claim

Some residents in Texas are feeling the heat despite setting their home thermostats at a comfortable temperature.
www.theverge.com

PSA: If you enrolled in an energy saver program, your smart thermostat may adjust itself

All the smart energy savings programs are opt-in
Texas residents with smart thermostats are eligible for a number of programs, sweepstakes, and discounts which effectively allow energy providers to adjust their thermostats remotely during periods of high energy demand. Known as demand-response programs, some Texans were taken by surprise this week, as their thermostats were turned up without any action from them.

But that's the way these Seasonal Savers programs, typically offered via utility companies across the country, are intended to work. Nest owners can also opt-in to Seasonal Savings directly via Google, Nest's parent company, even if their local utility isn't participating in such a program. Raising or lowering thermostats by a few degrees, can, in theory, reduce the strain on the energy grid and prevent the need for rolling blackouts.

In Texas, according to news station KHOU, customers enrolled in the Smart Savers program in exchange for a sweepstakes entry. Some companies offer discounts or rebates on smart thermostat purchases, or discounts on their electric bills. And, you can still adjust your thermostat manually if a remote adjustment is too high or too low for your comfort. You may end up playing a cat-and-mouse game with the remote controller, however, which could re-adjust the temperature as long as the high demand period persists.

A bit confusing as to why this is news since people signed up for this demand response program, but I guess there's something suspicious about your house heat being adjusted remotely lol. 78f (25c) isn't that bad at least.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow losing the ability to regulate the temperature IN YOUR OWN DAMN HOUSE to a giant corporation is the most dystopian cyberpunk news item of the week.

In the future, controlling your own temperature will be only for the rich.

You will sweat or shiver when we say so, peasant!

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Hopefully people remember this and the winter power failure next time elections happen. this ERCOT shit is insane as a non-texan looking in. Elect someone to get Texas hooked up to one of the major grids ASAP.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
78 sounds fucking unacceptable. I regularly keep my central AC at 72 or so, unless it gets really hot out, then I may go a bit lower.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona has a similar plan, you have to sign up for it and own a smart thermostat. You can also opt out at any time, including just after it says your thermostat with no negative consequences.

That said, i wouldn't give the Texas power company the benefit of the doubt after everything that's happened this last year.

(For the record, we already run our AC at 82 during the summer cause 300-400$ power bills hurt)

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would not be able to sleep at night at 78.

I would be rolling around in bed like a lost soul on the devil's frying pan.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are freaking out. This is going to be the norm going forward as well as water limitations. Welcome to the shitty future we were assured when our governments did nothing to stop it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People signed up to this because of free stuff, then they're surprised when the thing they signed up to happens?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
78 is borderline AC for me because I have ceiling fans in almost every room of my house and would rather use those.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
10 years from now:

- I need a bath
Robotic voice from the wall: Sorry, you already used your quota

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Damn my AC doesn't go above 69 i would probably have a heatstroke.

Also, what the fuck. Is it legal to do this? Glad i don't have any smart bullshit.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
You people are weird. I live in New England and our place regularly goes over 80 in the summer. Fan and ice water, opening the windows at night. Even when we put in window AC we keep it around 80 and only in the bedroom. Yeah if it gets to like 90 that's a problem, but you don't need a perfect temp inside 24/7.

Then winter the thermostat is 64 at the highest, 60 during the night.

Let you body acclimate and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. I guess inside temps are different than outside but that's still warmer than most people I'd image.
No clue what the neighbors do, but when 82 is still more than 30 degrees cooler than outside (i forgot to check today, yesterday it was 117), it still feels good (we also lower it to 78 at night to make sleeping more comfortable)

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Meh

We have temperature here above 45°C and the air conditioner is set to 28°C and we are perfectly fine

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I need to do more on this front myself. I'm usually a 72-degree kind of person as well, but I also know that I can adjust my comfort zone if I tough it out for a few days.

But I don't live in Texas, where it's definitely hotter than where I live, so moving away from my brief anecdote, this is just the way things are going to continue to go. If you don't opt to have you thermostat remotely adjusted, then I guess you'll just have to live with rolling blackouts from time to time. And I'm certain that will be the reality in my own area before long, too.

We've fucked up huge on climate change.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You people are weird. I live in New England and our place regularly goes over 80 in the summer. Fan and ice water, opening the windows at night. Even when we put in window AC we keep it around 80 as a only in the bedroom.

What's the point of AC if you set it to 80...

Oct 25, 2017
You people are weird. I live in New England and our place regularly goes over 80 in the summer. Fan and ice water, opening the windows at night. Even when we put in window AC we keep it around 80 as a only in the bedroom.

You have zero idea of what you are talking about. We are talking about areas that are 90+ with a humidity of higher than 60%. If I did this at my house everything inside would be wet.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather install solar panels on the roof instead of going to 78 degrees on the AC while I'm at home

V23

Oct 27, 2017
images

grand

Oct 25, 2017
78 is perfectly fine as long as you keep the humidity in your home low. Humidity is what causes the discomfort more so than the temp alone.

Where in Texas/the country you are will greatly change how difficult that is though due to regional fluctuations in humidity (good luck if you're near the gulf)

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
"Giant corporation does the exact thing I specifically gave them the ability to do so I could save money, and I'm outraged!"

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
You people are weird. I live in New England and our place regularly goes over 80 in the summer. Fan and ice water, opening the windows at night. Even when we put in window AC we keep it around 80 as a only in the bedroom. Yeah if it gets to like 90 that's a problem, but you don't need a perfect temp inside 24/7.

64 is the legal minimum in MA in most rental agreements and insurance docs, ain't it? You're playing with fire (well, frozen pipes) going below that.

Massachusetts law about winter heating

Laws, regulations, cases, and both web and print sources on legal requirements for winter heat, and sources of assistance.

At 80 I'd be a sweaty mess unless the fan was pointed directly at me. I think I've survived one summer in Boston without AC.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Southern California Edison has a similar thing I think as well.

78 isn't that bad though inside, especially when outside it was 118 where I live in Central California. We have our house set to 76 currently, and I think I would be fine with 78 once I acclimated as long as it stayed mostly consistent throughout the house.

74 and below is often to cold for the inside especially for my parents and it also just makes venturing outside a bit worse as well when there's over 30 degrees difference between the inside and outside

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the way this works is that people sign up for this "service" in exchange for a lower bill, or that's the idea.

I imagine the easy fix is just disconnecting your thermostat from Wifi for a bit and you can do whatever you want, but then you probably lose access to whatever discount you opted into receiving because the power company won't be able to communicate with the thermostat.

My info is from reading over comment sections in reddit and tiktok so someone correct me if it's all bullshit.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This puts a whole new spin on that "Hot Dads in your area wanna know if you've been touching the Thermostat".

Absolutely insane man.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Somehow losing the ability to regulate the temperature IN YOUR OWN DAMN HOUSE to a giant corporation is the most dystopian cyberpunk news item of the week.

In the future, controlling your own temperature will be only for the rich.

You will sweat or shiver when we say so, peasant!

They didn't lose the ability to regulate the temperature in their house, you can set it at any time. I have Mysa thermostats and can set them at any time.

Oct 27, 2017
You people are weird. I live in New England and our place regularly goes over 80 in the summer. Fan and ice water, opening the windows at night. Even when we put in window AC we keep it around 80 and only in the bedroom. Yeah if it gets to like 90 that's a problem, but you don't need a perfect temp inside 24/7.

Gets to 90?
It's still 90 at 10pm in the summer.

Babyshaq90

Oct 28, 2017
I think 78 is pretty reasonable when it's over 100 outside. We also run ceiling fans as well so it helps in maintaining the cool feeling. I would never let my local power company be able to change my temps for any benefit though. Possibly another situation where people didn't read the fine print.

MaxDOL

Oct 31, 2017
What? 25*C is perfect temperature.
I lived in Bangkok Thailand and i set AC to 25*C.
If it lower than 25*C, my nose will start running and i will also sneeze a lot.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Wait, what do you guys set your thermostat at? I keep it at 77 and sometimes it still gets too cold for me at night.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
What? 25*C is perfect temperature.
I lived in Bangkok Thailand and i set AC to 25*C.
If it lower than 25*C, my nose will start running and i will also sneeze a lot.
It is, but when it's 115° (46℃) out, you need something colder to reach equilibrium.

I'll crank mine into the 60° range and then bump it up/turn it off once it settles to where I'm not going to die in five minutes.