• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Kimberly_Outfit2Concept.jpg

We need more baggy pants in games. They can add so much to a character design.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
YvThgV8.png

This was me seeing Corvo's Dishonored 2 design for the first time

ZeBFGVd.png

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Literally laughed out loud.

Clive from FF16's final look is a little ... over-cooked, imo. Whoever was working on that design just kept asking themselves "how can I make him cooler?" and didn't know when to stop.

Leather pants, big cape, deep-cut V-neck, big pauldrons, multiple belts and holsters, etc. ... A cool design, but it doesn't really fit the rest of the game, or Clive's personality.

Lore-wise, the armor belonged to his dad, but that dude wasn't an edgelord either. No idea where this "attitude" came from.

clive-rosfield-2048x1536-11299.jpg
Clive is sick. I truly cannot understand how anyone can prefer his previous outfit. It's boring as shit. There's nothing good about it.

latest

KH peaked with Xemnas

Anger and hate are supreme
Embrace……nothing.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If enemies count, the Chapel Giants in Bloodborne are so great looking that they're the reason I bought the game. I think it's the hat that really brings it all together.

Church_Giant_Oedon_Chapel.jpg

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Gonna shout out one of my favorite mobile games right now, Path to Nowhere. There is a wealth of great designs, so I'm just gonna showcase three: (left to right) Zoya, Garofano, Hamel and Mantis. I picked these as a means of showing how much the devs are willing to play around with different styles and vibes.

uqbQkvq.png
fYo33Ij.png
K6b5lI0.png
qPhgHgy.png

Even if you're not interested in trying the game out, I highly rec having a look at the game's character designs, there's some really great ones!

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
cerise-posing.gif

cerise from vividlope is fuckin adorable

store.steampowered.com

VIVIDLOPE on Steam

VIVIDLOPE, the head-spinning, mind-bending arcade game with a puzzle touch! Master the imaginative realm, where the gravity doesn't quite work as you're used to, overcome your foes and keep on painting!

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023
Ship_Screenshot_2024.04.17___20.53.08.19.png

I'm gonna be hella annoying about Hades II this year.
I can't say mine because it hasn't been shown officially yet, but yes.
Another one:

latest

Guilty Gear's Giovanna.

07e9af3f58105f89c0aaa107ff2cbf0ad457fb97.gifv

The hair, the collared shirt, the big ass cuffs, the huge pants, the suspenders... and of course, the dog. I love this design.

Both great picks. People love to dump on Luso but I love that outlandish, garish design.

Futaba's design is perfect.
Honestly like... most of Guilty Gear is this to me. Strive just doesn't miss. Huge shoutout to Goldlewis though. That is some GOAT design right there.
latest

inkblot

Mar 27, 2024
qfJ0lzZ.png

Anything from Splatoon is SO good. Pearl and Marina are really fantastic character designs!
AND THE SHOP OWNERS ARE AMAZING! (yes I know my avatar, lol)

Peerless

Sep 10, 2018
As previously entioned, Path to Nowhere has some GREAT designs. Really stands out from the average design in a gacha game. Langley's design is probably my second fav.
latest
Lenneth.jpg
latest

Two others that I love are Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile and Reinhardt from Dies Irae.

inkblot

Mar 27, 2024
You have good taste friend.

haha thank you, fun fact, when I originally saw the OG Splatoon reveal during E3 I wasn't super into it. Then later on during previews I saw the lineup of shop owner designs and I was like OH what kind of world are they building here?? I've fallen down the Splatoon rabbit-hole ever since 😂

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say mine because it hasn't been shown officially yet, but yes.

Honestly like... most of Guilty Gear is this to me. Strive just doesn't miss. Huge shoutout to Goldlewis though. That is some GOAT design right there.
latest

Yeah, Strive is on another level. Some of the greatest designs in games period.

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't get much better than Sonic imo.

_53624670_3098first.jpg

purepng.com-mario-runningmariofictional-charactervideo-gamefranchisenintendodesigner-1701528634419bozsi.png

I just realized now that they both have dad bods. They hide their thinning hair by either slicking it back or wearing a hat, have a bit of a gut, and of course they're both pretty out of touch with fashion.

Is this why they both became video game icons when we were all kids?

Anyhoo, my suggestion would be Faith from MIrror's Edge:

faith_mirrors_edge_catalyst-t2.jpg

The complete antithesis of the dad bod. Athletic woman with functional but chic clothes and a realistic style. Unfortunately, sticking to their principles made these games underappreciated when they came out.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Arno Dorian's base design is Assassin nobleman perfection. His raider outfit in the DLC, which is reflective of his state of mind at this point in his journey, is also an excellent design and makes for an interesting contrast to his regular appearance.

wp7060045.jpg

two-dots-studio-td-acu-dlc-final-a.jpg