• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Koei Tecmo decided "Lets make the best Link, Zelda and Ganondorf designs" for Hyrule Warriors, didn't they?

latest

latest

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
latest

Tibarn Fire Emblem PoR+Radiant Dawn.

And Caineghis Fire Emblem PoR+Radiant Dawn.

latest

And for good measure, Naesala PoR+Radiant Dawn.

latest

Last edited:

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
I have always been a big fan of the Panzer Dragoon art style, but I really think the design of Azel was particularly strong. Really sells the humanity of the character while retaining that otherworldly nature of her being a techno-organic construct.

azel-from-panzer-dragoon-saga-v0-alwi6ueceauc1.jpg

And when she throws on an oversized jacket repping Crayman's fleet she sells it:

5e2a98fe0aef7bafa6e9f1d7a021350a.jpg

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
latest

Mega Man X took everyone's favorite cute blue bomber and turned him into a badass robot warrior. You might even say he's a super fighting robot.
4-year-old me could not tell you of a cooler character design.

They must be hard to animate because otherwise they would be taking over. Drawing / designing baggy pants is so fun.
You're probably right. I would imagine the bigger/baggier the clothes, the more you have to worry about clipping

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kurtz from Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes:

HFKGRbu.png

Retso from Suikoden 5:

latest

Mamie / Mei Mei from Suikoden 2 and 3:

Mamie_%28S3_character_art%29.png

Antonio from Suikoden 1 and 2:

latest

Hai Yo from Suikoden 2:

latest

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
Some of the character designs from Ar Tonelico, even if I despised everything about AR3, I'll still say I liked Akane.

Akane.%28Ar.Tonelico.III%29.full.304679.jpg

And I always liked the tech takes on the Goddess Suits.

Origins.jpg

Milla Maxwell
latest

Furi: The Strap
The_Nemesis-1016x445.jpg

Furi: The Burst
maxresdefault.jpg

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Aloy
8f5e1119dc14b3ec529020895c4b2cdf.jpg

Exceptional character design. Her original outfit is iconic but all of them end up working because of great design decisions.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
pjimage-2.jpg

I really feel that Final Fantasy VII's main characters are probably Nomura's strongest work. All designed to be distinct and iconic enough to both be highly memorable while still being recognizable in the extremely low polygon count character models seen in game.
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest

They're just really smart designs. Exaggerated features, proportions, and outfits with very distinct silhouettes and color schemes with a lot of scalable details worked into their higher fidelity counterparts to allow for players to fill in the gaps.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
say what you will about Bayonetta, but I fucking love her white dress and GIANT hat at the start of Bayo 2

Zje9GV.gif

fa109011bc3bd2ee658ec72cea3af58b.jpg

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Meta_Ridley_mp1_Artwork.jpg

latest

Meta Ridley from Metroid Prime—way for Retro to pull off such a flawless transition into 3D in their first damn game. He just looks so EVIL and cunning; still my favorite Ridley design.

Last edited:

Yurei

Feb 28, 2023
Juri -Street Fighter 4
juri-sf4-portrait.jpg

Luxray - Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
405.png

Main cast - The World Ends with You
MV5BZmYzOTQ3NjQtNzVmYy00ZjE5LTk0ZWUtZDQ4Y2MxY2IzZWYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_.jpg

Jackcent

Apr 5, 2024
The entire SF2 roster is genuinely incredible in how much those designs nail everything their going for and how iconic they still are, but this time I wanna give a shout out to the alpha/0 designs.
In particular Chun Li's it can't have been easy to make a good outfit for her with how iconic her original is but they did a man great job

Speaking of redesigns, I don't know how hot this take is, but to me Toon Link is peak Link design. It's the only time drawings of him feel as though he's allowed to act silly or joyful yet still retain a sense of adventure of courage
zww-link13.jpg

MidasTouch

Dec 29, 2023
Clive from FFXVI is an incredible main character design, but if we're going to talk about CBU3 cooking too hard, then this is the best example:

1200px-Eulogia_render.jpg

it's giving Chandler wearing everything in Joey's wardrobe

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I offer up Miles' 2099 suit from Spider-Man 2. It just looks so slick and aesthetically pleasing, particularly the second palette from the left. Of course, it's no Bodega Cat suit, but perfection only comes around once and we'd be foolish to chase it again.

4208540-marvelsspider-man2_20231017101403.jpg

Another I really enjoy is Eunie from Xenoblade 3. That hoodie is such an effortlessly cool look.

1200px-Eunie.png

And Karlach from Baldur's Gate 3 is perfect in any form. No notes.

62e9c-16925693330830-1920.jpg