• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The things that first come to mind other than Lightning are

Dead Space 2 Isaac

DEAD-SPACE-2.jpg

And let's face it, Leonard Boyarsky and the Interplay team cooked hard because this shit is still iconic, there's a reason why nearly every single game has it as it's cover art:
amazon-fallout-series-power-armor-game-rant.jpg

Also shout outs to the Organization XIII Cloaks from KH2

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Sonic (Adventure Redesign)

992px-SA1_S_d1.png

Team Fortress 2 - The Mercs

Team_Fortress_2_new.jpg

Mirror's Edge - Faith

fiEID6G.jpg

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Samus Light Suit

1200px-Light_Suit_mp2_Artwork.png

Pokemon X&Y - Charizard X

VwniFuoOzpNZVnI3yYkqVYGYYIhnLl7FsG61tOe9ais.jpg

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I can't say mine because it hasn't been shown officially yet, but yes.

Honestly like... most of Guilty Gear is this to me. Strive just doesn't miss. Huge shoutout to Goldlewis though. That is some GOAT design right there.
latest
True, not a bad design in Strive.

My only criticism would be that the colors tend to be rather muted overall. The blues on Brisket's clothes, ABA's teal hair, Elphelt's pink jacket... all should have looked a lot bolder imo. And don't get me started on Millia's dull coat.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Only one? I don 't think I can make that kind of difficult decision, so… I really liked Lili from Tekken 8. The main reason why I even bought the game is seeing Lili and thinking "that's cool!"
latest

I never played Guilty Gear, but Elphelt looks great.

latest

For the upcoming Total Warhammer 3 DLC I also think that Elspeth von Draken is definitely my favourite of the three.
wh3_tod_dlc_elspeth-von-draken_web_homepage_3840x2160.jpg

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
TH175Yuuma.png

Sheep with shark teeth and a giant spork is a winning combination in my book.

(Yuuma Toutetsu from Touhou Project)

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
I could go with any Nomura design, but today I'm picking Versus XIII Noctis:

latest

And this one is a very personal pick, but Crow from Persona 5. He looks like Light Yagami, he has a cool Light-aligned costume, it's red and white (my favorite color combo), he's the "sixth ranger".

51StrMjthDL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_.jpg

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
latest

Nagoriyuki Strive is perfection. The white perfecto kimono is godike chara design.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Some of my favourite ladies:

May from Guilty Gear is almost too good. Especially her Strive design. You think she's a small frail girl? Think again! She's a pirate with a huge anchor she'll totsugeki you to hell. Dang, I could name half the Guilty Gear roster in this one post. Baiken, Giovanna, Ramlethal, Jack O. It's an entire buffet!
e9bc543c1d2c4bf88c52c917660222c06799323d.gif

Of course we have the GOAT Chinese lady. This is still the best Chun-li design ever, her SF6 design does nothing for me.
3a7eab967c5909aaec758ac63de2fc4802377cbf.jpg

And what about this girl? This is such a clean design, I love everything about her.
latest

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
parappatherapper.fandom.com

Cheap Cheap the Cooking Chicken

Cheap Cheap Cheap's the name of my soul! Cheap Cheap the Cooking Chicken (ニワトリ先生 Niwatori Sensei) is, as the name suggests, a chicken who specializes in cooking. Her cooking show is aimed at people who need to make delicious food on a small budget. Her character quirk is her ability to come out...

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not even ironically but I still think the original designs for the FFXIII girls is fantastic. Could have done a better job with the guys for sure but Lightning, Vanilla and Fangs designs will always stick out to me

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Magnamalo from Monster Hunter . I was genuinely struck when I saw him for the first time. When he gets powered up..man this is one bad ass looking monster.There are a lot of others but this popped into my head first
eXK0FRU.png

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
So many favorite designs from great chefs + chef collaborations have been posted already, eg. Jen Zee, Yoshitaka Amano, Tetsuya Nomura, Mari Shimazaki, Shigenori Soejima, Akihiko Yoshida, Yoji Shinkawa, Kazuya Takahashi, Masatsugu Saito + Zelda + Metroid + God of War, etc. Also OP's Deathloop and Hi-Fi Rush mention!

Meanwhile, let Hidari back in the Atelier kitchen to do some more cooking:
happy-11th-anniversary-atelier-ayesha-atelier-dusk-v0-49flz4qbkp8b1.jpg

atelier-ayesha-alchemist-of-the-ground-of-dusk-official-visual-book-28.gif

Legendary runners up:
Dishonored_2_characters.0.jpg

ETA: I was so focused on humans that I didn't think of the feline icon herself from Scott Benson:

ef1y32ullzm81.png

Special mention to the character designs and the wonderful chefs who worked on Dragon Age, Mass Effect, The Last of Us+Part II, and Baldur's Gate 3 as well. It's interesting to realize I'm less familiar with artist names from western studios + harder to attribute a specific design to a specific artist. Matt Rhodes and Ashley Swidowski are two favorites, but yeah, I need to pay more attention.

Last edited:

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
latest

Zelda as a ninja named Sheik is an idea that's not given enough recognition; the design rules, then you realize this is a concept that was used in the very first 3D Zelda game back in 1998. Somebody truly was going off with the one (and Impa, by extension)

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Its definitely an outfit deserving of Adol's status as a legendary adventurer, now with the swag to back it up.

They gave him a pony tail though. Eww.
That's the best part.

Venom Snake is the best Snake design (but the worst actual character, lol). The ponytail, eye scar and robot arm are extremely badass. The shrapnel horn is going a little too far (some classic lack of subtlety from Kojima there) but I absolutely love the rest of his design. Perfect for a 80s era Big Boss; war torn, rebellious, scarred and ready for battle.
I wish it was actually Big Boss.

148681b09eade6d6a00092e4d2ef5fd9.jpg

Breath of the Wild Link is one of the best character reinventions I've seen. Link was known for his Peter Pan/Elf tunic for the longest time, and they completely abandoned that for a brand new design. They gave him longer hair and a knight's ponytail, changed his color scheme to blue, and overall made him look like a much more modern hero. Link always had potential to look cool and here we go.

breath-of-the-wild-is-nearly-here

Samurai Shodown has some of my favorite character designs in the industry, but I always loved Galford, the American ninja.

7b73950d892d94b0b384922dda07e6f8_11b51bbb09aca3f357bba2d4a217502b.jpg

latest

He's got that classic American hero look to him. He wouldn't be out of place as a football star, and his attitude represents everything the Japanese idealize about American culture: cheerfulness, playfulness, optimism and a free spirit. On top of this, he's a ninja with a cool dog surrounded by a bunch of samurai. His design works well because of how it plays off of the rest of the cast.

Bengraven