Oct 28, 2017
Germany
In 2004, a friend and I visited a Kubrick exhibition in Frankfurt/Germany. Back then, the only Kubrick movie I hadn't seen was Barry Lyndon. I planned on doing that asap.

Now, almost 20 years later, I still haven't seen it. There's no real reason, I'm sure I'd like it and know it's a visual marvel, just never bothered to buy or rent it. Maybe this thread will motivate me.

One other example I can think of is Hail, Caesar! I missed it in theatres and never watched it, but I know the rest of the Coen catalogue.

Off the top of my head, I could also name The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and Piranha II, but Fincher and Cameron aren't among my favorite directors, so I have no interest in closing that gap.

So what are yours and why? If possible, try to limit it to directors that you really like.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I've never seen John Carpenter's first or last movie (Dark Star, The Ward). Everything else I've seen multiple times.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Scorsese, The Last Temptation of Christ.
Not a Religious person at all, plus the whole nailing to the cross and its almost 3 hours... hard pass.
Not even Scorsese could get me to watch biblical stuff.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Intolerable Cruelty from the Coen Brothers. I like all of their movies, even The Ladykillers and Hail Caesar. This one just looks so generic though.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I have still not seen Jackie Brown. I hear it's QT's best movie so I should do something about that.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Chris Nolan's The Following. I think Criterion has it but I'm waiting for it to show up somewhere to stream it.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen First Man in Damien Chazelle's filmography.

Just such a boring premise, what a disappointing followup to my favorite movie of all time.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Same as the OP, still haven't seen Barry Lyndon and have been planning to for years. I even grabbed by Kubrick Blu-ray boxset from the garage because I wanted to watch it, but I ended up doing something else and the boxset is still staring me in the face a good year later. I have been watching a lot of bucket-list films (classics I haven't seen yet) and that one and There will be Blood are high on the list, so I really do think I'll get to them both sooner rather than later.

That said, 2023 is an insane years for games I like...

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Aronofsky's The Whale. He lost me after mother! and I don't want to go back.

David Lynch's The Straight Story. No real reason. Just haven't gone around to seeing it.

Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo. No real reason. Just haven't gone around to seeing it.

OP
OP
Man with Knife
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Intolerable Cruelty from the Coen Brothers. I like all of their movies, even The Ladykillers and Hail Caesar. This one just looks so generic though.

Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers are my bottom two Coen movies, saw each of them once when they were released in theatres. Maybe I would change my opinion upon a rewatch, but I can't be arsed really. My gut feeling is that Hail Caesar would join these two, maybe that's why I avoided it so far.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
Django Unchained, I guess. I missed it entirely in theaters, couldn't even say when it came out without looking it up.

Oh, and Nolan's Insomnia. I always forget it exists until I'm looking at Wikipedia or whatever.

I guess technically I haven't seen every Kubrick film since I've never gone back and watched Fear and Desire or Killer's Kiss, but I have seen Barry Lyndon and I can vouch for that one. It's a little less bombastic than some of his others, and its three-hour run time can seem daunting, but it's kept me thoroughly engrossed every time I've watched it.

I have a bunch of Carpenter and Coen Bros. films to catch up on, not even going to try to list all of those. Same with Miyazaki, I've missed a couple of his earliest and most recent.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is fucking hilarious

I always tell people that I don't think Pulp Fiction was all that great and they're just like "Wait, what's wrong with you? Do you like ANY of his movies? What's your favorite?" and I say I've seen just about all of them, and my favorite is Jackie Brown, and most of them are very confused by that.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is fucking hilarious

I always tell people that I don't think Pulp Fiction was all that great and they're just like "Wait, what's wrong with you? Do you like ANY of his movies? What's your favorite?" and I say I've seen just about all of them, and my favorite is Jackie Brown, and most of them are very confused by that.
I love pulp fiction but it's QT's 3rd or 4th best movie.
On topic I've never watched Hateful eight and I'll never watch Ready player one.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
bunch of people in this thread sleeping on Jackie Brown, damn.

anyway I haven't seen Lynch's The Straight Story, and I've only seen part of Inland Empire. It was mostly up to accessibility, but now that I have the Criterion release for Inland Empire I plan on carving out time for that soon. Still waiting on someone to pick up The Straight Story in the US for blu-ray.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I'm a huge David Fincher fan but for some reason I've never seen The Game of Benjamin Button.

Oct 28, 2017

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
When I read the title I actually said "Barry Lyndon" out loud so, uh, that's cool. I'll get to it eventually, I swear.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to seeing Castle of Cagliostro last year, despite having seen all of Miyazaki's other movies as a kid. I've seen other Lupin stuff, too, and I like the property, so I'm not sure why. (It's solid, but obviously one of his weaker movies.)

Haven't seen Death Proof, because I'd really like to watch Grindhouse as one double feature and I'd have to track down a Blu-ray or something since I don't think it's available to stream in that format.

There's a few Coen Brothers movies I haven't seen, but Inside Llewyn Davis is the big one for me, since I'm sure I'd love it (being a big fan of the era) and it's one of their more acclaimed films. Someday.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Jackie Brown

Don't know anything about it, and I think that's why. Never seen a single clip shared of it, no quotes from it or jokes if there are any. Everything else from all of his movies I've seen mentioned elsewhere, even that garbage OUATIH has been popular on TikTok for like a year now cause of all the Brad Pitt scenes

Oct 27, 2017
Michael Mann is probably my favorite director and I still haven't watched the Keep. From most accounts it is terrible though.

Edit: you all are missing out on Jackie Brown.

Oct 27, 2017
I just completed Edward Yang's filmography and I feel better for it. His film are so rich, and sadly roughly half his films aren't readily available. Had to resort to YouTube links and downloads to finish off his material but it's worth the digging. The last off my list was That Day, On The Beach and what a debut from the master.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen most of Christopher Nolan's movies (only like 2 or 3 I haven't) and I have yet to watch The Prestige.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Barry Lydon is his best film and probably one of the greatest films ever - you're missing out.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I still haven't watch Lost Highway. Given how much I like Lynch, and given that I had this soundtrack when I was a teen and listened to it all the time, what's up with me.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Many. I'm not much of a completionst anymore. Watching the entire filmography from important directors hasn't done much for me in life. I've lost passion for movies.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
I was once like many in here in not watching Jackie Brown. Then I wised up and watched it, and I realized I had been ignoring a classic.

As for the topic at hand, it's Kundun by Scorsese. As much as I love Scorsese, I just have no interest in spending two plus hours watching this. Sorry Marty.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Death Proof is my blindspot in Tarantino's filmography. I just have no desire to watch it. It's not even considered one of his "ten films", so it feels like it's not necessary to see.

Everyone who mentioned Jackie Brown should fix that ASAP. I expected it to be a weak film and I was thoroughly wrong.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
We need Jackie Brown course correction here... It's so good.
Incredible soundtrack, a long but lived-in story, and one of my favourite movie couples ever.

ActualBouncyAnemone-size_restricted.gif

1XWN.gif

96EBF49A-FF79-41B5-8413-9453454FA195.gif.17fa51d2a1fbee702538cec98acd1248.gif

youtu.be

Across 110th Street • Theme Song • Bobby Womack

Soundtrack from the 1972 Barry Shear film "Across 110th Street," with Anthony Quinn, Yaphet Kotto, Anthony Franciosa, Paul Benjamin, Ed Bernard, Richard Ward...

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Oh man OP watch Barry Lyndon ASAP. That film is incredible. Easily one of Kubrick's best. Top 3. Easy

You can skip Hail, Ceasar

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
It's funny to see people naming Barry Lyndon, Jackie Brown and now The New World by Terrence Malick since those are my favorite films of those 3 directors.

Michael Mann is probably my favorite director and I still haven't watched the Keep. From most accounts it is terrible though.

Edit: you all are missing out on Jackie Brown.

Now here's one where you're not really missing anything.