• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Felt like a cringy attempt to generate some drama to us back then. Just like every "tragic" scene in Gears of War.
It's best when it's stupid dude-bro-shooting. Setting and characters are just too trashy for being taken serious.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
To each their own. The scene didn't seem dumb or funny to me, it worked for me back then, I was sad and upset for Dom and wanted to pulverize all the baddies.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Christ some people are cynical in here. I liked the scene and felt it was one of the few times the franchise actually had emotional weight and consequence. But yes, the game is tonally quite inconsistent.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Definitely made me laugh back then.
No way I could take it seriously with the character designs, that huge ass revolver he uses, the music, the direction, the general tone of the game outside of this attempt to make an emotional/serious scene etc.
And the German voiceover I heard back then also didn't really help.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It worked as a gut punch for me back in the day. These characters are already living in a hell world and have basically nothing left and then the one person Dom constantly talks about as the reason he goes on evaporates and it basically breaks him. Big budget post apocalyptic stories had not been done over and over and over at this point in gaming history, the bleakness of Gears' "destroyed beauty" was relatively new and interesting. A lot of subtlety in Gears is expressed through architecture and the environment, not so much the characters, who are more or less worn away into blunt instruments by the time we meet them.

Could it have been executed better looking back on it? Yeah, the character models and art direction in Gears 1 and 2 don't especially lend themselves to these types of emotional scenes, but they improve on that a good bit in 3, making everyone slightly less ridiculous proportion wise. As others have mentioned, this incident has very real effects on Dom going forward, it's not shocking for the sake of being shocking. There are other aspects of the overarching story in Gears that have narrative structural issues and tonal inconsistencies, but I always felt like Dom in particular was handled pretty consistently.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
That scene didn't even make me laugh it was just so cringeworthy. I remember me and my brother playing it together and we just looked at each other like wtf.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It would help if the people who say this scene made them laugh would actually go into detail about what it is that doesn't work about it. A few do in some places (like how oversized Dom's pistol is compared to a normally sized human in this universe), but for the most part, people aren't actually going into the why of the scene breaks down.

And if it's just that this is gears and they are constitutionally incapable of getting real pathos out of Gears, then... I mean, I guess, but that's still not a very strong argument. Lots of franchises have silly elements to them, it's like saying you can't take LotR's depictions of the horrors of war seriously because you can't get over how funny looking hobbits are. Or, to be more game related, no one would say that MGS's emotional moments are impossible to take seriously because the maincharacter hides from his enemies in a cardboard box. If you want to tell me how the scene broke down, actually tell me how the scene broke down.

For my part, I watched this when I was 18, in the context of the game, I found it to be emotionally effective, though it is an example of fridging. Today, the biggest issue I have with it is it's pretty explicit support and justification for euthanasia. Like, it didn't even occur to Dom to see if there was any way he could help his wife. Maybe there wasn't, but it's not like he's a doctor. Instead, it's just an immediate bullet to the head. Like, it's not even that euthanasia isn't philosophically justifiable in hyper extreme cases like that, but it's flippant depiction just seems a bit more uncomfortable than it is now.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never played the games but that scene works for me. Not gonna fault people laughing at it though, I've done the same for other major moments in different games.

Did she actually come out of that pod looking normal and transformed like that or was that just misdirection.

thats how Dom saw her after like 10 years of trying to find her, but then Marcus broke the illussion

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tonally Gears 2 is all over the place. I think potentially a scene like this could have worked in a different game, with a different script but yeah, after Gears 2 does the IT'S A GIANT WORM it feels entirely incongruous to have a scene like this. Also, as others have pointed out, it's hard to care about someone who was given precisely zero character development. Then again we have to remember that CliffyB has some... "interesting" ideas about storytelling so i'm amazed it wasn't even worse. It's been a while but CliffyB tweeted about how his inspiration for the female and blind Berserker Locusts who were chained up for breeding purposes came from what were basically his feelings towards women at the time (he was going through his first divorce during GoW1's development). And he cheerily admits that. Yikes?

oh wow a creator takes inspiration from things that are happening in his life

how dares he.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I think the scene is okay. It's the absurdly big hands, bodies, etc. that make it a bit weird to me. :P

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It's a Rambo-type (post-First Blood) game, and unsurprisingly it has Rambo-type storytelling. I never expected any nuance from Gears (well, maybe somewhere in between seeing that trailer, and actually playing the first game, but not after that), and when the scene came up, it was pretty much what I'd expected it to be. It didn't strike me as great, it didn't strike me terrible, it was just in the spirit of the franchise, and I was like "what do I kill next?"

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What's actually funny is that whenever people mention that the scene is amazing it can really go either way. Some think it's hilarious and for some it was a real gutpunch.

Never played the games but that scene works for me. Not gonna fault people laughing at it though, I've done the same for other major moments in different games.

Did she actually come out of that pod looking normal and transformed like that or was that just misdirection.
Misdirection. I remember liking that twist because right away you wonder how she could still look so healthy

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Time certainly hasn't done it any favours, but I remember it having an effect at the time.

The series is obviously known for some of its sillier moments but in spite of that (or unexpectedly because of that?) some of the emotional moments were better than most games from around a similar time.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
As someone who has not finished or played fully a Gears of War game.
I have some questions regarding the scene we saw.
Doms wife was looking good when she came out of that thing she was captured in, but after a few seconds she looks like a zombi? What was she turned into? Also she wasn't attacking as a zombi or whatever she is why did Dom kill her?

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't find it particularly effective or emotional but also not knee-slapping so-bad-it's-funny moment. I just thought "Huh, well that was messed up" and didnt think much of it after it. They were obviously trying but failed the execution. Gears is best when Delta squad are shit talking each other and Cole is being Cole.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
even as a teen the scene was so bad, i laughed at it instead of feeling for dom.

Now Gears 3...............i felt more sympathy there

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
As someone who has not finished or played fully a Gears of War game.
I have some questions regarding the scene we saw.
Doms wife was looking good when she came out of that thing she was captured in, but after a few seconds she looks like a zombi? What was she turned into? Also she wasn't attacking as a zombi or whatever she is why did Dom kill her?

When he first sees her, he sees her as he remembers her, but then he realizes what she actually looks like. He kills her to end her suffering.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
yeah i always hated this fucking narrative that that scene is "hilarious"

I wonder if there is some overlap with the group of people that say they don't cry at movies or media in general.

they're just a little...
giphy.gif

different.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if there is some overlap with the group of people that say they don't cry at movies or media in general.

they're just a little...
giphy.gif

different.

idk man, being honest i have always seen it as console war bullshit.

Sony are the only ones allowed to have "mature" stories and shit.

and people look down on people for havin "FEELS" on a MSFT game

theeeeen again, when i played the game i knew dom was looking for her like for 10 years, that they lost all their childrens and parents on the first days of the War and that maria was like 80% of the reason why Dom keep on living, for the tiny chance of finding her.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
even as a teen the scene was so bad, i laughed at it instead of feeling for dom.

Now Gears 3...............i felt more sympathy there

Now that was completely terrible to me. First of all, they went way overboard with the dudebro attitude earlier in the game, and when that scene happened, it was one of those moments when things happen just because the scriptwriter decided that they should happen. Even though you've been in relatively similar combat situations many times before, now some guy chose that it should be resolved differently for storytelling reasons, robbing players of any sense of agency. I absolutely detest that.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I think the reactions to the scene tell more about the way you played the game or were as a person then, rather than about the scene itself. I feel you've either been invested and stayed invested, or you've lost interest in the storyline/tone before this happened and so felt nothing when it did.

For me, it felt sad; this and Tai's death really sold the bleak prospects of the GoW world. It could have been framed better or the characters might've been more fleshed out more before it happened, but considering the limited way a 3d action shooter can tell it's story, it did it pretty well.

adelante

Oct 27, 2017
You can read whatever you want into it; you've clearly decided I had some kind of agenda with the question and are attacking me for it. Be angry if it makes you feel better about it. There's clearly no conversation to actually be had here.
And when you asked about age, it's pretty clear you already made up your mind correlating the scene being acceptable to a younger, therefore less critical audience anyway. Which is why your claim of not passing judgements is contradictory and honestly a little condescending.

I'd argue that the younger audience probably may not capture the shift from illusion to the grim reality that they were trying to portray.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
yeah i always hated this fucking narrative that that scene is "hilarious"

If I personally found it hilarious, and I assure you that I did, it's not a "narrative".

I also found the Jonathan Kent's death in Man of Steel hilarious for the same reason: A dramatic scene featuring the death of an important character, intended to have real impact, but so poorly executed that the result is simply comedy.

Jul 20, 2018
I haven't played the game. Don't think it's a horrible scene outside of the question of "why didn't they even try to help her?"

adelante

Oct 27, 2017
If I personally found it hilarious, and I assure you that I did, it's not a "narrative".

I also found the Jonathan Kent's death in Man of Steel hilarious for the same reason: A dramatic scene featuring the death of an important character, intended to have real impact, but so poorly executed that the result is simply comedy.

I disagree. The concept behind Kent's sacrifice might be flawed due to its heavy melodrama but I don't think it's poorly executed. However I do find people throwing around comments such as hilarious and embarrassing to be a little dismissive.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christ some people are cynical in here. I liked the scene and felt it was one of the few times the franchise actually had emotional weight and consequence. But yes, the game is tonally quite inconsistent.

Yeah I never really got the hate it received. Obviously it's no Oscar worthy writing or performance, but it does what it wants to do well enough.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Looking bad after so many story based games it's obviously quite bad, but at the time given its comtemporaries it worked. Wasn't particularly well written but it was a pretty grim and dark moment for a character who you'd gotten use to and comfortable with over two games.

In refference to Gears 3, I feel at least there's underused merit in going for major deaths in the sequels rather than the original games. There's a difference between a character dying after you've known them for a few hours of gameplay and after you've known them for several years.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt that scene in Gears 2 was not done well as I just didn't feel anything. However Dom and Cole in Gears 3 as someone mentioned earlier, that was much much better and hit harder.

OP
OP
Oct 29, 2017
What's fridges wife storytelling?

It's a story trope that involves killing women characters, often in gruesome ways, almost entirely for the purpose of the development of a male character's arc.

In the story Maria isn't really a person. She gets brought into the story solely for the purpose of getting murdered but we don't know anything at all about her other than 1) she was Dom's wife, 2) she was pretty (the last time Dom in the game shows the picture to someone as he's looking for her he immediately says "oh, pretty!")

Emotional resonance is similarly centered entirely around Dom. The scene is written so that you feel bad for Dom. I'd be willing to bet a vast majority of the players who said the scene worked for them, mostly were feeling bad for Dom rather than for her. And it's really not the fault of the audience, because the story isn't written for anyone to care about Maria as a person.

Granted this is 11 years ago when gaming started to want to "feel mature" so they'd throw in heart-pulling scenes as a way to give a story depth, and thankfully we've had more and more games recently either do this kind of thing better, or simply embrace the schlock. I think if Epic found itself in a similar position at this day and age they would do it entirely differently, if at all.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an important scene as that's the reason they are down there and that is Doms drive.

He is looking for his wife and while they are down there they discover they are experimenting on humans.

Gears 3 shows Dom at a loss because he misses his wife and he has given up hope on wife

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I felt horrible for both him and his wife. Was pretty damn dark, but also kind of handled in an awkward manner looking back on it.