• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely, Maybe is a perfectly pleasant, better than you'd expect romantic comedy starring Ryan Reynolds from 2008. You might have seen it, and you might not have, but either way you've probably forgotten it exists.

But I haven't forgotten it exists. I've held a mild grudge against Definitely, Maybe for over 15 years because of the way it blue-balled me and sent me on a wild goose chase looking for wireless headphones that looked so incredibly cool, but wouldn't exist for another 8 years.

View: https://youtu.be/WFFhd3ArDig?si=U9ulwE1tvewBzzDO

This is the opening scene of Definitely, Maybe. As you can see, Ryan is wearing what are essentially AirPods. The actual scene even starts a bit before this, you can see him take the buds out of a case that looks remarkably like what we use for these now (edit: I was wrong about this part, you don't see the case he takes them out of). Not only did this movie create these things, but they predicted the technology with startling accuracy! The only reason this looks dated is because Ryan is still listening to music via an MP3 player as opposed to a phone.

This really fucked with me when I was young. I saw these headphones and was like "yoooo, what the fuck are those?!". I scoured the internet and found nothing, eventually stumbling upon an interview with Ryan saying they were fake. I shit you not, I thought about these things constantly, as various lesser forms of wireless headphones came and went. When 2015-2016 rolled around and true wireless earbuds including AirPods released, it was basically a dream come true. Finally, Definitely Maybe could stop fucking with me! And you know what? They were everything I had hoped they would be and more.

But I still sometimes think about why an otherwise completely grounded, straight-faced rom-com felt the need to include this one bit of science fiction. It was so needless, it added nothing to the film, the scene, or Ryan's character, that regular old wired earbuds wouldn't have been able to accomplish. I would love to ask whoever conjured these up at the time why they did so. Must have been just to mess with me.

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
It's been a while, but isn't the movie's premise that he's telling his daughter how he met her mother? Could just be a subtle hint that it takes place a few years in the future?

Lihwem

Mar 17, 2020
I don't have anything to add but just wanted to say I absolutely love this thread

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I love stuff like this.

Sandra Bullock online with her laptop at the beach in 1995's The Net lives free in my brain.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
But companies like Nokia had those wireless earpieces that let you talk on your phone like a douchbag in public so a wireless earbud (without the mic piece) wasn't really a far stretch by 2008.

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously wireless headphones (like earbuds tethered together by a wire) and earpieces existed, but the technology of beaming a wireless signal to two individual non-connected earbuds at once with no latency is much more advanced than that, and didn't exist until 2015. This article even mentions Definitely Maybe lol, so I guess I wasn't alone in it sticking in my brain.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It's a tiny bit of really tame speculative fiction and it also made the shot look better without the wire. Earbuds existed, older wireless earpieces existed, so someone in the prop department cut off the wires from an existing pair. Apple did not invent the idea of compact wireless earbuds, it's a small leap of imagination that anyone could have made.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
lObZdu9.jpeg

FKtWCDO.jpeg

Potentially...hard to tell with potato footage.

Below article says these were the headphones used in the movie though.

www.audiosplitz.com

Advent of Truly Wireless Earbuds

2016 looks set to be the year where truly wireless earbuds make their mark. We take a look at 5 such units - Bragi, Kanoa, Earin, Here and Beats.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So I agree, it's just weird that I've found just as many places being absolutely sure it was those, as people saying "Ryan Reynolds said they were fake".
Yeah, just not really sure how someone could confidently say those are the buds in the movie when just looking at them for a few seconds makes it obvious they're far too large and the wrong shape.
lObZdu9.jpeg

FKtWCDO.jpeg

www.audiosplitz.com

2016 looks set to be the year where truly wireless earbuds make their mark. We take a look at 5 such units - Bragi, Kanoa, Earin, Here and Beats.
Take a look at this page and look at the illustration of these sitting in an ear, they're far too large to be the same.

It just looks like wired earbuds with the wire cut to me in that zoomed in photo.

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
lObZdu9.jpeg

FKtWCDO.jpeg

www.audiosplitz.com

I remember seeing these thrown around on baby google in 2008 by people trying to figure it out. You just need to trust me on this, these aren't the things in the movie. I promise you they aren't.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
" Popularized in the movie Definitely, Maybe (2008), you can see Ryan Reynolds' persona wearing a pair of wireless earbuds. This was nothing short of awesome to movie goers who wanted a simple and convenient audio device. This marked the beginning of a dream of how to make these earbuds mainstream. And FYI, those earphones were in fact the Sennheiser MX W1 which functioned with the help of a wireless transmitter (RF 2.4 GHz band to be precise) that was connected to the 3.5mm jack. "

Sennheiser MX W1 according to this article:

https://www.audiosplitz.com/2016/04/truly-wireless-earbuds-5-part-series.html

But they do look different from the ones in the movie.

Edit - Beaten.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
People coming in here thinking they can crack the code with a simple search.

OP is SLAPPING them down.

Good stuff.

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I would say they created them, scifi and spy movies have had similar stuff for decades.
I dunno dude. Obviously ear pieces for communication and what not have both existed and been depicted forever. But the idea of traditional earbuds for listening to music, except wireless? I don't think that had been portrayed before. I'm sure people have discussed or thought about the idea, it's not exactly the biggest leap in logic, but I can't think of another instance where wireless earbuds, the kind used for media consumption and not a communicative earpiece, had been shown on screen.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno dude. Obviously ear pieces for communication and what not have both existed and been depicted forever. But the idea of traditional earbuds for listening to music, except wireless? I don't think that had been portrayed before.
Fahrenheit 451 talks about people listening to music, radio etc. on "seashells" which are strongly implied to be compact wireless earbuds. It also predicted wall-sized TVs and people having parasocial relationships with the content they watched on them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Fahrenheit 451 talks about people listening to music, radio etc. on "seashells" which are strongly implied to be compact wireless earbuds. It also predicted wall-sized TVs and people having parasocial relationships with the content they watched on them.
Yeah no, I expanded on my post. To be clear I'm not under the impression that 2008 was the first time anyone ever had the idea of wireless earbuds haha.

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Seeing the footage for myself, I'm sticking with "they just removed the wires". Unless there's footage of him putting them in some sort of case...
Lol...what?? I mean, think whatever you want to think, but that makes zero sense. Creating future technology calls more attention to itself than doing all the work to edit out a wire that the entire population knows and recognizes in post.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Lol...what?? I mean, think whatever you want to think, but that makes zero sense. Creating future technology calls more attention to itself than doing all the work to edit out a wire that the entire population knows and recognizes in post.
what if they just cut the wires, not digitally edited them out

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno dude. Obviously ear pieces for communication and what not have both existed and been depicted forever. But the idea of traditional earbuds for listening to music, except wireless? I don't think that had been portrayed before. I'm sure people have discussed or thought about the idea, it's not exactly the biggest leap in logic, but I can't think of another instance where wireless earbuds, the kind used for media consumption and not a communicative earpiece, had been shown on screen.
I will say they definitely nailed the aesthetic. The idea isn't new but they definitely made it look cooler.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm just following Occam's Razor here. Did this movie decide to specifically craft wireless earbuds that would have nothing to do with the plot, or did somebody in the editing room just say "Hey, that wire down his ears looks stupid. Get rid of it".

VFX artists get dumb requests like this all of the time.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

I know I'm about to derail the thread but this is not going to stop picking at my brain.

Why does this person have an entire YouTube channel that is nothing but him filming random scenes from movies and TV shows with his cell phone? The uploads go back almost 10 years and he's still uploading new clips every few days.

I am fascinated by this man.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w50M01CAtFw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inJZo9lVbJU

Here's 12 seconds of Justin Batha in Gigli:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9BIZnfxO9A

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
I know I'm about to derail the thread but this is not going to stop picking at my brain.

Why does this person have an entire YouTube channel that is nothing but him filming random scenes from movies and TV shows with his cell phone? The uploads go back almost 10 years and he's still uploading new clips every few days.

I am fascinated by this man.

It kinda seems like a chill way to make content ngl

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they have to remove the wire in post when they could simply snip a pair of wired earbuds?
There's no way it was done in post, if anything that's evidenced by Ryan's response in the video above. He would have said something like "we filmed the scene but the director wanted to remove the wire in post for a cleaner look".

But him framing them as fake headphones tells me that for whatever reason, whether it be aesthetics or just a costume designer with a cool idea, they wanted them to be portrayed as wireless earbuds and filmed them that way.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Not related to actual OP subject but Definitely Maybe was great. I've seen it multiple times now and you just made me plan for a rewatch soon lol

If you think about it it's basically How I Met Your Mother but in movie format and it's not ruined by terrible plots in order to drag the show longer.