Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I beat the bird divine beast in Zelda: Breath of the Wild without ever realizing I could rotate it. It wasn't until the second beast I challenged, the desert camel, when I noticed you could use the map to move the mechanisms of the dungeon to solve puzzles.

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
I spent my first playthrough of Dark Souls levelling up strength, whilst using weapons that scaled very poorly with strength... the whole way through.

Ornstien and Smough took forever as I was only doing chip damage, which I thought was normal. I basically did my own hard mode run accidentally

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Not as good as some of these but I played through almost all of Infamous: Second Son without realizing you could upgrade your skills.

I played the first couple hours of the game with all of the tutorials, and then put the game down for like a year before returning to it and finishing it.

I remember thinking the game was a lot harder than I expected and then at some point near the end (maybe when you get your other set of powers?) I stumbled onto the skill tree screen and had like a billion things to unlock.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I am a dumbass because I managed to get through metal gear revengeance without learning how to parry

I think I managed beat blade wolf by ninja running away from his attacks

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of Dark Souls..

Dark_souls_3_cover_art.jpg

I always thought the character was giving a thumbs up here, which I thought was an odd design choice.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
The Game: World of Warcraft

Why I am a dumbass: My first character was a total shitshow. Undead rogue, just a couple months before the Burning Crusade expansion came out. I never trained any skill that didn't directly do damage, because "Rogue is a DPS character, right? Why do I need this other shit?" No Cheap Shot, no Slice and Dice, no Kidney Shot or Sap, just stabby stab on everything. Also, instead of using the auction house like a normal person, I picked herbs and vendored them, then immediately spent the pitiful money I made on that on white vendor armor and weapons. I found a cruddy dagger "of shadow wrath" and immediately equipped it thinking it would add shadow damage to my attacks. I couldn't understand why the game was so fucking hard.

lairo

May 28, 2020
Oof, I bought a screen that came with scratches, and had such anxiety about returning it that I just kept it and now I hate it and can't do it anymore lol

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
I beat the bird divine beast in Zelda: Breath of the Wild without ever realizing I could rotate it. It wasn't until the second beast I challenged, the desert camel, when I noticed you could use the map to move the mechanisms of the dungeon to solve puzzles.
Oh my gods. Yes, same here. And I was suuuuuper frustrated during my second Divine Beast for so long because I didn't know the rotating mechanic. When I realized it, all I could think of was "how the eff did I finish Vah Medoh without realizing this?!"

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I didn't notice that Xbox controllers (newest one) are still shipped with non-rechargable batteries. After a few sessions and the batteries dying I gave them a quick glance, didn't see any "do not recharge" I was used from other batteries and put them in my charger... for at least ten hours. Right before I fall asleep I hear a loud crack from the wall socket and have battery acid all over the floor. I think they're definitely dead now.

Guess I need new batteries and hope my recharger still works.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Oblivion: My first Bethesda game. It took me 30 minutes to figure out how to use the torch in the opening dungeon...

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
My recent one, though I'm not going to fully blame it on my ineptitude.

Mortal Shell: I spent a good two hours running around the felswamp before I realized there was a very important item to get in the hub tower in the middle of the swamp to obtain Parry and the Empowered Parry which heals the player. I kept thinking to myself, "Is Hardening the ONLY defensive move I've got? Not even a parry?" before I fully explored the tower.

Now, in my defense, a parry should be a basic ass mechanic in a Souls-like and not tied to some item in a missable location.

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
Ace Attorney: didn't realize you could save in the middle of a trial, I thought you could only save at the checkpoints the game gave you. Cue me staying up until 3 AM to finish the second trial so I didn't lose my progress...

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
The Game: World of Warcraft

Why I am a dumbass: My first character was a total shitshow. Undead rogue, just a couple months before the Burning Crusade expansion came out. I never trained any skill that didn't directly do damage, because "Rogue is a DPS character, right? Why do I need this other shit?" No Cheap Shot, no Slice and Dice, no Kidney Shot or Sap, just stabby stab on everything. Also, instead of using the auction house like a normal person, I picked herbs and vendored them, then immediately spent the pitiful money I made on that on white vendor armor and weapons. I found a cruddy dagger "of shadow wrath" and immediately equipped it thinking it would add shadow damage to my attacks. I couldn't understand why the game was so fucking hard.

I'm right there with you. I made a hunter, but I really didn't understand the phrase "play your class" so I would almost always fight with my melee weapon. I didn't make it very far.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
As a kid, I got the first Rogue Squadron game a bit before I had seen any Star Wars movies. I also could not understand English (secondary language for me) that well yet so most instructions beyond having to shoot things were lost on me too. I was stuck in the Corellia mission because AT-AT just would not die no matter how much I shot it. Eventually I finally saw Empire Strikes Back and thought "oh, maybe I'm supposed to somehow tie the legs of the walkers in the game too" and got to progress to the rest of the game.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne: I am a dumbass because I finished the game + Chalice Dungeons believing your character progress would be reset if you died, which meant that every time I died I closed down the game and downloaded my save file. I must've opened and closed the game hundreds of times, for this reason I uploaded my saves after every area and boss lol. I actually got the platinum and on my save file I technically died 0 times throughout the game + Chalice Dungeons.
For this reason the experience of Bloodborne got pretty ruined for me and that's why its never in my top PS4 games list, and also the reason I have never played another Souls game afterwards, its my biggest shame
Wut?!

holy shit ...:o

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i've now finished jouney mode in tetris effect on normal on two platforms. i was just going for a victory lap and thought, "i wonder if the trigger button does anything."

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
watchdogs 2

I bought this game again for xbox thinking on series x it would look better it doesn't still looks like ass the graphics look so mono and has so much jaggies,should of just sticked with the ps4 version which looks better.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
New York
Immortals Fenyx Rising - Almost 20 hours in and I just realized I could use my sight to mark stuff anywhere at anytime. I thought you could only do it at the top of the god statue for each area. : /

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Super Mario 64: I'm a dumbass because I got suck at Peach's Castle due to me not knowing the door lead to Bom-Omb Mountain doesn't require a star. But it still has the star symbol so my mind back then thought "Oh this one must require a star too" and never actually paid attention to the lack of number. It wasn't until I look up a playthrough that make me realize how much of a dumbass I was at that moment.