Oct 30, 2017
Gah, has king crab gotten that expensive now? If so, waaaah... I don't think I can ever afford to treat myself to it now.

Hell, it's total chance but while I like King Crab, if I'm lucky I find that snow crab is better (unfortunately since it's not worth as much they don't treat it as well and you can also get oversalted ones. But a good snow crab leg is sweeter than King Crab I've had).

In the UK they're definitely that price
I imagine they would be far cheaper in the US though

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Have you been to a coffee or audiophile forum?

11oxkQI.gif

☝️

Don't forget fashion forums.

Although, say what you will about domain snobbery, it's a great way to learn shit as long as you know to keep a judgmental eye.

On this wagyu sandwich though... Its a hard call. There are enough special, worthy meals at that price in NYC and plenty of good katsu for that sandwich to just not be worth it. Might try the cheaper offering if the opportunity presents itself.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Has nothing on an $80 Italian meal.

(I wonder how many people will get that reference)

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I do love me a shrimp cutlet or crab croquette sandwich. Such a great combination of flavors and textures. It's simple and delicious. There's a store in Seattle that has some really nice ones for $3-4.

$15 for a combini sandwich is wild, unless they are sourcing some really impressive ingredients there.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm cheap, but I can't pay a lot for food. Like, to me, nothing tastes that good. Even if I was rich, I couldn't see myself buying a $185 steak more than once (just to try it out).

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm going to NYC on vacation in June. If this place is still in business by the time I arrive...I'd split the $125 sandwich for lunch with the wife. It's going to be an expensive trip anyhow.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
So why is it a silly term?

In australia for example, wagyu beef is not actually from japan but australian beef with some wagyu genes bred with angus. There is an order of mangitude difference in the quality of marbling yet in australia they charge so much for the comparatively poorer imitation.

The US is the same as above but recently japan has been exporting small amounts of their beef to some top exclusive restaurants.

Wagyu is good for specific dishes but in a syeak sandwaich? I wouldn't knock it until i try it but i would rather have it as is for that amount of money.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Beef snobs aren't faking like wine snobs. I'm not sure about coffee snobs.

Good coffee is pretty easy to distinguish from a $1 7-11 cup if you get fresh beans. But at least with coffee you can get a decent cup made from high-quality beans for $5, with the most expensive cups costing about $20, rather than $200 like with wine.

Those $15 sandwiches ain't it, though. Anyone who lives in Japan, Taiwan, or South Korea can get something like that for $2-3 at a corner bakery. It's just highway robbery.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
$15 is astronomical. i don't think they bake their own bread either. my Japanese grocery store has egg salad sandwiches, with bread they bake on site daily, for $2.75.
Let me tell you a story about a car I bought in Japan 10 years ago for $7,000, that I could buy here in America today but would have to pay $14,000 and it's not even the 5-speed it's the automatic...

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Paying that kind of money and still having to order at a counter and disposable napkins. Fucking Christ.