Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I was planning to upgrade one of my older controllers once iOS 14.5 lands but even with the controller being currently discounted to $55 it's still $80 for a controller that doesn't require a constant stream of AAs. Can't we get a model that's like $10-15 more and has Li-ion out of the gate? I know they've done bundles where it was a $50 controller + $20 USB-C play and charge so why can't they just run a different SKU of the base model?

Microsoft you make it so hard for me to love your hardware sometimes.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Buy Eneloop batteries, charge them yourself. They'll stay fresher longer than any built in battery, you'll likely get a decade of hard play out of them.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'd happily pay an extra $25 for AA versions of so many controllers. I've got chargers coming out my damn ears.

Oct 27, 2017
Eneloops + MS controller is a better combination than the battery pack or the non-replaceable's on the Sony side. Best of both worlds IMO and I prefer it.

Buy Eneloop batteries, charge them yourself. They'll stay fresher longer than any built in battery, you'll likely get a decade of hard play out of them.

My Man.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Eneloop 4 lyfe. I much prefer having rechargeable hot swappable batteries than built in wimpy batteries.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is that the Xbox Series controller? I agree that it's pretty great.

I'm also a fan of rechargeable batteries. Ideally though, it would be nice to have a way to choose without paying extra. Some of my 8BitDo controllers have the option right out of the box.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I've used the same 4 pairs of Eneloops in my Wavebirds since...2007, I think, and the tester part of my charger says they are still getting the same charge. They last about 45 hours.

It's honestly the one thing Microsoft does inarguabely better than anyone else. A slight weight increase for ease of mind.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I hate having to plug in my Sony controllers all the damn time. Eneloops are life. Eneloops are love.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
They've been making Xbox controllers since 1914? I guess that explains why they're the best.

OP
OP
Veliladon

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the AA variant existing, and you guys do you, I just want an SKU with Li-ion straight out of the gate at a more Dualsense price. For me it would be for my iPad and Mac laptop when I'm away from home playing either something natively or Steam Link so plugging it in is less annoying than having to take a charger and AA batteries everywhere if I'm traveling.

Oct 27, 2017
The seemingly never-ending aversion to rechargeable AAs has always seemed baffling to me.

Right? Environmentally it's got to be better as well. Removable, re-usable in most stuff battery standard that doesn't result in a non user accessible battery that a bunch of people will THROW AWAY.

There should be a removable battery standard for electric cars as well imo.

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
I jump into every battery/controller thread to join the pro-eneloop chorus. Nearly everyone who gives in and tries them becomes a convert.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Built in rechargeables suck after a few years, while AA rechargeables not only last longer, but they can be replaced easy.

Dualshock 4 batteries suck ass.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Allow me to be the 100th person to recommend Eneloops. My Dualsense with all features turned off gets 8 hours of battery life. My XSX controller with vibration turned on gets 30-35 hours with eneloops. They're just better.

OP
OP
Veliladon

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't even have to include the kit. I don't want to ruin anyone's eneloop fun, just a separate SKU would be fine. A version that doesn't require base + battery for $10 more than dualsense is all I'm asking for.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Been using those for the last four, almost five years. Still have the bundled four batteries and they get charged long before the others get depleted. Fantastic brand.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Eneloops + MS controller is a better combination than the battery pack or the non-replaceable's on the Sony side. Best of both worlds IMO and I prefer it.

My Man.
Buying the Eneloop Rechargeable Battery Kit 2 years ago was the best decision of my life.

I'm tired of fucking charging cables and internal batteries that can't be swapped. Switch Pro controller is the only exception because that beast lasts like 40 hours.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the biggest downer of the Dualsense and now also my Elite V2 is not being able to use my eneloops for quick switching.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I've been using the same 4 eneloops for like 8 years, it's been great. No regrets, no looking back. Screw the play and charge kit.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Honestly, the biggest downer of the Dualsense and now also my Elite V2 is not being able to use my eneloops for quick switching.
How is popping out batteries from a controller, taking the charged ones from the charger, then putting them in the controler faster than just putting the conroller itself on a charger each night?

I have eneloops that I used for an Xbox One controller, and it was a bit annoying swapping batteries compared to just taking my DS4 off the charger.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Another vote for Eneloop here. I used to use a play and charge kit on the 360, but now I have four Eneleoops that I use in rotation. I had some that I had to stop using as the batteries had started to bulge a little, but still held charge.

That's like a car that keeps driving even though it's got flat tyres.

What did I do afterwards? I bought more eneloops.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This argument comes up so often, people should just buy some rechargeable batteries, and see the light. I use them for my Xbox Controllers, Wii Motes, and sometimes Rock Band instruments, it's really convenient.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How is popping out batteries from a controller, taking the charged ones from the charger, then putting them in the controler faster than just putting the conroller itself on a charger each night?

I have eneloops that I used for an Xbox One controller, and it was a bit annoying swapping batteries compared to just taking my DS4 off the charger.

The plug socket situation in the house isn't great to hide the wire for a dock and have it in a convinent place to throw it in. And I sometimes play longer than the charge of the controller.

Had to solve that on PS5 by having a second controller charged and ready to go.

Jun 22, 2018
There are some smart people in this thread: Buy eneloops.

I bought them first for X1 controllers, but have since started using them for tons of things around the house. They're fantastic.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Thanks to it using those batteries, my 15 year old controllers still work perfectly. I can't say the same about my PS4 controller and its two hours of charge, let alone my PS3 controllers.

As long as you have four rechargeable battery, you'll never have to play wired again, which is a blessing.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I do think the Play-N-Charge kit is massively overpriced.

I bought one for my gaming laptop/mobile gaming bag, since it has a dedicated controller. It's much easier on the go to just plug in a USB-C cable direct to the laptop or even the wall wart I carry around for charging, and ultimately cheaper than buying a separate eneloop charger and eneloop set (plus it saves space in my bag, which is admittedly a bit cramped with the laptop's power brick, a mouse, and a controller)... Nevermind the fact that the eneloop recharger would have to plug into the wall.

I prefer my eneloops for my living room controller, though, easily.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I can't imagine not having rechargeable AA batteries in 2021. So glad the new controller uses them. I'm constantly having to stop playing with my Switch Pro controller, or my Dualsense when it comes time to charge, compared to just hot swapping em out.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.

if I felt I could guarantee the battery would last longer than a session, I wouldn't be as effusive with my praise for eneloops. But playing Lotu2 on a new DS4 this past summer had me having to plug in on a few sessions.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
The seemingly never-ending aversion to rechargeable AAs has always seemed baffling to me.
Right? Environmentally it's got to be better as well. Removable, re-usable in most stuff battery standard that doesn't result in a non user accessible battery that a bunch of people will THROW AWAY.

There should be a removable battery standard for electric cars as well imo.
I honestly think it's about the simplicity of charging. You can't just integrate the charger into the device due to the chance someone puts in standard AA batteries, but just plugging a device in is more convenient for people (or at least is perceived as such) than removing and swapping with a charger.

And I get it. Every few days I plug my Switch Pro Controller in to the cable I leave attached to my dock. AAs aren't exactly inconvenient, but they can't reach that level by nature.

What we really need is a standardized rechargable battery that doesn't share a form factor with non-rechargables. Why everyone needs a custom Li-ion battery is beyond me. Just make a few standard sizes like we have for AAA/AA/C/D and utilize the already existing USB PD standards and everybody's happy. I'm sure manufacturers wouldn't mind being able to impart the cost of batteries on the customer again.
I'm tired of fucking charging cables and internal batteries that can't be swapped. Switch Pro controller is the only exception because that beast lasts like 40 hours.
It also can be swapped. It's a little much - I think about 6 screws - but unlike the Joy-Cons Nintendo made sure they're all Phillips, not their custom Y screws. It's also a legitimate battery cover; despite the look from the back, it's not actually the entire shell holding it in. The battery is also the same Li-ion battery they've been selling continuously since the 3DS launched in 2011, so there's plenty available now and likely for a long time to come. You can even find third party clones of it.

I can't imagine not having rechargeable AA batteries in 2021. So glad the new controller uses them. I'm constantly having to stop playing with my Switch Pro controller, or my Dualsense when it comes time to charge, compared to just hot swapping em out.
Do you just never charge your controllers until they say they're low? My Pro Controller gets several hours of use daily and I've seen the low battery indicator maybe five times since I got it in April 2017. That's not even with daily charging, just when I feel like it once or twice a week.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Including a rechargeable battery and having replaceable ones don't have to be an either or situation. Microsoft not including the charge and play kit is pure greed shit.

Personally, I'm glad that they don't include it. Since I use rechargeable AAs, I have no use for it. We don't need more junk in the environment.

I wish I could use them in PlayStation controllers too. I hate having to plug in my DS4s, and I don't use them enough to justify buying a dock.

Serious question: why would someone choose a P&C kit over rechargeable AAs? Swapping batteries takes under 1 minute, and the high-quality rechargeable batteries available generally last longer--and are cheaper--than any proprietary solution.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I mean just get black eneloops, they last for a long ass time.
Eneloop 4 lyfe. I much prefer having rechargeable hot swappable batteries than built in wimpy batteries.
Yeah don't buy their shitty play and charge kits, get eneloops.
I jump into every battery/controller thread to join the pro-eneloop chorus. Nearly everyone who gives in and tries them becomes a convert.
Eneloop Pros are just nuts how long they last.
Yeah AA is the way to go. Get some Eneloops.
There are some smart people in this thread: Buy eneloops.

I bought them first for X1 controllers, but have since started using them for tons of things around the house. They're fantastic.

I jumped on the eneloop band-wagon after hearing about them for years, and I'm not impressed honestly. I was expecting like Wii U Pro Controller or at the very least Switch Pro Controller battery life but that's not the case at all.

I get annoyed having to swap out the batteries in the Xbox controller I'm currently using to swap with my one I have synced with my laptop and then put those into a charger. So to get around this I would have to buy another set of these expensive ass batteries.

I have no idea how so many of you have issues with your built in rechargeable batteries in your controllers. I've had my PS4 and Switch Pro Controllers since 2017 and I've never had a problem with keeping charge. The problem was with the analogs if anything.

If I wanted all of my gaming controllers to always have batteries in them to play whenever It'll cost a fortune in just purchasing the eneloops or rechargeable AA's. So instead I have to play this stupid game of constantly switching batteries between controllers and that shit is annoying. I just rather have built in rechargeable batteries, never been an issue before if they were well made (I had a set of third party Xbox Battery packs that shit the bed after a few months).

I paid around $40 for just 4 batteries and the charger for the eneloop Pros. If I wanted coverage for just two more of my controllers It's another $32 for just 4 more, and that would just cover having one set in place for one of my Switch controllers and one for my extra Series X controller. Shit gets expensive really quickly. I'm honestly fine dealing with built in rechargeables, it's way more convenient and I can just charge them daily and they're fine.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I've had my PS4 and Switch Pro Controllers since 2017
DS4 from launch, 2013. Battery life is pretty much zero. None. Zilch. Nada.

Xbox 360 Halo 3 controller? Pop a new pair of Eneloops, battery life is just as new.

Wavebird? Yup, you guessed it: pop a new pair of Eneloops, battery life is just as new.

DS3 from my PS3 Super Slim? LOL.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
AAs are wayyyyy better than rechargeable lithium ion that degrade over time and just straight up die completely if you don't touch them for a while. DualShock 3 are a pain in the ass to get back up and running if it discharges. Would be way easier to pop some new AA batteries in.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I think some people unconsciously associate a built-in battery with somehow being more "premium" than putting batteries in, which seems like ancient technology in 2021.

Of course this perception isn't actually true, and rechargeable AA batteries are a better option on several levels, but it is what it is.

I don't mind the built-in battery in my Elite 2, but that's mostly because the battery lasts for like 50 hours.