• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Apparently Retroarch retail nuking itself was a somewhat widespread bug. Here's how to fix it if you get it...

On Xbox go to Settings > Storage > Apps
You'll see a blank app - no icon, no name. If you uninstall that, you can click the original link and re-download Retroarch. I believe you'll have to re-update the Online Updater things and re-add your ROMS, but otherwise lookin' good for me to be up and runnin' again soon!

Last edited:

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Do yours ever shake quickly vertically up and down? Just a few pixels back and forth

Mine do and it's incredibly distracting, I haven't found a work around yet
I think found a fix for this. Go to LocalState/system/PCSX2/inis/ through ftp, open the file called GSdx.ini and look for interlace = 0 and change it to interlace = 3. It should work after you increase the native resolution. It works with Nocturne at least.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I think found a fix for this. Go to LocalState/system/PCSX2/inis/ through ftp, open the file called GSdx.ini and look for interlace = 0 and change it to interlace = 3. It should work after you increase the native resolution. It works with Nocturne at least.

whoa that sounds promising!

I havent set up the ftp stuff for retail yet, so I will have to get to that. I will report back for sure.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Apparently Retroarch retail nuking itself was a somewhat widespread bug. Here's how to fix it if you get it...

On Xbox go to Settings > Storage > Apps
You'll see a blank app - no icon, no name. If you uninstall that, you can click the original link and re-download Retroarch. I believe you'll have to re-update the Online Updater things and re-add your ROMS, but otherwise lookin' good for me to be up and runnin' again soon!
Good to know.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
t3 has signups for a beta build in the discord channel. As of this writing it WILL overwrite your current app.

I'd like to test it, but at the same time I like where my current setup is. He is looking in to seeing if he can make a separate app.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Okay I have stumbled upon what might very well be the best upgrade ever to an untouched retro game.

Have any of you played Rock'n Roll?
An Amiga game (among other platforms) where you roll a ball in a maze, collect keys, smack into walls until the crack, blow up walls with bombs, skid across ice, and try finding the exit. It's a fantastic game.

Well, with the PUAE emulator you get perfect analog stick controls!
In a game made in 1989!

The reason is the strange mouse controls:
slow mouse movement = the ball rolls slowly
fast mouse movement = the ball rolls fast
Imagine how you would move the mouse when going around a maze... In short it looks like you're possessed lol

But the PUAE emulator emulates the mouse cursor with the analog stick:
small stick movement = the ball rolls slowly
big stick movement = the ball rolls fast

And it's perfect!

H4nzfgt.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Got a couple of questions:
1 - what file type should I be looking for for the retail Retroarch PSX core to read it? I tried a couple of different types (Dino Crisis rar, Twisted Metal 2 with .bins and another type of zipped file) with no luck, and it's hard for me to know if it's that I'm using the wrong ROM format, or have to install additional things to get it to read them.
2 - Before I dive into the bigger wii games (Galaxy 1&2, Mario Kart), is Retroarch retail able to get 'em going without additional files?

1. I'm pretty sure none of the PSX cores support zipped isos.
2. 16gb limit iirc.
3. Whatever system you want to emulate? I don't think any bois files are included but some emulators don't need them.
Thanks for the response...and sorry, I guess I was still new to it when I posted these questions but this helped me to wrap my brain around some of it!

Sep 29, 2020
Got a couple of questions:
1 - what file type should I be looking for for the retail Retroarch PSX core to read it? I tried a couple of different types (Dino Crisis rar, Twisted Metal 2 with .bins and another type of zipped file) with no luck, and it's hard for me to know if it's that I'm using the wrong ROM format, or have to install additional things to get it to read them.
2 - Before I dive into the bigger wii games (Galaxy 1&2, Mario Kart), is Retroarch retail able to get 'em going without additional files?

Thanks for the response...and sorry, I guess I was still new to it when I posted these questions but this helped me to wrap my brain around some of it!

No worries, we should make this the OT and sticky all the useful info in the op.

edit: I'm really impressed how well Saturn, Gamecube and Wii games run. Full speed with no noticeable problems while the N64 core seem to have trouble with 2D elements. Dreamcast seems very game specific in how it runs, Bangai-o locks up when a lot of stuff is happening (which it pretty much always does) and Daytona 2001 runs at like 25-30 fps most of the time while Gundam and Power Stone 2 is full speed or near that.

Edit2: one thing that isn't talked about at all that I like a lot with this is audio out via the controller. No need to lower the volume when the family is asleep, I can blast the awesome Zanac x Zanac soundtrack without anyone waking up:)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
No worries, we should make this the OT and sticky all the useful info in the op.

edit: I'm really impressed how well Saturn, Gamecube and Wii games run. Full speed with no noticeable problems while the N64 core seem to have trouble with 2D elements. Dreamcast seems very game specific in how it runs, Bangai-o locks up when a lot of stuff is happening (which it pretty much always does) and Daytona 2001 runs at like 25-30 fps most of the time while Gundam and Power Stone 2 is full speed or near that.

Edit2: one thing that isn't talked about at all that I like a lot with this is audio out via the controller. No need to lower the volume when the family is asleep, I can blast the awesome Zanac x Zanac soundtrack without anyone waking up:)
Can I ask what file type the wii games are and if you were just using the core that came with Retroarch? Would love to play me some wii Mario Kart and Galaxy!

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Can I ask what file type the wii games are and if you were just using the core that came with Retroarch? Would love to play me some wii Mario Kart and Galaxy!

stuff that requires too much waggling is gonna be a pain to set up

i played through fire emblem and new super mario bros just fine, though

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
stuff that requires too much waggling is gonna be a pain to set up

i played through fire emblem and new super mario bros just fine, though
..but what file type is Retroarch recognizing? (.iso, .zip, .bin, something else?). I've been having trouble finding anything it runs at all, and I'm trying to decipher if I'm just using the wrong file types, or if I need to install something to make 'em readable.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone else been running into an issue with some N64 games like Goldeneye and Mischief Makers crashing early on in gameplay? I haven't been able to get either of those games to run for more than a few minutes without causing RetroArch to crash completely.

I'm running RetroArch on a Series X in dev mode. I have the ROM files loaded up on an external drive that I have plugged into the front USB port.

Does anyone know if the front USB port is slower or really only meant for charging/synching controllers? Not at home right now so I can't check for myself.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
..but what file type is Retroarch recognizing? (.iso, .zip, .bin, something else?). I've been having trouble finding anything it runs at all, and I'm trying to decipher if I'm just using the wrong file types, or if I need to install something to make 'em readable.

anything disc based is best to be unzipped. i dont even know if retroarch on console can read discs from inside zips, actually

for wii i heard its best to use .wbfs, for gamecube i used isos just fine

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Is this useful to anyone else (maybe an OT)? I prepped it for a pal to understand how to get Retroarch (Retail Mode) working on his Xbox. Considering how overwhelmed I was at first, thought it might be helpful to just break it down step by step. I believe this is correct, but feel free to let me know where I goofed?

WHAT YOU NEED TO START

- For the retail version, fill out whitelist application link. You won't be notified when you're whitelisted, so just check the next step every now and then to see if you have
- When whitelisted, open your Edge Browser on Xbox, go to https://tunip3.github.io/wowee/ and click on the Retroarch link. Download the resulting Restrospective (Retroarch) to your Xbox.
- Download My Files Explorer from Xbox Store ($2.99 US / $3.49 Canadian) to make things easy.
- Open Retroach, click "Online Updater" and one by one, do all of the updates. This'll take around 5-10 minutes.
- If you have additional Bios (PCSX2 for Playstation 2 Games, for example) add to USB drive. I found if you plan to play SNES/N64/Genesis etc. mainly, you'll be fine without them. But if you're running into problems with games, it's probably that you are lacking these for a specific console.
- Put ROMS you own on exeternal USB hard drive/thumbstick

PREPPING MY FILES EXPLORER & USB HARD DRIVE

Open My Files Explorer:

1. Click three dots next to "This Device" (can be hard to spot - basically, three little dots near the address bar)
  2. Click Add Folder To Library
  3. Click Xbox console symbol on the left hand side, then back/menu button to highlight "Select" - Press A to confirm.
  4. Click "Isolated Storage" folder
  5. Below the address bar, click "Packages"
  6. Click 1e4... (dev mode) or 52269xbonedev1.Retrospective (retail mode) for Retroarch
  7. Click "Local State" folder
  8. Click System + paste in the folder of any Bios you want to add (the full folder + all files). If you aren't pasting in additional Bios at this point, no problem, you can do it later by navigating here.
For External/USB Hard Drive Transfer:
  1. Insert USB into XBOX
  2. Open My Files Explorer
  3. Click three dots next to "This Device" (again, the three little dots near the address bar)
  4. Click Add Folder To Library
  5. Click the External Hard drive symbol on the left then press the back/menu button to "Select" - Press A
  6. Click E: (might be D: for some people)
  7. All of your owned ROMS you added to the USB will show up for you
Now you're all prepped.

ADDING ROMS (once the above is set-up, this is all you'll have to do each time you want to add a ROM)
  1. The ROMS should be clearly named and added to your USB hard drive. Recommended file types: .pbp or .bin for PS1, .wbfs for Wii, .z64 for Nintendo 64, and .smc or .sfc for SNES. Most files should work, but PS1 and Wii gave me trouble until I focused on those file types.
  2. Open My Files Explorer. Click Removable storage. Hover over the folder or the ROMS you want to add. Press start and click "copy."
  3. Click "Isolated Storage" > Packages (listed underneath address bar) > the either the .1e4 (dev mode) or 52269xbonedev1.Retrospective (retail mode) folders, depending what you see > then click Local State
  4. Paste your ROMS here by pressing "Start" and "Paste." I'd recommend making a folder either "ROMS" or broken down by platform ("SNES" / "WII" etc.), but also, it doesn't matter beyond being organized. As long as they are pasted here, they work.
At this point, you're good to play.

PLAYING ROMS ONCE THEY ARE ADDED:
  1. Basic way this works is click "Load Content" then select the appropriate drive for your ROMS. This would be U: for internal storage (most likely what you're doing if you folllowed the above steps), but you can also play directly off of the USB D: or E: if that's where they are.
  2. Click the rom, then you'll be given a choice of different emulators. Most work great, but see the note about PS1/Wii game file types above.
  3. That's it!? I mean, beyond that, you can go into the quick menu (see below) and mess around with remote type, resolution/shaders and save states. I won't advise too much here other than wii games require you to change it from wiimote to wiimote sideways in most instances.
RETROARCH TIPS (once you get games working, I suggest doing these quality of life improvements):
  1. Go into Retroarch settings. Somewhere in User Interface or Menu Settings, there should be an option to edit your "hot keys." Make sure to add one to toggle the Retroarch menu with whichever input you prefer (I suggest either holding select for 2 seconds or L3 + R3 since they won't conflict with in game controls). This will let you change Roms on the fly or quit out of one instead of hard closing the app. It also lets you mess around with other settings once you're in the game.
  2. Go into Retroarch settings - somewhere in the menu or User Interface settings there are options to hide things from the menu. Honestly, I hid everything but Main Menu / Import Content and Playlists. I find this gives Retroarch a very clean look, and it's very simple to get to my games with a few clicks, through the Playlists feature. Speaking of which...
  3. To make the menu easier to navigate, go to Load Content > Playlists > Import Content. You'll have three options, but honestly, I've found not a single one does everything. Sometimes the auto scan missed a file, sometimes the manual scan didn't add a rom, but all three done on a single folder (like your SNES folder, for example), should get you sorted. What this does is organize your Roms on the left hand side of the menu by console. Makes it super easy to navigate!
  4. If you are running a game and it looks/plays great, I recommend opening the menu (whichever toggle you did above) and clicking "Add To Favourites." This makes it so that rather than go through the 2-3 steps of loading content/selecting core each time, and trying to remember which cores/emulators work best, you can just navigate to your Favorites list and click the name of the game and be playing in seconds. It will remember the settings you used. Also, it's just kind of badass to have one big list of games from SNES to N64 to PS1 to Wii and have them all launchable in a click. That said, Step 2 does mostly the same thing, so if that's working for you, this may be unnecessary.
  5. Last but not least, if you are trying to run wii games, go to Settings > Video, and you will need to change from GL to d3d12, otherwise the games will hang at a black screen.
SUGGESTED EMULATORS/CORES TO CHOOSE WHEN GIVEN THE CHOICE (this is what I've found - I'm sure the experts may have other ideas)?
  • NES: Nestopia
  • SNES: bsnes-mercury-balanced
  • N64: Mupen64 Plus
  • Gameboy: Gambatte
  • GBA: mGBA
  • PSX: Mednafen or PCSX Rearmed
  • Genesis: Genesis Plus GX
  • 32X: PicoDrive
  • PS: Duckstation (make sure files are in chd format to run from external, otherwise transfer to internal - this was once the case, but I think it may have been updated?)
  • Wii: I found the only way I could get them to run was with a bio.
  • MAME: I found the only way I could get them to run was with a bio.
STILL FIGURING OUT:
For the most part, downloading thumbnails for the games works for me, except on SNES games. Games like Super Mario World and Rock N' Roll Racing show that the thumbnail is downloaded/extracted, but it never applies it. If anyone knows why, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, working great on PS/wii/N64.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Do y'all want me to just rename this thread into an OT? Threadmark (or better yet add to the OP) that helpful info above ^?

Gavatron

Unshakable Resolve
May 23, 2019
Is this useful to anyone else (maybe an OT)? I prepped it for a pal to understand how to get Retroarch (Retail Mode) working on his Xbox. Considering how overwhelmed I was at first, thought it might be helpful to just break it down step by step. I believe this is correct, but feel free to let me know where I goofed?
This is awesome and really helpful for those like me who are about to start getting this setup. Thanks mate!

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017

DOWNLOADING WHAT YOU NEED

- Fill out whitelist application link. You won't be notified when you're whitelisted, so just check the next step every now and then to see if you have.
- When whitelisted, open your Edge Browser on Xbox, go to https://tunip3.github.io/wowee/ and click on the Retroarch link. Download the resulting Restrospective (Retroarch) to your Xbox.
- Download My Files Explorer from Xbox Store ($2.99 US / $3.49 Canadian) to make things easy.
- Open Retroach, click "Online Updater" and one by one, do all of the updates. This'll take around 5-10 minutes.
- If you have additional Bios (PCSX2 for Playstation 2 Games, for example) add to USB drive.

Open My Files Explorer:

1. Click three dots next to "This Device" (can be hard to spot - basically, three little dots near the address bar)
  3. Click Xbox console symbol on the left hand side, then back/menu button to highlight "Select" - Press A to confirm.
  6. Click 1e4... (dev mode) or 52269xbonedev1.Retrospective (retail mode) for Retroarch
  8. Click System + paste in the folder of any Bios you want to add (the full folder). If you aren't pasting in additional Bios at this point, no problem, you can do it later by navigating here.
  1. Insert USB into XBOX
  3. Click three dots next to "This Device" (again, the three little dots near the address bar)
  5. Click the External Hard drive symbol on the left then press the back/menu button to "Select" - Press A
Now you're all prepped.

ADDING ROMS (once the above is set-up, this is all you'll have to do each time you want to add a ROM)
  1. The ROMS should be clearly named and added to your USB hard drive. Recommended file types: .pbp for PS1, .wbfs for Wii, .z64 for Nintendo 64, and .smc or .sfc for SNES. Most files should work, but PS1 and Wii gave me trouble until I focused on those file types.
  2. Open My Files Explorer. Click Removable storage. Hover over the folder or the ROMS you want to add. Press start and click "copy."
  3. Click "Isolated Storage" > Packages (listed underneath address bar) > the either the .1e4 (dev mode) or 52269xbonedev1.Retrospective (retail mode) folders, depending what you see > then click Local State
  4. Paste your ROMS here by pressing "Start" and "Paste." I'd recommend making a folder either "ROMS" or broken down by platform ("SNES" / "WII" etc.), but also, it doesn't matter beyond being organized. As long as they are pasted here, they work.

1. Basic way this works is click "Load Content" then select the appropriate drive for your ROMS. This would be U: for internal storage (most likely what you're doing if you folllowed the above steps), but you can also play directly off of the USB D: or E: if that's where they are.
  2. Click the rom, then you'll be given a choice of different emulators. Most work great, but see the note about PS1/Wii game file types above.
  3. That's it!?
RETROARCH TIPS (once you get games working, I suggest doing these quality of life improvements):
  1. Go into Retroarch settings. Somewhere in User Interface or Menu Settings, there should be an option to edit your "hot keys." Make sure to add one to toggle the Retroarch menu with whichever input you prefer (I suggest either holding select for 2 seconds or L3 + R3 since they won't conflict with in game controls). This will let you change Roms on the fly or quit out of one instead of hard closing the app. It also lets you mess around with other settings once you're in the game.
  2. If you are running a game and it looks/plays great, I recommend opening the menu (whichever toggle you did above) and clicking "Add To Favourites." This makes it so that rather than go through the 2-3 steps of loading content/selecting core each time, and trying to remember which cores/emulators work best, you can just navigate to your Favorites list and click the name of the game and be playing in seconds. It will remember the settings you used. Also, it's just kind of badass to have one big list of games from SNES to N64 to PS1 to Wii and have them all launchable in a click.
SUGGESTED EMULATORS/CORES TO CHOOSE WHEN GIVEN THE CHOICE (this is what I've found - I'm sure the experts may have other ideas)?
Thank you!

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Okay I have stumbled upon what might very well be the best upgrade ever to an untouched retro game.

Have any of you played Rock'n Roll?
An Amiga game (among other platforms) where you roll a ball in a maze, collect keys, smack into walls until the crack, blow up walls with bombs, skid across ice, and try finding the exit. It's a fantastic game.

Well, with the PUAE emulator you get perfect analog stick controls!
In a game made in 1989!

The reason is the strange mouse controls:
slow mouse movement = the ball rolls slowly
fast mouse movement = the ball rolls fast
Imagine how you would move the mouse when going around a maze... In short it looks like you're possessed lol

But the PUAE emulator emulates the mouse cursor with the analog stick:
small stick movement = the ball rolls slowly
big stick movement = the ball rolls fast

And it's perfect!

H4nzfgt.jpg
Wow, awesome find! I always had problems with the mouse controls in Rock'n'Roll, this should make the game much more playable :)

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020

DOWNLOADING WHAT YOU NEED

- Fill out whitelist application link. You won't be notified when you're whitelisted, so just check the next step every now and then to see if you have.
- If you have additional Bios (PCSX2 for Playstation 2 Games, for example) add to USB drive.

Open My Files Explorer:

8. Click System + paste in the folder of any Bios you want to add (the full folder). If you aren't pasting in additional Bios at this point, no problem, you can do it later by navigating here.
  1. Insert USB into XBOX
Now you're all prepped.

1. The ROMS should be clearly named and added to your USB hard drive. Recommended file types: .pbp for PS1, .wbfs for Wii, .z64 for Nintendo 64, and .smc or .sfc for SNES. Most files should work, but PS1 and Wii gave me trouble until I focused on those file types.

3. That's it!?
  2. If you are running a game and it looks/plays great, I recommend opening the menu (whichever toggle you did above) and clicking "Add To Favourites." This makes it so that rather than go through the 2-3 steps of loading content/selecting core each time, and trying to remember which cores/emulators work best, you can just navigate to your Favorites list and click the name of the game and be playing in seconds. It will remember the settings you used. Also, it's just kind of badass to have one big list of games from SNES to N64 to PS1 to Wii and have them all launchable in a click.
you should probably include that you can connect to it and add games to it on pc with a network location because that is what i did when i watched dom video on it with the FTP app and just dragging bios to it. This post is probably still good for the overwhelming majority and thank you for the write up.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, awesome find! I always had problems with the mouse controls in Rock'n'Roll, this should make the game much more playable :)
Same here, the game was fantastic but barely playable unless you had a perfect mouse and big mouse pad.
With analog stick controls it plays perfectly ! I had my 4 year old play it, that's how easy it is now. If you can, go try it, it's a great game.

Nov 1, 2017
  3. That's it!?

If you look around the Retroarch menus there is an option to scan a folder for content. Then it will create cool menus for all of your games broken down by console, so you'll have a SNES menu option with all of your SNES roms listed and so on. That way you don't need to specifically add games to favourites and it all looks very seamless. If there is a particular shader that you like to use i believe you can also make it the default for that console type. I'm a heathen that prefers a good shader on SNES games in particular so this is great for me.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018

Yeah Dreamcast is a bit hit and miss. I tried Ferrari 355 challenge and there was a lot of audio glitches and slow down at start of race but then it cleared up somewhat. GameCube on the other hand is great. Mario kart is running great at 4x internal res

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
That game compatibly is bad even on the dedicated pcsx2 emulator
do you have any examples of working games? i've tried ratchet and clank going commando and hot shots golf fore so far, and it just hangs at a black screen. i would like to try and isolate my issue even further - the games and bios i'm using both work in standalone pcsx2, but obviously the compatibility will be more shaky with this.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
you should probably include that you can connect to it and add games to it on pc with a network location because that is what i did when i watched dom video on it with the FTP app and just dragging bios to it. This post is probably still good for the overwhelming majority and thank you for the write up.
Do you think you could write up a simple step by step? I'm on Mac and Series X and when looking at vids about it I didn't feel confident translating it to a guide without being able to personally try it out confidently...

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
If you look around the Retroarch menus there is an option to scan a folder for content. Then it will create cool menus for all of your games broken down by console, so you'll have a SNES menu option with all of your SNES roms listed and so on. That way you don't need to specifically add games to favourites and it all looks very seamless. If there is a particular shader that you like to use i believe you can also make it the default for that console type. I'm a heathen that prefers a good shader on SNES games in particular so this is great for me.
I plan to add this-hoping for some clarification first, though. When I did an auto scan, it read 7/12 SNES games. Then I manually scanned the folder (and set Snes as the console), then manually scanned the missing ROMS again. At some point all 12 showed up. Is one scan type preferable over others for getting the playlist maxed out?

Also, those same ROMS that were originally missing are the only ones missing thumbnails. Can't figure out how to get 'em, including for a Super Mario World.

if I can figure out those two parts I'll add 'em in!

UPDATE: manual scan seems best. That said, thumbnails aren't showing for me anymore. Messin' with my OCD!

Last edited:

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
do you have any examples of working games? i've tried ratchet and clank going commando and hot shots golf fore so far, and it just hangs at a black screen. i would like to try and isolate my issue even further - the games and bios i'm using both work in standalone pcsx2, but obviously the compatibility will be more shaky with this.
I meant for Champions of Norrath compatibility is about the same as the standalone PC PCSX2

ILPUMAGUERRIERO

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Every time I try to play XIII on Dolphin it craps the installation and nothing plays on any core anymore. The only fix I've found is remove and reinstall everything. Anyone knows why a game might do this? Playing on retail Series X if it matters, thanks.

Nov 1, 2017
I plan to add this-hoping for some clarification first, though. When I did an auto scan, it read 7/12 SNES games. Then I manually scanned the folder (and set Snes as the console), then manually scanned the missing ROMS again. At some point all 12 showed up. Is one scan type preferable over others for getting the playlist maxed out?

Also, those same ROMS that were originally missing are the only ones missing thumbnails. Can't figure out how to get 'em, including for a Super Mario World.

if I can figure out those two parts I'll add 'em in!

UPDATE: manual scan seems best. That said, thumbnails aren't showing for me anymore. Messin' with my OCD!

Honestly i'm not sure why Retroarch does a lot of the weird quirky things it does. No shade to either the original developers or the people who ported it to Xbox but it's pretty unwieldy and crashes if you so much as look at it funny. I would love a "babby's first emulator" version of Retroarch that strips away some of the seemingly thousands of options and just is something reliable and simple that can be used to play games. Retroarch seems like it could be something fantastic with the bugs ironed out and if you have a few days to sit there and tweak everything ad infinitum but for now i've taken a break from it.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly i'm not sure why Retroarch does a lot of the weird quirky things it does. No shade to either the original developers or the people who ported it to Xbox but it's pretty unwieldy and crashes if you so much as look at it funny. I would love a "babby's first emulator" version of Retroarch that strips away some of the seemingly thousands of options and just is something reliable and simple that can be used to play games. Retroarch seems like it could be something fantastic with the bugs ironed out and if you have a few days to sit there and tweak everything ad infinitum but for now i've taken a break from it.

Retroarch is not an emulator itself. Its mostly a frontend. The "thousand options" are basically the cream and crop of it. Without it, you would have individual apps for every emulator and every core, and the games would still perform mostly the same

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Honestly i'm not sure why Retroarch does a lot of the weird quirky things it does. No shade to either the original developers or the people who ported it to Xbox but it's pretty unwieldy and crashes if you so much as look at it funny.

Retroarch on UWP is still very much in development

I would love a "babby's first emulator" version of Retroarch that strips away some of the seemingly thousands of options and just is something reliable and simple that can be used to play games. Retroarch seems like it could be something fantastic with the bugs ironed out and if you have a few days to sit there and tweak everything ad infinitum but for now i've taken a break from it.

The issue with this is that people all want different settings and their own controls, a common issue with open source projects. It might actually turn people off if it wasn't the case...

Some alternatives like EmulationStation provide a cleaner interface.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
For what its worth, i went into menu and appearance settings and turned a lot of the menu clutter off. Between that and the playlists, I now find it really simple to navigate and look at (but granted I'm not super picky about some of the stuff other people might be).

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
has anyone been able to play Double Dash? the textures come in all corrupt for me, curious if I have a setting ticked I shouldn't
update: seems to be running better now, after letting shaders cache a few times?
for those who don't like the menu: try ozone from menu driver. this is the new stock skin, IMO its a bit easier to navigate than XMB

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020
Sweet I'll try that. I hope they do a more updated version of dolphin that fixes the stuttering. Has anyone tried eternal darkness or twin snakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.