Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
What are folks thoughts on Laika: Aged Through Blood? I initially wasn't sure about the all bike gameplay, but after really enjoying Turbo Kid so far, it reminded me of this game. Seems to be well liked but curious if anyone's played it?
I really want to love that game because I'm an absolute nut for post apocalyptic fiction but everything I've seen of the bike gameplay stuff would just be a non starter for me, I think.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I really want to love that game because I'm an absolute nut for post apocalyptic fiction but everything I've seen of the bike gameplay stuff would just be a non starter for me, I think.

I have it now and gonna start after Turbo Kid. It's very different from what I normally like but I'm gonna give it my best shot. Seems to be well liked at least which always make me feel better, and do like the impressions I heard here. Fingers crossed! Lol

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The 1.0 release for Noreya: The Gold Project will be launching in June:

When is the final release?

Big news!
We can finally announce that the game will be released in its final version in June!

Just one more month to wait ^-^

We will make a special announcement soon to reveal the exact day.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1760330/announcements/detail/4209253428797882409?snr=2___

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Thought on Aeterna Noctis?

Heard its like 50-60 hours which is a huuuge commitment for an MV. Does it have a decent focus on combat? A lot of the videos I've seen, it seems focused a lot on balls in a vice style precision platforming. I like more of an even split.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I have completely lost all interest in the actual fist part of F.I.S.T. I'm all about the drill/propeller chainsaw lifestyle. Sooo good.

Game also realizes of course that the best rivals are always really just you but much cooler and an asshole. China Hero knows what they're doing.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to finally get to Death's Gambit Afterlife because of recent discussion after having played and enjoyed the original release. I want to make a longer post about it later talking about my overall thoughts but for now, some secret boss mechanic spoilers;

They fucken made me count dots on the screen and adjust my computer's time settings to progress in phases. Literally searching through time to find where it escaped to. All while having no healing because the boss will steal your feathers to heal themself.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Decided to finally get to Death's Gambit Afterlife because of recent discussion after having played and enjoyed the original release. I want to make a longer post about it later talking about my overall thoughts but for now, some secret boss mechanic spoilers;

They fucken made me count dots on the screen and adjust my computer's time settings to progress in phases. Literally searching through time to find where it escaped to. All while having no healing because the boss will steal your feathers to heal themself.

Yeah, that was a really obscure mechanic. Kind of brilliant on paper, but annoying in practice and that's assuming you're logged into your PC as the superuser who has the authorisation to change the system clock. Otherwise, you can always wait several hours for the time to get there on its own, unless the dot is the wrong color in which case you're out of luck.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that was a really obscure mechanic. Kind of brilliant on paper, but annoying in practice and that's assuming you're logged into your PC as the superuser who has the authorisation to change the system clock. Otherwise, you can always wait several hours for the time to get there on its own, unless the dot is the wrong color in which case you're out of luck.
Yeah, I don't think the meta stuff was all that well implemented in Death's Gambit Afterlife or was that interesting even if I appreciated what they tried to do with the secret boss.

I basically have the same thoughts on it as everything else in the game, it was just fine with hints of potential I guess?

Dev team is going to go on to make some great titles eventually though if they keep at it, I think. Theres something there.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Yeah, I don't think the meta stuff was all that well implemented in Death's Gambit Afterlife or was that interesting even if I appreciated what they tried to do with the secret boss.

I basically have the same thoughts on it as everything else in the game, it was just fine with hints of potential I guess?

Dev team is going to go on to make some great titles eventually though if they keep at it, I think. Theres something there.

I actually had lots of fun with the rest of the game, although given that its true ending requiring you to beat the super versions of several bosses while keeping your total death count underneath a certain threshold means it's not exactly an appealing game for casuals.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I actually had lots of fun with the rest of the game, although given that its true ending requiring you to beat the super versions of several bosses while keeping your total death count underneath a certain threshold means it's not exactly an appealing game for casuals.

This really isn't as hard as it seems since you can just do the lower level heroics when you way outlevel them and they don't start getting punishingly hard untill the later ones. Also think killing 5 locks your will and then you can get it below 100 by just farming owl king heroic if you need to. Shit isn't at all like Hollow Knight locking story and ending scenes behind the most difficult stuff in the game.

Also the original ending is kinda the "best" written one anyway. Going to go into this when I get around to doing a full post on the game but I got some thoughts.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
This really isn't as hard as it seems since you can just do the lower level heroics when you way outlevel them and they don't start getting punishingly hard untill the later ones. Also think killing 5 locks your will and then you can get it below 100 by just farming owl king heroic if you need to. Shit isn't at all like Hollow Knight locking story and ending scenes behind the most difficult stuff in the game.

Also the original ending is kinda the "best" written one anyway. Going to go into this when I get around to doing a full post on the game but I got some thoughts.

Does this game have the usual gating and upgrades of a metroidvania or is it more of just a side scrolling souls game? I have it but not sure I wanna play it if it's the latter lol.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Does this game have the usual gating and upgrades of a metroidvania or is it more of just a side scrolling souls game? I have it but not sure I wanna play it if it's the latter lol.

Both? Aftermath added in the more metroidvania stuff but as the game is now you get stuff like double jump, dash, and a multi jump thing that you need to progress in exploration while progressing. The only really souls like thing is how the leveling system works and dying sends you back to the most recent bonfire equivalent. Does the souls thing of resting all enemies when you rest or die, but you don't lose currency on death, you just drop one of your healing charges where you die that you can just pick up again/it is never lost.

Random aside to people starting the game; The class you pick at the start matters more since there is no way to change that choice as it locks in a couple of the talents of the first talent tree and your second full class tree. Later in the game you can unlock a third tree which is just any other class's tree and that can be swapped when/if you want to reassign all your stats/talents, but you can never swap out the class specific talents in the first tree or what the second tree is from when you make your character. It's a weird system that is hard to explain made more annoying to explain by how little guides or database stuff there are for the game. Basically the first talent tree is the same no matter what you pick except for 2 skills in it which are based on your starting class. TL;DR, just pick Soldier. Blocking giving more soul energy is better then any other source of soul energy and that is the only thing the 2 unique talents effect.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Both? Aftermath added in the more metroidvania stuff but as the game is now you get stuff like double jump, dash, and a multi jump thing that you need to progress in exploration while progressing. The only really souls like thing is how the leveling system works and dying sends you back to the most recent bonfire equivalent. Does the souls thing of resting all enemies when you rest or die, but you don't lose currency on death, you just drop one of your healing charges where you die that you can just pick up again/it is never lost.

Random aside to people starting the game; The class you pick at the start matters more since there is no way to change that choice as it locks in a couple of the talents of the first talent tree and your second full class tree. Later in the game you can unlock a third tree which is just any other class's tree and that can be swapped when/if you want to reassign all your stats/talents, but you can never swap out the class specific talents in the first tree or what the second tree is from when you make your character. It's a weird system that is hard to explain made more annoying to explain by how little guides or database stuff there are for the game. Basically the first talent tree is the same no matter what you pick except for 2 skills in it which are based on your starting class. TL;DR, just pick Soldier. Blocking giving more soul energy is better then any other source of soul energy and that is the only thing the 2 unique talents effect.

Oh okay this sounds pretty good actually! I was thinking it might be more like Salt and Sanctuary but this sounds more like...maybe Blasphemous which I absolutely love!!

Thanks for the starting tips too and I actually don't mind the if the leveling is complicated, what you wrote actually makes sense to me.

Nice, I might have to start this so thanks for the great explanation!

Edit: One more question. Is it pretty easy to get around and know where to go or can it be obtuse as hell like some other games? Also can you annotate the map at all? I hate trying to remember where I need to come back to in these games lol. Thanks again!

Last edited:

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: One more question. Is it pretty easy to get around and know where to go or can it be obtuse as hell like some other games? Also can you annotate the map at all? I hate trying to remember where I need to come back to in these games lol. Thanks again!

You can put marks on the map. Don't think it's that hard to get around since the game is build around a main "road" that runs though the center of everything. Also there is a pretty good fan map with item annotations if you want as well. There is a couple of times that you can miss out by not remembering to go back and check something that you can reach now that is optional. Also there is only one guide out there for the game (on neoseeker), but it is pretty good. The only mistake it makes is that it thinks that the only way you can get through small gaps is from a postgame item, but you can "slide" through ones on the ground level. The only thing this really fumbles is that there is 2 npcs and a key for another area you can unlock super early in the game (right after double jump I think) in the upper scorching corridor that the guide puts at about postgame.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
You can put marks on the map. Don't think it's that hard to get around since the game is build around a main "road" that runs though the center of everything. Also there is a pretty good fan map with item annotations if you want as well. There is a couple of times that you can miss out by not remembering to go back and check something that you can reach now that is optional. Also there is only one guide out there for the game (on neoseeker), but it is pretty good. The only mistake it makes is that it thinks that the only way you can get through small gaps is from a postgame item, but you can "slide" through ones on the ground level. The only thing this really fumbles is that there is 2 npcs and a key for another area you can unlock super early in the game (right after double jump I think) in the upper scorching corridor that the guide puts at about postgame.

Oh good tips and good to know on the map stuff as well. Thanks so much, you've sold me on this so gonna install and start it!! Thanks again!

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Blasphemous 2 during one of the steam sales. Finally dove into it the other day. Only about three hours in. Am loving nearly everything about it. Music, art, world building. The animated cutscenes look so good on Steam Deck OLED.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Had to drop Venture to the Vile as it was crashing my computer (didn't have any issue for the first 4h but then it began to freeze at random spots). Not sure what to think of it. The setting is nice, and so is the exploration (even if it has an almost useless map). The combats are a bit clunky and too simplistic though. I had some issues with the jumps too, especially the wall jumps where it didn't always register (which is always fun when it happens on a one-hit kill boss sequence).

From what I've played, it has a good foundation, but it needs quite a lot of polish. I wouldn't recommend it in its current state.

REW

Oct 27, 2017
Had to drop Venture to the Vile as it was crashing my computer (didn't have any issue for the first 4h but then it began to freeze at random spots). Not sure what to think of it. The setting is nice, and so is the exploration (even if it has an almost useless map). The combats are a bit clunky and too simplistic though. I had some issues with the jumps too, especially the wall jumps where it didn't always register (which is always fun when it happens on a one-hit kill boss sequence).

From what I've played, it has a good foundation, but it needs quite a lot of polish. I wouldn't recommend it in its current state.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
REW not sure why you quoted my msg, but I did end up finishing Venture to the Vile (as Steam couldn't refund it). Got all 3 endings, but my opinion on the game hasn't changed. It's not a bad game per se, but everything about it is pretty mild.

This is coming to consoles as well right?

It's supposed to come to both Switch and PS4/5 too, although we don't have any release date yet.

REW

Oct 27, 2017
REW not sure why you quoted my msg, but I did end up finishing Venture to the Vile (as Steam couldn't refund it). Got all 3 endings, but my opinion on the game hasn't changed. It's not a bad game per se, but everything about it is pretty mild.

It's supposed to come to both Switch and PS4/5 too, although we don't have any release date yet.

I sorry totally unintentional. I was reading this thread on my phone, and must have done it by accident without realizing!

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Nine Sols is available for 30€, a bit more expensive than the usual MVs. Haven't found any review yet though.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Nine Sols right now, it's pretty impressive so far, definitely a metroidvania. Really deserves an OT but I have no skills for such things. I have a feeling review codes only went out today so probably don't expect reviews for a while.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Played and loved the Demo. Sekiroish combat. Didn't know it would release today. Have couple other games to play currently, but it's on my todo list.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Nine Sols right now, it's pretty impressive so far, definitely a metroidvania. Really deserves an OT but I have no skills for such things. I have a feeling review codes only went out today so probably don't expect reviews for a while.

Oh good to know. Especially when the reviews available on Steam for now were written before release. It seems to be quite a long game based on the playtime I see in those reviews. Is this also your impression from playing?

Last edited:

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just reposting what I wrote in another thread for those interested - A demo for Bō: Path of the Teal Lotus released yesterday, almost two weeks early.

Oct 27, 2017
There was a shitton of metroidvanias announced this week

I've been playing Turbo Kid which is great but I'm hyped for Blade Chimera and the Possessors by the Hyper Light Drifter dev

You know I really should reinstall the castlevania pack on steam shouldn't I?

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I played the Constance and Bô demo. Both look and play great. But Bô is more fun with its throwing ability and hit and jump mechanic.
Constance is gorgeous but way too close to Hollow Knight and I don't want to be burnt on the genre before Silksong. Same with Nine Sols.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I know it was recommended here quite a while ago, and I finally played and finished Kingdom Shell. I was very impressed by the game as it was done by a single developer.

It's not perfect, the animation is basic, it's not always clear to know your next objective and some design decisions are annoying, but it's fun to play, the exploration is rewarding (even if I needed a guide to finish some collectables as some are way too hidden), the bosses are well designed, and the world is original and interesting. Definitely worth a try.