• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I love the comment where someone brings up Punisher, since that goes against his narrative that Disney wouldn't do R-related stuff and he says that's Netflix and not Disney. Lol

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Neither are weird

Logan is your prototypical old man is on his last legs and just wants to die movie while Deadpool is...just a movie with lots of swearing and comedy and action scenes

Oh, c'mon, don't downplay how much those two films caught everyone off-guard.
"Star Wars is just George Lucas ripping off Kurosawa and Flash Gordon", you know?

Nothing prevents Marvel Studios from doing weird R rated movies.

Nothing.

I wouldn't say nothing.
If they want all these movies to be in the same universe and play off each other, you need a tone that is consistent enough.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't Logan supposed to be a kind of what if story? I imagine that's why it could get away with some of the crazier stuff.

Logan and Deadpool are completely solo in their continuity. They're islands. And they only happened because their respective mega-stars pushed like hell for them to happen and really, really, worked to gather the creatives to execute them the way they were.

The idea that because Disney is the parent company that those types of movies would never happen is extremely close minded. Disney would never do that stuff in their direct productions but the subsidiaries control their own content in the vast majority of situations. As a reminder Disney has stakes in A&E and Vice Media (50% and 20% respectively). Even the Vice Media aspect is tricky since Viceland is a joint venture in the US with A&E (which itself owns 10% of Vice Media).

In any case, the point is that if the type of content is on brand for the subsidiary and makes sense to attempt, Disney isn't going to mess with it at all. If Harrison Ford had pushed for a Logan-esque Han Solo film to be made, you'd be crazy to think Lucasfilm wouldn't have played ball.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Logan and Deadpool are completely solo in their continuity. They're islands. And they only happened because their respective mega-stars pushed like hell for them to happen and really, really, worked to gather the creatives to execute them the way they were.

The idea that because Disney is the parent company that those types of movies would never happen is extremely close minded. Disney would never do that stuff in their direct productions but the subsidiaries control their own content in the vast majority of situations. As a reminder Disney has stakes in A&E and Vice Media (50% and 20% respectively). Even the Vice Media aspect is tricky since Viceland is a joint venture in the US with A&E (which itself owns 10% of Vice Media).

In any case, the point is that if the type of content is on brand for the subsidiary and makes sense to attempt, Disney isn't going to mess with it at all. If Harrison Ford had pushed for a Logan-esque Han Solo film to be made, you'd be crazy to think Lucasfilm wouldn't have played ball.

Saying Logan & Deadpool wouldn't exist under Disney is stupid because Guardians of the Galaxy exists

Unless those people are only talking about the ultraviolence aspect of those movies, in which case I'd agree they'd be toned down but that's not necessary to nailing the essence of the characters like Marvel Studios always does.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about Disney being less creative or less bold or whatever than Fox, it is the context of the cinematic universe and how much it constraints in order for us to have a solid enough foundation and then reap the reward in Infinity War for example.

I'll give you Guardians of the Galaxy (to a certain extent), but despite amazing visuals, Doctor Strange is nowhere near as bizarre and fucked up as it could have been, for one, you need to keep his power levels in check, right?
Same thing happened in comics, when Doctor Strange was this weird little corner, he had OP powers over reality and doing crazy Englehart-doing-LSD storylines, but then you want him to play along with the larger marvel universe and he becomes more like a "magician" instead of the sorcerer supreme who interacts directly with eternity and can manage to recreate the entire universe if you need.

I don't think worrying about how putting these properties in the context of the MCU machine will impact creativity is close minded, I think it is reasonable to assume that, since they are part of something bigger (assuming you want them to be part of something bigger - the netflix shows are their own little corner for example), then they have a kind of "brand responsibility" so to speak.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Honestly, I think we'd be better off if the actor for Doom was someone more renowned for voice acting than regular acting, because otherwise they might try to dilute things with face time

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Saying Logan & Deadpool wouldn't exist under Disney is stupid because Guardians of the Galaxy exists

Unless those people are only talking about the ultraviolence aspect of those movies, in which case I'd agree they'd be toned down but that's not necessary to nailing the essence of the characters like Marvel Studios always does.

I think it's clear that the tweet was talking about the hard R-rated aspects of those films in particular and the massive budget risk of others. Creatively, only one of the films he listed is even slightly risky and that's Hidden Figures, which ironically fits right in the wheel house of Walt Disney as a primary label as it's historical, inspirational, and empowering.

It's not about Disney being less creative or less bold or whatever than Fox, it is the context of the cinematic universe and how much it constraints in order for us to have a solid enough foundation and then reap the reward in Infinity War for example.

I'll give you Guardians of the Galaxy (to a certain extent), but despite amazing visuals, Doctor Strange is nowhere near as bizarre and fucked up as it could have been, for one, you need to keep his power levels in check, right?
Same thing happened in comics, when Doctor Strange was this weird little corner, he had OP powers over reality and doing crazy Englehart-doing-LSD storylines, but then you want him to play along with the larger marvel universe and he becomes more like a "magician" instead of the sorcerer supreme who interacts directly with eternity and can manage to recreate the entire universe if you need.

I don't think worrying about how putting these properties in the context of the MCU machine will impact creativity is close minded, I think it is reasonable to assume that, since they are part of something bigger (assuming you want them to be part of something bigger - the netflix shows are their own little corner for example), then they have a kind of "brand responsibility" so to speak.

It's not about the cinematic universe as the tweet listed several films that aren't involved in any sort of cinematic universe whatsoever. As far as the comic IP's specifically, there's no reason that Marvel would have had to envelop Deadpool or Logan or even the X-Men films into the MCU (though X-Men is most likely due to cross pollination with The Avengers as a team). Marvel already has various soft and hard borders between their live action projects depending on Film vs. TV vs. Streaming and even Network vs Network. Logan and Deadpool specifically could have easily been solo films just as they are or worked as limited series.

Again the key to Logan and Deadpool is that the stars were the ones to push for these films and they lobbied hard for the tone and content. Nothing about that requires the studio behind the film to do anything more than say, "Well we see the tremendous fan reaction to these ideas and you Hugh/Ryan have shown that you can bring enough attention to build in an audience nearly sight unseen so we'll give you that shot."

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, real talk. An MCU X-Men should honestly start WITHOUT Wolverine. Give the character a break and let the rest of the X-Men have some time in the spotlight. Introduce the team in Uncanny X-Men 1, then introduce Wolverine in Uncanny X-Men 2 to fuel the hype train.

And yes, this is keeping First Class and Dark Phoenix in mind.

People are stupid.

His Twitter name makes it even funnier.

It's not like Disney runs Touchstone and used to run Miramax or anything.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder who would distribute such a film. They must be paragons in the movie industry, no one like Disney would do this.
WOcuSdA.png

Gordon Shumway

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melmac
It's not like Disney runs Touchstone and used to run Miramax or anything.
Had a long (and very dumb) exchange with my neighbor about this..seems he's one of those folks that can't get over some old Star Wars shit not being canon anymore.

He was losing it because Deadpool would be ruined and made rated G and every other exaggerated thing you could imagine. I told him he should
watch Misty's tits swing while Luke serves her "coffee"

We don't even need old examples..Punisher should be enough to make these idiots stop with this "Disney" baby narrative..

Gordon Shumway

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melmac
Have you seen The Punisher?
w92sLF7.gif
Yeah..said as much. It's just some weird anger with some folks that make them talk all this nonsense. End of the day, these are companies under a particular umbrella..they do their own thing and have separate leadership. Insisting that everything has to go PG is just random speculation or a way to spread FUD so others aren't excited.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's clear that the tweet was talking about the hard R-rated aspects of those films in particular and the massive budget risk of others. Creatively, only one of the films he listed is even slightly risky and that's Hidden Figures, which ironically fits right in the wheel house of Walt Disney as a primary label as it's historical, inspirational, and empowering.

Hidden Figures was only "risky" in the sense that Hollywood still refuses to understand that you can make successful films with minority women (surprise, if they're good, people tend to watch them more often than not. Hell, audiences are so underserved they go and see Tyler Perry movies still). Even then, it's very much as you say in a conservative feel-good movie mold (you've got the sympathetic white guy and everything.)

And yeah, the tweet is beyond dumb. There's plenty of reasons to be apprehensive about Disney owning just about everything and media conglomerates in general, but "I won't get X film!" seems incredibly weak as a reason to complain.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Hidden Figures was only "risky" in the sense that Hollywood still refuses to understand that you can make successful films with minority women (surprise, if they're good, people tend to watch them more often than not. Hell, audiences are so underserved they go and see Tyler Perry movies still). Even then, it's very much as you say in a conservative feel-good movie mold (you've got the sympathetic white guy and everything.)

And yeah, the tweet is beyond dumb. There's plenty of reasons to be apprehensive about Disney owning just about everything and media conglomerates in general, but "I won't get X film!" seems incredibly weak as a reason to complain.

This shit has made me realize how stupid people are

and Jest Hidden Figures was only risky bc it starred three black women

Disney released Queen of Katwe

A movie full of black people

Hence why I phrased it as "even slightly risky" creatively. Because it really isn't risky creatively at all. There's really no logic that suits Hidden Figures inclusion on that list.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. It was pretty good. The soundtrack is fucking aces though. I had a smile during the Warlock reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.