Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. It is a stealth game for people who don't like stealth games, and the AI is even worse in this game than the last, as the suspicious people don't recognize you unless you stand near them for a long time.

My kind of stealth game is you get seen you fucking die, and this definitely isn't that.

You can even effectively run and gun the missions with a mouse. Obviously your score sucks but who cares about that.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
It's worth noting that there are two types of AI in Hitman: crowd AI and NPC AI. They are very different things. Crowd AI is extremely barebones and they only react to very specific things (explosions, guns, etc). They also have a very limited set of reactions. Regular NPCs will investigate noises, pick up items, warn guards about suspicious items or activity, etc. Crowd NPCs will just cower, look at things or flee to their designated evacuation point.

You can even effectively run and gun the missions with a mouse. Obviously your score sucks but who cares about that.

I feel like you're admitting that you don't actually like stealth games. If you genuinely enjoyed being stealthy, you would choose to be stealthy even when you have other options. That's what I do. Hell, I even create self-imposed challenges like not wearing disguises, not pacifying anyone, only killing targets with "accidents," etc.

Also, I'm guessing you haven't played this on Master difficulty. NPCs detect you much more quickly and do a lot more damage.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Yes. It is a stealth game for people who don't like stealth games, and the AI is even worse in this game than the last, as the suspicious people don't recognize you unless you stand near them for a long time.

My kind of stealth game is you get seen you fucking die, and this definitely isn't that.

What? I love stealth games and I love hitman, I think this game is great. Fuck outta here with this weird genre gatekeeping bullshit.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't really thought about it but is it anything like blood money? In that you'll have paramedics show up, pronounce them dead, put them in a body bag and carry them out? All while a crowd forms and whispers and gasps at the scene?
NPCs will chatter, guards will put the corpses in body bags and place them out of the way.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
What? I love stealth games and I love hitman, I think this game is great. Fuck outta here with this weird genre gatekeeping bullshit.

I don't really know what that means. I don't play many stealth games, but when I do I want there to be consequence to playing it poorly.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I've only played the demo thus far and did notice how weird the reaction to me launching a fucking dude into orbit with a failed ejecting seat was.

I was expecting a huge hubbub with people railing around the airplane to burst out and in this confusion I coolly walk away like a badass. Instead, nobody really reacted...at all actually as far as I recall? It was quite bizarre.

That being said, I still think the demo was fucking awesome and I'm picking this up soon. I'm sure it's not perfect but I'll deal with it, love old school stealth games.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only played the demo thus far and did notice how weird the reaction to me launching a fucking dude into orbit with a failed ejecting seat was.

I was expecting a huge hubbub with people railing around the airplane to burst out and in this confusion I coolly walk away like a badass. Instead, nobody really reacted...at all actually as far as I recall? It was quite bizarre.

That being said, I still think the demo was fucking awesome and I'm picking this up soon. I'm sure it's not perfect but I'll deal with it, love old school stealth games.
Unless the demo is a pretty old version, the people around the plane not only react, but they get stunned at what the hell just happened.

Especially given this is a training exercise with actors, and you just launched a poor innocent man out the stratosphere lol

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017

I think that type of elimination is considered an accident to any spectators. As a result, it doesn't arouse any suspicion that anyone there might have been involved. Though, as mentioned, everyone in that one is an actor. Crashing the lighting rig on the crowd in the Paris level gets a much better crowd reaction.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Unless the demo is a pretty old version, the people around the plane not only react, but they get stunned at what the hell just happened.

Especially given this is a training exercise with actors, and you just launched a poor innocent man out the stratosphere lol

I downloaded it and played both levels twice last week, it went that way for me both times. It could just be glitchy, I have no idea, but after that cutscene everything was completely normal for me. No reactions or anything.

And like I said, I'm not bashing the game, I'm actually buying it this weekend because the demo was fantastic. I just thought that (lack of) reaction was bizarre. It wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the game in any way.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017

That would be a weird bug because almost all the characters do react to that kill because they are all actors and you just killed one of them for real with that opportunity.

They even break character to insult you.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Mumbai mission is quite ridiculous lol. You clearly don't look like the person you are disguising yourself as. Game is designed around innovatively solving problems and a lot of solutions wouldn't work if the AI reacted 100% in a sensible manner, so I get why it's like that.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

LOL, reminds me of the very first Splinter Cell game.

Move one pixel out of cover and it was instant mission fail.

That sure was "fun".

(Being kinda pedantic, as I actually enjoyed the game/franchise. But man those punitive stealth mechanics (esp. first game) were something.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

I downloaded it and played both levels twice last week, it went that way for me both times. It could just be glitchy, I have no idea, but after that cutscene everything was completely normal for me. No reactions or anything.

And like I said, I'm not bashing the game, I'm actually buying it this weekend because the demo was fantastic. I just thought that (lack of) reaction was bizarre. It wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the game in any way.

When I played the demo the NPCs didn't really react to it too so if that's not intended it must be something with the demo.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

That's the point of Hitman. It's more of a puzzle game but also a good stealth game. Not your kind of game doesn't make it for people who don't like stealth.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I played the demo the NPCs didn't really react to it too so if that's not intended it must be something with the demo.

I think its something of the demo, because at the very least, they do this something like this (end of the video):

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The stupid AI is what makes this game so good, sometimes you need to trade realism for fun (I'm looking at you RDR2).

Have you tried playing on professional maybe?

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I just had a weirder-than-normal AI encounter in this game last night. I was dressed like one of the pit crew in Miami and I was in the hospitality trailer and turned on an ice machine that proceded to dump a bunch of ice everywhere. I get the "so-and-so has witnessed a crime" message, who then ran and told security, who then came in and immediately shot me to death.

Apparently ice machines are serious shit in the Hitman universe.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried it out myself. The "fake" NPCs all stood in place looking at her corpse, the "real" ones went to get a guard, who then arrived, inspected the corpse and called it in.
1b86d16405.png

Still not amazing, but not quite as laughable as the video would lead you to believe. As people have said, the game has rules that it tends to stick to consistently. If you were to, say, fire a gun or visibly kill the target with obvious intent, then the crowds will disperse. If it's an "accident" kill, they'll stay where they are, and look at the body in question.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
It's a gamey game. The A. I. won't act like a normal human being, but rather act as expected from an NPC.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I doubt people would play a stealth game with good A.I. There has to be a certain amount of dumb because players would not feel like master assassins if they get spotted within seconds of moving around.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

On HITMAN 2 or Season 1? On 2 they exactly what you said, they will get close to the plane and comment on it.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the game should at least give the NPCs more animations to express themselves with. You can still have them stand in place, looking at the corpse, but still express fear, disgust, etc. Now it just looks really weird.