Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
4 pages before people downplaying POC being disproportionately shot by police in a thread about diversity in a video game, that must be a record.

Riviakn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said before, creating white allegories for racism with little to no actual poc involvement is exploiting a real life people's plight for entertainment while comfortably refusing to give them any representation. That is racist.
"There's no PoC involved so therefore it can't be racism"

The color of your skin is such an important subject when it comes to racist actitudes, that's why Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant are treated just the same way people treat a black homeless man on the street

Branu

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Like I said before, creating white allegories for racism with little to no actual poc involvement is exploiting a real life people's plight for entertainment while comfortably refusing to give them any representation. That is racist.

I respectfully disagree, and I say this as a black man who lives in America and is girding himself for what I perceive to be an awakened confederacy on our soil. I'm not asleep about race at all, which might explain why I find The Witcher 3 to be a game that has resonated with me. I think its exploration of race and systemic persecution of the "other" is extremely salient to what is now occurring in the U.S. and other nations in the West. I also feel that they made some extremely pointed mentions in the story that clearly allude to Trump and the alt-right, placing them beneath a very unfavorable light. I really can't fault CDPR for the the lack of diversity in The Witcher 3, when the game is one of the few titles that treats racism in an honest way that isn't patronizing and reductive.

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't familiar with the backstory of it, so just as a general movie goer... it was very forgettable and not good.

I read The Gunslinger when I was in middle school (my mother was a Stephen King fan), but never read any of them beyond that (wish I did, because it was a pretty decent book). If it trickles on Netflix or other streaming services I use, I will give it a watch out of pure interest.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Besides how extremely bitter he is towards the games, despite the games being the only real reason his books are any popular. I still don't like him because of that, but this gives me more respect.

Nothing beats the Metro author's response to that bitterness, though, lol. That dude's amazing.
His books are plenty popular in his homeland, that's why they made the games

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
4 pages before people downplaying POC being disproportionately shot by police in a thread about diversity in a video game, that must be a record.

The thread should've ended after this post anway:

You haven't played the games and read the books, haven't you?

1. Emboldened is not true.
2. Sapkowski's beef with CDPR has nothing to do with the way they adapted the world and everything with the fact that the games are far better known worldwide than his books [at least for now]. He is a grumpy old bastard, always has been.
3. Sapkowski is properly credited at the end of every game [first thing you see at the end credits] and CDPR has approached him many times to consult on the games.
4. Sapkowski's books aren't particurarly diverse. Like most writers of fantasy he doesn't describe the race of his characters, defaulting to white and only does so when he wants you to specifically notice someone is non-white. His brand of diversity is reflected in ethnic tensions between various fantastical races inhabiting his novels, which was faitfully adapted into the games.
5. Sapkowski was offered royalties for the rights to the Witcher video games. He refused, since he thought the games would flop and took a big one time payment. It's been eating him ever since.

So everything else is just an icing on the delicious cake. Let's see how far this will go.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poles were systematically exterminated by Einsatzgruppen for being subhuman. Ethnocentric pogroms, especially directed at Central/eastern Europeans, were a common facet of life until the end of WW2.

The world is not America man. Other people's have their own historical baggage loaded down with blood and tears. This is sort of like telling a Korean he can't make a fantasy game an allegory about historical repression by the Japanese because both groups in the fantasy are Asian. Just because you don't view ethnic makeup in the same way they do does not mean their history and culture is wrong to portray the very real fight against oppression that has dominated Polish culture since the end of the 18th century.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
He sold the rights to CDPR rather than receiving a percentage of profits from each game. So effectively, he made little to no money aside from an initial payment selling the rights to make the games. That's why he's salty. Can't blame him, people do think the games led to the books, given that the books use game art. On the other hand, he really doesn't like games as a medium.
He definitely made a mistake, and I can't blame him for being salty over the outcome, either.

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
I think its exploration of race and systemic persecution of the "other" is extremely salient to what is now occurring in the U.S. and other nations in the West. I also feel that they made some extremely pointed mentions in the story that clearly allude to Trump and the alt-right, placing them beneath a very unfavorable light. I really can't fault CDPR for the the lack of diversity in The Witcher 3, when the game is one of the few titles that treats racism in an honest way that isn't patronizing and reductive.
This is very correct and important!

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher doesn't take place in Europe, so what the fuck are they complaining about? Demanding white Europeans for all the roles in this adaptation like this is some sort of historical piece is essentially showing your ass to everyone.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Poles were systematically exterminated by Einsatzgruppen for being subhuman. Ethnocentric pogroms, especially directed at Central/eastern Europeans, were a common facet of life until the end of WW2.

The world is not America man. Other people's have their own historical baggage loaded down with blood and tears. This is sort of like telling a Korean he can't make a fantasy game an allegory about historical repression by the Japanese because both groups in the fantasy are Asian. Just because you don't view ethnic makeup in the same way they do does not mean their history and culture is wrong to portray the very real fight against oppression that has dominated Polish culture since the end of the 18th century.
Preach! People from US should realize this and understand this is a worldwide forum and not every member is from the same country.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I kinda get your point, but the diversity is far more than color of your skin.

I agree, actually. I wish racists and alt-right fanatics wouldn't constantly derail this topic (see the desperate attempts by them in this thread, including a joker that equalled wanting more gay characters to Nazis) because you're completely correct.

It would be nice if games, especially fantasy games, would have more varied settings of all kinds. Slavic, african, egyptan, korean, you name it. It would be nice, and good for all of us, because it'd give us different, varied settings instead of the same thing. The "slavic"-inspired setting in Quest for Glory IV felt quite interesting and different to me, for example, much like the egyptan setting in Quest for Glory III. Not perfect at all, obviously, but it was absolutely better to have a varied settings over the same boring middle-european copypaste towns.

Is it sad that the first game that came to mind when thinking about a slavic-ish (if imperfect) setting was from 1993? Yeah, absolutely :/

I just do not understand why the internet alt-right freaks out so much over even the tiniest variety. All it'd do is enrich the experience of everyone. Instead, we're stuck in a loop, with people pretending that a single character outside their norms is already a horrible crime.

You do not need to explain for him. His follow up responses say plenty of his narrative.

His "narrative" is correct, though. In the US, PoC are disproportionally often shot to death by the police for far more minor offenses. This is proven over and over by the statistics, including the very own you linked.
The US has long cultivated a culture of brutality against minorities, especially LGBT and black people, to an extent that it's even notable among europeans like myself. Trans people are outright warned from visiting the US nowadays, for example, and there's a reason for that.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
The issue with Poland isn't just that they have such little diversity, I traveled with a friend of mine to Poland who is black and they react like they've NEVER seen a black person. The issue is the country wants that to continue and is ruled by a religious zealot and has marches for white supremacy. And yet visiting concentration camps such as Auschwitz leads me to believe that there are many people that do not want people to forget how horrible the Holocaust was. I thought it a really odd country. Then again I only spent like two weeks there.

I can't really comment on the political landscape there, as I have never been there. There might be deeper problems, probably worsened by the recent resurgence of fascism. I thought it was worth mentioning the lack of ethnic diversity as I suspect most posters are either from the UK or the US, which are both very diverse.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know who this daniel vavra is,but I would like that he is able to create a game with his original vision and then decide for myself whether it's worth of my appreciation or not. What I would not like,was that this person or any other person to not be able to create his own vision or form of art expression because he is censored by political/racial motives,whether it's coming for right or left ideologies. That's what I want.
You do not understand censorship or anything people are discussing in this thread. Creative types aren't above criticism and nothing of the level of Witcher games is made in a vacuum, devoid of any political/outside influence. There are plenty of politics that go into creating games and it's better we encourage creators to make those progressive ones rather than conservative, bigoted ones.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

And who are the Poles in this game? The Elves? The people from Skellige? The human majority putting these other races under the bootheels?

This whole thing falls apart really quickly, because it's a fantasy world.

Just because a few idiots are whining about the diversity of the writing staff doesnt mean that there is a real issue here

I think you reap what you sow. Claiming yoru game to be white and proud attracts these garbage people.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
This feels like a troll thread.

You haven't played the games and read the books, haven't you?

1. Emboldened is not true.
2. Sapkowski's beef with CDPR has nothing to do with the way they adapted the world and everything with the fact that the games are far better known worldwide than his books [at least for now]. He is a grumpy old bastard, always has been.
3. Sapkowski is properly credited at the end of every game [first thing you see at the end credits] and CDPR has approached him many times to consult on the games.
4. Sapkowski's books aren't particurarly diverse. Like most writers of fantasy he doesn't describe the race of his characters, defaulting to white and only does so when he wants you to specifically notice someone is non-white. His brand of diversity is reflected in ethnic tensions between various fantastical races inhabiting his novels, which was faitfully adapted into the games.
5. Sapkowski was offered royalties for the rights to the Witcher video games. He refused, since he thought the games would flop and took a big one time payment. It's been eating him ever since.

This is exactly right. Besides that, representation becomes an issue when a culture/population is very ethnically and culturally diverse, but the portrayals of that culture doesnt accurately reflect that diveristy, instead narrowly focusing only on certain points of view, which obviously is a big problem in many places. However, this simply isnt an issue that is applicable to Poland or Sapkowskis novels, which basically are based on a medieval northern Europe with Poland in focus. Just because a few idiots are whining about the diversity of the writing staff doesnt mean that there is a real issue here, nor that there are some "alt-right" undertones to CDPR, thats just a crazy leap to make.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I agree, actually. I wish racists and alt-right fanatics wouldn't constantly derail this topic (see the desperate attempts by them in this thread, including a joker that equalled wanting more gay characters to Nazis) because you're completely correct.

It would be nice if games, especially fantasy games, would have more varied settings of all kinds. Slavic, african, egyptan, korean, you name it. It would be nice, and good for all of us, because it'd give us different, varied settings instead of the same thing. The "slavic"-inspired setting in Quest for Glory IV felt quite interesting and different to me, for example, much like the egyptan setting in Quest for Glory III. Not perfect at all, obviously, but it was absolutely better to have a varied settings over the same boring middle-european copypaste towns.

Is it sad that the first game that came to mind when thinking about a slavic-ish (if imperfect) setting was from 1993? Yeah, absolutely :/

I just do not understand why the internet alt-right freaks out so much over even the tiniest variety. All it'd do is enrich the experience of everyone. Instead, we're stuck in a loop, with people pretending that a single character outside their norms is already a horrible crime.

Thank you for this post, I fully agree with you.

Well America is not the whole fucking world, maybe....just fucking maybe....fix your own shit before you call out another country.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I can't really comment on the political landscape there, as I have never been there. There might be deeper problems, probably worsened by the recent resurgence of fascism. I thought it was worth mentioning the lack of ethnic diversity as I suspect most posters are either from the UK or the US, which are both very diverse.
Most of the UK isn't diverse, you go out of the city centres and you are talking over 90+% white British (non-imigrant origin). Ironically enough in my area of the UK (Northern Ireland) the biggest minority is Polish which is still white. I live in a racially homogeneous society and yet I know that racism is a serious problem, I know there are people around me that are racist, sus I've heard them say racist things. They should know better. I don't know the situation in Poland enough to know if they have a serious problem or not, but a homogenous population is not an excuse for my country to be ignorant, and it wouldn't be a reasonable excuse for them either.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

Honestly, Europe is quite diverse too, just not racially. Ie, where I live, we've got different racist insults towards literally half the neighbouring countries, and those insults aren't meant in a funny way, they're as serious and nasty as US-American insults towards Mexicans.
Poland is a special case: The current leading party is notoriously racist, yet at the same time ensures concentration camps keep being remembered.
....At least as things that paint Germans in a bad light. See, they just made a law that makes it illegal to point out polish accomplices in the holocaust. That law is both to strenghten polish national pride, and to clamp down on critics, particularly jewish critics.

Europe is weird and doesn't quite follow the American pattern in many ways, which makes it easy to be confused. A can be racist towards B, who hates C, who thinks A is subhuman. And all three will agree that D is lazy scum. [And A,B,C and D are all idiots for these opinions. Obviously]

Our continent was a hotbed for wars for so long for a reason.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Well America is not the whole fucking world, maybe....just fucking maybe....fix your own shit before you call out another country.

This is an international forum my guy, I am not american. I also think a product aimed at international markets need to take into account realities of different markets, especially in our globalized society.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The issue with Poland isn't just that they have such little diversity, I traveled with a friend of mine to Poland who is black and they react like they've NEVER seen a black person. The issue is the country wants that to continue and is ruled by a religious zealot and has marches for white supremacy. And yet visiting concentration camps such as Auschwitz leads me to believe that there are many people that do not want people to forget how horrible the Holocaust was. I thought it a really odd country. Then again I only spent like two weeks there.

Communism really fucked up Eastern Europe's political landscape, basically. Real leftism in the sense that exists in southern and western Europe and the U.S. doesn't exist in former Bolshevik countries, because the left still has ties to the old Communists and has absorbed the social conservatism that came to be with Marx-Leninism, while the Right is split into basically Fascists and Corporatists who vie for power. The best bet politically in Eastern Europe right now are the corporatists who may be socially liberal in some cases, but are also hardcore pro-capitalists. Those would be the kind of people who get into STEM now,

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And who are the Poles in this game? The Elves? The people from Skellige? The human majority putting these other races under the bootheels?

This whole thing falls apart really quickly, because it's a fantasy world.
Central/Eastern Europe prior to the end of WW2 was much more stratified than it is today. I've always sort of viewed the Witcher universe as an allegory for the Austrian Empire, where you had one (or two, depending on the era) dominant political ethnic groups over others.

The entire idea of "who are the Poles?" is thus a little redundant, because prior to the end of WW1 and brought to it's ultimate conclusion at the end of 2 via the ethnic cleansing by both Hitler, Stalin, and localized Facist movements like the UPA in Ukraine the area of central/eastern Europe was very ethnically diverse with poles intermixed with ruthenians mixed with Czech with Germans with Jews with magyars etc etc

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently everything offends people now ffs.
CDPR made their name and reputation on the back of his work, and many people don't even realize that The Witcher games are based on his novels and characters. I'd be curious to know the terms of the agreement he signed with CDPR and how much control he has over what the developers are allowed to do in adapting his work.
AFAIK he sold the whole thing so why the fuck is he crying about it every now and then? Fuck Andrzej Sapkowski he's getting on my nerves. O

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
This is an international forum my guy, I am not american. I also think a product aimed at international markets need to take into account realities of different markets, especially in our globalized society.

Sorry to call you American. But why may I ask? How the game can change the reality which is happening in USA, I would like to hear it, what is your solution to less gun shooting. I am absolutely against having a firearm, here police barely have them and if you as a Police (wo)man shoot somebody, you need to count on repercussions, since we have the law, that you "have the right to be alive" lousy translated.

Again, sorry for my pre-emptive judgement, but I really don't see how some totally different culture, which have problems on their own should prevent this sort of thing. I think that's fairly impossible.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
https://kotaku.com/netflix-witcher-writer-tries-to-smooth-unfounded-racial-1825960625

I feel like the majority of the people attacking the showrunner became fans of The Witcher through the games, which as we all know, feature zero non-white people(in the base game). I've always known that Andrzej Sapkowski doesn't like CDPR for a multitude of reasons(like, in his opinion, not being properly credited as the creator), but I can empathize with his dislike of CDPR if they took a world he imagined to be diverse and just lazily made everything white.(except for a couple sex demons)

Yes, The Witcher games focus heavily on racism and injustice, but at the same time shitty people champion them for being all white stories about great white heroes, much in the same way Kingdom Come: Deliverance is. CDPR will never comment on their shittier side of their fanbase, but I wish they would.

These are a lot of takes based on a whole lot of nothing, well done OP. Have some advice from a friend of mine.

maxresdefault.jpg

In all seriousness: in Sapkowski's books race generally isn't described unless they are non-white. There is a lot of diversity but if you're only talking about colour then the books are mostly white. Not sure why you're rallying behind Sapkowski as the champion of virtue and diversity and portraying CDPR as some sort of racist company.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Id argue the concept of a fictional world where only white people exist in various forms being an allegory for race/racism is itself racist, because it's using the real world plight of non-whites in a way that avoids having to actually represent non-white people.

This is one of the dumbest things i've ever read. Now the absence of a discussion is itself is proof of racism, you literally cannot engage an argument like that, its completely circular. Its apparently no longer required to actually engage in a specific topic for others to judge you on it.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I doubt it was deliberate, if the game has heavy themes of racism in it.

It could be simply that Poland is not racially diverse as a country. Wikipedia says that 94.83% of the population is of Polish ethnicity, the rest mostly come from other Slavic countries.

I think it is similar to under representation of black people in a lot of Japanese games. Looking back I can only think of one black character in all the souls games I have played.

I would like to see more racial diversity though.

Exactly.

I adore, but don't demand, diversity in my games and media. After all, these are independent arts. Much like I can follow Childish Gambino on my playlist with Chino XL or Johnny Cash. As long as it's written well, I'm all about it.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Sorry to call you American. But why may I ask? How the game can change the reality which is happening in USA, I would like to hear it, what is your solution to less gun shooting. I am absolutely against having a firearm, here police barely have them and if you as a Police (wo)man shoot somebody, you need to count on repercussions, since we have the law, that you "have the right to be alive" lousy translated.

Again, sorry for my pre-emptive judgement, but I really don't see how some totally different culture, which have problems on their own should prevent this sort of thing. I think that's fairly impossible.

I don't want to derail this thread aftr poting an observation about how quickly it was derailed.

But I accept your excuses for assuming I was american :P

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Too be fair Sapkowski is an antisemite and a rasist and the books are full of this shit.

Entertain us with some actually proof, thanks in advance...

I don't want to derail this thread aftr poting an observation about how quickly it was derailed.

But I accept your excuses for assuming I was american :P

So throw me a PM if you want to discuss stuff, I am open to ideas from other people : ) And sorry again, it was terrible judgement on my part....

Status
Not open for further replies.