• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I've been kinda meh on the season so far but I really liked this week's episode. Paragliding at the beginning, some traffic and traveling problems, and some tasks that really seemed to stump some of the contestants.

When the firefighters switched Detours after everyone had already left, they seemed doomed. Crazy how that Roadblock was for some of the teams.
Yeah, this was easily the best leg of the race so far and it's not even close. Fun opening, cute ending, solid challenges, good 'ole traffic frustration, great locale, even some intra-team conflict due to the pressure but overcoming it... TAR US can still hit on all cylinders when it wants to. It just flubs the execution more often than it needs to.

Good pacing tonight due to there being enough teams still that the 90 minutes didn't drag. The real question is how many episodes of this quality we'll get going forward.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The world is bigger than your evil thoughts is such a fantastic and well known phrase 😂

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the episode and my god, the firefighters trying to solve the puzzle made me want to bang my head against the wall. Who looks at an E and has their first thought be "Oh it's the Ohm symbol from yoga"?

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, had no idea this was already on. Gotta see if I can catch up I guess!

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
The world is bigger than your evil thoughts is such a fantastic and well known phrase 😂
No, no, the old Colombian saying is actually, "Mama rat took baby rat skiing around the world. They did some yoga, and that was a positive experience."

I really didn't think it could get any better than the Austin Powers siblings or Surfer Bro Twins, but somehow this season keeps delivering.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The teams are getting more stressed. That's drama :-)

It seems to me they designed the detours wrong. That breakdancing looked far more time consuming than figuring out a few words and saying several permutations until you get it right. Also in most similar tasks, people have to do something that takes a little time between guesses, not just standing there swapping words until they hit jackpot.

I laughed at Phil asking how long does forgiveness take, and she instantly said, "Until he buys me something."

Losers interview:

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
There's defo so strangely difficult and time consuming tasks this year vs the alternative. Can't blame teams for swapping and not doing them.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
This was definitely the most lopsided set of challenges I've ever seen. That breakdancing looked hard. The puzzle basically solved itself as long as you knew how the puzzles worked.

The roadblock just showed how these contestants get lost all the time. They have no sense of direction at all. It should have taken less than 30 seconds to orient yourself there. Crazy.

Glad the aerobics team lost. They weren't on the same level of competition. Hopefully the episodes start to get good from here on out.

I love that two overweight dudes are crushing it.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I get that the kid wanting to do this with his mother and probably vice versa but really she's killing the experience for him. He's doing his best to be graceful towards her but inside I bet he's like "I wish I'd brought my pet goldfish instead"

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
My response to this leg of the race...

<yawn>

That was one of the most low-effort detours I've seen in a while. Didn't even make the racers go somewhere else to get a clue. And it was just climb a wall or put on this apparatus and dance around like a goof for a few minutes. Didn't have to learn or solve anything. Non-existent chance for a comeback barring a team getting themselves lost or not knowing how to drive stick which was solely what this entire 90-minute episode was leveraging for entertainment value/suspense.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
My response to this leg of the race...

<yawn>

That was one of the most low-effort detours I've seen in a while. Didn't even make the racers go somewhere else to get a clue. And it was just climb a wall or put on this apparatus and dance around like a goof for a few minutes. Didn't have to learn or solve anything. Non-existent chance for a comeback barring a team getting themselves lost or not knowing how to drive stick which was solely what this entire 90-minute episode was leveraging for entertainment value/suspense.
Indeed.

It's not helped either by several of the teams not being competitive.

We figured the mom and son aren't even trying to win. They're perfectly happy just to make up the numbers. They were helping the ex-NFL athlete with directions, announcing to everyone to check the skateboard colors, and then wasting time dancing after the begging task.

It's disappointing we don't even have the team member getting on a skateboard. In older seasons we had teams doing inline skating downhill and ice speed skating, etc.

Usually the exit interview is up by now, but nothing this week.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
another very boring episode and challenges. Seriously, fake rock climbing as a challenge? They've done real rock climbing, I think multiple times, in past seasons. Watching them build skateboards was also not exciting.

Going to see Marilyn Monroe's car was interesting. I noticed as it went on the guy standing next to the car walked further out so they didn't run in. I wonder if they were pissed that Vinny touched the car on the way in

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this season is terrible so far. If they don't go somewhere substantially different soon, the gay couple will take it simply because they're on easy mode by speaking the language.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Yeah, this season is terrible so far. If they don't go somewhere substantially different soon, the gay couple will take it simply because they're on easy mode by speaking the language.
Yeah, about that...

This season's race map...
- Mexico {Spanish}
- Colombia {Spanish}
- Chile {Spanish}
- Argentina {Spanish} - upcoming advertised Mega Leg
- Uruguay {Spanish}
- Barbados {English}
- Dominican Republic {Spanish}
- United States (Philadelphia) {English}

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA

Yeah I feel like the producers are specifically designing the challenges to benefit certain groups lol. These two already speak Spanish which is making the entire race 100% easier, but they also had a cooking challenge and one of them is a fucking chef lol. They are definitely the blessed team so far.

...announcing to everyone to check the skateboard colors...

lol. He told one team, quietly in a whisper. And it was the pink team, whom they have already been working with.

I agree they need to layoff the team up aspect of their game play but you are exaggerating here lol

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah, about that...

This season's race map...
- Mexico {Spanish}
- Colombia {Spanish}
- Chile {Spanish}
- Argentina {Spanish} - upcoming advertised Mega Leg
- Uruguay {Spanish}
- Barbados {English}
- Dominican Republic {Spanish}
- United States (Philadelphia) {English}
So they're practically guaranteed to reach the final.

lol. He told one team, quietly in a whisper. And it was the pink team, whom they have already been working with.

I agree they need to layoff the team up aspect of their game play but you are exaggerating here lol
Fair point, I misremembered.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
I think expanding to 90 minutes hurt this season to be honest. All these tasks were created with episodes being 60 minutes long so if they seem easier than what we got last season, thats probably why.

And yeah while speaking the native tongue is a bit of an advantage for the boyfriends, they still have to perform the tasks at hand. Knowing Spanish isn't gonna help you jumping rope or driving a rally car.

Although, does anyone think the events of this season is the reason why they added the extra minutes and brought back the u-turn?

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see the Gen Zers go. They were hilarious.

"I'm not detail oriented. I don't like manual labor."

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
I finally don't have work during an episode so I get to watch this as it's happening tonight.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Now here's a dilemma. The mom part of the mom/son duo is considering taking the penalty for not being able to handle the heat. But they seem to be the only team who has any navigating skills.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah the alliances can get annoying.I wonder how faster Angie would have been able to solve that puzzle without help or if she would have taken the penalty.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm guessing this is the kind of alliance shit that made people hate season 32?
If it's the season I'm thinking of, it was much worse then. They were bullies, ganging up to screw over other teams to ensure their path to the final five, for multiple eps in a row. It ruined the series.

I'm no fan of this either. They should have penalties for giving teams answers.

Mom and kid aren't even trying to win a leg, never mind win the race. Awful casting.

LOL at the woman throwing the thing at the steer:

"I know you ain't talking to me!"

BTM

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alliance stuff is always annoying in the race, especially when a team practically does the challenge for you. Anyone know the reason why this season is airing after the previous one even though it was filmed before?

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Alliance stuff is always annoying in the race, especially when a team practically does the challenge for you. Anyone know the reason why this season is airing after the previous one even though it was filmed before?

They had to recut it for 90 minutes I believe.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Fun fact... no team in Amazing Race US history through 36 seasons has gone a full 7 legs of the race without finishing below 2nd place at least once. Ricky & Cesar are now, indisputably, the most dominant team in franchise history at this point in the race.

Wow. I just started watching again two seasons ago.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Fun fact... no team in Amazing Race US history through 36 seasons has gone a full 7 legs of the race without finishing below 2nd place at least once. Ricky & Cesar are now, indisputably, the most dominant team in franchise history at this point in the race.
That's pretty incredible. I'm not in love with Ricky and Cesar because they're so dominant, but I can't help but be in awe in how good they are at like everything. As for the latest episode, Amber and Vinny are 100% going to break up lol. They keep fighting and they always seem on the verge of breaking up all the time. In the preview, it seems the mom and son lost the crew and I'm not sure what the ramifications for that are. Do you get penalized for that?

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I don't think Amber and Vinny can win, but I do think they should break up. They seem very toxic to each other :/

I was cracking up at one of the boyfriends getting really into the dancing at the Carnivale challenge, I don't remember if it was Cesar or Ricky because I always get their names mixed up.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
If Amber and Vinny are still together, I will be shocked. Its like this is what we would've seen with Caro and Ray if the race wasn't paused by Covid.

Regarding next week, for the longtime viewers, how big of a deal is losing your crew

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Amber is definitely struggling a lot and making tons of mistakes in navigating. But yeah, the way Vinny talks to her does not encourage her or lift her up at all. He sends her into this negative spiral where she gets even more turned around.

Regarding next week, for the longtime viewers, how big of a deal is losing your crew

That was really weird, can't think of an example where they showed it happening. I think maybe it creates problems in booking flights in the past? I am sure production snafus happen in every season but they basically never address it on the show.

I love that Danny and Angie have made it this far. Danny is such a huge fan of the race and was worried he might get a short experience. He has to be one of the best navigators ever on the show.