• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
ZQOmSjz.jpg

The Americans returns for a final season on Wednesday, March 28th on FX. The critically acclaimed spy drama stars Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys as Elizabeth and Philip Jennings, and Noah Emmerich and esteemed character actress Margo Martindale fill in a couple of the supporting roles. Joe Weisberg and Joel Fields serve as showrunners. The final season will consist of 10 episodes.

Trailer:

The Americans is a period drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington D.C. during the Reagan administration.

The arranged marriage of Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell) grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but as the pressures and demands of the job grow heavier, the personal toll becomes almost too exhausting to bear. Having revealed their true identities to their teenage daughter Paige (Holly Taylor), Philip and Elizabeth's ability to protect their cover and their family's safety deteriorates.

After a particularly fraught mission, Philip and Elizabeth decide to end their tour and take their family home to Russia. However, a game-changing development in one of their ongoing cases forces them to abandon those plans for the sake of the motherland. Now, Paige delves deeper into the family business, even as Philip takes a step back from it. The Jennings struggle to maintain a smokescreen of normalcy, especially around their son, Henry (Keidrich Sellati), who remains blissfully ignorant of the spies in his midst.

Their neighbor and Philip's best friend, FBI Agent Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich), has also yet to discover their true identities. Although he's transferred divisions, Stan remains their greatest threat since his friend and former partner, Agent Dennis Aderholt (Brandon J. Dirden), leads the force tasked with uncovering the Soviet Illegals hiding in plain sight.

With Gorbachev in power in the Soviet Union, the winds of change are sweeping through both Russia and America, creating new perils. A growing rift within the KGB draws disillusioned former officer Oleg Burov (Costa Ronin) back into the fray, and may set Philip and Elizabeth on opposing sides as the Cold War reaches its boiling point.

MNqDgjC.jpg

Reviews:
Sepinwall said:
This has been one of the best dramas of the era, and hopefully we're a few months away from adding The Americans to the list of great series that managed to end greatly.
TV Guide said:
I watched the first three episodes in a state of panicked admiration, fearful of the consequences yet eager to see how it all resolves.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for stuff to start happening on this show again! Last season felt so perfunctory.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Of interest - Sepinwall's review has a few minor spoilers about the final season including the significant time jump (3 years) which helps them handwave Henry being huge and Costa Ronin's beard. ;)

Also, the Late Show interview is hilarious.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
I'm not sure the Paige thing ever really worked for me. I like the rest of the show, tough. All good things must end, I guess.

Batesity

Jan 18, 2018
Supposedly premiers 4th April here, it'll be sad to see it go but I'm sure it'll be great.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
XwI9wHq.gif

Can't wait. I've been watching since day one. After many months I got my girlfriend to give it a try and she binged the series in three weeks, so we can watch together.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
It's too far of a time jump, but I really would have liked to see this end with either the Berlin Wall or the fall of the Soviet Union. I think that would have been a very interesting dilemma for the characters.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
I've been writing down some of my thoughts on the show to make a thread but never got to finish my these notes, so i guess i will just dump them and links here "as is":

Here are two clips which (non coincidentally) are both Philipp and Elizabeth yelling at Paige:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U6ZS2NAShI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdDrzOqo4og

These two clips feature most intense acting performances in the series, perfectly illustrating the clash of generations and ideologies that is happening in Jenning's family.

Parents who grew up hungry in cities razed by Germans cannot comprehend their own "spoiled" children who were born in US and are used to all creature comforts and safety of American life. Hatred of all organized religion distances them even further from Paige who finds her calling in Christianity.

Paige eventually becomes the main focus of the show:
sitcom

school's out promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Rz7v5S4vY

https://www.salon.com/2013/03/15/why_cant_i_hate_the_americans_elizabeth_jennings/

I really really like production team on this show:

I highly recommend show's costume designer's twitter if you want to look at production stills and inspiration between some of the outfits that cast of the show wears or just want to marvel at 80s fashion:

https://twitter.com/knirish/status/949381859812749314

About "Brenda" (<3) -- Elizabeth's identity she wears to seduce an agricultural official in Season 5:
http://observer.com/2017/05/the-americans-wardrobe-keri-russell-elizabeth-jennings/

Props and sets are just as meticulously researched -- not only for american 80s side but also for scenes in Soviet Union. Many people who actually were there during these times note how authentic it feels even moreso than actual Russian shows who try to cash in on 80s nostalgia.

The Americans is also a very special because it shows Soviets as actual people, instead of stupid (at best -- misguided and wrong) foreigner villains who are easy to hate and kill off. The russian cast of the show speaks period- and situation- appropriate Russian which is completely unheard of.

Their russian consultant/writer does great job adapting dialogues and they don't feel like they were written in English first. I suspect russian speaking actors also add to that, correcting and changing their lines to what feels more natural. Most of the Russian dialogues in Rezidentura are sounded by very official, aptly stilted lexicon.

The americans' posters:

http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/how-fx-has-used-russia-to-market-each-season-of-the-americans/

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love it when they use old songs in this show, the music slowly starts playing, then shit gets real.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to start googling Post WWII Russia as I have no context as to why the Jennings grew up po'. Something happened between Soviet Ronald McDonald beating Hitler and the Jennings being born.

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent. Best show on TV. I've been rewatching season 3 and I just regret that I won't be able to get more in before it returns.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I used to be obsessed with this show. The first two seasons, I loved them so much. My interest has kinda waned though. I stopped watching in the middle of last season, because even though Holly Taylor is a capable actress, I just didn't care about Paige's transformation into teenage spy. I also didn't 100% buy Elizabeth acquiescing to the Center when it came to their plans for Paige. In the pilot, there's that iconic scene in the laundry room, where Elizabeth goes into a cold rage and smacks Philip for suggesting that they tell the children the truth about their identities. I know the show tried to insert events and characters that would make Elizabeth's reversal more believable or, at least, understandable. But I was never completely convinced. Especially when being a spy involves so much danger and pain and risk, they didn't sell me on Elizabeth guiding Paige down such a potentially toxic path. So, the whole Paige thing never felt true or satisfying to me.

Since it's the last season, I'm gonna catch up on the previous one, and pick the show up again. Overall, it's still a damn good show.

Also, because of real current events involving Russia and the hold ex-KGB officer Putin has on the current U.S. President, I anticipate being a lot less sympathetic to the Jennings this season. I used to 100% be on their side and root for them to get away and live happy ever after. But now, a part of me will be rooting for KBG scum to go down and suffer for all the death and ruin they wrought. Then again, Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys are so adorable, they might completely win me over again. I don't know. :P

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Oleg looking cool with that beard.

Can't wait. Even if season 5 was a bit weaker, the acting and general intrigue kept me hooked.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I binged the whole 5 seasons recently. Martha ended up my favorite and I hope we still see her.

I also hated Paige for the longest time and her perpetual constipated baby seal face didn't help. Or her way to start shit and "I'M GOING UPSTAIRS" at the second things didn't go her way. Still can't believe they all kept saying she was a great potential spy and made for that when they have fucking Henry who is everything a spy should be, and would love it to boot.
And I wish I had gif'd Elizabeth snapping at Paige "If I hear about Pastor Tim one more time...!" because that was pretty much my feeling for the last three seasons. Thankfully he's gone!
Those were the hot takes I contained for a few weeks since there was no thread and I don't know anyone watching this.

Phew, feels good!

I'm still afraid to not enjoy it as much if I'm not binging the whole season. Not sure if I'm going to wait or not.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 2 seasons behind but am looking forward to catching up so I can watch this in real time. One of the best shows around.

Will the FX App let me watch seasons 4 and 5 it is there another streaming service I have to use?

kruis

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I hope the final season is going to end with a bang. I don't mind slow-burning tv shows, but last season was tedious too watch.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the final season is going to end with a bang. I don't mind slow-burning tv shows, but last season was tedious too watch.
All of the reviews on MC mention the first three episodes already being more explosive than last season.

———
i'm beyond hyped for this season. there's no way it has a good ending since the audience already knows what happens on the large scale. We just wanna know what happens to Oleg, Paige, Henry, and our favorite fucked up married couple.

and of course, mail robot

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great show but at this juncture I really, really dislike both Elizabeth and Phillip and I really hope they suffer some severe consequences for their many sins.

OP
OP
Cornballer

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Some background and preview info for the season premiere. Here be spoilers.