JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I don't know why Sega doesn't port these versions to consoles. I will pay Sega cash money. I have it right now.

OP
OP
TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why Sega doesn't port these versions to consoles. I will pay Sega cash money. I have it right now.
Same reason why they haven't forced Atlus to port everything; they're dumb.

But we have these now, they work, and people are already porting them to everything. And since the mobile versions of these games are literally free on the Google Play store, everyone can have their port.

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't tried controller yet, but unfortunately this seems to only detect one direction input at a time. So I can't roll while holding forward. Anyone else have that issue?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a link to the old Sonic 1 app for Android? I bought it way long ago, but Sega hid the app from the store and the link that's supposed to take you there in the new ad-supported one doesn't go there, it goes to Sonic 2.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Turn on input display in an emulator and you'll see the same thing in the original games.

What? I can absolutely still roll normally in an emulator, but not here.

What I mean is if left or right is pressed, pressing down does nothing. It is very clearly not that way in the original.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got a link to the old Sonic 1 app for Android? I bought it way long ago, but Sega hid the app from the store and the link that's supposed to take you there in the new ad-supported one doesn't go there, it goes to Sonic 2.

play.google.com

Sonic the Hedgehog™ Classic - Apps on Google Play

SEGA's platform hit returns with Sonic The Hedgehog on mobile!

play.google.com

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Classic - Apps on Google Play

Spin Dash your way through SEGA’s smash sequel - Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Download those to your phone and then download Skit and use it to extract the apk to your phone, and then drag & drop like normal.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
play.google.com

play.google.com

Download those to your phone and then download Skit and use it to extract the apk to your phone, and then drag & drop like normal.
Ah. Thought for a sec the old APK's from before the game went ad-supported were needed, but I was wrong.
Thanks for the help.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
play.google.com

play.google.com

As it says on the GitHub, please consider paying to remove ads in the app.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
*sigh* why can't we just get upgraded widescreen versions of the 4 classic Sonic games on all current consoles? Widescreen makes so much of a difference.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... I'll have to look into building this on a Raspberry Pi. That'll be a fun project.
As it says on the GitHub, please consider paying to remove ads in the app.
Like I said, I already paid for the older versions of the apps, back in 2013. I did get my Sonic 2 data file from that older app, but I couldn't find the Sonic 1 app as easily. I've found it now from my Google Play library, but I was a bit stumped.
I might rebuy the new versions if I ever really wanna play it on my phone again, but I doubt I will.

OP
OP
TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm... I'll have to look into building this on a Raspberry Pi. That'll be a fun project.

Like I said, I already paid for the older versions of the apps, back in 2013. I did get my Sonic 2 data file from that older app, but I couldn't find the Sonic 1 app as easily. I've found it now from my Google Play library, but I was a bit stumped.
I might rebuy the new versions if I ever really wanna play it on my phone again, but I doubt I will.
You don't need to rebuy anything, you own the copy already.

The new versions just require you to unlock the ad free option if you wanted to actually play ad free on your phone. But you're not playing on your phone, so you're covered by your original purchase.
-

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It should detect everything natively. The bindings are in the settings ini file.

Yeah, it turned out to be an issue with my USB devices. I had another device plugged in that was being detected as P1 instead of my controller. I disconnected it and it was fine after.

I finished both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 earlier tonight, it was a great time. Unfortunately I had some problems with random crashing (mostly in Sonic 1, though Sonic 2 did crash a few times in Metropolis Zone Act 2) and Sonic CD seems to just crash whenever I load up any stage. I'll have to mess with it more tomorrow to see if I can get anywhere with it.

OP
OP
TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it turned out to be an issue with my USB devices. I had another device plugged in that was being detected as P1 instead of my controller. I disconnected it and it was fine after.

I finished both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 earlier tonight, it was a great time. Unfortunately I had some problems with random crashing (mostly in Sonic 1, though Sonic 2 did crash a few times in Metropolis Zone Act 2) and Sonic CD seems to just crash whenever I load up any stage. I'll have to mess with it more tomorrow to see if I can get anywhere with it.
I've been thinking about messing with Sonic CD since I haven't found a complete list of the differences between the Steam version and using the decompiler to run the game.

TheJoebro64

Sep 6, 2020
So like, was there ever a reason given why these were never officially released outside mobile? Were Sega embarrassed they got shown up?
Stealth told me a little while ago that he wasn't sure why they didn't get console releases, but he had a hunch it might've had something to do with the Nintendo exclusivity deal for Lost World and the Boom games. Both the Sonic 1 and 2 remakes were released when the deal was in place.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic 1 works perfect on Vita. Can't say about Sonic 2, never bought it. Although I have to check my amazon account because I had some android games there.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Stealth told me a little while ago that he wasn't sure why they didn't get console releases, but he had a hunch it might've had something to do with the Nintendo exclusivity deal for Lost World and the Boom games. Both the Sonic 1 and 2 remakes were released when the deal was in place.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. Even if that was the case for the other consoles, during that same period, they released the 3D classics versions of Sonic the Hedgehog 1/2 on the 3DS. If Sega had wanted the mobile versions ported to consoles, there's still no reason for them to have not done it then to 3DS.

There's also the more recent rereleases on e.g. switch that have things like the Drop Dash added but not the new zone(s?).

TheJoebro64

Sep 6, 2020
Eh, I'm not so sure about that. Even if that was the case for the other consoles, during that same period, they released the 3D classics versions of Sonic the Hedgehog 1/2 on the 3DS. If Sega had wanted the mobile versions ported to consoles, there's still no reason for them to have not done it then to 3DS.

There's also the more recent rereleases on e.g. switch that have things like the Drop Dash added but not the new zone(s?).
It's important to remember that Sega doesn't own the Retro Engine, Taxman does. So if they wanted to use it, they'd have to pay extra money. I'd assume Sega just thinks it's not worth it because emulated versions were already available on other consoles.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's important to remember that Sega doesn't own the Retro Engine, Taxman does. So if they wanted to use it, they'd have to pay extra money. I'd assume Sega just thinks it's not worth it because emulated versions were already available on other consoles.
Sega doesn't own GigaDrive presumably either (MD emu for 3D Classics), M2 would. I think it's more they just went with M2 for the 3D Classics stuff and decided not to bother with more console/PC Taxman ports after Sonic CD. Keep in mind too Taxman only did the mobile versions of that too, CD on PC/console was then contracted to Blitworks.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Sigh, it's sad we never got these ported to console. :( They look so good.

And while we're at it, being reminded of the mess Sonic 3 & Knuckles is in. :( Sigh.

Sega are stupid.

Really wish Nintendo would release that Switch Pro just so I can use my old one for homebrew stuff like this.

Vague Rant

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just wanted to note that the Data.rsdk files from the current Android releases do some really weird things with controller mappings, where the B button is double-mapped to both jump and pause. If you don't want to use the B button anyway (it's Sonic, all the buttons do the same thing) that's fine, but if you do want a functioning B button, you'll need to find older versions of the Android apps to avoid this issue.

For Sonic 1, that means you want version 3.5.5 or older. For Sonic 2, you want version 1.3.5 or older. These are about six months old (July 2020), so if you got the games back then and haven't updated since, you should have the files handy already.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have an android phone, so I was close to buying an apple tv just to play these games. Now I just need to understand how to convert these games for pc :)

Nov 14, 2017
I don't have an android phone, so I was close to buying an apple tv just to play these games. Now I just need to understand how to convert these games for pc :)
The F2P versions of the games are available for download on their respective Sonic Retro pages.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2013)

Just download the games, open them with 7zip or Winrar, extract the Data.rsdk file, and place it in the same directory as the .exe for the decomp.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
The F2P versions of the games are available for download on their respective Sonic Retro pages.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2013)

Just download the games, open them with 7zip or Winrar, extract the Data.rsdk file, and place it in the same directory as the .exe for the decomp.
Cool! Thank you!! :)

i did it! Finally I'm playing Sonic 1 & Sonic 2 in widescreen on a tv! If only my 7 year old myself could see this

Last edited:

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, this is rad. I've never actually played Sonic 1 before on account of the lack of Chaos Emeralds and spindashing, had no idea this existed. Pretty cool!

Although these Special Stages are really really annoying. Half the time I blast through the checkpoint and pass up the ring entirely, and it's too late to go back.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
There are like...98 versions of Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles that are patches/remasters and such like this. Are these the definitive versions? Is there an equivalent patch that could be applied to the Genesis games such that they could be played elsewhere or on an Everdrive or on your own console/via your own cartridges or something?

Every time I see these things, they just piss me off because there's no way I could pay Sega for a collection of perfect final releases.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, this is rad. I've never actually played Sonic 1 before on account of the lack of Chaos Emeralds and spindashing, had no idea this existed. Pretty cool!

Although these Special Stages are really really annoying. Half the time I blast through the checkpoint and pass up the ring entirely, and it's too late to go back.

The emeralds were actually always in sonic 1 but only 6 of them, this release added the 7th and supersonic. You are correct though in that Spin dash was not.

There are like...98 versions of Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles that are patches/remasters and such like this. Are these the definitive versions? Is there an equivalent patch that could be applied to the Genesis games such that they could be played elsewhere or on an Everdrive or on your own console/via your own cartridges or something?

Every time I see these things, they just piss me off because there's no way I could pay Sega for a collection of perfect final releases.

These are the definitive versions that is why it was infuriating that they were trapped on phones. Sonic 3 and Knuckles has Sonic 3 complete that can be ran on a Genesis but that lacks Wide screen. Sonic 3 AIR is a widescreen version that has many of the Complete features and can fun just from buying the steam version.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Hoping one day Sega gets off their butts and does a Taxman collection. Give him the reins to Sonic 3 & Knuckles (redo the soundtrack if you need to) and bundle it in with Sonic 1, 2 and CD for modern consoles.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
This is great... though they only seem to run in borderless full-screen mode.
Has anyone managed to get them running in full-screen exclusive mode so that G-Sync works?

I've been messing with AIR recently and it has bad frame pacing at 144hz with Gsync enabled. Gives the illusion it's running at 40-50FPS or something. My display's refresh rate OSD flickers around 140hz, which indicates Gsync is activated with exclusive fullscreen. But the application seems to be outputting around the max refresh instead of 60. Could be it needs a better frame limiter or Vsync implementation. I tweeted about this to the project creator a few days ago, but haven't gotten any reply yet. If they only have a normal 60hz display I imagine it'd be hard for them to fix.

The only way I can get smooth 60FPS without stutter is to set my display to 60hz and disable Gsync. It's not ideal since there's much more latency with those settings. Gsync works great when emulating S3Complete in either GPGX or BlastEm through RetroArch. So I'm stuck choosing between all the nice features AIR adds or perfect scrolling. I also don't like the interpolation options in AIR (Soft 1 and 2), since they're much blurrier than bandlimit-pixel or sharp-bilinear. Which limits me to black bars around the game because I have to use integer scaling to get evenly scaled pixels instead.
You need to use a frame rate limiter with Sonic 3 AIR.
I recommend using RTSS to set a limit of 59.923 as I think that's the most precise limiter available which will work with the game (technically the Genesis runs at 59.922751013551)
But using the NVIDIA Control Panel to set a limit of 60 is probably fine too.

I agree that it's unfortunate these remakes don't have better filter options.
Aside from the scaling, none of them can emulate proper transparency effects for example.

Last edited:

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not like Sega has a full MD based alternate soundtrack free of rights issues for S3 ready or anything...
So why they didnt port it with that alternate soundtrack?
There is no new port because they will have some problem with both the soundtracks (or SEGA being SEGA), a "mania 2" thats a stealth "3&K port" could do the trick but...

OP
OP
TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The emeralds were actually always in sonic 1 but only 6 of them, this release added the 7th and supersonic. You are correct though in that Spin dash was not.

These are the definitive versions that is why it was infuriating that they were trapped on phones. Sonic 3 and Knuckles has Sonic 3 complete that can be ran on a Genesis but that lacks Wide screen. Sonic 3 AIR is a widescreen version that has many of the Complete features and can fun just from buying the steam version.
Sonic 3 AIR and Complete* also have functioning Switch ports, but you need your console homebrewed. There's also Sonic 2 Community Cut which came out like two days before this decomp that's essentially the AIR version for Sonic 2; I don't think that's been ported anywhere yet though since it relies on a specific emulator.

*Not 100% sure on Complete

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So why they didnt port it with that alternate soundtrack?
There is no new port because they will have some problem with both the soundtracks (or SEGA being SEGA), a "mania 2" thats a stealth "3&K port" could do the trick but...
Why does or doesn't Sega do anything? Mania 2 is such a no-brainer and that didn't happen either. Same with porting Taxman's 1/2/CD to current consoles & PC.

OP
OP
TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Sure but it could still use not being stuck on PS360. Hopefully there's a secret Taxman S1/2/3K/CD collection headed everywhere for the delayed anniversary this year.
Don't think there's a Taxman version of 3, and Sega hasn't been keen on porting it due to the music rights. The closest you're probably going to get to a modern console experience is when these games get ported to Xbox via the dev mode on those things. Or someone might whitelist it briefly to get it enabled for retail mode like people have been doing for Retroarch builds.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
But using the NVIDIA Control Panel to set a limit of 60 is probably fine too.
I did try that, and it will be smooth for a few seconds at a time. But I get periodic stutters that way.

The game itself should be doing the frame limiting. Really hoping AIR goes fully open source some day, since I think features like this would be more likely to be added by pull request.
I agree that it's unfortunate these remakes don't have better filter options.
Someone added an "Enhanced" scaling option to the 1 & 2 Decompilation that is basically a sharp bilinear upscale. Looks so much better than AIR's Soft 1 and 2 shaders.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I did try that, and it will be smooth for a few seconds at a time. But I get periodic stutters that way.

The game itself should be doing the frame limiting. Really hoping AIR goes fully open source some day, since I think features like this would be more likely to be added by pull request.
It's possible that a limit of 60 in the NVIDIA Control Panel is just not quite low enough to prevent the game's own (bad) limiter from kicking in, since that appears to limit the game speed but not the frame rate.
I do recommend RTSS set to 59.923 but setting the NVIDIA one to 59 might work.

Last edited: