WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I just saw this the other day. It's fantastic. I was expecting something like a visualizer that a lot of popular songs have before the video comes out when I saw the title.

Oct 22, 2020
Speaking of Dua Lipa and animated things, I am utterly baffled by her Truly commercial.

It plays constantly when I watch old eps of Drag Race on Paramount+. Probably watched it 100 times at this point and I can't make any sense of it.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Digging the old school character designs and aesthetics. Not digging the Speed Racer frame rate.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's good, but the framerate is... rough. Static Images and shots look great, but the animation... to compare this to interstellar 5555 on that front is not even close.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
seems like 80s anime aesthetic is making a bit of a comeback. been seeing it a lot lately in fashion, album art, ect

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand the comparison. The unique thing about Interstella is that it is feature length.

seems like 80s anime aesthetic is making a bit of a comeback. been seeing it a lot lately in fashion, album art, ect

I think it's tied to the city pop / future funk boom from a few years ago.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
The animation is really limited with a lot of reused frames. It does capture the aesthetic pretty well and it's pretty impressive for a fan work, but far from something that is better than most modern anime lol

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Looks better than any anime or western cartoon being released right now.

Miss the 1980s/1990s style of anime design.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is that the lady who's ass I always see in thumbnails of recommended videos?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Those are big words in the OP. This looks really limited and low budget compared to Interstella, but it's a cute idea for a music video.

Oct 25, 2017
Its cool, but an Interstella 5555 comparison isn't even close. They're both anime but thats about it. Dua Lipa visibly cuts corners (despite being generally good looking) and 5555 was basically an entire movie.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Style is good all around, but you can tell just how limited the time/budget was on this. Fluid animation is hard, but I love youtubers that do shit like this. Reminds me of one of my favorite channels that does animation stuff that I randomly stumbled into last year:

I also think this is a far better representation of old anime asthetic in a modern container and higher quality, but that makes sense considering it was made by an actual studio.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It's really good. Dua Lipa is fantastic.

Nice bonus is that this gets that complete idiot DaBaby out of a Levitating video.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
It's good, but the framerate is... rough. Static Images and shots look great, but the animation... to compare this to interstellar 5555 on that front is not even close.
Yup. I LOVE that song, and the artist did a good job, but to compare that to the One More Time video among others from Interstella is just crazy talk.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I think the stilted animation is kind of...part of the aesthetic? Like that seems in line with capturing the vibe of like old, cheaply-produced anime

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Aesthetically it goes for the 80s anime style, whereas Interstella 5555 looks like a late 90s/early 00s anime (which it is). Was this made by a single person? Very cool. Definitely seeing the Dirty Pair 'inspiration' as well