Jan 10, 2018
It's not antitrust because Google's search engine and YouTube are services and products that Google offers. Consumers have alternative choices for search engines and game footage websites.

Google just happens to have the most popular video platform and search engine globally.

Try selling your game by uploading videos on dailymotion and not YouTube.

Just try.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's not antitrust because Google's search engine and YouTube are services and products that Google offers. Consumers have alternative choices for search engines and game footage websites.

Ha ha. That's a good one. Unless you live in China the options aren't forced on you.

Google's reach has to be examined but anti-trust rules in the US have been reinterpreted to look at it from the viewpoint of how it hurts the consumer (https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019/02/20/696342011/antitrust-2-the-paradox)

Peltz what you are asking for technically is for businesses to be defended from Google's monopolistic potential because it is them who has to deal with the actual financial costs. We as consumers have to deal with the burdens to our privacy that Google places on us with increasing power.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
how do you think google got so big in the first place OP? Or microsoft?

MS owns the OS your running your computer on, google owns the search engines you search for things on.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP, you're not going to convince an American audience — that's been indoctrinated with Bork's take on anti-trust — that anything that doesn't directly and immediately harm consumers is a problem.

Nov 10, 2017
Beyond search and youtube, how about the fact that Google, Microsoft, and Amazon are the only companies in existance that can truely compete in this space because they have special access to their server infrastructure. Its not good when a company like Sony (HUGE) is too small to compete in the space.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017

Google just happens to have the most popular video platform and search engine globally.

That's not how antitrust works. It doesn't have to be the only choice, just owning the majority of the market (which Google definitely owns in both cases).

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
The bigger issue that I see here is that Stadia will likely be using proprietary technology that will block non-Chromium browsers from being able to use it. Anyone familiar with Web Standards and Mozilla's constant struggle against developers who code exclusively for Chrome will be familiar with this. Firefox users in particular can probably list off a bunch of services either by Google or third-parties which provides reduced functionality or gives them an error message telling them they can't use the service, even if a user agent change can bypass this with little error. Here, it's likely that you'll have no way to use Stadia on Firefox or browsers with alternative rendering engines - that is indeed a problem.
I'm a software engineer and while I'm not a web developer myself, those who I work with have a very straightforward and non-biased reason for coding for Chrome...it actually allows you to debug your code unlike other browsers...at least that's what they've told me.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Wow. Lots of people not only negative but literally afraid of the stadia. Interesting. Not saying they're wrong but damn.
It's a new service, of course we will talk the shit outta it.
Switch to Firefox and use Bing

Vote with your browser
Except browser war is borderline antitrust.

Microsoft tried to force users to install Google Edge and Google lost their shit. Alternatively, Firefox and Microsoft Edge are way behind Chrome, and not because Google keeps forcing them to be outdated and not working well with their products, products that billions of people use. Microsoft stopped fighting and is now embracing Chrome, and Firefox is fighting the good fight that they cannot win because everyone uses Chrome in their phones and associate that with the internet.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Also, everything about Google is an antitrust issue honestly. They control the main way people search things on the internet and can sell their own stuff instead of competitors really easy.

This is just another thing on top of how terrible of an idea a super corp like Google is.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is a huge concentration of power and I do not like it. Google is already an ethically problematic juggernaut.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Wow. Lots of people not only negative but literally afraid of the stadia. Interesting. Not saying they're wrong but damn.
It's a new service, of course we will talk the shit outta it.
Switch to Firefox and use Bing

Vote with your browser
Except browser war is borderline antitrust.

Microsoft tried to force W10 users to install Microsoft Edge, and Google lost their shit. Alternatively, Firefox and Microsoft Edge are way behind Chrome, and not because Google keeps forcing them to be outdated and not working well with their products, products that billions of people use. Microsoft stopped fighting and is now embracing Chrome, and Firefox is fighting the good fight that they cannot win because everyone uses Chrome in their phones and associate that with the internet.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think "anti-trust laws" apply to Google(yet), but there are many valid arguments for breaking up big tech giants. It needs to happen soon, but history teaches that it won't.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I won't go as far as to say it was intentionally designed to be uncompetitive considering Stadia isn't out yet.

The concern is somewhat justified though.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It does seem kinda silly in the same way the whole IE/Windows thing was silly.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
I think the media isn't talking about it because you are blowing this out of proportion? Google has legit competition from the other tech giants.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I'm a software engineer and while I'm not a web developer myself, those who I work with have a very straightforward and non-biased reason for coding for Chrome...it actually allows you to debug your code unlike other browsers...at least that's what they've told me.
Last time I checked every modern browser has a built-in debugger.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So are we just making up random arguments as to why Stacia is bad now? Between this and the "what happens if the internet dies" post I'm kinda at a loss for words here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people were worried that Microsoft would ruin competition on the internet with Internet Explorer built-into Windows?

That was a funny one.

Now Google is ruining Microsoft with their own web browser, their own OS, their own streaming services, their own web search engine, and now their own gaming service. And how about that Windows Phone, eh?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
OP, you're not going to convince an American audience — that's been indoctrinated with Bork's take on anti-trust — that anything that doesn't directly and immediately harm consumers is a problem.

You say that but the Spotify vs Apple thread was full of people who think Apple is being unfair. So far we haven't seen anything to indicate that this service will hurt competition.

Oct 27, 2017

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Antitrust?

LOL

"Google is too great! We must make it sucky so others can compete!"

I don't think "anti-trust laws" apply to Google(yet), but there are many valid arguments for breaking up big tech giants. It needs to happen soon, but history teaches that it won't.

I mean Google just got 1.5b€ antitrust fine today, for third year in row. (4b€ last year, 2b€ in 2017)
and even after 7.5b€ google doesn't give fuck....

Last time I checked every modern browser has a built-in debugger.

This is true. Firefox in fact are better than Chromes in some ways. (worse in some).

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
You realize video uploaders, not Google control their videos, right? I very much doubt they're going to allow Google to auto add Stream Now buttons if the trailer is exclusive for a specific platform holder or in their YouTube account. It will most definitely be feature that can be toggled

But the point is Sony and MS would basically be marketing games for Google. If Google starts eating their lunch they are gonna have to rethink the way they market games. And in most cases Google themselves could land these deals easily taking them away from them. Think about how many views video game trailers get and the amount of drama that comes from Youtube upvotes + downvotes. Think about how many trailers get mirrored. Youtube is ridiculously popular in this regard. Something like the Infinite Warfare debacle would actually be a case of bad PR is good PR. You could instantly play the game for the most downvoted video trailer in history of youtube.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Unless Google prevents information about these games landing on other platforms or blocks content for other platforms, I don't think they are breaking any laws. They purchased youtube and can do what they want with the site.

Though threads like this do highlight why I'm not a fan of any one company having too much power over the internet.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't they just get fined 1.7 billion from the European commission today? I know that's unrelated but YouTube is huge and if they leverage it to suit their own platform then yes, that's a huge issue as they've made it clear they'll continue to use their status to give themselves an unfair advantage.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Easing barrier to entry is not anti competitive. Your suggestion that they will prioritise their own store in search results however is but we don't know if they will do that (doubt they will be so blatant).

I think there is some anti-trust concerns surrounding Youtube integration however. The cross synergies between YouTube and Stadia are huge and exclusivey favour Google...but that's because no one else has a similar capability on the market yet. Will they expose APIs to allow others e.g. Microsoft to integrate their streaming service with YouTube?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Dude.... antitrust isnt the absence of competition but the dominance of it

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is no journalist covering this issue that doesnt exist? Where are their priorities?

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think it matters how successful Stadia may become. There will always be people that prefer to play locally on their own hardware. I understand the concern of monopolizing storefronts but we just arent even at that point yet.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's fairly obvious from the Spotify/Apple threads in general that Americans tend not to have the slightest idea about European anti-trust and competition law.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Google just got 1.5b€ antitrust fine today, for third year in row. (4b€ last year, 2b€ in 2017)
and even after 7.5b€ google doesn't give fuck....

This is true. Firefox in fact are better than Chromes in some ways. (worse in some).
You're right, the EU seems to still be effective atleast.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people were worried that Microsoft would ruin competition on the internet with Internet Explorer built-into Windows?

That was a funny one.

Now Google is ruining Microsoft with their own web browser, their own OS, their own streaming services, their own web search engine, and now their own gaming service. And how about that Windows Phone, eh?

Uh, that is what happened. Netscape died in less than a decade. Microsoft hijacked multiple open web standards and jammed ActiveX down everyone's throats.

Google wouldn't even exist if the US and EU hadn't cracked down on Microsoft. Not in the way it does today at least.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Oct 27, 2017
But the point is Sony and MS would basically be marketing games for Google. If Google starts eating their lunch they are gonna have to rethink the way they market games. And in most cases Google themselves could land these deals easily taking them away from them. Think about how many views video game trailers get and the amount of drama that comes from Youtube upvotes + downvotes. Think about how many trailers get mirrored. Youtube is ridiculously popular in this regard. Something like the Infinite Warfare debacle would actually be a case of bad PR is good PR. You could instantly play the game for the most downvoted video trailer in history of youtube.

How would they? Like I said, I doubt Sony and MS are going to allow "Stream Now" on any videos on their channels, and they'll request the same of any third party partners, so that just leaves mirror videos which will probably also have the same stipulations. So then you're left with just influencer/youtuber channels, and like I showed before with my link, Twitch FAR outpaces Youtube in live streams. I don't think it'll be as pervasive as people think. You say Google could just land these deals, but we have no indication so far of Google landing any exclusive deals going by the presentation. It's too premature to assume the worst case scenario

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure "monopoly" is the best word for the issue. The general problem with these megacorporations is that they're so diversified that they affect nearly every aspect of our lives, while generally antitrust agencies only get involved if a company gets too dominant in one specific market or abuses their power to dominate a specific market.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously... the ignorant takes in here. Google as a search engine is serving a market function, but isn't being neutral and even-handed about it. But that's not an argument about how big Google is. The problem is the non-neutrality of the platform, not the size.

That is an example of vertical anticompetitive behavior.

It's the same issue that Amazon has - purporting to be an open market place but placing its own products as no. 1 search results rather than basing them on a fair metric compared to third party sellers.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I don't see how this is an "unfair advantage" -- in this scenario people are using Google's services because it is easier and more convenient. A pessimistic take would be that it's because people won't know about any alternatives, but it's not illegal to have a strong brand that people know about.

If they start, e.g., deliberately blocking information about competitors from appearing on searches or on Youtube or something, then that would probably be an antitrust issue.

Here's an interesting possibility: What if Microsoft wanted to add a "Play now" button on YouTube that launched xCloud rather than Stevia on the trailers on their own channel, but Google wouldn't allow it.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Heard from who? People who don't do web dev?
From my web developer co-workers...as I said...

A cursory look online shows that the general opinion has been that Chrome had the best dev tools even if it wasn't the only one for a long time. Seems Firefox has improved drastically recently, but many will stick with Chrome for a while just because that's what they're familiar with.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not totally sure the 'link to play now' integration will necessarily take off - I mean don't lots of streamers depend on donations, suddenly people watching their feed are buying the games they're playing instead of dontating, if it means lost revenue they won't play along if that's the case. Also you have people watching streams don't necessarily want to play the game they're there to be passive and watch.

Though i think as a community we should be concerned about google being able to manipulate the views of people - the search engine alone is massive, gaming will thrive when it the best games rise to the top and sell well - and you only get there by having everyone get access to genuine impressions and reviews with people not having conflicts of interest; and reviewers keeping a distance from their subjects.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Seriously... the ignorant takes in here. Google as a search engine is serving a market function, but isn't being neutral and even-handed about it. But that's not an argument about how big Google is. The problem is the non-neutrality of the platform, not the size.

That is an example of vertical anticompetitive behavior.

Indeed.

And Google was fined by the EC because it was favoring its partners on Google Shopping.