• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
very few players would do this and to be honest they shoulndt if they dont want to, this isnt a case of having th same job and getting payed less.

didnt wwe sign a deal with netflix that could extend for 10 years?(if netflix wanted to)
They did sign a 10year/5 billion deal with Netflix (while signing a cable deal for Smackdown and a broadcast deal for NXT), but that has a bunch of caveats, and may actually be less money than they were making before. Prior to the deal, they had a $200 million/year deal with Peacock for the Network content, a 250 million/year deal for Raw on US TV, and they had all their international rights with various networks overseas, plus their WWE Network outside the US. Starting in 2026, Netflix is paying $500 million a year for ALL of that combined. In 2025, though, they are paying that only for the international stuff and for Raw, so it's a monster increase for 1 year. But if WWE was making more than $50 million combined on EVERYTHING else in the world they do, then the Netflix deal is actually a drop in value over the life of the deal, but it comes with the advantage of easier bookeeping/workflow (ie, not having to do 50 deals for different countries and letting Netflix handle it), it's more exposure (there are more Netflix subs in the US than cable subs at this point, and it's only going to become a wider gap as the years go on), and having everything under one banner makes it so there is less risk overall. But, just like with the NBA/WNBA rights bundling, they did pay a price for getting the bundle- they didn't get a big increase!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
They are also playing less than half the games as the men, they need more teams and more games to get on tv more.
Yeah that's true. Even with a shorter season, I wonder how much more airtime the league is going to get with Caitlin Clark now. I get the feeling that if there was ever a time to strike while the iron is hot, this would be it.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I'm kind of torn on this, but I also agree with you overall. I think that all professional athletes, even those in the NBA, are underpaid. It's the talent that fuels these monstrously profitable industries and the people on the court providing the entertainment should continue to get larger & larger slices of the pie. That said, I do also think there's room to shave off the current salaries that NBA players are earning. I know that sounds completely contradictory (it is), but I guess I want NBA players paid more in general and to also have their salaries trimmed to support the WNBA.
I mean you're talking a league that has a 50/50 revenue split so I don't think it's too bad. The players aren't supporting any of the leagues expenses so it's not like ownership is making 50% of the revenue. They still have to pay for everything that goes around the players out of that 50% share, refs, stadium costs (not building it but keeping it running that's a whole different convo), concessions, merchandising, trainers, coaches, back office, etc before they see a dime. All of those expenses are also providing the entertainment so to speak, they're just not dribbling.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Very low pay, but she's gonna make millions in endorsements. Also, maybe more people will watch with her playing.

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
If you actually care about how much the women are getting paid you should actually support their content and watch the games. Hopefully Caitlin puts more eyes on the WNBA for this to actually happen.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's true. Even with a shorter season, I wonder how much more airtime the league is going to get with Caitlin Clark now. I get the feeling that if there was ever a time to strike while the iron is hot, this would be it.

For the Indiana Fever, 36 out of 40 games will be on national television. Most are on NBA TV, but ESPN/ABC and CBS will have their fair share as well.

DATETIME (ET)OPPONENTNATIONAL TV NETWORK
May 147:30 p.m.at ConnecticutESPN 2
May 167:00 p.m.vs New YorkPrime Video
May 181:00 p.m.at New YorkABC
May 207:00 p.m.vs ConnecticutESPN
May 2210:00 p.m.at Seattle
May 2410:00 p.m.at Los AngelesION
May 259:00 p.m.at Las VegasNBA TV
May 287:00 p.m.vs Los AngelesNBA TV
May 307:00 p.m.vs SeattlePrime Video
June 11:00 p.m.vs ChicagoNBA TV
June 27:00 p.m.at New YorkNBA TV
June 77:30 p.m.at WashingtonION
June 107:00 p.m.at ConnecticutNBA TV
June 137:00 p.m.vs Atlanta
June 1612:00 p.m.vs ChicagoCBS
June 197:00 p.m.vs WashingtonNBA TV
June 217:30 p.m.at AtlantaION
June 236:00 p.m.at ChicagoNBA TV
June 2710:00 p.m.at SeattlePrime Video
June 303:00 p.m.at PhoenixESPN
July 29:30 p.m.at Las VegasESPN
July 61:00 p.m.vs New YorkCBS
July 1012:00 p.m.vs WashingtonNBA TV
July 127:30 p.m.vs PhoenixION
July 144:00 p.m.at MinnesotaESPN
July 177:30 p.m.at DallasESPN
Aug. 167:30 p.m.vs PhoenixION
Aug. 183:30 p.m.vs SeattleABC
Aug. 248:00 p.m.at MinnesotaNBA TV
Aug. 267:30 p.m.at AtlantaNBA TV
Aug. 287:00 p.m.vs ConnecticutNBA TV
Aug. 307:30 p.m.at ChicagoION
Sept. 14:00 p.m.at DallasNBA TV
Sept. 47:00 p.m.vs Los AngelesCBS Sports Network
Sept. 67:30 p.m.vs MinnesotaION
Sept. 84:00 p.m.vs Atlanta
Sept. 117:00 p.m.vs Las VegasNBA TV
Sept. 137:30 p.m.vs Las VegasION
Sept. 153:00 p.m.vs Dallas
Sept. 957:00 p.m.at WashingtonPrime Video

Which leads me to another rant about blackouts. A lot of people are going to buy WNBA League Pass to watch Caitlyn Clark, but a bunch of the games can't be viewed because of the ancient blackout rules.

In the U.S., certain nationally televised games (currently, those on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, CBS, CBS Sports Network and Prime Video) are not available live on WNBA League Pass.

Frequently Asked Questions: WNBA League Pass - WNBA

1. What is WNBA League Pass? WNBA League Pass is the WNBA’s subscription streaming product that provides fans with access to live and on-demand games. Available games may vary by country and within the local footprint of participating teams. Please see FAQ #6 below for additional details. 2...

I get that everyone wants their piece of the pie, but that is going to hurt the WNBA's potential growth when 15 of Caitlyn Clark's games are already blacked out across the country on League Pass.

Risitas

May 13, 2022
Caitlin Clark is "underpaid" -> She's popular and increase the WNBA TV ratings and popularity -> New TV Deal -> She (and other players) gets a gigantic salary increase

They get paid a percentage of what the league makes, that's how you get mediocre players making 10M per year in the NBA because teams have to spend money somewhere lol. She also just signed a 10M+ deal with Nike I think.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
For the Indiana Fever, 36 out of 40 games will be on national television. Most are on NBA TV, but ESPN/ABC and CBS will have their fair share as well.

Damn, that's cool. I'm sure we'll see how much a direct pop in viewership Clark will bring.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Also if caitlin clark does bring a lasting popularity boost they can use it to negotiate a better TV deal which in return would allow the players union to leverage their power to negotiate higher pay in the next cba(which could be coming in 2026 from what i'm reading).

Elry09

Nov 11, 2017
When it came to the US Women's Soccer Team making less I was definitely in the camp that they should be paid equal to the male team

This is different, like someone posted, the WNBA makes a fraction of what the NBA does so it makes sense their players would make a fraction, but hopefully the new found popularity of Women's collegic basketball will translate to the WNBA growing and soon their players can be payed more

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
If you actually care about how much the women are getting paid you should actually support their content and watch the games. Hopefully Caitlin puts more eyes on the WNBA for this to actually happen.

Exactly, higher ticket sales and higher viewership (leading to more lucrative TV contracts) will do more to increase salaries than anything else.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
The way to get more money is better sponsorship and viewers in the WNBA league. That's how NBA players get paid so much.

I don't even know how you can fix that really.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Damn is a third of that contract salary even enough to cover a rent in IND? I guess some teammates can rent places together.
Yes, Indy is not a very expensive city. I rent a house with a fenced in yard and garage, less than 10 minutes from downtown, and pay less than $900 a month in rent. Now, I've been lucky that my landlord hasn't raised the rent in the last 5 years I've lived here. But even my friends who rent decent apartments in the heart of downtown only pay $1,200-$1,400.

$75K would be a very comfortable salary for this city. I make a good deal less than that and I'm not struggling too much (though utilities are getting ridiculous and food inflation has hit hard).

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think part of the point is Victor Wembanyama is making an average of 13.8 million/year in his rookie contract, and that's 0.14% of that 10B in league revenue.

Whereas Caitlin is averaging 88k/year, which is just 0.04% of the WNBA's annual revenue.

Essentially, Victor is making 3x the share of league revenue that Caitlin is. And you could argue Caitlin's impact on league revenue is going to be much higher than Victor's.

Overall if the WNBA had the same ratio as the NBA average salary compared to league revenue, the players would be getting paid $216k/year on average. When in reality it's only about half of that.

But there's also the fact that costs don't scale linearly with revenue - there are certain unavoidable costs to running a NBA or WNBA team before you get to salaries and profit. Arena leases, transportation, practice/training facilities, etc. Those things will certainly be CHEAPER with WNBA teams I'd assume, but not necessarily to the same proportion of NBA vs. WNBA revenues.

If Clark can show that she's a massive draw everywhere she goes in the WNBA unlike basically anyone else in the league right now, she will be able to command a massive raise when her contract is up and teams will be fighting to get that draw on their roster.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018

Which leads me to another rant about blackouts. A lot of people are going to buy WNBA League Pass to watch Caitlyn Clark, but a bunch of the games can't be viewed because of the ancient blackout rules.

Frequently Asked Questions: WNBA League Pass - WNBA

1. What is WNBA League Pass? WNBA League Pass is the WNBA’s subscription streaming product that provides fans with access to live and on-demand games. Available games may vary by country and within the local footprint of participating teams. Please see FAQ #6 below for additional details. 2...

I get that everyone wants their piece of the pie, but that is going to hurt the WNBA's potential growth when 15 of Caitlyn Clark's games are already blacked out across the country on League Pass.
fuvk Black out rules. I live in Minnesotaand I have never seen the Timberwolves play. My tax paid for there stadium so buck them

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
But there's also the fact that costs don't scale linearly with revenue - there are certain unavoidable costs to running a NBA or WNBA team before you get to salaries and profit. Arena leases, transportation, practice/training facilities, etc. Those things will certainly be CHEAPER with WNBA teams I'd assume, but not necessarily to the same proportion of NBA vs. WNBA revenues.

If Clark can show that she's a massive draw everywhere she goes in the WNBA unlike basically anyone else in the league right now, she will be able to command a massive raise when her contract is up and teams will be fighting to get that draw on their roster.
She already has shown that she is a draw though

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The sensible solution is to have the men make less, by taxing them more. A "recreation and entertainment tax" that taxes revenues above some threshold at like 90+%.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I disagree with all this, but I'd be more worried about other players in the league.
Probably also worth noting that Clark is on the verge of signing an 8-figure deal with Nike.
Basically because of this. Caitlin Clark has, and probably will continue to have, lucrative deals with multiple companies.

As long as she's smart with her money, she won't have to worry about how much she's making from the WNBA. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about most other players.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The sensible solution is to have the men make less, by taxing them more. A "recreation and entertainment tax" that taxes revenues above some threshold at like 90+%.

In what universe does the NBA Players Union agree to that?

Also, the owners don't tax the players.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood why people struggle to understand why the WNBA and NBA salaries are different.

Almost every time this comes up, it's usually someone who hasn't bought a single ticket to a WNBA, hasn't watched a WNBA season on TV, bought a single WNBA jersey, or contributed really in any way to the things that would ACTUALLY increase WNBA salaries.

Most people are arguing specific amounts, but the only real argument here is the % of revenue, which is 100% on the table to argue, especially when the new CBA negotiation comes around.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely not. Why would it be? Think of it as communities cashing in on their investments in sports via public funding and infrastructure.

The players will be fine, the players on the local pro soccer team here make like $40k a year and seem to be happy to do it.
That's just ridiculous. The local professional soccer team isn't making billions in revenue for their league.

The players deserve to be paid relative to the revenue that they bring in.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
And nba players paying higher taxes has no impact on wnba salaries increasing
The union wouldn't have to agree to the taxes any more than any of us have to agree to ours.

The figures posted earlier in the thread were $10bn for NBA and $200mm for WNBA. So the new tax could kick in on revenues over $500mm and they get a deduction for funds sent to the WNBA (or just government fund them from the taxes collected).
That's just ridiculous. The local professional soccer team isn't making billions in revenue for their league.

The players deserve to be paid relative to the revenue that they bring in.
They still would be? Except in the libertarian view of taxation I guess?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
As everyone already said, the WNBA operates at a loss as it makes nowhere near as much money as the NBA.

Caitlyn has shown to be a promising star. But they need something to really make people tune in. We'll need real rivalries. Like how we had with Iowa vs LSU. We need to keep that momentum going in the WNBA. People tuned in to the rivalries of Magic vs Larry which helped save the NBA.

Also, there have been some NBA players who have suggested that dunking would bring way more excitement into the game but of course it would mean lowering the rim if it meant they could dunk. Michael Jordan for example had amazing dunks which enamored everyone and helped grow the NBA to new heights.

The benefit of people tuning in just for Clark is that they will get exposed to a lot of great players and that lifts everyone.

Like if someone only followed Clark in the last few games of the tournament, you got to see her compete against Reese (again) and Flau'jae, then see the hype around Bueckers, and then number 3 pick Kamilla Cardoso. All that was missing was a matchup against Juju but it was either her or Bueckers anyway. If the NCAA can keep the hype going with the likes of Bueckers and then Juju maybe that continues on even as Clark goes up against the WNBA heavyweights.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

There's no need for any of that. Ultimately this is in the hands of the people who're upset. If they want these women to make more money then buy tickets to these games and watch them on TV. And not just the games that Caitlyn is involved in. During the 2023 WNBA season the average attendance was 6,608, while the NBA's season was 18,324. TV viewership average for the WNBA is 505k, while for the NBA its 1.6m. The WNBA Finals averaged 728k viewers, while last years NBA Finals averaged 11.6m. Right now there's a massive disparity not only in the level of interest between the WNBA and NBA, but also how much money fans are putting into each league.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The union wouldn't have to agree to the taxes any more than any of us have to agree to ours.

The figures posted earlier in the thread were $10bn for NBA and $200mm for WNBA. So the new tax could kick in on revenues over $500mm and they get a deduction for funds sent to the WNBA (or just government fund them from the taxes collected).

They still would be? Except in the libertarian view of taxation I guess?

So your plan is for the government to tax NBA players and immediately pour that money into the WNBA? Good luck with that.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So your plan is for the government to tax NBA players and immediately pour that money into the WNBA? Good luck with that.
No, the plan would be to tax the NBA players and immediately pour the money into communities, but I'd be OK with a WNBA subsidy to offset any decrease in funding from the NBA that might occur from the tax increase.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
No, the plan would be to tax the NBA players and immediately pour the money into communities, but I'd be OK with a WNBA subsidy to offset any decrease in funding from the NBA that might occur from the tax increase.
So tax the players more and not the billionaire owners. It's ok to not contribute if you don't know what you are talking about.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So tax the players more and not the billionaire owners. It's ok to not contribute if you don't know what you are talking about.
I literally said tax NBA revenue which would hit the owners? And of course I'd be in support of increased billionaire taxes, what a daft post.

Actually, I think all pro sports teams should be owned and operated by the state, and players would be government employees. The National Parks department could run them. This is much cleaner than a tax system anyway.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
So what does that even have to do salary inequities between the NBA and WNBA? Your solution to parity is to… lower the salaries of NBA players through targeted taxation?

edit: I see your post about the parks service owning the NBA… ok lol.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I literally said tax NBA revenue which would hit the owners? And of course I'd be in support of increased billionaire taxes, what a dense post.

Actually, I think all pro sports teams should be owned and operated by the state, and players would be government employees. The National Parks department could run them. This is much cleaner than a tax system anyway.

Why stop there? I guess I'm not understanding what it is about sports teams that you feel need to be taken over by government, why not all businesses?

Because players make a lot of money?

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to tell if this tax detail is real or a parody of online leftists. The solution to the WNBA not paying their athletes enough is… have the Parks department nationalize the NBA.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood why people struggle to understand why the WNBA and NBA salaries are different.

Almost every time this comes up, it's usually someone who hasn't bought a single ticket to a WNBA, hasn't watched a WNBA season on TV, bought a single WNBA jersey, or contributed really in any way to the things that would ACTUALLY increase WNBA salaries.

Most people are arguing specific amounts, but the only real argument here is the % of revenue, which is 100% on the table to argue, especially when the new CBA negotiation comes around.
The other issue is basically all leagues have rookie limits on contracts to help/protect teams and older players. So it doesn't matter what the revenue or % of revenue is, Clark will be underpaid because of the rookie contract, which is pretty much how all leagues work. Lebron James was worth far more than the 5-7 million he was making as a rookie.

So I think it's both people not understanding the revenue discrepancy and how rookie contracts work.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Am I mistaken, or doesn't the WNBA actually operate at a loss and is essentially subsidized by the NBA? Whether or not the NBA overpays players / owners make too much money is a different story, but the WNBA is paying a rookie more than the median US salary, straight out of college, to play basketball. It's not an unreasonable amount to be paid for what is being done especially considering they're losing money.

I do anticipate the WNBA to be come profitable in the future, and absolutely, players should get their fair cut at that point. I don't think the low pay is an example of sexism but I do think the lack of audience is a result of sexism, whether subtle or more overt.

Also: The WNBA season is half the number of games as the NBA season. There's a disparity, there, too, although I'm sure training persists mostly year-round in either case.

I'm not sure I agree with the lack of audience as sexism unless we are saying the only gender of people who can be sports fans are men. Bill Burr made a good point about the women being upset that people aren't going to WNBA games. He's like "well, have YOU gone to a game?" Have YOU watched it on TV? It's not like men have to be the only ones to float the popularity of sports.

If women are playing the sport because they love the sport, why can't women watch the sport because they love the sport?

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The government cannot just tax the salaries of a specific group of employees. That is literally not how taxes work.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I think most of the points have already been covered here. You want to see them paid more? Support the product. I'm going to guess the majority of folks taking offense to this have not gone to or even viewed a full game.

The amount of exposure to Caitlin has been tremendous. For what most consider a joke, I've seen full viewing gatherings and the games on at random bars with random drunks cheering her on. This is the time to start spotlighting new talent and marketing their transition to the professional game.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I agree with the lack of audience as sexism unless we are saying the only gender of people who can be sports fans are men. Bill Burr made a good point about the women being upset that people aren't going to WNBA games. He's like "well, have YOU gone to a game?" Have YOU watched it on TV? It's not like men have to be the only ones to float the popularity of sports.

If women are playing the sport because they love the sport, why can't women watch the sport because they love the sport?
Yeah it's not sexism. There are lots of sports where the women's version is more or equally popular. Basketball is not one of them currently.