• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The most common complain I see about PS exclusives is that "they all look and play the same". Sometimes you get some variation, like "They're all TLOU clones" but you get the idea.

Having played most of these games, that's just not true at all.

tib9zdpri3qi33l3swah.gif

Let's start with Bloodborne. An action RPG with a heavy emphasis on close combat and exploration, set in a dystopic victorian city.

7qzL.gif

Horizon: Zero Dawn, an open world RPG with heavy emphasis on narrative and long-distance combat.

2Wh5y4A.jpg

Gravity Rush 2. I feel like calling this an action open world with a heavy emphasis on a completely unique traversal wouldn't really be explaining what it's about. It's definitely one of the most unique games from this list.

1f0799d2ee67fd137066bd82cb949a9e.gif

God of War, a semi-linear action RPG focused on narrative and combat with an over-the-shoulder camera.

Uncharted4.gif

Uncharted 4. An action adventure game with a heavy emphasis on narrative, exploration and third-person shooting.

the-last-guardian-lanzamiento.gif

The Last Guardian. A Team Ico game, so it doesn't really fit into a specific genre. It's a puzzle game I guess.

d7b1222d103bb2fbab4126d7ec2a0de3ffbe2115_hq.gif

Spider-Man. A formulaic open world with an emphasis on narrative and traversal, with Arkham-like combat.
-------​
There's still some more that I haven't mentioned, like Gran Turismo Sport or The Order, but you get the idea.Of all of these games, the only common theme between them all is... being narrative focused? But even that is such an open definition that it besides "it has a story and it's one of the main draws", it doesn't mean anything.

They all have unique art-styles, atmospheres, gameplay systems, camerawork, etc. that calling them "TLOU clones" is a really superficial comparison, if you could call it a comparison at all. Yeah the camera in GoW works similarly to how it works on TLOU, yeah it has a father-child relationship going on, but the rest of the game is entirely different. It doesn't make sense.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First time I'm hearing about this "complain".

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
i think they meant all are 3rd-person action-adventure games, which i can understand.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Haters will always try to find all kind of excuses to downplay sony's exclusives, nothing new.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Whenever you hear someone say that you can instantly identify them as a fanboy, just like when people say MS only makes dudebro shooters or Nintendo only makes kiddie games

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is this just an excuse to praise Sony exclusives? Who takes these "complaints" seriously lol.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
I think most people who make the argument that Sony first party games all look the same are either not being serious, arguing in bad faith, or guilty of the fallacy that graphically "realistic" games cannot have distinct art styles.

Zippro

May 20, 2018
They're primarily discussing the structure, elements at play, visuals, mood, and this is almost always in regards to their Western devs that really do pull this shit quite often. Yeah, TLoU, Uncharted, and God of War all have different gameplay, but they sure do share a lot of design elements that keep them from feeling unique. That's kind of why Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are seen as "eh" by many. They may have been wildly different in gameplay, but they still felt super samey due to their structural elements.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You spent more time refuting this nonsense meme than the people did playing those games. In their eyes, they already won.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
"cinematic 3rd person action-adventure"

It's not wholly inaccurate. Sony does a lot of those and this generation more than ever after the success of Last of Us. A lot of the games share design sensibilities, just as many Nintendo games share some "Nintendo DNA". That doesn't mean Spider-Man is the same game as God of War.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dont think that is a real complaint really

They do, however, have lots of singleplayer focused games

.... which is GREAT imo

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a lazy argument for lazy people. There are certainly things to critique Sony's first party releases for but them all looking and playing alike is console warrior/troll nonsense.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
One thing that always bothers me is that everyone always ignore MLB The Show when discussing Sony's games. I know it is an annual franchise and not for everyone but every year they produce a quality sports games.

People also tend to ignore the number of smaller/indie games Sony has published along with all the VR games.

And than there's LBP3, Knack 1&2, Tearaway Unfolded, Until Dawn and Detroit.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone who's spent enough time to read and understand this topic already agreed with you.

The arguments that Sony games are all similar are often along the lines of "they mostly have trees in them".

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think that Sony Worldwide Studios games all use the same playbook in the way that a band's music uses the same underlying structure for all of their songs. But ... like, a Nintendo game also feels like a Nintendo game. This isn't an inherently bad thing.

For me, it's only bad because I haven't loved any of the recent Sony Worldwide games, and they are unlikely to change much. But that's a personal thing and not really a reflection on their quality.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
It's that they all are 3rd person and story driven it's Kinda true...luckily my favorite type of game so I hope it never changes

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Much of it is fanboy fodder bullshit in the same way that "Nintendo makes kiddy games"

Though you could, at least, argue that there has been a reduction in breadth of variety compared to PS3, which I would agree with.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They make a lot of 3rd person cinematic action games. They're fairly diverse though. They tend to not really land with me that much (beyond God of War which I loved) but enough people seem to love them that i'm glad they're doing them.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think they meant all are 3rd-person action-adventure games, which i can understand.
ya sorta this. I finally got a PS4 not too long ago after being with Xbox since launch. I'm planning on catching up on exclusives but honestly, all the hype doesn't up games don't really intrigue me besides a few. I got Rachet and clank, Spider-Man and planning on getting god of war this week. Loved the first two though. But looking at the list of top PS4 exclusives, I'm not seeing any games that I really want. Don't feel like playing HZD after finishing RD. Uncharted never interested me and bloodborne is not really my type. I'm more excited for spelunky 2 more than anything else.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I made this argument at some point unfortunately, the past couple years of owning a PS4 has taught me otherwise.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really think they look or play the same. They do spend most of their development budget on 3rd person, narrative driven, action adventure games though.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
They obviously are different games that play very differently but a lot of their games do share similarity, just like how Nintendo games have a similarity despite being different games. You can look at western Sony games made pre TLoU and then look at the western Sony games post TLoU and see that after TLoU they kind of started to go for the "mature cinematic narrative game" and at times they even go a step further by adding a buddy in permanently (rather than just for occasional levels) for character development (Boy in GOW, Sam in UC4, Nadine in Lost Legacy). Infact speaking of UC, you can compare UC4/Lost Legacy to prior PS3 era UC to see that there's a difference due to it obviously being influenced by the success of TLoU.

This year we'll have another two of these "mature cinematic narrative game" in the form of Days Gone and Death Stranding, then at some point later this year or next year we'll get TLoU2. No idea if Ghosts of Tsushima will try to be one of these as well though.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think there's a decent amount of variety, but probably less so than what you see from Nintendo.

Still lots of great games, but many (not all of them) have an emphasis on cinematic presentation above other aspects. Not inherently a bad thing, mind.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Any time you see this kind of blanket statement, you can safely ignore as hyperbole or straight up trolling. Does Sony make a lot of 3rd person games that are very cinematic? Sure, but to say all Sony exclusives are the same is just pure nonsense. Driveclub is nothing like Astro Bot, which is nothing like Detroit, which is nothing like MLB The Show. You can maybe argue that it's those 3rd person games (ie. Uncharted, GoW, Horizon, Spider-Man, etc) that get the most attention from games media and fans, but I think overall Sony has a very diverse portfolio of exclusives.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony has the most diversity in line up than any other publisher out there, so I never understood that argument.

Next year they have:

Dreams: campaign is a platformer, point and click adventure, and variety of other genres. Main hook is being able to make your own games, music, and art and being able to play other people's creations.

Example of what people have been making in the beta:

Days Gone: open world zombie game. Gameplay consists of dealing with massive hordes of zombies and driving and maintaining your bike

MediEvil: Tim Burton-esque comedic hack and slash game.

MLB The Show 19: baseball sports game

Concrete Genie: puzzle game based on painting/drawing.

Everybody's Golf VR: a VR golfing game

Death Stranding: whatever this is

Ghost of Tsushima: open world action and stealth game

WiLD: open world game where you can play as different animals.

Erica: live action decision making game

Blood and Truth: VR Shooter

The Last of Us: Third person mature shooter with multiplayer

No other publisher has a line up this diverse.

Last edited:

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
First of all. Who makes this argument?

Can you provide data to show this is something real and not some made up controversy as an excuse to praise Sony?

Because I think it is not a real thing as it is the first I am hearing of it.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
its like people forget that Ratchet exists, little big planet, gravity rush, driveclub etc.

I'd argue that they have the absolute biggest variety of the big 3. I mean nintendo games are mostly platformers. /s

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
All their games are becoming the same. Just look at this concept art for their upcoming exclusive Crash Bandicoot game:

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
Not to mention Ratchet and Clank, Killzone, Little Big Planet, Tearaway, etc.

They tend to have similar creative goals of being spectacular and cinematic, but correct, they don't all play very similarly, though there are some tropes that are used somewhat frequently in many of their games (cover-based shooting, over the shoulder camera and aiming, QTEs, open world environments focusing on the natural world, etc).

Last edited:

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I think Sony games are extremely diverse and cover a lot of genres and art styles but Sony fans love to preach to the choir over and over again with the same gifs and pictures here. That's really tiresome and not the Playstation exclusives.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I could come up with a few reasons why I don't very much care for games on a Sony platform myself (which is barely a list to begin with), but "They all play the same" is one I wouldn't really say. That's like saying Battleborn and Overwatch were the exact same game and just looking at it at face value at best. I mean, I can guess that maybe if you look at games like Days Gone and TLOU, then you might be onto something, but even then the only thing they share is just setting, but little else outside that.