Status
Not open for further replies.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like how most of the characters look with the RE Engine, but Jill is the best looking one easily in my eyes. Hard to hate on her design.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I don't remember any backlash against Claire. After the RE7 Chris debacle, people were happy that Leon and Claire looked like Leon and Claire

I do remember Jill's backlash. being bummed that she wasn't modeled after Julia Voth is understandable since Voth's fave defines Jill for a ton of people but the outfit debacle was stupid

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Never really saw this for Claire or Jill, but I've certainly seen it for other characters - Aloy, Lara Croft, etc.

Not saying they don't exist - but not in big enough numbers that I was ever aware of it.

Yall take a moment and ask yourselves why you felt inclined to come in here just to try and retcon history? Cuz its giving "male gamers were never that bad, you're just crazy" vibes.

How charitable of you.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yall take a moment and ask yourselves why you felt inclined to come in here just to try and retcon history? Cuz its giving "male gamers were never that bad, you're just crazy" vibes.
Yeah I'm not sure about those posts. It was all over the internet, including this place.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
The assholes all get their marching orders from the same forums, Youtube channels, ect. It was decided Claire and Jill were the targets that month (both RE2 and RE3 remakes came out during slow times of the year). There was nothing rational or terribly revealing about it. They're both obviously good character models and not "unattractive" by any sane standard -- if they were in another game, they'd be praised.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I like everything about RE3R Jill, including the new outfit.

My only issue with RE2R Claire is that (to me) she doesn't look like original Claire. I like the design itself, and would have no issues if it was a new character or even the original Claire, it was just odd for an established character to look different (such as, for a random example, Chris suddenly showed up with a different face...cough...).

Either way, I still like the design, and I got over it anyway. :P

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I can't say much about Claire, but if someone showed me this picture before remake 3 was announced:

images

I would immediately think of Jill. Does he look exactly like Jill from RE3? No. For one, her face has more than 16 pixels. But that's Jill through and through.

I do think they could have tired to keep the costume a little more similar to the original. But I'm talking subtle changes to the design we got.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Don't remember this much about Claire.

Jill on the other hand… the amount of "This is NOT MY Jill Valentine!!!" Posts all over YT/Twitter were horrendous. Been a fan for 20yrs and IMO this was by far the best Jill ever looked/acted.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
The remake interpetations of Claire and Jill are my favorite versions of them. Just so well done from both visual and acting standpoints. I think the only issue I had was with Claire's "classic" outfit, which they actually sexualized more over the original by replacing the undershirt with a low cut tank top.

I just hope Capcom can actually attain some consistency going forward this time. Characters completely changing their looks/voices between games is a legit problem this series has.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure about those posts. It was all over the internet, including this place.

Just throwing my memories in, I don't remember a lot of hubbub over these most recent designs, however, I remember people not being fond of Claire in Revelations 2.
I will say don't be too quick to assume everyone complaining about the designs is a toxic asshole. The RE games seem to redesign the main characters in virtually every new game, and it's always a bit of a shock "THAT'S Claire?" or "What the hell did they do to Chris?" (<- I still can't get over Chris Thick Beef Redfield). It's not that I don't believe you, just that a lot of the discourse isn't necessarily some hate for the female protagonists but could just be general comments on character redesigns.

Personally I think the redesigns are fantastic in those two Remakes, Leon and Carlos (Keanu) included.

I just hope Capcom can actually attain some consistency going forward this time. Characters completely changing their looks/voices between games is a legit problem this series has.

I used to want to take these games seriously, but after RE4's shift in tone, then RE5, RE6, then RE7, and especially 8.. Nothing matters. Nothing matters at all, and I eventually realized I had been caring more about continuity and grounding than the developers of the games do. It's just wacky nonsense, whatever seems cool to put in the game, so we just have to embrace that, new actors in old roles and all.

Last edited:

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah I dont remember anything about Claire but holy FUCK at the amount of "NOT MY JILL VALENTINE" like posts
But at the same time, considering that both characters were women that got clothes added to them in a modern design, yeah i can't imagine that going well with weirdo audiences

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
I don't really think new Jill looks like Jill at all, but I don't blame the model for that. I think I'm just generally not a huge fan of the way the RE Engine renders and animates faces. Nero's face in DMC5 drove me nuts because they kept making him make these weird-ass expressions.

Tbh, this is my main complaint for the faces because of this weird uncanny valley look to them due to how it is rendered by the RE Engine. Although funny enough, I think the faces in DMC5 look pretty good if a bit derpy at times.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The remake interpetations of Claire and Jill are my favorite versions of them. Just so well done from both visual and acting standpoints. I think the only issue I had was with Claire's "classic" outfit, which they actually sexualized more over the original by replacing the undershirt with a low cut tank top.

Is Chris the only one to be in multiple RE engine games? Besides him I imagine everyone will be more consistent, or at least those who are in multiple remakes.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Time for this old gem:

I think Nu Jill just looks too masculine.compared to Julia - Resident Evil 3

For Resident Evil 3 on the PlayStation 4, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "I think Nu Jill just looks too masculine.compared to Julia".

This was on the first page of the board:

Jill Valentine Face model is atrocious - Resident Evil 3

For Resident Evil 3 on the PlayStation 4, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Jill Valentine Face model is atrocious".

Well...GameFAQs message boards are not exactly the gold standard for sophisticated discussion.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I mean of course they're fine, look at them. The only issue I have with them and many other games is that they just look like a real person and not a fictional character, and they're not very stylized or cartoony.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
This is one of those threads where I think it shows that the Twitter, forum, and YouTube places I circle are nicer than I realize. As I never heard these complaints before.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
That people here didn't feel like there was that much of a backlash isn't giving cover to any sort of misogynist/gg types. Because at a certain point, how much is it worth to give any sort of energy and attention to whatever little backlash there was? And if they truly didn't see any backlash, why accuse them of anything?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you said Alloy I'd agree but Jill and Claire? I may have seen like...a couple of examples but not nearly enough to the extent OP seems to have implied.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i love both their re-designs, i don't think they could have made them more perfect. i honestly can't remember much backlash for their actual models but there was some backlash for jill's outfit. also i think when they first revealed re2 claire's model was still a WIP, i remember her looks changing quite a lot between the first reveal and the final game.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Idk about Clare because I didnt pay attention but I only saw ppl saying they prefer RE5 Jill, not that this one was ugly or anything

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing wrong with the way Claire and Jill look in the remakes, in terms of faces, or anything like that. I genuinely can't believe anyone would call either of them "ugly". That said, speaking in terms of character design, Jill's tank top and jeans combo got some rightful backlash, just for how dang boring and uninspired it is. Generally speaking, when you point that out, folks immediately jump to strawmen like "Well what do you want her to wear?!?! A suit of armor?! A G-string?! 😡" and it's like, uh, no, just maybe something more inspired than what they gave her, lmao.

Additionally, I'm not big on Jill's remake characterization, but that's entirely down to preference, and has nothing to do with some perceived "loss of sex appeal". People be wild.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I also remember a lot of complaints that Claire and Jill were using the f-word too often.
Anyone else remembers that ?

Oct 25, 2019
What's funny is that a lot of the hate is dealt out by people who likely wouldn't have played the original RE games on playstation etc. as those games are 20+ years old.

I can understand a degree of nostalgia or fondness for an original design of something from someone who played the game back then and has an image in their head or memories etc.

But you can clearly see the strings behind these types of internet crusades, as so much of this hate is coming from teenagers/young adults or people who would have been too young to play the games in the 90s, and I doubt would have the patience to play an old ass clunky game in modern times to have such fondness or nostalgia themselves (hence the existence of a remake in the first place).

So angry shouty men on the internet, leading their audience of young men/boys in angry vengeance on something most of their audience has no real attachment to in the first place.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I remember lots and lots of sexist bitching, but I also remember some more casual "I liked the old face more" for Jill but that was pretty much all drowned out.

Personally I'm glad they modernized the design even if I thought it was weird they changed the face. But at the same time I've literally only played REmake 1 so I didn't care much if at all about the new face

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh yeah I've definitely seen this. The mod scene was riddled with "fixed Claire" and "fixed Jill" mods, which, as you would guess were horribly misogynistic.

I like Claire's OG outfit more, but the new one is still good, and honestly my biggest criticism was the OG outfit you unlocked in the game being more sexualised than the original. 🙄

Also let's not forget jortsgate. Jilluminados were on the prowl.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Gross ass "gamers" are gonna be mad at any changes to women in remakes or remasters. Especially if breasts or clothes are altered in a way that makes them smaller and/ or less revealing.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
A few whiny pissbabies who have never had a relationship with a member of the opposite sex whine about the aesthetics of a 3D model in a video game. My advice is just ignore them, they're just bored with their existence and need something in their lives to prop up their own personal mysery, even if it is something or someone fictional.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
If anyone did say those types of things my mind auto-ignored those comments. I mean... every single playable character in the Remakes is a knockout.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
My blood pressure spiked reading that first page full of people dismissing this being a thing that happened when it was all over the place, including on this very forum!

Thank christ people came in and started setting people straight, tho still seems to be a lot of dismissal going on.

You can not have been around or be forgetful, but don't try to tell people they're crazy and are blowing things out of proportion.

There's posts accusing the OP of trying to cause false outrage, OH MY FUCKING GOD.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They look great but I still think the Claire model looks weird from certain angles. It probably is simply my own preferences; for example I definitely feel that I have a good side and bad side of my face.

Oct 27, 2017
People wanted Jill to look like REmake Julia Voth and that's where a lot of her backlash came from IIRC. People also complained about how Revelations Jill looked completely different too *shrugs*

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Idk why people were made. Sure Jill doesn't have her skirt and tube top anymore but the game still goes out if its way to put her ass into the frame and even throw in some fetish stuff like the Draining Deimos.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
My only complaint about Claire is her noir outfit is too goddamn cute and I have a hard time going back to the default look.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like any of the newer RE engine character designs but I wouldn't call them ugly either.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Who are these crazy people? Capcom did great selecting the models for Claire and Jill (and Trish and Lady and gadget lady). They are friggin gorgeous people.
I think this shift to using real faces by some devs is a great decision because using SE as an example their faces tend to look samey /have the same features, and you can only remember them by their hairstyles and outfits.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Looking through the reaction thread on this board I can't imagine anybody on this site with a passing interest in the remakes didn't see the nontrivial number of posts unhappy with her appearance, from deviating from whatever they thought of from the older games was a preferable outfit or haircut to just outright calling her ugly. And no shortage of 'oh great now she's just modern Lara Croft' and 'she looks too generic' whining. A sampling:

Not a fan and I hope you can unlock her original outfit in this likely not

I think Claire in RE2 remake looked really good in comparison

Doesn't matter to me, I'm using the original outfit.

Meh. She looks like a rejected modern Lara Croft design for a Tomb Raider reboot

Too masculine for my taste.

Crap. Clothes and face. Carlos is even worse though, they've literally slaughtered him. Good thing they have the classic costumes as an alternative.

That's just from skimming the first four pages. No duplicate posters involved. Maybe we can let the 'just a tiny minority/I never saw it' narrative die for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.