• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
headercopy17dup.png

The World Lives or Dies Here...This is it.

Please mark spoilers for each of the 3 games!
Platform: PC, PS4, XB1 and Switch
Release Date: July 26th, 2018
Summer 2018 (Physical Switch)​
Genre: Strategy RPG
Price: $25 USD (The Banner Saga 3)
$40 USD (The Banner Saga Trilogy - Physical XB1/PS4)
$50 USD (The Banner Saga Trilogy - Physical Switch)​
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital/Physical
Developer: Stoic Games
Publisher: Versus Evil
Physical Publisher XB1/PS4: 505 Games
Physical Publisher Switch: Gearbox Publishing​
Size: PC-4GB

faqw0fog.png

What is the Banner Saga?
The Banner Saga is an acclaimed strategy RPG series that consists of three games that tell a sequential story where your choices, characters and stats follow you from title to title.

How does the game play?
  • Traversal and management - A significant part of the Banner Saga narrative revolves around trying to reach a destination. You do this by, automatically, moving towards that place and in doing so you will use supplies. The main currency in the Banner Saga is 'Renown' which you gain through fighting battles. When you have made camp or are visiting a town you will be able to spend that renown on upgrading your units or buying supplies for your caravan.
  • Conversations - The Banner Saga allows your protagonist to have an impact on the story by making decision throughout their journey. Some of these will be situations you encounter on the road with simple text prompts while others will feature character portraits but both can have significant consequences in terms of your supplies and party members.
  • Combat - In a system that is slower than Fire Emblem but still faster than Final Fantasy Tactics you will command a set number of characters in turned based battles.
How long are the games?
In speaking to the length of the already released titles the games are 10-12 hours long each.

Are the games hard?
The games have multiple difficulty options that you can use to lower the stats of opponents you face but, personally speaking, I don't find the games impossibly difficult on the standard option. Aside from the, now patched, final boss in the original game the only fights I had trouble with were optional objectives/fights.

Do the games have PS4 Pro and Xbox One X enhancements?
Not at the moment.

Is there permadeath?
As a part of gameplay? No. Characters who fall in battle will be able to be used in following missions but in a 'wounded' state with lesser stats until you make camp and rest for the specified number of days. Characters can be killed as part of the story though. Be that major narrative events or through your choices.

I fell off the first game at the final boss. Was that fight ever patched?
Yes. The fight against the final boss in the original Banner Saga was patched after the release of the second game to be far less random to give players a better chance of winning.

I found the encounters in the original game to be a bit dry. Has that changed with the sequels?
Yes. Following the release of the first Banner Saga there was an effort by Stoic to upgrade their tools to allow for more interesting encounters in TBS2 (be that mission scenarios or more varied party skills). This appears to have expended even more with the Banner Saga 3.

I've played Banner Saga 1 and 2 but need a refresher on the those games before I play the third.
Stoic has released refresher videos on their Youtube channel. Here they are in one playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA-jTk_6NAwuT-41w30edgXy82mgAyGq9

What is in the Trilogy set (XB1/PS4)?
  • The Banner Saga 1
  • The Banner Saga 2
  • The Banner Saga 3
  • CD "Best of" Soundtrack consisting of tracks from the 3 games.
  • Mini Art Book
  • Collectible Poster
  • Horn of Lichbaen In-Game Item
Why is the Nintendo Switch physical release coming later than the other platforms?
The Nintendo Switch release was a latter decision that is coming from a different publisher hence the later release date.

Do we know if all the games are on the cart for the Switch release?
TBA. Initial box art shows a white download bar but Stoic's Twitter said the plan was for all the games to be on the cartridge.

Do my digital saves of TBS1 or TBS2 work with the physical trilogy?
Yes. As long as it is on the same platform.

mediacopyale1w.png
ss_c075c498d0c9879874dcf175243d74db6c4b22ea.1920x1080.jpg
ss_8168971ccbea47abf888727b92a162f947ceed85.1920x1080.jpg

ss_dcc7d0d46646c7e8c950be662433f2a3c81e57b1.1920x1080.jpg
ss_44005485e5bfed174385ae56e9d70b393a067343.1920x1080.jpg

reviewsrwce5.png

The Banner Saga: Opencritic: 80 | Metacritic: 80
The Banner Saga 2: Opencritic: 83 | Metacritic: 82
The Banner Saga 3: Opencritic: 85 | Metacritic: 84

The Banner Saga 3 Review Excerpts:

Gamespot 8/10
As things come down to the wire the two separate groups become more and more interconnected, the consequences of one group's choices directly affecting the potential of the other. This exemplifies the best part about The Banner Saga 3: the feeling that every action you've made in regards to your clan for three games--the friends you've kept and lost, the decisions you've made, and the battles you've picked--will likely influence how well this finale is going to fare. The Banner Saga 3 won't have the same kind of meaningful impact if you haven't experienced the rest of the series. But if you've taken the time to journey with these characters from the very beginning, this finale is a worthwhile and cathartic end to your long journey.

PCGamer 90/100
Though it refuses to pull its punches throughout—landing a few right at the death—this is a shorter conclusion than you might expect, lacking some of the range of its sprawling predecessor. And it's true that there's perhaps not quite enough visible evidence of Arberrang's deterioration, even with the sound and music team doing their best to amplify the turmoil. But with the world falling apart, it makes perfect sense to zoom in on its people—and their wildly different responses to their extraordinary predicament make for enthralling, wrenching drama. The result is a thrilling and affecting finale that closes the book on a bleak but riveting journey in fine style. It is, in short, the ending the saga deserves.

DualShockers 9/10
Like closing the final chapter on a thousand-page-long fantasy novel, The Banner Saga 3 delivers a dark and thrilling conclusion to remember. Though at times it might prove to be a bit more of a challenge than some might expect, The Banner Saga 3 is the culmination of Stoic Studio's four-year-long journey through a tense and memorable world that's entirely worth seeing through to the end. While I'm sad to see The Banner Saga series come to a close with its third and final act, The Banner Saga 3 finishes it all in a brutal and brilliant fashion. The story may be over, but The Banner Saga's world is one that I will surely yearn to come back to.

links22eo4.png
Steam
Xbox One
PS4
Switch

Last edited:

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very excited to jump into 3 tomorrow. The first two games are great and I can't wait to see how this story ends.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
I'll need to replay the first two. I might make a different decision for that one key choice at the end of Banner Saga 1.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a short story (set during the time of The Banner Saga 3 - so Spoiler Warning) released in the lead up to TBS3 launching tomorrow. The story deals with the status of The Strand, the first city in the game and the setting for the The Gift of Hadrborg prequel book.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only played the first one and liked it well enough.
I will probably play 2 and 3 at some point,unless 3 is a huge disappointment.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for this all month. Not sure if I'll be able to start it tonight, but I'll definitely be playing it over the weekend.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Been looking out for this OT the last couple of days! Good job!

Played the first one at release on PC, but only got round to playing 2 earlier this year. They really are fantastic games - the world building, story and writing are top notch, and the art style and direction are lush.

I found that the battles in 2 really increased the variety and complexity, and at times they play like a really great puzzle game. From the preview footage it looks like new character classes have only increased the variety - I'm really looking forward to finishing the journey.

Also, the soundtrack is awesome.
#teamrook

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I found that the battles in 2 really increased the variety and complexity, and at times they play like a really great puzzle game. From the preview footage it looks like new character classes have only increased the variety - I'm really looking forward to finishing the journey.

Yeah, got a chance to talk to one of the designers this year and he mentioned that a big thing for Stoic after the first game was upgrading their tools to be able to make more interesting encounters. Sounds like that will continue even more with the third game.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First one really outstayed it's welcome for me.

Do the sequels change up to combat in any meaningful ways, or is it more of the same?

Nov 8, 2017
I'm one of those suckers who waited for the Vita version...and then they canned it. And I missed tons of sales on Steam/PS4 for 1&2.

And I'm getting a Switch on Friday.

SO, I'm like, yes, I want it. But I can't pay full price. I just can't.

But the game looks great and at SOME POINT I'm going to dive the heck in here.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Update on Kickstarter codes from the Banner Saga Discord.

Hey @here thanks for your patience while we get everyone's keys ready to go!

1. If you backed the Kickstarter for Banner Saga 3

a. Your game keys are being activated on PledgeManager now and you should receive an email about having a new code available.

b. You can put them into Steam but the game will not pre-load. It will become available for download at launch tomorrow, around 10 AM PST.

c. If you do not receive an email, it could be that you have unsubbed from PM emails or they're being spammed. Regardless, go to your PM checkout page and they will be there, in Claim My Codes. Click it!

2. If you backed the Kickstarter for Banner Saga 1 for $50 or more:

a. We are currently uploading your Banner Saga 3 keys into PledgeManager. After that you'll be sent an invitation to join PledgeManager if you aren't already a member.

b. You'll be asked to choose your platform (Steam or GoG).

c. You'll be given the opportunity to upgrade your key to the Deluxe or War Chest version to receive more digital rewards if you like.

d. Then you'll confirm and lock your order (and pay your balance if you upgraded).

e. Once locked, the Checkout Page will have your key code in "Claim My Codes". Click it!

f. You can put them into Steam but the game will not pre-load. It will become available for download at launch tomorrow, around 10 AM PST.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
There's a third one?

Sheesh. I still need to get around to finishing the first.

It's weird, I really should like these games but I can never stick with them.

At least part of that is because their bizarre turn system can fuck right off and die in a ditch.

Brerlappin

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely buying this, but, Banner Saga is a game best played in Winter. I just can't play it withe sun beaming in the window

Ventara

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I got the PS4 trilogy at a bit of a discount, but I really would like to play it on Switch. The potential download required and $10 premium isn't making it easier, though.

Do the first 2 games run well on the Switch? Edit: Undocked

Last edited:

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I backed this on Kickstarter. Completely forgot it was coming out. I have to replay the second game. The story got somewhat convoluted in the middle.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If im remember right, did they changes things up in the first game after the second game released to match it with new gameplay elements?? I heard they will upgrade the two first games with some of the new things they changes in the third game, i might wait on replaying the first two games if that's the case

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the first in June 2015, but didn't get around to playing it til last month, played 1 & 2 back to back, glad I went through the 1st 2 completely blind, I'm sure there's a lot of better choices I could've made (I did reload/savescum a lot though for battles), very interested to see how the story ends before I go back and try for "perfect" runs.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
If im remember right, did they changes things up in the first game after the second game released to match it with new gameplay elements?? I heard they will upgrade the two first games with some of the new things they changes in the third game, i might wait on replaying the first two games if that's the case

Yes, the first game had some of its mechanics updated, such as needing to make camp for fallen allies to recover rather than waiting it out while travelling, to bring it in line with the second game.

More quality of life changes than a massive restructuring.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
First one really outstayed it's welcome for me.

Do the sequels change up to combat in any meaningful ways, or is it more of the same?

I think they identified that the battles in the first game could get a bit samey and 2 definitely fixes this - there are new classes and races that can join your team and several new enemy types that mix it up as the story progresses.

It's weird, I really should like these games but I can never stick with them.

At least part of that is because their bizarre turn system can fuck right off and die in a ditch.

I think I played the first one not really paying too much attention to the turn system and just brute forcing it through, but when I played 2 recently it really clicked for me.

It plays almost more like a puzzle game and as I began to build my characters it became really satisfying to combo their abilities effectively.

I think it helps that in 2 there are several combat challenges you can work through when you're camped. Not sure if anything like this has been added to the first game for the trilogy release?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Switch trilogy situation is unfortunate. I already own the first one on PC so I am not very eager to rebuy it on Switch. I would have bought the retail trilogy at launch but now it might not even have all of the games on the cartridge. Guess I'm just going to wait it out.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed 1, wanted to hop on 2 but my PS4 died with the saves, might pick up the Trilogy on Switch if it runs well.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, the first game had some of its mechanics updated, such as needing to make camp for fallen allies to recover rather than waiting it out while travelling, to bring it in line with the second game.

More quality of life changes than a massive restructuring.
do you remember when they were implemented?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I backed this and am now torn between just playing it on the PC or buying the trilogy all over again on Switch. How do the Switch versions run?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
KS codes should be up in pledge manager for folk now. Just redeemed the OST for the third game.

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I kickstarted the first game back in the day. Game was beautiful and fun at first, but I could never bring myself to finish it. Shame, too, because SRPGs are my favorite subgenre. Maybe it's time to give it another try.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Very hyped for the 3rd game. Love the story and world building. The game has a fantastic sense of dread and sadness.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews rolling out now. Added to the OP.

Via Opencritic

PlayStation Universe
9.0 / 10.0

DualShockers
9.0 / 10.0

PlayStation LifeStyle
9.0 / 10.0

GamingBolt
9.0 / 10.0

RPG Site
9 / 10

PC Gamer