• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut lands on Xbox Game Pass, the PlayStation Store, and digital PC stores for Windows, Mac, and Linux on August 27, with retail copies for PlayStation®4 and Xbox One family of devices including the Xbox One X arriving September 6.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Great that we've finally got a date. Really looking forward to jumping back into this with all the improvements.

EDIT: Info for those who already own it -

If you already own the game on PC when the Director's Cut arrives, you'll receive the update for free with the game's release on August 27, and it will show up as a new product in your games library listed as The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut.

For the digital Director's Cut we're making the choice for new purchasers much clearer with new Standard and Deluxe Edition. Because the Director's Cut is a free upgrade for current owners, anyone who owns the base game will receive the Director's Cut Standard, and those who own a current license for the Premium, Platinum, or Ultimate versions will be granted the Deluxe Edition. For our backers who may have retrieved digital rewards through CrowdOx before, you will be receiving The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Deluxe Edition and all your digital items will now be tied to your Steam/GOG accounts.

PC Digital Standard Edition - $34.99

7gEnmpZ.png

• The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut
  • Digital Code Wheel
  • Digital Guidebook
  • Digital Manual
  • In-game items:
    • Fire Horn

PC Deluxe Edition - $49.99

qcUWjGk.png

• The Bard's Tale Trilogy
  • Hi-res Map
  • Hi-res Wallpaper
  • Digital Code Wheel
  • Digital Guidebook
  • Digital Manual
  • Digital Novellas
  • Digital Art Book
  • Digital Songbook
  • Digital Soundtrack
  • In-game items:
    • Fire Horn
    • Kael's Axe Puzzle Weapon
    • Red Boots
    • Bardic Brian Skin and Booty

Digital Xbox One and PlayStation 4 - $39.99

• In-game items:
    • Fire Horn
yemllu2.jpg

For those of you who have expressed interest in physical Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions, they'll be arriving just one week later on September 6 in a limited Day One Edition. For those of you who wanted a physical copy of the game, but didn't back at that level during the Kickstarter, this is your shot.

Retail Day One Edition Xbox One and PlayStation 4 - $39.99

• Physical map
  • In-game items:
    • Fire Horn
    • Kael's Axe Puzzle Weapon
    • Red Boots
    • Bardic Brian Skin and Booty

Last edited:

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Oh wow, earlier than I expected. Glad to finally play this one, I backed the KS but I rarely play stuff on the PC these days.

I'd love to see the classic trilogy come to consoles too, but that might be a bit tough control-wise.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
I was skimming the trailer so I may have missed it, is there an actual explanation of the improvements/additions to this version vs. what I already played on Steam?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
The one in Deva Fortress? It was indeed kinda stupid.

No the one in the next region...the flloor tiles open and close very fast and there is a lot of them...I think I read that there"s boots that slow time that would be pretty helpful for that but I dont have them yet and cant find them.If you fall to the lower floor,you lose a bit of health each time and have to go back up to try again...I just gave up.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The original release was a real diamond in the rough so I'll definitely give this version a try, hoping for the best.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Great! Definitely gonna try this out. Operencia wasn't exactly my cup of tea (especially when starting the Copper Forest) so hopefully this one feels a bit more up my alley :D

Oct 27, 2017
Great stuff, I've been holding off picking this up for the console port so I'll definitely be there for that Day One Edition.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
No the one in the next region...the flloor tiles open and close very fast and there is a lot of them...I think I read that there"s boots that slow time that would be pretty helpful for that but I dont have them yet and cant find them.If you fall to the lower floor,you lose a bit of health each time and have to go back up to try again...I just gave up.
Oh, those are actually a couple levels past Deva in
Deep in the Copper Forest,
they're in
the underground section, at the end of the right path
, in case you ever want to go back to it..

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Is this a standalone story or should you play the old bards games? Never played any of them

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass? That's awesome. Will jump in for sure, I loved the original Bard's Tale 2 on the Amiga, drew maps on checkered paper and all that craziness.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I love the aesthetics of this game, the celtic music and western fantasy but not generic and rather vibrant and tactical turn based combat with dungeon crawling. Most excited I've been in a western fantasy RPG in a long time, to be honest.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Oh, those are actually a couple levels past Deva in
Deep in the Copper Forest,
they're in
the underground section, at the end of the right path
, in case you ever want to go back to it..

I can not go there yet...the place I am talking about is Balvanylos or something like that...I tried again until everyone died,got to the second safefloor tile that does not open but could not reach the next one to clear that part,hopefully with a save/rest place nor far after.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So how is the game nowadays? I heard good things about the post-launch support.

I'm interested in getting the vanilla version now so I can get the free upgrade. But I won't start playing until August, gotta wait for that controller support.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Sooner than expected! You can jump into this without having played the original trilogy that has been remastered on PC, right?

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
This just showed up in my games library list on Steam as "Coming Soon". I've never seen something appear in there so early before.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the original after the last big update and outside of the amazing music and puzzles most of the game was subpar.

Just as an example, in the first area a couple of npcs give you a quest. Didn't hear another word about it till near the end of the game when I had quest accomplished pop up after a seemingly random battle with no other explanation of what had happened other than a blurb in the quest log. I felt that was indicative of the overall quality of the game at that point. Rushed, rough, oddly balanced and barely complete.

Really hoping they fixed these thing with the dc. Particularly the game balance. The combat being overly easy paired with an overabundance of enemy encounters towards the end of the game was what finally got me to stop playing.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
How are these games? I've only ever played the one with Cary Elwes and Tony Jay, but really enjoyed that one.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I bought this at launch, played 2 hours and was pretty meh on the whole thing. I'll definitely give it another spin on PC once the DC is out :)

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I can not go there yet...the place I am talking about is Balvanylos or something like that...I tried again until everyone died,got to the second safefloor tile that does not open but could not reach the next one to clear that part,hopefully with a save/rest place nor far after.
You can't do the collapsing floor in Balvanyos the first time you're there, you can return once you gain the required ability (boots).

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im i living under a rock if i didn't know that the original release was already out?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Steam: "This game will unlock in approximately 11 hours"

(Honestly, I think that The Trilogy might be a better package overall.)

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded it via PC Gamepass and while it loads it won't run. Gives an error about an improper dev environment.