BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
That's way more somber than the trailers have conveyed and I love it. When the strings come in, Lawd.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
It's good in the beginning but really trails off and doesn't come "back" with a bang which is what I was expecting. I need to listen to it several more times to get a sense of what I think.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
Theme is amazing! More awesome news, apparently the movie is basically confirmed to be 2 hours 55 minutes long!

Maybe WB has finally learned not to force their directors to butcher their films to get a 2 hour runtime.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
That's way more up beat than I was expecting, then a weird tonal shift halfway.

I dig the bells though, makes me think of him crouched on a gargoyle. Idk why I associate big bells with gargoyles.

I personally would have preferred an expansion on the last half where the build up leads to a melodic theme with the same gothic tone.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Great piece of music but not one that I think will have lasting power

It's a bold piece with zero hook, no real concrete leitmotif.

Reminds me a lot of the approach Zimmer and JNH took post BB.

Begins had a set up for a specific theme with a memorable and identifiable hook and leitmotif and they abandoned it for general mood soundscape instead ... makes for great scores but not great iconic themes

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely getting some major BTAS vibes with the bells and lighter start. Not necessarily a catchy theme necessarily but probably fits in the movie well enough. Maybe if they expand the last minute or so out into something more you'd have a more identifiable theme going on.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017

Begins had a set up for a specific theme with a memorable and identifiable hook and leitmotif and they abandoned it for general mood soundscape instead ... makes for great scores but not great iconic themes
Very well said. This is how I've felt about superhero music for quite a while now: it's great for ambience but not memorable like they used to be.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds less like an actual bespoke theme written to capture a character and more like someone riffing on top of a chord progression. Sounds like it was written on a guitar.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
batman-thunder.gif

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we'll have to see how it fits into the movie. As an individual piece of music I like it.

The funny thing is in TDK Zimmer and JNH do build up on Molossus from BB with Like A Dog Chasing Cars. It's almost like fully realized version of their theme for a more experienced/mature Batman. Too bad it only features in one scene, but it is used during his most "heroic" moment.

www.youtube.com

Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - Like A Dog Chasing Cars (Official Audio)

You're listening to the official audio for Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - "Like A Dog Chasing Cars" from the album 'The Dark Knight (Original Motion Pic...

Although I I think the "Nolan Batman" theme is all over the soundtracks and easily identifiable with those movies.

www.youtube.com

Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight OST - A Dark Knight - HD

Last track of "The Dark Knight" score. Music by Hans Zimmer and characters by Bob Kane.

But it is more of a mood piece than a few hummable notes.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot going on in that theme. From brooding and dark to uplifting in short order. If I had a guess the individual parts of the theme will be used for scenes they best fit or enhance. The part that sounds like Chopin could easily be overlaid on those nighttime rooftop scenes where Bats crouches beside a gargoyle while the lighter parts could be for the scene where Bats finally makes a big move or drastic action but pulls it off.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we'll have to see how it fits into the movie. As an individual piece of music I like it.

The funny thing is in TDK Zimmer and JNH do build up on Molossus from BB with Like A Dog Chasing Cars. It's almost like fully realized version of their theme for a more experienced/mature Batman. Too bad it only features in one scene, but it is used during his most "heroic" moment.

That's not the theme I meant.

It's part of it but...

There's this march beat that plays mostly at the end of the credits, it's a total hooky piece that would have given the Nolan series a signature identifiable leitmotif and that when you mix all the other motifs you got this a complete theme:

And this never came back, especially the march leitmotif, which I swore I heard an echo of when Bruce climbs out of the pit in TDKR but could never confirm

Super weird.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's not the theme I meant.

It's part of it but...

There's this march beat that plays mostly at the end of the credits, it's a total hooky piece that would have given the Nolan series a signature identifiable leitmotif and that when you mix all the other motifs you got this a complete theme:

And this never came back, especially the march leitmotif, which I swore I heard an echo of when Bruce climbs out of the pit in TDKR but could never confirm

Super weird.

Oh this. It sounds like a semi-deconstruction of the main passage that plays in Molossus, which plays immediately after hah.

Zimmer's Batman theme is really those two repeating notes anyway.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oh this. It sounds like a semi-deconstruction of the main passage that plays in Molossus, which plays immediately after hah.

Zimmer's Batman theme is really those two repeating notes anyway.

Yeah it's Molossus with a march mixed in... the march I swear must only be over the literal last few minutes of the credits and nowhere else in the movie since I think I'm the only one who was convinced this was the new Batman theme lol... because it should have been. That march is excellent and heroic and it never came back wtf

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
This is still the best superhero theme in the last few years (boring movie aside)

The batman theme is alright.. Does not sound as cohesive as I would like.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's Molossus with a march mixed in... the march I swear must only be over the literal last few minutes of the credits and nowhere else in the movie since I think I'm the only one who was convinced this was the new Batman theme lol... because it should have been. That march is excellent and heroic and it never came back wtf

Hmm as far as sounding heroic goes I do prefer the bit starting at around 2:10

youtu.be

Hans Zimmer - Like A Dog Chasing Cars

Musique du film Batman "The Dark knight"

All three are vibing on a similar wavelength tbh.

This is still the best superhero theme in the last few years (boring movie aside)

Definitely.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm as far as sounding heroic goes I do prefer the bit starting at around 2:10

I like the whole piece.

I just especially love the march part.

It all adds up to something iconic and it wasn't meant to be... but also it probably didn't have room. The Nolan trilogy wasn't built for a main theme the way Burton Batman was

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Alright. Listened to it and have some thoughts.

I think the second part of the theme we have heard a lot in the trailers, it works really well in those. The first part is new though, it is somber, yet hopeful. It is a very nice sounding part.

My only issue I have with this is that this theme song doesn't feel like one song with a proper transition, rather than two tracks stitched together. I am not a music critic, but as an individual piece I'd knock it for that, but in terms of using this in the movie, it will for sure play a lot better there.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn what a theme. I think this tops Elfman for me.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing is for sure, Batman as a character probably has had more great, unique themes than any other superhero. Elfman's, Walker's, Bale-man didn't really have a theme (although to me it is Molossus) but still had some good music, this one, hell I think one of the very best ones is his theme from the animated Dark Knight Returns by Christopher Drake. That one jacks me up.

youtu.be

The Dark Knight Triumphant/ End titles - The Dark Knight Returns OST - Christopher Drake

All credit goes to Christopher Drake for this amazing OST

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's dope, and the beginning and middle is pretty different from what I expected.

Oct 27, 2017
One thing is for sure, Batman as a character probably has had more great, unique themes than any other superhero. Elfman's, Walker's, Bale-man didn't really have a theme (although to me it is Molossus) but still had some good music, this one, hell I think one of the very best ones is his theme from the animated Dark Knight Returns by Christopher Drake. That one jacks me up.

youtu.be

The Dark Knight Triumphant/ End titles - The Dark Knight Returns OST - Christopher Drake

All credit goes to Christopher Drake for this amazing OST

Composers generally bring their A game for Batman

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The soft opening makes me think we might finally get to see how Bruce's parents died this time.

The way it has two distinct halves reminds me of November Rain lol

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I find Michael Giacchino's themes to be hit and miss, and this is a miss for me. I felt the same about his Spider-Man theme.

It might just be me having high expectations - he did compose The Incredibles and Medal of Honor Frontline. I liked some of his themes in superhero movies - his Doctor Strange theme and his theme for Mysterio - but I find a lot of it dull.