RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
182l85bjt44dajpg.jpg

Sup, Era! Your friendly neighborhood Ryouga here.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the PS2 recently, especially how gnarly that library of games really was. Just coming at it from a western perspective, it almost feels like there was an endless amount of crazy cool titles. Everything from the AAA blockbusters, to the more niche Japanese RPGs. The generation produced what can only be described as a legit treasure trove of mainstream and hidden classics, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Recently I've gone back to the library, primarily to look at the games that never got the chance to leave Japan, but were no doubt just as interesting and cool as the titles that did get localized.

Of course I'm not just talking about the more obvious games like Super Robot Wars OG or Tales of Destiny DC, but also the ones I personally have no knowledge of.

So I guess the point of this thread is for Import-Era to chime in with their favorite Japanese PS2 games that never got official releases in the west. Who knows what sort of buried treasure might pop up!

Grant me your knowledge so that I might absorb it for my own personal gratification! Buahahaha!

I guess I'll start things off with my own pick, though it's not that unknown.

fm5.jpg

Good 'ol Front Mission 5, the final numbered title in Square Enix's mech SRPG series. It's an incredibly gorgeous game just in terms of details and scope, and I honestly think it's one of the company's absolute best releases of the last few decades. It's a complete shame this series never reached the popularity it deserved, because mech fans would have eaten this game up like the fine delight it was and still is. There is a fan translation for it, but I have admittedly never checked it out, so I can't speak for its quality.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Abarenbo Princess will get its fan translation one day! :(

FM5's definitely a great one. That whole series continue to fly under most players' radar despite the pedigree of its publisher.

OP
OP
RyougaSaotome

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard of Abarenbo Princess, but a quick Youtube search for a trailer tells me that it looks quirky as fuck in the best of ways.

I am so down to track down a copy of this.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
Dance Summit 2001 is a fun Japan-only music game, sequel to the Bust a Groove series on PS1.

I also like Chain Dive, a 2D platformer-brawler hybrid.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Cool Cool Toon on the Dreamcast by SNK. Would love to link to videos and pictures but am on mobile and busy.

okita

Oct 25, 2017
The 2D Tales games that never came overseas (Tales of Destiny 2 / Tales of Rebirth / Tales of Destiny Remake Director's Cut)

Oct 27, 2017
Dance Summit 2001 is a fun Japan-only music game, sequel to the Bust a Groove series on PS1.

I also like Chain Dive, a 2D platformer-brawler hybrid.

So looks like I have nothing to add here!

You have indeed done a great service for your kind! I thank you!

Both of those games are amazing and Chain Dive has a soundtrack that needs to be heard by every human ever!

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
So looks like I have nothing to add here!

You have indeed done a great service for your kind! I thank you!

Both of those games are amazing and Chain Dive has a soundtrack that needs to be heard by every human ever!

You're welcome.

I also recommend Poinie's Poin: Sweet Treat. It's a 3D platformer released only in Japan, but oddly enough, both the text and the in-game voices default to English. The dub is...very risque, especially for game that looks like it does.

Then there's IQ REMIX, a PS2 entry in the Intelligent Qube series. The gameplay is the same, but there's a lot of dazzling visual effects and distortions going on all the time.

Otostaz is like Minecraft meets Tetris. You help these two little papercraft critters place water, forest, and land tiles on a grid, and that creates towns and cities. The game is playable without knowing Japanese, but there is an English option available in the options.

Mawaza is a Japanese puzzle game where you draw polygons and smash them into one another. I highly recommend this one, too.

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
My daughter is really into Masaya Matsuura's games Parappa 1 & 2, Um Jammer Lammy and Vib Ribbon right now. I went looking for more and discovered Vib Ripple and Mojib-Ribbon were japan exclusive for the PS2 so I ordered them on Ebay tonight. Luckily we have Pop'n 12 and 14 to tide us over until they arrive. We've been waiting to play Beatmania IIDX 16 Empress + Permium Best until our second controller arrives so we can play it 2 player.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
50520-dodonpachi-dai-ou-jou-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Especially love Espgaluda, I think it might be one of the most mechanically brilliant shmups I've ever come across.