• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
User Warned: repeatedly creating low quality threads despite being warned
https://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-best-video-games-of-2018/

1. God of War
  2. RDR II
  3. Spider-Man
  4. Celeste
  5. Pokemon Let's Go
  6. Tetris Effect
  7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  8. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
  9. Dead Cells
  10. Donut County
  11. Astro Bot
  12. Hollow Knight

Honorable Mentions:

13. Destiny 2: Forsaken
14. Detroit Become Human
15. Florence
16. Forza Horizon 4
17. Octopath Traveler
18. Overcooked 2
19. Return of the Obra Dinn
20. Shenmue
21. Warioware Gold

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Tetris Effect being on the list makes me very happy but I'm not sure I would have put Pokemon Let's Go above both it and Smash?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Idk if a thread for every one of these is needed, there's gonna be like 200+ lists over the next few weeks, and I feel like we've already seen a lot of threads lol. We had a pretty big aggregate one last year, I found that worked

That said, predictable top two. Surprised at Let's Go's high placement though

OP
OP
patapon

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Idk if a thread for every one of these is needed, there's gonna be like 200+ lists over the next few weeks, and I feel like we've already seen a lot of threads lol.

According to mods, small websites rankings will be posted in the aggregate thread, but big sites can get their own threads.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Idk if a thread for every one of these is needed, there's gonna be like 200+ lists over the next few weeks, and I feel like we've already seen a lot of threads lol. We had a pretty big aggregate one last year, I found that worked

Is there one with all GOTY?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

After the mods noticed the high amount of threads they decided to only keep those from big publications open.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Cool to see Donut County getting more love being in the top 10. That's just a good chill little game that achieves everything it's going for in a low-key way.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games don't appear to be in any numbered order like the OP suggests. The guy who wrote the blurb for Astro Bot said it was his game of the year.

yeah the Celeste blurb also says something to that effect

The pandering, demeaning question has long since been settled. "Are video games art?" In 2018, most of us agree they are. Like painting, music or filmmaking, games are a medium of expression -- and that medium can be used to express something as simple as the joy of swinging through the streets of Manhattan as Spider-Man, to a person's complex inner struggle with depression, anxiety and self-acceptance. That second example is Celeste, a challenging indie platformer by Matt Makes Games. And it's my favorite game of 2018.

the OP should probably be updated

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

OP
OP
patapon

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
The games don't appear to be in any numbered order like the OP suggests. The guy who wrote the blurb for Astro Bot said it was his game of the year.

In the end, we polled Dan Ackerman, Jeff Bakalar, Sean Buckley, Ashley Esqueda, Eric Franklin, David Katzmaier, Sean Keane, Morgan Little, Mark Serrels and Scott Stein and had them choose up to 10 of their favorite 2018 titles. The choices were awarded points -- 10 for the top choice, 9 for the second and so on -- and the winners have been duly compiled.

We ended up with 12 "best of the best," but there were just too many favorites left on the cutting room floor. So we've included a list of honorable mentions, too -- personal picks from each judge.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/the-best-games-of-2018/

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I genuinely feel bad for Forza Horizon 4, it's such a better game than Spider-Man IMO. no problem with the top two choices though.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
OP, read my comment

I don't think this counts for gotypicks

Can't see them last year

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4 PS4 Exclusives on the list and an another one in honorable mentions.

This is going to be tough year for Sony to follow up in 2019.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Man... it's going to be a cold season for Battletech.

I think it'll do well at Waypoint, but i suspectthat it'll have been forgotten by most of the others.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's a really good list. Cool to see D2 Forsaken on there, I think it's the only iteration of Destiny besides maybe Taken King that really deserves a spot on a list like this. Revitalized the game in many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.