• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
"We've seen some things I did not think were possible."
Link to full interview: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...onald-on-power-price-and-that-new-boot-screen

Some snippets:
You have talked about obviously more powerful visuals for games, ray tracing, virtually instant loading. But does the Xbox Series X enable any sort of gameplay innovations we haven't seen before or are not possible on any other platforms?

Jason Ronald:
The answer is kind of yes across the board. Obviously, with all the advances we have in GPU power and GPU efficiency, not only is it the raw power, but it's also the innovations on top of that, things like ray tracing for better lighting, better reflections, higher quality shadows, as well as more immersive audio experiences. You also have things like variable rate shading. Beyond the raw power we're delivering, we're giving developers a lot of tools to be that much more efficient in how they use the power we're giving them
Microsoft has talked about the framerates Series X will enable. But are you saying the Xbox Series X effectively ends sub 60 frames per second games, either from Xbox itself or from third parties?

Jason Ronald:
I wouldn't say it ends it, but now the creative control is in the developers' hands. Ultimately, we view resolution and framerate as a creative decision. Sometimes, from a pure gameplay aspect, 30 is the right creative decision they can make. But in previous generations, sometimes you had to sacrifice framerate for resolution. With this next generation, now it's completely within the developers' control. And even if you're building a competitive game, or an esports game, or a twitch fighter or first-person shooter, 60 frames is not the ceiling anymore. As we've seen on PC and other ecosystems, ultra high framerates and ultra low latency input, that is the precision they prefer to prioritise. So we've designed the system to put that creative control in developers hands.
Everything you've talked about makes the Xbox Series X sound incredibly powerful for a console, but I wince when I think about how much it's going to cost. What should people expect?

Jason Ronald:
I think Phil [Spencer]'s been pretty transparent. We designed the system with a price point in mind. We're confident in the system we've designed, but at the same time, we're going to be agile on price.
From your perspective, how important is the teraflop debate, which I assume you're enjoying at the moment?

Jason Ronald:
To me, it's about the end-to-end performance of the system. It's not one aspect versus another. What was critically important to us was sustained levels of performance, unlike anything you've seen before. And we designed the system to be a well balanced system with no bottlenecks or no compromises in any area... whether it's the CPU performance or the GPU performance - we were at the upper bounds of what was capable with a traditional rotational drive, so we knew we had to invest in things like SSD level IO performance. We designed the Xbox velocity architecture to be the ultimate solution for asset streaming.

Oct 27, 2017
'Jason Ronald: I wouldn't say it ends it, but now the creative control is in the developers' hands. Ultimately, we view resolution and framerate as a creative decision. Sometimes, from a pure gameplay aspect, 30 is the right creative decision they can make'

Arrgg..

latest

Edit: Addition a couple days later. For clarification, I'm not against lower frame rates if the game is cpu bound from going much past 30 fps. But if it's not, there really should not be a reason to have a lower resolution higher frame rate option built in. Especially with games developed by larger studios. If you give me the option of 60 fps @1440p vs 30 fps @4k. I'm going to choose 1440p@60 probably 95% of the time unless the game is much slower pace. I do that now as I main PC and throw 1440p @120 on my on my monitor and tv.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
'Jason Ronald: I wouldn't say it ends it, but now the creative control is in the developers' hands. Ultimately, we view resolution and framerate as a creative decision. Sometimes, from a pure gameplay aspect, 30'

Arrgg..
Yep, can 30 fps die already... There's zero reason for triple a developers with the power of next gen consoles in hand to not hit 60 fps.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who just got the GPU and monitor that allows me to experience 120fps on games, I really hope XsX developers work towards really increasing the frame rate, as the 120fps on Battlefield V adds a lot to the overall immersion.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Developers will always - always - find new ways to push the envelope. If you think 30fps is dead, you haven't been playing games for very long.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
As someone who just got the GPU and monitor that allows me to experience 120fps on games, I really hope XsX developers work towards really increasing the frame rate, as the 120fps on Battlefield V adds a lot to the overall immersion.
Well we did get confirmation of a 120fps mode in Dirt, so that's a start.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft has talked about the framerates Series X will enable. But are you saying the Xbox Series X effectively ends sub 60 frames per second games, either from Xbox itself or from third parties?

Jason Ronald:
I wouldn't say it ends it, but now the creative control is in the developers' hands. Ultimately, we view resolution and framerate as a creative decision.

Good. If devs want to go crazy on per pixel quality at 30fps and/or a non-4K resolution, they should be able to. And I actually like to see those games, and what they can do with that longer frametime budget.

Oct 25, 2017
Developers will always - always - find new ways to push the envelope. If you think 30fps is dead, you haven't been playing games for very long.
Yep.

It is just a decision that needs to be made by the devs depending on their vision of the game. With the far better tech, it just becomes a more viable option but that doesn't guarantee 60fps across the board.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, can 30 fps die already... There's zero reason for triple a developers with the power of next gen consoles in hand to not hit 60 fps.

Errrr... yes there is.

They will want to put the best graphics they can. They will easily choose 30fps + better visuals tham 60fps + worst visuals.

And I am completely ok with that.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Honestly there's not much they can do to force developers hands when it comes to framerate, especially if Sony doensn't follow suit. What I hope for the most is that they add Certification requirements for not dropping below 30FPS during Gameplay and be scriter for that in their submission reports.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jason Ronald: I wouldn't say it ends it, but now the creative control is in the developers' hands. Ultimately, we view resolution and framerate as a creative decision. Sometimes, from a pure gameplay aspect, 30 is the right creative decision they can make'

Yes.

sounds-good-gif.gif

Lol.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Yeah, I don't know why this would surprise anyone. Sony and Microsoft are never going to mandate a minimum framerate.

It's up to the devs, and some devs will prioritize other graphical bells and whistles over 60fps. And in many cases, I'm sure that tradeoff will be just fine.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
While i hope more devs go for 60 im ok if devs go with 30 of its whats best for game.

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
I bought Pokemon Sword and Astral Chain recently. Pokemon is fine at 30 fps. But Astral Chain would be so smooth and nice at 60 fps. Basically there is a few games that can run ok at 30 fps, but everything real time action oriented needs 60 fps or more. Hopefully developers realize that, or gives the option at least.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Errrr... yes there is.

They will want to put the best graphics they can. They will easily choose 30fps + better visuals tham 60fps + worst visuals.

We've long since hit points of diminishing returns. Just look at PC games these days. They reduce a setting that makes the game look only marginally worse, and they get like a 15 fps increase.
Remember, these consoles are supposed to be better than 95% of the PCs out there right now. Which PC player do you know that limits themselves to 30 fps for slightly longer shadows?

I agree an argument can be made for ray tracing though.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
Didn't know The Medium will be a Series X exclusive, cool

It doesn't say that. It says features will be exclusive to the Xbox series X "generation", then later explains how the devs could only do this game on next gen hardware. I don't think he's saying it's an exclusive game. If it was an exclusive game they'd be pretty clear about it I think.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Medium is next gen only..? Well the GCI looked amazing of course but the gameplay they presented looked pretty mediocre even for this generation so that's... strange

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
It doesn't say that. It says features will be exclusive to the Xbox series X "generation", then later explains how the devs could only do this game on next gen hardware. I don't think he's saying it's an exclusive game. If it was an exclusive game they'd be pretty clear about it I think.
think they meant no cross-gen, as in they didn't know it wasn't releasing on the xbox one. But yeah, could go both ways

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
'Jason Ronald: I wouldn't say it ends it, but now the creative control is in the developers' hands. Ultimately, we view resolution and framerate as a creative decision. Sometimes, from a pure gameplay aspect, 30 is the right creative decision they can make'

Arrgg..

latest
I mean what did you expect? They're not gonna reject games during certification if they run below 60 fps

Oct 28, 2019

I think he does though, he says that "there will be titles that are unique or exclusive to the Xbox Series X generation. The Medium is a great example of that."

Dec 26, 2019
This FPS will hopefully end if variable refresh rates become commonplace and 40-50FPS can be used as a compromise. There are diminishing returns, 45 already feels much better than 30. 45 to 60 is less of a noticeable difference.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like they have a price in mind but ready to go lower depending on PS5's.
I wonder if they are initially targetting 599 considering a 399 Series S.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I feel all games should be 60 fps minimum. These consoles should be able to achieve 4k 60fps easily.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Arrgg..

latest

30 fps is never the right creative decision. Any other dev that thinks otherwise is free to come and fight me 1v1 outside on the streets with vegetable-based weapons of their choice.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
IF i dont get 60 fps options in games, im just going to build a gaming PC. Im so tired of this crap.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"We've seen some things I did not think were possible."

Even one tiny bit of this would've helped tremendously today...

I know today was just a teaser and 3rd-party stuff during a pandemic but man i can't stand hearing of great stuff to come out of MS mouth. It's all they're doing for years and Series X should've been the start of something way better.

I really, really hope they'll show something good in july.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Errrr... yes there is.

giphy.gif

Motion clarity is pure ass at 30 fps even at native 4k. It simply blurs all the detail, which destroys all the amazing visual detail.
Also with 120 hz panels being relateively common now on TV's and Dirt 5 supporting 120 fps mode (and presumably it wont be the only AAA game to do so), 30 fps is just gonna look even more fucking jarring.

This. Eye candy, please!

You must not have a lot of faith in the next gen consoles if you don't think they can't deliver insane eye candy at 60 fps..

30 fps is never the right creative decision. Any other dev that thinks otherwise is free to come and fight me 1v1 outside on the streets with vegetable-based weapons of their choice.

I'm glad Battlefield made the shift to 60 fps even if it wasn't always stable. It was absolutely the right thing to do especailly for that type of game.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I like how the interviewer casually mentions the Xbox series S full well knowing that they both know about it lol

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ask about gameplay innovations and he just rattles off a list of graphical features.

"Will there be gameplay innovations like we have not seen before?"
"Uhhhhhhh....ummmmmm....raytracing, shadows, reflections, variable rate shading!"

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tired of 30fps open world games on consoles, it's been 13 years and we have the fidelity to have great graphics and great frame rate...so use it devs

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
IF i dont get 60 fps options in games, im just going to build a gaming PC. Im so tired of this crap.
What's crazy is that these consoles are the apparent equivalent of 1000$ plus PCs.
Who builds a thousand dollar PC and then limits their games to 30 fps?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Forcing devs to hit certain framerate or res is dumb. Let them choose.

At the same time I don't want to play a game like Sekiro on 30fps with annoying input lag ever again.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
The 60fps dream is dead.
Ok that's dramatic but like Ive said before- if you give devs more power it seems like most will choose fancy graphics over framerate. I think next gen will have a LOT of game running at 30fps in order to use things like raytracing.
Best outcome is we start getting the option in more games to play at 60 with lesser graphics. Maybe 1st party will deliver more in 60fps but only time will tell.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But it isn't better visuals. That's the whole point. Unless you enjoy a blurring mess or play games with little movement.

But it is better visuals. Per object motion blur gives motion, even at 30fps, a perfectly playable and visually good looking presentation, whilst the halved resource demand vs 60fps also allows devs to push far better graphics, animations, more ambitious world scope, greater number and density of assets, foliage, NPC's, scale, draw distance and so on.

All they need to do is ensure a locked (or close to) 30fps with good frame pacing.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Forcing devs to hit certain framerate or res is dumb. Let them choose.

At the same time I don't want to play a game like Sekiro on 30fps with annoying input lag ever again.
Forcing is certainly stupid. I have no problem with the interview and the answer, it really is a creative decision.

All these people here clamoring for 30 fps make me confused though. Do they not want a better playing game?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Most important quote -

In other words, they're waiting on Sony to price the PS5 and will try and get as close as possible to that price.

Yeah, Ronald was mostly just echoing Spencer on this answer. I fully expect both consoles to be pretty much the same price, and Xbox are all but shouting it from the rooftops at this point.