• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
good read

I flew to Tokyo to meet with him and discuss it. In his office, he talked to me about the game for a bit, and showed me a table where he had an enormous Lego version of some of the game's environments, and how he used a tiny camera to move through the Lego tunnels to get a sense of the game's environments in 3D.

Back in Massachusetts, I was faced with the daunting task of translating Metal Gear Solid's huge script. The first thing that was obvious to me was the massive amount of research Kojima did before building this world. There was all this military tech throughout the game, including specific gun names and details about how U.S. nuclear weapons are locked down, background on the Cold War, Alaskan Native tribes, special ops, psy-ops, you name it. And these were things that I knew nothing about when I started work on the translation.

also this:
I was also smoking heavily like Snake, which is why lines like "you don't know how good a cigarette tastes in the morning" ended up in the American release, even though it wasn't based on text from the Japanese version of the game.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Great read. Even though I still liked most later Metal Gear games, there was something off about them without Blaustein's involvement in the later MGS games specifically.
I would say a lot of well-received japanese games would not be nearly as loved if it wasn't for people with similar philosophies to Blaustein. Another Metal Gear game (Rising) had some changes made in a similar vein, mostly in regards to Armstrong's dialogue I think, and I don't think he would be as memorable a villain if it wasn't for 8-4's work.
8-4's work on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is definitely the only other thing comparable in the franchise (I loved the final JFK/JD codec conversation in MGS2, yet have no idea how much of that was thanks to freedom with its localization), who were probably only free to take liberties as a result of it not being written by Kojima himself while he only produced as opposed to the same member of his staff at KojiPro who had written the cancelled MGS:R. I'm still glad that MGR got made and that it was Kojima himself who chose Platinum for it, but the rest of the series absolutely would've benefited from others having a say and him not going completely unfiltered.

Last edited:

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Jeremy is a huge inspiration. It's fucking bullshit that he wasn't recalled for the sequels, even if the prejudice against his (correct) philosophy was somewhat understandable.

The plus side is that he'd go on, do Silent Hill 2, and was brought back to do 3 & 4.
Then again, I honestly believe he had better overall writing to work with on the SH games than he did MGS1.

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
this is awesome; what a great writer. I remember that 'muktuk' line. probably one of the best translations ever.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
That's a shame, he did a great job with 1. I need to replay it to appreciate it more now that I'm older though. I think he would have vastly improved 2. Whoever did 3 did a good job though, for the most part that game is just solid all around.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered every book I could by an ex-Navy SEAL named Richard Marcinko, who wrote the autobiographical book Rogue Warrior along with a collection of novels.

This struck me as the most hysterical part of all that. Kind of surprised that this didn't lead to a script that was even more outlandish than what we got in the end.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
(I loved the final JFK/JD codec conversation in MGS2, yet have no idea how much of that was thanks to freedom with its localization)
I remember someone asking this to Marc Laidlaw back when he was still working on Policenaut's translation and the answer being that it's pretty much the same speech in the japanese version.

The overall impression by the way being that MGS2 has a more literal translation than MGS1 but at the same time also having more actual translation errors than 1.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Seeing all the memes and jokes that have since come out of the English translation of Symphony of the Night was strange for me

Honestly, it shouldn't have changed his views about anything. The dialogue from the opening of SOTN is actually amazing—it's really the voice acting that makes the scene so silly.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame, he did a great job with 1. I need to replay it to appreciate it more now that I'm older though. I think he would have vastly improved 2. Whoever did 3 did a good job though, for the most part that game is just solid all around.

To be fair to Agness Kaku, with the quality and missing context of the material along with the lack of support from the team, it was a miracle that the localization was even done.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I remember someone asking this to Marc Laidlaw back when he was still working on Policenaut's translation and the answer being that it's pretty much the same speech in the japanese version.

The overall impression by the way being that MGS2 has a more literal translation than MGS1 but at the same time also having more actual translation errors than 1.
Ah, I see. I still remember how disappointed I felt after hearing people claim that MGS4 was closer to MGS2, only for it to have nothing as good as that one conversation that made that game worth it, and instead have dialogue and moments that made the worst parts of MGS2 look like high art (I say all of this in spite of ultimately liking MGS2 and even 4 in spite of their many flaws). As far as 4's writing goes, it pretty much peaked with Snake's "war has changed" speech at the beginning.
Honestly, it shouldn't have changed his views about anything. The dialogue from the opening of SOTN is actually amazing—it's really the voice acting that makes the scene so silly.
Full disclosure, the HD SotN using the PSP localization instead of his has much to do with why I don't want that version.

Nov 15, 2017
I mean, the main story was about a guy who thought he had inferior genes because they were recessive, but it turns out he actually had dominant genes. Of course he's a great writer

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this would explain why the gamecube remake of MGS had a completely different (and inferior) localization. Kojima wanted to "rectify" it.
IIRC, Twin Snakes wasn't a port of MGS1, it was a "re-creation" of MGS1 using a GameCube port of MGS2's game engine.

And since Silicon Knights was "re-creating" the game (under Kojima's supervision), there were direction changes, like Snake infamously backflipping off in-air missiles.

And since there were changes between MGS1 and Twin Snakes, neither the Japanese nor English MGS1 scripts would fit Twin Snakes properly (it would be like trying to fit square pegs in round holes). SK could have tried to cut things up and delete some bits and pieces and add some new pieces to fill in the gaps, but the audio quality and formats weren't the same (PSX vs GameCube/PS2), and while most of the actors made themselves available for reshoots, people would notice the differences between the old and new performances, especially if both performances were contained in the same game. So it was decided to just have the actors do the whole thing all over again from scratch.

And since SK was a Western developer, Twin Snakes wasn't "translated" or "localized" as MGS1 had been, it was created bilingual, by a Western dev, while Kojima was looking over their shoulder.

But yeah, Kojima's (misguided, IMO) dissatisfaction with MGS1's translation would have been why Twin Snakes was made with a more literally-translated style rather than trying to recreate the style of MGS1's original English release.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I thought OSP was a real term. Next you'll say love can't bloom on the back battlefield.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I would say a lot of well-received japanese games would not be nearly as loved if it wasn't for people with similar philosophies to Blaustein. Another Metal Gear game (Rising) had some changes made in a similar vein, mostly in regards to Armstrong's dialogue I think, and I don't think he would be as memorable a villain if it wasn't for 8-4's work.

Yup, Yakuza 0 has no English voice track and the localization is leagues better than persona 5 for example.

FFXV also has a good translation, particularly during the campfire scene.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, Twin Snakes wasn't a port of MGS1, it was a "re-creation" of MGS1 using a GameCube port of MGS2's game engine.

And since Silicon Knights was "re-creating" the game (under Kojima's supervision), there were direction changes, like Snake infamously backflipping off in-air missiles.

And since there were changes between MGS1 and Twin Snakes, neither the Japanese nor English MGS1 scripts would fit Twin Snakes properly (it would be like trying to fit square pegs in round holes). SK could have tried to cut things up and delete some bits and pieces and add some new pieces to fill in the gaps, but the audio quality and formats weren't the same (PSX vs GameCube/PS2), and while most of the actors made themselves available for reshoots, people would notice the differences between the old and new performances, especially if both performances were contained in the same game. So it was decided to just have the actors do the whole thing all over again from scratch.

And since SK was a Western developer, Twin Snakes wasn't "translated" or "localized" as MGS1 had been, it was created bilingual, by a Western dev, while Kojima was looking over their shoulder.

But yeah, Kojima's (misguided, IMO) dissatisfaction with MGS1's translation would have been why Twin Snakes was made with a more literally-translated style rather than trying to recreate the style of MGS1's original English release.

Also, a tidbit, David Hayter took a pay cut to get the actors back to voice their roles.

Oct 26, 2017
Fun fact; Jeremy is the brother of the late great Maddie Blaustein, the most known voice of Meowth. Jeremy even worked on the Pokemon anime and films, at least in the late 4kids era. No clue if he still is tooday.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the time people don't understand that a good localization oft takes liberties with the original text in a way that makes sense within the world. Great examples of this include both Earthbound and XIV, the latter being almost entirely different compared to the stiffer JP text while still making complete sense in context.

It's a shame Kojima has to exert complete control over everything, considering it leads to some incredibly stilted lines and delivery.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tim Rogers had a nice little comment about MGS4's translation in his old website. Was a good read, although it's the classic Tim Rogers wall of text.

In closing, let us praise the one certifiably great thing about Metal Gear Solid 4, and the one shining beacon that fills us with faith in Kojima's future productions: the flow of the dialogue. It's occasionally hilarious how well Kojima is able to write rhythmic dialogue. It clips and breezes along; the most portentous sentences become urgent poetic moments that transcend the base stupidity of the plot. Of course, you'd never know this if you played the game in English — the script appears to have been translated by the Elephant Man banging his head on a keyboard. There's a line where Naomi says "If you want to change your fate, you'll have to meet your destiny". What the shit? In Japanese, she uses the same word for "fate" (unmei) twice, one instance of which being the first word of the sentence. This is to lend the sentence some kind of parallel structure. Even given the flipping idiocy of the moment, it makes for a neat little verbal-ironic turnaround: "The only way to change your fate is to go forth and meet it." In other words, the only way Snake can possibly outlive his terrible fate (death) is by running straight at it, instead of letting it crash into him while he sits there doing nothing. This is a nice little sentence that no doubt has already inspired several dozen fanfiction-writing Japanese fourteen-year-olds. In English, it's a dud; the translator must have majored in newspaper journalism, had a professor tell him to never use the same word — even (ESPECIALLY) "the" — twice in one sentence.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
blaustein wasn't worthy of kojima's grace, it seems
This is a really underrated post, c'mon guys.

It was a good read. I don't agree it paints Kojima in such a bad light, or at least not worse than whatever we already know - Blaustein focuses on his experience and that's what makes the piece interesting.

I also agree 100% with his philoshophy and there's no way anyone can say any later MGS English script is better written than 1.
Rising is a very good example - and SOTN for all it's problems with voice acting is very memorable for better reasons than worse, script-wise.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
His localization was great, and it's even more amazing when taken in the context presented. Still there's too much missing from the story to draw conclusions over Kojima here. Someone had to convey the information to him that the translations were not exact. My guess is that whoever did that did it with a spin that made Blaustein look bad to Kojina.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

That was on Kojima, rather than Silicon Knights. He specifically asked Ryuhei Kitamura to make the cutscenes like what he did in Versus, rather than keeping them like in the original.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
My position regarding localization is that I prefer to hear or read what the creators wanted to say than what a translator thinks is better or "funnier".

Translating from a complete different language is not easy and take some liabilities because different languages work with different concepts to get a point across.

But I would rather something that sounds Japanese than having some silly American idiom or joke as replacement.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
His translation is the reason why MGS1 has by FAR the best dialog in the entire series. He kept Kojima's worst tendencies away from the English script as best he could, and I'll always be grateful that he did. I'm a huge MGS fan, but MGS1 has aged the best out of the entire series in terms of its story, characters, and voice-acting.

I respect Kojima and MGS a lot, but as I've aged I've lost my ability to defend the worst aspects of his writing. I could give them a pass as a teenager, but as a more discerning and experienced adult I have to admit it's pretty bad a lot of the time.

Blaustein was a true hero.

Agreed. Do you remember the MGS2 conversation between Raiden and Rose after he's been captured and interrogated? Yikes! And many defended it for reasons I'm unable to explain. And the cheesy over dramatic music that fades in as he's recounting his experience as a child soldier.

MGS1 was for me, had the best dialogue in the game that afforded the actors more for more subtle, nuanced performances. From the spoken dialogue I'm seeing in the trailers for Death Stranding, I already seeing hints of Hideo's Kojima-isms creeping into that game too. Man, I wish Last of Us 2 was coming out in the fall.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Jeremy is a legend. His reworking of Kojima's two scripts were absolutely perfect and exactly what he needs in terms of an English localization team. I can't believe the MGS1 cigarette line came strictly from his own experiences studying under pressure for the game. I still sometimes think of OSP in games too, it's a great term.

For those who don't know, he also did an amazing job with Snatcher, the voice direction for 1996 was really good when you consider the time. He also fixed some bad elements like Katrina's young age.

Last edited:

Zugma

Oct 27, 2017
I respect Kojima's vision for his games, and how he builds his gameplay around the story, but he really needs someone else to just write the damn things for him. It gets worse with every game, and I'm frightened to imagine what turd will be unleashed on us with his next title.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima sounds like a control freak.
Eh, I mean probably but I wouldn't use this story to confirm it. Kojima doesn't speak English, so if he has Japanese speakers telling him the localization was bad/not what he wanted then he's probably going to believe them. Japanese devs are routinely oblivious to English localization quality, especially in the 90's.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's another example, this time from Snake. Let me ask you which option sounds better:

• A) "I'm just a guy who can only find meaning on the battlefield."
  • B) "I'm just a man who's good at what he does. Killing."

You can probably guess that B is mine, and A is how my translation was "improved" for Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

Here's another from Snake (to Vulcan Raven, regarding the Alaskan Olympics):

• A) "With that strength, you must have been training in the stick pull and four-man carry."
  • B) "Yeah, I know it. You must be a real threat in the 'Muktuk Eating' contest."

In this example, I threw away the line that did nothing except inform the reader of two more events that exist in the Alaskan Olympics. Instead, I gave Snake a funnier line that establishes his character. Good choice, or unfaithful and worthy of condemnation? It's ultimately your call, but I stand by what I did with the game.

And one more, from Psycho Mantis:

• A) "This is the first time … I've ever used my power to help someone. It's strange … such a … nostalgic feeling."
  • B) "This is the first time … I've ever used my power to help someone. It's strange … it feels … kind of … nice."

Naturally, B is mine; I removed the word "nostalgic," a direct translation from the Japanese, because people who are feeling nostalgic don't normally say they are feeling nostalgic when they describe their emotions. We interpret other people as feeling nostalgic, but it's rarely how we describe ourselves.

lol, I dunno, I kinda like the "A" lines. "Can only find meaning on the battlefield" definitely sounds more Snake-like than "I'm just a man who's good at what he does. Killing." I think that assertion that Westerners don't describe themselves as feeling nostalgic is pretty baseless. The Alaskan Olympics thing is a wash.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
lol, I dunno, I kinda like the "A" lines. "Can only find meaning on the battlefield" definitely sounds more Snake-like than "I'm just a man who's good at what he does. Killing." I think that assertion that Westerners don't describe themselves as feeling nostalgic is pretty baseless. The Alaskan Olympics thing is a wash.

The problem isn't that the lines he invented are better or not. He inserts a different character into the game. It's obvious that Kojima would dislike such an approach.

Mar 29, 2018
Incredible read.

The problem isn't that the lines he invented are better or not. He inserts a different character into the game. It's obvious that Kojima would dislike such an approach.
He really doesn't. The character remains the same - the character is just less blandly executed. Less boring to hear. Also tends to convey more "tone", which is part of the reason MGS was so bloody influential - the tone is incredibly on-point throughout.

Edit: I know you're not defending Kojima, I'm just saying it's foolish and the translator was so on-point in MGS

He's not saying that a westerner wouldn't describt themselves as "nostalgic", but that an American person wouldn't normally use the word in that context. In recent years people have started using it like that a little bit more, but back in the '90s you wouldn't just say it any old time. "This makes me feel nostalgic" - you'd never say that. So JB removed it and made the words simpler, which made the scene shine and made it easier for the VA to portray.

"Finding meaning on the battlefield" is awful, like god-awful. Except maybe in a hammy way, and MGS (1998) was far less hammy than MGS2 onwards.

What soldier would ever say that? The "good at killing" thing is still forced - but it's forced because he's being confronted as being a "legend" when he doesn't see himself like that - so he pithely says he's good at killing.

Last edited:

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
Count me in the camp that finds the awkwardly stilted / literal / non-sequitir / esoteric wording of the more direct translation "endearing," although I absolutely understand the challenges of translation and respect this guy's work.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Yeah, I know it. You must be a real threat in the 'Muktuk Eating' contest." is one of my favourite lines in the game.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
That's impossible for an egoist like Kojima.
same applies to Blaustein too:
Some might say that it was ego or conceit behind my choices — and yes, I did the same thing with the "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!" line in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, by the way.

You can now see "what is a man?" referenced as a meme all over the internet, on T-shirts, and even in other games. Naturally, this delights me for egotistical reasons.

also, it's like everyone forgot Suikoden 2.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
My position regarding localization is that I prefer to hear or read what the creators wanted to say than what a translator thinks is better or "funnier".

Translating from a complete different language is not easy and take some liabilities because different languages work with different concepts to get a point across.

But I would rather something that sounds Japanese than having some silly American idiom or joke as replacement.

If a game has a Japanese setting like Yakuza, then a localisation that retains that native feel is important. A game like MGS that has nothing to do with Japan and is focused on American military personnel, should not read like a bad Japanese soap opera.

Metroid Other M had a famously literal localisation that was directly overseen by Yoshio Sakamoto and the result is one of the most awkward and despised game scripts of all time. The most important thing for a good localisation is that it sounds natural, literal translations of Japanese scripts tend to veer into Star Wars prequel territory with reams of inane exposition especially when characters are trying to express emotion. People in the West don't actually talk like that.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy did a fantastic job. People don't understand how localization works, and how hard it is to do it well. And it's hard to explain because most of the time, the person in charge of the project in its source language is obviously not fluent in the target language. So you just have to trust someone else to tell you whether they did a good job or not. Blaustein did an excellent job at making the dialogue less literal and more like words people say. The series never came close to that again.

OP
OP
NotLiquid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If any MGS1 lovers out there haven't played Snatcher or at least watched a longplay I urge them to do so. The localization and writing stood out to me long before I'd even know Blaustein's impact on these games. It's such good over-the-top hardboiled action that's smooth as a well-oiled revolver chamber, the VA direction stood out a bunch to me despite how it used a bunch of unknown actors. It's like a kickass combination of Star Fox 64's cheesy character beats and MGS1's natural sounding tone. The world feels crafted with such a believable, genuine care despite how much it's Kojima's most blatant hodgepodge of movie references and homages.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I mean probably but I wouldn't use this story to confirm it. Kojima doesn't speak English, so if he has Japanese speakers telling him the localization was bad/not what he wanted then he's probably going to believe them. Japanese devs are routinely oblivious to English localization quality, especially in the 90's.
He's not a native speaker, but Kojima does speak English and understands it as well.

How else do you think he hangs around with his celeb friends all the time? Do you think his assistants are with him 24/7?