• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bulerias

Oct 26, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
m.imdb.com

The Boy And The Heron Box Office (Worldwide): Hayao Miyazaki’s Oscar-Winning Movie Crosses $300 Million Mark - IMDb

IMDb, the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content.

Incredible result. Second-highest grossing Ghibli film ever with a still forthcoming release in India, top 5 highest grossing anime film of all time.

Part of me hopes this is truly Miyazaki's final film because I cannot imagine a more successful and career-capping swan song. The film easily met and exceeded my own personal expectations (10 years worth of them, no easy feat) to the point where there's been hardly a day where I haven't thought about it since seeing it back in December.

Thank you, Miyazaki-san!

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Beautiful film. I saw it three times in the theater and I would see it again if I could. Peak craftsmanship across the board.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Top 5 markets

China: about $104,000,000 (according to Maoyan)
Japan: $60,711,168 (according to Boxoffice Mojo)
US: $46,781,608
S.Korea:$14,888,624
France: $12,315,734

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Totally deserved. A pretty amazing work of art.

Obviously, Miyazaki is a star, but I am impressed at how well it has done given it is maybe his most complex film? Although, the very classic layer of wonder and whimsy probably helps that go over commercially. Pretty fascinating movie altogether, I definitely need to rewatch it a couple more times.

OP
OP
Bulerias

Bulerias

Oct 26, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Totally deserved. A pretty amazing work of art.

Obviously, Miyazaki is a star, but I am impressed at how well it has done given it is maybe his most complex film? Although, the very classic layer of wonder and whimsy probably helps that go over commercially. Pretty fascinating movie altogether, I definitely need to rewatch it a couple more times.
This is the biggest surprise for me. I'm so happy that it's critically and commercially successful but it was not how I thought this would go after seeing it. It's right up there with the best magical realist / existentialist works in film and literature, IMO.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. I ended up seeing it twice in the theater, partially because I didn't know how to feel about it the first time. It's such an odd film and it's cool that audiences embraced it.

Top 5 markets

China: about $104,000,000 (according to Maoyan)
Japan: $60,711,168 (according to Boxoffice Mojo)
US: $46,781,608
S.Korea:$14,888,624
France: $12,315,734

Wow, China really liked the film. Do anime releases typically do well in China (relative to the U.S.) or did they all come out this time for Miyazaki?

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, China really liked the film. Do anime releases typically do well in China (relative to the U.S.) or did they all come out this time for Miyazaki?

I don't know about that, but China has 4 times as many people as the US, so it didn't really do relatively well compared to the US at all.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian

This is an unusual case. The First Slam Dunk and Suzume no Tojimari have also performed similarly in China (Boy and Heron's box office has yet to beat Suzume's), and all of these are event releases from creators who've enjoyed great reputations in China for years. Other Japanese animated films with a limited target audience, such as Doraemon, and Conan the Detective, have fared less well. Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero's box office in China was fairly disappointing(less than $2 million).

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Yeah anime films have been big hits in SK and Chinese box offices these days. Not all but moreso than you'd see in the USA for example. Like recently at least one a year ends up as some of the best performing foreign movies outside of Hollywood, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, this is gonna pass Suzume isn't it?

This is an unusual case. The First Slam Dunk and Suzume no Tojimari have also performed similarly in China (Boy and Heron's box office has yet to beat Suzume's), and all of these are event releases from creators who've enjoyed great reputations in China for years.

True, their being established IPs/names seems to be a main factor.

Last edited:

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
It was a fun film, not his best but I loved seeing his work once again, the ww gross is defo deserved.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
An absolutely beautiful movie that deserves all the success it can get. I haven't experienced that sort of magical ghibli charm in a long time, I can't wait to buy it on bluray as soon as it's available.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Good. I really want to see it again. Or maybe I should just keep my memory of the one time I did see it special.

Dec 6, 2022
I don't know about that, but China has 4 times as many people as the US, so it didn't really do relatively well compared to the US at all.

The Chinese box office isn't that much larger than the US one however. Highest grossing film in China is The Battle at Lake Changjin with $913 million, with the American record being The Force Awakens with $936 million.

Oct 29, 2017
Likewise, although I've previously read that older Ghibli films weren't rendered in 4K (or something like that) :(
Spirited Away, as far as I know, was their first foray into using CGI elements in their films, which if scanned at a higher resolution might show their age, so anything Spirited Away onward is not likely to get a 4K release for those reasons.
Anything before that however? As far as I'm aware is fair game. Most 4K's of older movies involve going back and scanning the film (usually the original negative or as close to it as possible) and then manually removing dirt, debris, etc from the image and cleaning the audio track up. Outside of time/money/man-hours there's nothing really stopping them from doing this

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Spirited Away, as far as I know, was their first foray into using CGI elements in their films, which if scanned at a higher resolution might show their age, so anything Spirited Away onward is not likely to get a 4K release for those reasons.
Anything before that however? As far as I'm aware is fair game. Most 4K's of older movies involve going back and scanning the film (usually the original negative or as close to it as possible) and then manually removing dirt, debris, etc from the image and cleaning the audio track up. Outside of time/money/man-hours there's nothing really stopping them from doing this
Actually I was watching Mononoke a few weeks ago, and there was at least one scene with obvious bad 90s CG in it.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Good news. Maybe the movie will grow on me but at the theater i wasn't left too satisfied with the overall narrative.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Actually I was watching Mononoke a few weeks ago, and there was at least one scene with obvious bad 90s CG in it.

Semi-related
It's actually pretty cool to see Disney incorporating it as early as they possibly could
e29eafa77dddef47696d2a88527ab016.gif
200.gif

A little rough, yeah; but definitely a big help when it is used.

Likewise, although I've previously read that older Ghibli films weren't rendered in 4K (or something like that) :(
It really comes down to doing new scans at higher resolutions of the original elements. That's more of an issue for films since Princess Mononoke as that was the first film to utilize digital ink and paint to finish the drawings for the cels, but I believe they had a system very similar to what Disney had with CAPS on Beauty and the Beast, so as long as they've held onto their hardware, it's certainly possible to produce 4K scans of those films without too much issue. That being said, knowing that The Boy and the Heron was finished in 2K (albeit with Dolby Vision), I'm not sure it's entirely that necessary for them to go crazy when there are plenty of super attractive 2K DIs on the 4K format out there.

CG usage itself is not really going to determine what's suitable for new scans, really. You just have to live with the fact that was cutting edge in 1997 isn't necessarily the case these days.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I really want to see this with my kids. Thought it would be on Max or some other platform by now

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
DVD/Blu-ray/4K are up for preorder on Amazon Japan. Includes the English dub (and I assume English subtitles).

Out July 3rd.

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Woah, that's a lot of money. I didn't think the execution was as good as the classics and it felt like it wanted to be a lot more than the runtime it got but i suppose it was a good film nonetheless.

Oct 30, 2017
The release date was shared alongside the Blu-Ray announcement, it's like a week earlier, in June. Great news!

huh, cool! wonder what the schedule will be like in japan.

i've seen it twice (once in japanese, once dubbed) so i'm not desperate but i would like to own it one way or another. heck of a movie

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Excited to finally have a date. Bummed there's still a wait, but I've been patient this long. What's a little longer?