ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
With the reveal of it being one of GOTY nominees and getting a decent amount of other recognition recently, I've noticed here a renewal of a lot of people basically being shocked or disappointed about how it's critically praised. Personally it's probably my second favorite game this year, but this is the only place where I see it considered inferior to Doom 2016 or even just not good in general. I see tons of praise for it everywhere elese. It's just one of the weirder bubble things here I've noticed.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Doom Eternal > Doom 2016.

Doom Eternal is one of the tightest, most finely crafted videos games I have ever played. Doom 2016 is a metal jam band playing covers of your favourite songs from the 90s. Doom Eternal is a world class symphony.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was the same for doom 2016, the old forum wrote it off until the press reviews out.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's certainly not GOTY when titles like The Last of Us II and Animal Crossing released but it's very strange to me to see people dismiss it so easily.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i dont think its just era, i think its more that it's being compared to doom 2016, which ive seen a lot online, especially on twitter

its like dark souls 2 for me

i like dark souls 2 a lot, its a solid 8 or 9 imo, but compared to the other souls games its pretty disappointing

doom 2016 was just phenomenal, and eternal not quite reaching the same spot for some people is gonna cause a couple rumbles

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love both DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal for their individual strengths. DOOM Eternal is the most fun I've had with a single-player shooter in years, for sure. And easily one of the best games of the year.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because it was harder sure, but wayyyyyyy better in combat, music and art

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
It's an impressive game, I just wasn't a fan of the direction they went in mechanically. I can respect that it's a GOTY candidate. It just wasn't as fun as Doom 2016 for me.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eternal isn't just an iteration on 2016's groundwork, it went much farther out to do its own thing, which wasn't gonna be for everyone. But for me they made the best first person action game of all time, so.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
It just feels like a game where if you played DOOM 2016, you been there done that. I'm struggling to motivate myself to get past the first handful of missions because here I am again, weakening enemies, glory killing, and chainsaw killing. It was an extremely fun progression / something new in 2016, but so far it feels like I'm running through the motions. There's very little pulling me forward.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Doom Eternal is an outstanding game when it clicks, and it clicked for me HARD, but if you can't get the combat rhythm down it can be a rough experience. It's a very different game from 2016. I understand why people don't care for it, even though I strongly disagree.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Not what most peopel focus on and likely not the popular opinion, but I thought the Multiplayer was terrible and much prefered the 2016 version. I also think the UI is design not in any way attractive or ellegant/stylish (Having the option to change the color does help somewhat).

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I don't know it's not just here. USGamer/Kat Bailey and crew basically said "Sure it's a good game but it's nowhere near GOTY level good" and pretty much wrote it off immediately as a possible winner

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I've been playing DS and DS3 (for the first time) the second half of the year and I can easily say that Doom Eternal's difficulty curve is broken and the encounters aren't designed for dual analog controls. Loved 2016 and just dropped Eternal midway through the last level.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's unique to this forum, but the game being decently challenging and having a pretty set way to play can certainly make it pretty polarizing. I thought it wasn't good at first and got better once you go further in, but I'm not really surprised to see the varying opinions on it. Was a solid game for me though.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. A shooter that seems designed with character action fans in mind, and features some of the best movement & traversal in the genre.

Complete, across the board upgrade over 2016, which lost me after 4 hours. Eternal deserves every ounce of praise it gets.

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
I really didn't like the design changes made to the combat, and the narrative wasn't great and misses what made 2016 work. There was a thread a while back that I think summarized my issues with it pretty well.

Last edited:

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not sure how anyone could "hate" Eternal, but I am one of those people who was at least slightly disappointed in it. Mostly due to having mixed feelings toward some of its changes and narrative, which is all really just personal preference.

It's still a fantastic game, but I liked 2016 a bit better.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I love both DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal for their individual strengths. DOOM Eternal is the most fun I've had with a single-player shooter in years, for sure. And easily one of the best games of the year.
This is for me too. It is rare for me to replay a game after finishing it, but Eternal had to be replayed. Had to. In Nightmare. Even better than in Ultra-Violence. Man, the gameplay is a blast. Killing demons never felt so good.

Although, playing this with a controller must be a nightmare.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Yall really need to stop using "hate" for every trivial issue

Not thinking a game should be goty in a year with such great titles does not mean people "hate" it

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
The best single player shooter to ever been made. It's not my game of the year becuase this year we had my favorite JRPG ever and my favorite game of all time but number 3 is really good here. Just a fantastic game and can't beleive people hate on it, but my guess is they don't want to be stressed and pushed to the edge every second which doom eternal does in a perfect ballet of violence and demon tearing!!!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Admittedly, I skipped it when it was new because of mixed sentiment (and it's not just here), but I'm ready to give it a go now that it's on Game Pass. If I end up loving it as much as 2016, I'll buy it to keep.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't care for "do this strategy with 100% focus or lose"-type of enemies that suck out all of the pacing of the combat or forced jumping bullshit, skill rotations and hook-line traversal.

I wanted tight combat encounters, a blasting soundtrack and good level design. I got some of that, but the previous factors made it, much, much worse than 2016. I also found the character in 2016 much more pronounced and awesome, despite him not saying anything. Eternal even got that wrong.

Overall it's not really "bad" perse, it's just a worse sequel.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
I'm sure lots of people love it more than 2016. I'm just not one of them.

2016 nailed so many ancillary things that were unexpected and I found Eternal to be a regression in some of those ancillary things that I found pretty lame and while they ratcheted up the gameplay, I personally found the juggling of combat switching for ammo/health/armor went a little too far for me.

Also just not a fan of the platforming in that game.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It's not really a resetera bubble thing though, lots of people found it too intense and busy coming off of Doom 2016

Me, I just hated the platforming and some of the weird level design where you swim through spicey water

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I really liked Doom 2016, but I never replayed it, so the prospect of Doom Eternal being too "samey" doesn't concern me. It's still in my backlog though

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Dunno if different opinions count as a bubble of "hate", but I do personally feel Doom 2016 was a better overall experience than Eternal. I still greatly enjoyed Eternal and plan to play it again when the PS5/XSX updates come out, but the pacing of Eternal (Specifically certain levels being needlessly big) and focus on higher difficulty (Even on lower settings) just reminds me a lot of OG Doom 2 which I feel is also inferior to Doom 1.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it, but I get the backlash. It can be overwhelming, whereas 2016 was very streamlined. It's a game I don't feel the need to ever revisit.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best shooter I've played on years by quite a bit and I say this as someone who feel off DOOM 2016.

I can see it being too systemically dense for some people but when you hit your flow with the game you are in complete control of the battlefield. It feels amazing.

Feb 16, 2018
doom reboot was disappointing because the multiplayer was atrociously bad for a PC/arena shooter. i wouldn't call it hatred (from my perspective), but more like lack of hype

it doesn't change how good the single player might be, but it does make me less interested (admittedly irrationally). i'd probably have played doom and eternal day 1 if they just deleted the MP entirely instead of letting it be a disappointment

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
This is the same forum that trashes both Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. We're weird here.
www.resetera.com

ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2017

OVERALL | GENRE | PLATFORM | CENSUS | FULL DATA Notes A special thank you to the amazing team behind this year's GOTY voting: BeardedMan01 and Muzy who helped with ballots, Hecht and OneAndOnly who created the scripts for vote counting and tabulation, ratrosaw for creating VoteBot, Rösti who...

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the gameplay was excellent, but everything around it was extremely off-putting. I don't know why they decided to lean so hard into the kind of dumbass lore that felt like parody in Doom 2016. I felt like I'd missed a game in between 2016 and Eternal, and the idea of stopping dead in my tracks to read tomes of lore explaining the situation was totally anathema to the spirit of playing Doom.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't care for "do this strategy with 100% focus or lose"-type of enemies that suck out all of the pacing of the combat or forced jumping bullshit, skill rotations and hook-line traversal.

I wanted tight combat encounters, a blasting soundtrack and good level design. I got some of that, but the previous factors made it, much, much worse than 2016. I also found the character in 2016 much more pronounced and awesome, despite him not saying anything. Eternal even got that wrong.

Overall it's not really "bad" perse, it's just a worse sequel.
This. All of this. The entire game just got too cluttered with crap for its own good. Just real chock full of superfluous combat abilities that got in the way of being fun.

Not to mention how the combat flow always boiled down to the use of the chainsaw here instead of being more of an optional thing.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
DOOM (2016) was amazing but they topped it with Eternal. It's amazing how they could make the game play even faster and more chaotic and have it still work and be enjoyable. Few times in the game when the enemies were buffed by the totems i lost my orientation and felt like a pinball, until i got back in control of the situation. Just pure chaos. Those were the best moments. For sure my game of the year.