RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I've been in the market to buy a new car over the past few months, and it's obviously not an enviable position to be in given the current state of the car-buying market with low inventory, long wait times, dealer markups above MSRP, etc.

But one thing that's been eye-opening (for me at least) while I've been researching cars (through countless reviews and YouTube videos) is the trend for numerous car manufacturers to shove everything they can into touchscreen controls while getting rid of physical buttons in the interior.

Tesla has been the obvious example of one company that's heavily gone in this direction for years now, and it's one reason why I haven't had much interest in Tesla:

2022_tesla_model_3_dashboard.jpg

But now more and more car manufacturers are starting to move in this same direction, as they replace tactile buttons for important functions like AC control, radio controls, and the volume knob and instead relegate them to a touchscreen (or capacitive touch controls). On top of that, it's sometimes in the form of an iPad-like tablet screen that's been shoved into the car and is not really integrated well into the rest of the dashboard.

I just think it's a really shitty trend for the consumer imo. I imagine that for car manufacturers, it's easier (and maybe cheaper?) to make a single touch screen for all of their cars than to curate multiple buttons for the interior for each car. But there's just so many negatives for this trend. First and foremost, having people use a touchscreen for things like AC controls while they're driving is a lot more dangerous than using buttons. The tactile feedback of buttons is just safer and easier to use on a day-to-day basis. If I had to dig through menus for something as relatively simple as changing the temperature in my car (as with the BMW shown below) or use capacitive touch controls for changing the volume (as shown in the Mercedes below) on a regular basis, I'd go nuts:

bKxy4lf.png

dkob6Ra.png

We're rightfully trying to curb people looking at their phone screens while driving, but then car companies are basically putting iPad tablets in the center console with a lot of them requiring the use of touch controls and without tactile feedback? 🤷‍♂️

I certainly understand that not everything can be implemented into buttons in a car nowadays, so things like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are fine with me (especially if you have a knob/cursor to maneuver through the menu). Using Google Maps and Spotify through CarPlay is great, so there is definitely a place for touch screens where they make sense. But when it comes to things like the volume control and climate control being relegated to touch controls? Shit is just totally unnecessary, as car manufacturers are trying to reinvent the wheel.

It's becoming more and more difficult to find newer cars that aren't inundated with touch controls. I ended up placing a deposit for a new Lexus IS 350, and one big reason for that was due to its blend of physical buttons and CarPlay/touch functionality, as it has a happy middle ground between the two. A lot of reviewers slam the interior for being outdated (it even still has a CD player lol), but honestly, I'd rather it be "outdated" in order for it to be functional (and reliable) for years and years to come. I don't have the same confidence for a lot of these newer cars that seem to have way too many functions shoved into technology that may have that initial "wow factor" for the average consumer, but may not be as practical to use on a day-to-day basis.

Anyone else agree?
67wiBo0.gif

297.png

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't agree more. It's frankly dangerous. I shouldn't have to look at a screen to make myself warmer or colder and I've seen cars where the software clearly lags.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
yup it's atrocious. Not that it's ok while most journeys aren't fully autonomous (dangerous as fuck) but some fully electric cars are at least trying to future proof it I guess for the time when a mythical update comes that adds FSD. Why hybrid and full ICE cars do this shit at all beyond is beyond me though.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely agree, it's a big reason why I'm trying to get every last mile out of my 2008 model.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Touch screens should have been illegal day 1, much less the standard like it is today. Fucking dangerous and counter intuitive.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Can't use a phone in cars but they'll force a whole-ass tablet bolted onto the dash to control your entire car.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Yup. My big issue is also you have one presumably expensive piece of equipment where if it stops working you're doomed.

We went from tech adding/working in tandem with the diver to 'ok, now let me take ten minutes to figure out how to lower the bass because now im playing some hip-hop and my teeth are rattling'

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
car makers get to save a lot of money in return for futuristic looking cars. this is the type of faux-premium you only notice after use.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's abysmal. Especially if you want to just have access to something quickly.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about modern car trend is a decrease in safety, especially to the people outside of the car.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I agree. It's also absurd that companies like Apple (who've tried making inroads toward driver safety/attention), want our dashboards to look like this:

apple-wwdc22-ios16-carplay-220606-63060bdf5844d_968x514.jpg

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One of those "the boomers are right" things for sure lol

(also, touch screen fridges, what the what???? ) ☃️

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I didnt mind it at first but you do have a point.

Especially when turning on/off the climate controls, etc.

Lower trim levels of Toyotas at least give physical buttons/knobs while the higher level trims are all touchscreen. One of the reasons why we went with a LE for our 2022 Venza.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
My car is like that and it's definitely true. I bought a new WRX which has a big infotainment screen and it looks great but it's capable of surprisingly little. The only things I want to do most times is change the fan speed and seat heaters and those are the smallest buttons of all. An unrelated note is that Apple Carplay seems neat when you first see it but it has such crazy limitations on what you can do while the car is moving that it just encourages you to pick up the phone anyway.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I really miss my S2000 where the only thing lit up was my speedometer. It had a lid that you could close to hide the cd player/radio. I dont even like buttons.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It wouldn't be so bad if auto-manufacturers weren't so god damn terrible at Software Engineering and Design to the point that they hide everything behind 50 submenus and write it all in the most barely functional, non-opimized way possible. And then to make matters worse they cheap out and get the worst possible parts that causes everything to just slow to a crawl and misregister touch input.

Like if you're going to do it, fucking do it right.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Some cars keep it old school with all the knobs and switches.

2022-nissan-frontier-interior-dashboard.jpg

Although, I think that is still too many buttons on the steering wheel. I had a rental some months ago and struggled trying to figure out how to turn on cruise control.

I really wish that steering wheels would just have the 4 face buttons and d pad to operate cruise control and whatever else those buttons do. I mean, millions of people know those buttons after all.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
The one time where old trends were better, and it's the reason I went with a lower model Toyota RAV4.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 2020 Jeep Cherokee with a touchscreen, but at least I have manual buttons for adjusting the temperature, and knobs for fan speed and radio volume.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
I don't think anyone, ANYWHERE, disagrees with this. The unfortunate part is it doesn't matter what the public thinks: a tablet with a bunch of wires coming out of it is exponentially cheaper than a fully featured dash with buttons and knobs filled to the brim with wiring for each of those buttons and knobs.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the bean counter. They're calling the shots on this one.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
No, you're right OP, touchscreens over buttons suck. I think most people would agree with you as well, and some companies have been adding physical buttons back.

One of the good things about driving old cars is this is something I don't have to deal with.

Last edited:

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
This and the blackberry-esque controls on some Mercedes steering wheels really grind my gears.
A touch screen is possibly the worst kind of interface to have in a car, yet here we are.

Tesla at least manages to make their interface very responsive, but in many cars it is rather slow, and you might need to hit a button multiple times and then check in on it while it loads.

I`m not totally opposed to having some features on a touch screen, but everything you have to use while driving should have manual controls.

My other pet peeve is the "Do not let this system distract you from the road" pop up that is so common when setting off. Instead of just doing the one thing you were going to do on the touch screen, you now have to check in on it to see if it has gone away. In some cases you have to dismiss it manually. All this causes more attention to be drawn away from actual driving.

Brandino

Avenger
Jan 9, 2018
It'd also get old real fast if the tablet freezes and you're no longer able to use your climate controlls for example

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
The touch screens are fine if the buttons on them are big enough and responsive enough.

My first Subaru WRX with a touchscreen was awful.
Everything was too damn small and the amount of touching the wrong radio station was too damn high..

My wife's Jeep's interface is great though. All the buttons in the UI are massive and hard to miss, plus there's still physical buttons for raising or lowering the temp.

My Golf GTI is likewise pretty good. With a mix of touch and analog controls. The buttons in the UI are serviceable and responsive, though honestly, I mostly just use the buttons on the steering wheel.

Granted, I've never used a Tesla or any of the vehicles that completely eschew physical buttons.
So long as everything is big and responsive and always stays in the same basic location, seems like it could work just fine… unless you know it's sluggish and shit moves from update to update , then yeah sounds like a nightmare.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
It'd also get old real fast if the tablet freezes and you're no longer able to use your climate controlls for example
I was reading that for Tesla, you have to use the touchscreen in order to open the glove compartment?

Shit just seems unnecessary

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Tesla seems to be the only brand where it at least works. I would prefer buttons any time though. My current car is pretty much perfect imo in that regard, everything I'll get after that will be worse

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is correct, give me button and dials damnit. I'm cool with using a touchscreen phone because I look at it when I use it, I don't want to have to stair at my infotainment system just to turn the volumn down.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Some cars keep it old school with all the knobs and switches.

2022-nissan-frontier-interior-dashboard.jpg

Although, I think that is still too many buttons on the steering wheel. I had a rental some months ago and struggled trying to figure out how to turn on cruise control.

I really wish that steering wheels would just have the 4 face buttons and d pad to operate cruise control and whatever else those buttons do. I mean, millions of people know those buttons after all.

I was about to come in here and say touch screens have a place and make sense and saw this. This is great.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I hate touch screens in vehicles. Give me buttons and knobs any day of the week. If people want a huge screen let them pay extra for it.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
100% Agreed. The trend started with cell phones and I was adament of keeping the first Android Phone with a physical keyboard for so long. I could type with out looking and now you cant do that with touch screens

Oct 29, 2017
Fully agree.

Form over function is a bad look with this stuff--quite literally, given how it makes it harder to keep your eyes on the road.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I agree the transition to touch buttons is just not intuitive. It's taking a step backwards to make it look like they're moving forward.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
having some digitalization is fine.

hiding VERY IMPORTANT options and buttons behind cumbersome and unreliable touch control and menus is madness.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Volkswagen learned:
jalopnik.com

VW Is Ditching Capacitive Touch for Real Steering Wheel Buttons

Volkswagen's CEO posted on LinkedIn promising that the touch-sensitive control pads will be replaced by real, physical buttons. Rejoice!

hope they also overthink the radio and climate controls..

I'm driving a 2018 VW Golf 7 and the big radio with only touch is already pissing me of.

2,5x2,5cm "button", but you need to hit the 1x1cm part in the middle, for it to register your finger.
then no feed back at all etc. very annoying and totally unnecessary.

sitting on the toilet browsing the internet with your phone is something totally different from driving your car at 100 kmh on a road.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Nov 2, 2017

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree. Sort of in the market for a new car now and glad to see climate and some radio functions having physical buttons seem to be coming back. Hopefully gloss piano black stuff starts disappearing too. The worst!

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
100% agree. The Tesla, windshield wipers options are accessed via touch screen. You can turn it on for a second using the stalk, but if you want to turn it on and keep it on, you have to mess with the options on the touch screen, which makes it very dangerous, especially when driving and a big shower comes out of nowhere while you're on a highway.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I love how every non-entertainment software interface appears to have been designed and reviewed exclusively by people who have never actually used software as a tool to accomplish tasks or solve problems in their entire lives.

I work in industrial control systems, a field where the most influential software engineers brag about not owning a computer at home.

Oct 25, 2017
Not just cars, anything with touch buttons fucking suck. The stupid air purifier we bought (and returned) last year had them and it was *infuriating* to use.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there is a healthy middle ground to be had.
I think traditional cars have way too many buttons and knobs and I don't think I've used 80% of them in my car.

But as far as on screen controls go. If it lags at all it is SHIT. I think Tesla is the only one that gets this right.
Every other car manufacturer that I've seen that had on screen menus have all been LAGGY PIECES OF SHIT.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I love how every non-entertainment software interface appears to have been designed and reviewed exclusively by people who have never actually used software as a tool to accomplish tasks or solve problems in their entire lives.

I work in industrial control systems, a field where the most influential software engineers brag about not owning a computer at home.
The reason the long-established car companies are so fucking terrible at creating nice user interfaces is their development cycle I guess? Most of them can't even implement over the air updates, which is both hilarious and understandable when you consider, that they started working on these systems 10 years ago with systems that has been 10 years old already or something. Even the most expensive cars like the Mercedes EQS stutter and lag and are considered the best in the business.

Tesla treats the car like a phone (I don't own one). Which is cool as it's developed and improved constantly. It also runs on very fast hardware.