Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
How well does it compete with entry level DSLR? Wondering for college which to get, photography is one of my core courses.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Those smartphones sure are great.

DDT5o8z-640x509.jpg

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I wonder which company Huawei stole this tech from cause that company seems to have done a good job on this tech.. I know for a fact huawei doesn't develop their own stuff though just steals it from hard working corporations and spies on victimized people.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, a commercial is the same thing as someone from an independent website actually using the phone. At least wait for the DXO mark scores where companies regularly cheat to say they are lying.

Which were already posted the page before and the thing is now on top and number 1? Or have I misread the article. Seems like a phenomenal smartphone for taking photos.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What does the live preview look like? Could you use this phone to actually navigate a dark environment in a pinch?

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just wait for the borderline racist posts to start showing up about stolen technology.

What do you expect when you have 10~20 years of copy cat propaganda for a developing country. It will take a couple of years before the narrative will change.

And with the tech cold war propaganda going on isnt helping or make it clear to people in the west to wake up.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Its harder and harder for me to justify bringing trip after trip, my heavy photobag, spending time to to process all pictures for hours with dedicated software, when my brother snap a pic that is clearer and brighter than life and instantly instagram it with great color correction

I have about 3k worth of camera and lens. My son was born a year ago. Last year 90% of the photos and videos I took were with whatever phone I had in my hand and the remaining 9% were taken with a gopro. When I went through my baby photo stream, I occasionally came across some really good photos and I knew they were taken by the Fuji gears. But I just don't have the time and an extra hand to use it. I am perfectly happy with taking short clips with a gopro and compose a short video to show my family. Some of the gopro app editing features are what I call early AI functions. This is where we are going now. Convenience over quality.

Also I got to say it, Japanese camera companies inability to offer easy way to send photo from the camera to the internet seamlessly is going to be the main reason of their down fails.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Huawei of all companies shouldn't be free of criticisms about privacy. Every government currently criticizing them isn't doing so because of racial hatred.

What does the live preview look like? Could you use this phone to actually navigate a dark environment in a pinch?
I could see this coming in the future as a slightly delayed preview but because it takes multiple exposures you need to actually take the photo for the results to appear. I don't know if the live preview is just as dark as other phones though.

e: guess I'm wrong as shown below!

Last edited:

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Whut? You can learn lots of the fundamentals. You're missing aperture control from most phones, but otherwise it's a good starting point.

Well it does 90% of the post processing for you without telling you exactly what they did, how is that a good learning tool. You can not learn anything except composition.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Still $1000+.
My Mi Mix 3 takes just as good night photography, with better design and specs for $500. Huweii needs to stop charging Apple and Samsung prices

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have about 3k worth of camera and lens. My son was born a year ago. Last year 90% of the photos and videos I took were with whatever phone I had in my hand and the remaining 9% were taken with a gopro. When I went through my baby photo stream, I occasionally came across some really good photos and I knew they were taken by the Fuji gears. But I just don't have the time and an extra hand to use it. I am perfectly happy with taking short clips with a gopro and compose a short video to show my family. Some of the gopro app editing features are what I call early AI functions. This is where we are going now. Convenience over quality.

Man, I went the completely opposite direction. Only ever used my smartphone for photos until I had a kid and started to really get into photography as a result.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Whut? You can learn lots of the fundamentals. You're missing aperture control from most phones, but otherwise it's a good starting point.
If your not manually setting your aperture and exposure time and ISO, then what are you learning other than composition? (unless I am mistaken and you still set your own exposure time and ISO with the phone). I mean this is amazing, and camera phones take pretty great pics now a days, but if your goin into a photography class and you show up with a cell phone you wont really be learning much I would think.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017

Also I got to say it, Japanese camera companies inability to offer easy way to send photo from the camera to the internet seamlessly is going to be the main reason of their down fails.
If any of the lenses are Canon and your want to liquidate let me know ;) I could use a nice macro lens and wide angle lol

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I'm in a similar boat. I pretty much only use my actual camera gear for astro photography now and everything else is done on a smart phone and (formerly GoPro). For video i've switched to the DJI Pocket Osmo which is honestly a game changer. I think similar products will change how most people shoot video within the next 2-3 years.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If your not manually setting your aperture and exposure time and ISO, then what are you learning other than composition? (unless I am mistaken and you still set your own exposure time and ISO with the phone). I mean this is amazing, and camera phones take pretty great pics now a days, but if your goin into a photography class and you show up with a cell phone you wont really be learning much I would think.

There are apps that will let you manually set ISO, shutter speed and aperture (if it's not fixed) and also shoot in RAW.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
You can manually control ISO and shutter speed on most phones now, and export RAW. Lack of aperture control is the main issue.
Edit: beaten

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Those smartphones sure are great.

DDT5o8z-640x509.jpg
"Let me use this to prove that real pictures.taken.by real p30pro units are fake, that'll show them".

Ffs, I swear Huawei brings the worst out of Era. There are legit issues with them, but photography isn't one of them

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
apps that will let you manually set ISO, shutter speed and aperture (if it's not fixed) and also shoot in RAW.
You can manually control ISO and shutter speed on most phones now, and export RAW. Lack of aperture control is the main issue.
Edit: beaten
Gotchya, thanks. I am still rocking an old S5 so I don't know most of the options with new smart phone cameras. I would be curious to see the comparison between one of these cameras and a DSLR with a nice mid grade lens (or even a kit lens).

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotchya, thanks. I am still rocking an old S5 so I don't know most of the options with new smart phone cameras. I would be curious to see the comparison between one of these cameras and a DSLR with a nice mid grade lens (or even a kit lens).

Well, smartphones have tiny sensor sizes. Like 1/2.5" or somewhere around a 6x or more crop factor compare to a full frame camera. So their "bright" apertures of f/1.8 end up looking like f/11 and f/2.8 telephoto lenses are closer to f/17. They can shoot at ISO 25, but that looks closer to ISO 1000 on a full frame camera in terms of noise performance. They get around these image quality limitations with lots of computation photography stuff that fakes shallow depth of field or merges multiple exposures to dramatically reduce noise. Since the sensors are so small and they are paired with powerful processors, they can easily fire off multiple frames and combine them in an instant to the point that even some motion won't cause weird artifacting.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Computational photography is making some good strides these days. It's not for me I still bring my camera everywhere but pretty impressive for what it is.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Night Sight on the Pixel 3 is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen from a phone camera, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Huawei's tech influences the industry.

Very impressive software, but the second example is basically distorting reality by turning a night scene into morning. That's not really photography anymore, more like digital art.

For most night sight photos it's the difference between being completely dark and actually having a photo you can see. We have a newborn and she'll fall asleep in cute, stupid ways, and I'll take two photos... one with night sight and one without. The one without is completely dark. The one with, it might be unnaturally lit by some algorithm, but you can actually see what's happening in it.

The color representation is also really, really accurate... way more accurate than it has any right to be.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't prove anything. The camera taking the shot is adjusting itself to the light of the phone screen, so of course the room is pitch black in comparison.

Still, I expect the shots are impressive.
I'd genuinely like to see them compared to what a DSLR could manage in the same light. Mine is quite poor in the dark since the high iso is very noisy. I wonder how much benefit a good algorithm and multiple exposures can give.
I think a good algorithm could beat my camera, since it's designed with a philosophy of "don't be a dick, use a flash/tripod in the dark instead of ISO16000".