• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I never played Battlemaniacs and finally got a chance thanks to SNES Online and MS and Nintendo finally playing nice with the legacy Nintendo console stuff.

I've tried beating Battletoads NES many times, including on Rare Replay with the rewind function and save states. I can never past Clinger Winger. This stage is just crap lol. And cruel. No checkpoints. You need to be frame perfect on some of the turns. So I gave up. Battletoads drained my spirits.

I then played Battlemaniacs. It's slightly easier. Only slightly. The Snake Pit was insanity in that game. I then made it to the Clinger Style stage there and it was a hard wall.

Here's a perfect run of the NES version. Read the comments lol.

Now that the game is mega old and has a lot of time to look back at it, many do feel Clinger Winger is the hardest stage. I agree.

I've looked up strats involving pausing (in the Rare Replay version), memorizing the turns, etc. Nothing works for me.

Fun fact: This stage is bugged in the original NES version with 2P. One of you will die and you can't beat with two players. It's fixed in the Japanese version of the game (which is easier overall and should've been the actual difficulty) and Rare Replay.

I still do love this game. But honestly, kinda like a balance of today, the Japanese version rocks because they fixed all the craziness. It's still challenging game, just not frustratingly so.

View: https://youtu.be/3wnAO4XZNOQ?si=0vxcho-Yfys8MG4T

SNES version, technically called Roller Coaster, but same design.

View: https://youtu.be/PRBdwPvh0U8?si=8OJjlmoCD26qKjoT

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Did the sort of speeder stages where you have to dodge the obstacles come before this section? That would explain why I never even saw these...

Liminal Cat

Sep 26, 2021
I've beaten NES Battletoads before, but I've never beaten Clinger Winger without using the pause trick.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Did the sort of speeder stages where you have to dodge the obstacles come before this section? That would explain why I never even saw these...
Yeah.

In the NES game, the third stage, Turbo Tunnel, is an infamous wall and skill check lol.

Clinger Winger is the penultimate stage. The had to eff you before the final level lol. You then have a boss fight, which is more crap to deal with lol. Unlike the other vehicle stages, which don't have bosses.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, the speeder bikes are the first vehicle stage, and they're nothing compared to Clinger Winger or Volkmire's Inferno. I personally think Volkmire's Inferno is harder, just because it's memorisation vs reflexes, but they're both ridiculous.

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Nintendo Power had maps of every stage of Battletoads in Battlemaniacs. I memorized every one, inluding Clinger Winger to beat that game. Every single turn, everything. That was a long process. I maintain the Battletoads games would be looked back on more fondly if the difficulty weren't so god damn ridiculous.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo Power had maps of every stage of Battletoads in Battlemaniacs. I memorized every one, inluding Clinger Winger to beat that game. Every single turn, everything. That was a long process. I maintain the Battletoads games would be looked back on more fondly if the difficulty weren't so god damn ridiculous.
I remember that issue. It was basically a strategy guide for the game.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017

The fun part is if you get past Turbo Tunnel you might die on the damn snake stage instead, lol.

(I did occasionally make it to the clinger winger stages but I'm pretty sure I never actually beat NES Battletoads back in the day)

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I really like Battletoads, but this stage is absolutely wild. It seems actually impossible. This is the worst kind of stage to have in a game with limited continues.

The Genesis game and SNES game dialed back the difficulty a bit, so it's slightly less impossible.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I really like Battletoads, but this stage is absolutely wild. It seems actually impossible. This is the worst kind of stage to have in a game with limited continues.

The Genesis game and SNES game dialed back the difficulty a bit, so it's slightly less impossible.
Yep, I like challenging games, but it's a ridiculous stage. Along with the 2P bug.

I will always recommend the Japanese Famicom version. It's like a balance patch--literally. It also has 5 lives and 5 continues, instead of 3 lives and 3 continues as default.

Only wish that version was on Rare Replay. I guess we need to wait for the Famicom Online version for official access.

It's still hard, just actually doable.