• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is the combat in Yakuza 7 such a huge deal?

• Yes

Votes: 206 35.8%
  • No

Votes: 353 61.4%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 16 2.8%

• Total voters
Apr 24, 2018
I can understand the frustration of long time series fans, but if there was any good time to make a change, it's seemingly now. I'll keep an open mind and judge the game as an RPG once it eventually releases. And honestly, outside of the combat, if the tone and feel of the rest of the game still feels like Yakuza, that'll be enough for me.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I like the change, it freshens the series up, and if its universally disliked they said they'd change it.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
ive never liked turn based combat in any game ive played that had it, so its a big deal to me. I wont be buying the game because of it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Remember when we all thought the turn based April fools wasn't real gameplay? Lol, that's the main reason I'm not worried since it looks super high class.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I must be one of the few who thought the fighting in Yakuza wasn't very enjoyable, flashy finishers aside. So I don't really mind the change.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
It's not like they changed parts of a mechanic, they changed genre altogether.
I play(ed) Yakuza for two reasons, the beat em up gameplay and the absurdly funny side quests.
I personally couldn't care less about the main stories because they are the most basic things ever that served as filler between side quests.
So yeah if you remove half the reason i play the game i would say it's a pretty big deal.
Also knowing the in and outs of Kamurocho was also part of the appeal so yeah between the new setting, the new character but mainly the rpg stuff... that's a hard skip for me.

Agree that with Y6 and Dragon Engine gameplay got worse compared to 0/Kiwami but that was more of a reason to expect something better not scrapping it altogether ffs.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza is essentially a jrpg anyway, so why not go whole hog is my sentiment. i liked how it was the last vestige of old school brawlers but there's like 500 other games in the series so they want to do something else, nbd. kind of like how Resident Evil bifurcates into different genres... RE7 was first person but capcom obviously wasn't wedded to doing it with every RE game ever

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me there are a billion turn based JRPGS, I have zero desire for them to ditch their amazing unique combat system in favour of joining an oversaturated genre. People will eat it up though, I just doubt I will be one of them

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
There are 7 other Yakuza games available on the PS4, if you want classic gameplay.

The battle system isn't the whole game. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if it means evolving the series.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Judgment combat is awesome. Best it's been since Zero. And yes, I also like the turn-based idea for 7.

Oct 25, 2017
I voted "YES" but as a positive. I'm on Chapter 17 of YZero now and have absolutely loved it so far, but found the combat to be its weakest aspect, and dread getting chased by random scrubs only to repetitively button mash till they're out. I'd much rather have turn based battles with fun gimmicks and strategy. Very excited and happy about the change with 7.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Combat is very important, however, I'm okay with this experiment. I'm not sure how I'd feel if it became a long-term change for future entries in the series though.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I'm definitely open to it. Yakuza is such a solid series, I can't not give it a chance.

this is the crux right here - there arguably hasn't been a misstep since dead souls. i'm down to see what the team tries out here, and the details we've seen so far already show their own spin on what would otherwise be a tired formula

love this basic ass poll lmao

it keeps shit simple fam

Isn't this the same franchise that has 1/4th of a game where you play rhythm games as a young girl singing bubblegum pop? We'll get through this too.

this is also a great point - 5 had me non-crazy taxi driving and enjoying that shit

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Really i just wish they'd make an Trails in the Sky style turn based yakuza game.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's a big deal. A series known for its beat-em-up combat is going turn based. It's like if the next mainline Call of Duty game was a strategy RPG.

I'm still optimistic that it'll turn out well, but considering how the last major departure went (Dead Souls), I'm still kinda wary.

I'm more weirded out by the people who can't understand why some people care so much. How many series can you think of that completely change their gameplay genre 14 years and 7 entries into the series? Even the last God of War went from a top down action game to a cinematic action game. It was still an action game at the end of the day. This is a totally new genre.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I loved the Yakuza series for its beat em up action, but I will reserve judgement fro when it is actually released.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bummer that there are many, many turn-based games and so few 3D brawlers in general. That's why Yakuza becoming another of the former at the cost of the latter matters.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I can understand people being unhappy with the change, but Studio RGG has produced so many excellent games that they've earned my trust with whatever move they could possibly want to make.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
IMO yes. I love the fighting in the Yakuza series and there aren't a whole lot of 3D brawlers out there. Turn based JRPGs on the other hand are really quite common. I'll give the game a chance but I can't pretend I'm happy about the change.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
What controversy? The fact that people would rather something stagnant, instead of trying to innovate? I think the change is refreshing, especially since playing through the Yakuza games and Judgement, I end up going to auto mode. If this new system forces me to re-think how to approach a battle and gives me decent options, while being entertaining then I'm all for it.
Exactly what is "innovative" about this? And how would keeping the game's genre the same have been "stagnant"? Wtf...

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree that the combat took a bit of dip once they changed to Dragon Engine, but it was getting better again and I really liked the Judgment's combat so I felt they were going in the right direction.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
It's a completely different genre and it's being billed as Yakuza 7. Of course it's a huge deal.

I like turn-based RPGs and I have Yakuza brawlers I've yet to play so I don't overly mind. But the weird cross-current of people insisting that this isn't a big deal at all or that anyone upset is just a whiner, etc., I just can't understand.

It's like if Halo Wars was named Halo 4 and considered a true sequel to Halo 3. And if anyone complained they were met with "....what's the big deal?"

Bill it as a spin-off (which was almost CERTAINLY the original pitch for the game) and these complaints go away.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm definitely still cautious because it is a different genre for the team altogether , but I do agree that the combat took a pretty big nosedive when it switched to the Dragon Engine. BUT Judgement seemed like the engine coming into its own from what I heard, so it's a bit odd that they abandoned it just like. The devs probably needed a breath of fresh air and wanted to try new things, so we'll see if this translates well into the new style of Yakuza.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
The poll is confusing, for me it's a big deal but also a welcome change!

For people saying there are more RPGs than brawlers, how many RPGs are modern-day and don't have magic? The grounded setting alone makes it super interesting to me!

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was time to mix it up, and I LOVED the April Fool's video. So if it's like that, I am all in (and after playing 0, 1 Kiwami and 2 Kiwami, I was about to drop the series).

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Only played 0-Kiwami so far. Plan on planning Kiwami 2 eventually but if people are saying that 6 and beyond have worse combat, it sounds like a welcome change.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I dont particularly care for Yakuza but if a game series I liked (like DMC) became a turn based RPG, I'd be pretty damn dissapointed. This understated condescension towards people that are dissapointed by this feels petty more than genuine interest in the change.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Exactly what is "innovative" about this? And how would keeping the game's genre the same have been "stagnant"? Wtf...
Apparently the word "innovate" should have been obvious.

"make changes in something established, especially by introducing new methods, ideas, or products."

They're changing the combat in a series that was widely established as a 3D beat em up. You leave something the same for a long period of time and eventually, that charm wears off. Sure, you may be the exception but if everything stayed this way then where would we be?

Geez.

RichieRich

Aug 16, 2018
Yakuza's kinda like what I'd imagine a new age Streets of Rage to be, at least combat wise. I'm sure their team will spice up the formula and it won't be a cookie cutter turn-based RPG, but part of what drew me in is definitely the combat.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Well I love turn based combat, so the change doesn't bother me at all. The more strategic element appeals to me.

But I play Yakuza games for their off the wall style, I've never cared for their combat system outside of bosses. As soon as I can acquire the carry item that stops random mobs attacking me: EQUIPPED! - "The girls need me at the cabaret club, I haven't got time to deal with you!!!"

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Apparently the word "innovate" should have been obvious.

"make changes in something established, especially by introducing new methods, ideas, or products."

They're changing the combat in a series that was widely established as a 3D beat em up. You leave something the same for a long period of time and eventually, that charm wears off. Sure, you may be the exception but if everything stayed this way then where would we be?

Geez.

...holy shit, you're actually being serious, aren't you?...