• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
I want from next-gen little to no pop-ins. Just imagine playing an open world game and traveling seamlessly... but no more poor draw distance.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree honestly. SSD as the biggest advancement is kind of a joke imo. We'll get shorter load times and that's cool but imo it's immensely overblown. Like cool 3 sec load screens and no more corridor loads.

Amazing.

Not a huge deal to me at all imo as I enjoy mp load screens as a breather and corridor/elevator loads for sp same thing. Like I guess now I can just press pause instead for sp. Amazing I guess.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
OP plays videos games since the 80s though. I think this the X factor that ya'll are missing.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
First of all let me say I'm very excited about the coming consoles and will buy me a ps5 day 1.

But looking at the specs of the new consoles and I can't be the only one who thinks this.

The only components which are true generational leaps are the CPU power and the storage speed.

Ram we are going from 8gb to 16gb.... that's only a 2x jump. The jump from ps3 to PS4 was 16x.

Because now you have SSDs and you don't need to store a shit ton of data on memory since you can easily grab it from storage in a blink of an eye.
On previous generations (and current) devs had to plan ahead and add around 30 seconds of gameplay on RAM. SSDs will change how things work and 16 GB is enough. Also memory is expensive.

Gpu performance we are going from 1.8tf to 10.2tf.... that's a ~5x jump. The jump from ps3 to PS4 was 8x.

The problem here is that you're just looking at the numbers and not the architectures (which is the most important aspect). An RDNA2 GPU has around 25% improved performance per core.

The jump in storage space is even smaller. We are not even getting a 2x jump from the last gen and the games are certainly not getting smaller.

It's smaller but you can't ask for consoles to come with a 2 TB SSD with speeds higher than 2 GB/s in a console unless you're prepared to pay a hefty price.
You're also getting more control of what you can install/uninstall (at least on PS5) with each game. You can keep the campaign and uninstall the multiplayer or the other way around. It also helps that now due to the SSD devs won't have to duplicate data as much and games might end up not being a huge difference in size compared to PS4.

I am no expert but I play video games since the 80's and from the rough numbers we are seemingly getting the smallest jump ever. It is even smaller when we factor in the pro versions of the systems.

The pro versions were made for 4K TVs, that's about it. They play the exact same games the base versions did and with exception of a few titles (Gears 5 comes to mind) the majority of titles was made with base consoles in mind.

What is the reason for this? Was the same jump not possible from a technical standpoint or do I have a failure in my thought process? Why just a 2 times jump in memory when we were getting normally 10-20 times of a jump for example....

It's mostly due to pricing. You wanted 32 GB of GDDR6? Me too. I also wanted a 2 TB 5.5 GB/s SSD and a 20 TF GPU... but consoles aren't PCs, they're made to be affordable.

Go look at unreal engine 5 demo, it looks bonkers and there will be games in the next 5 years that will surpass that visual quality, have no doubt about it. This next-generation leap is going to be bigger than PS3 to PS4.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is the honor of next generation consoles so precious that you need to protect it as if your lives depended on it?
giphy.gif

The Gentleman

Oct 27, 2017
Things aren't as simple to quantify as they were in the 8 bit to 16 bit etc days. Not for me anyway. I'm not ashamed to admit most of the tech specs go over my head these days.

What they showed in the UE5 demo is a pretty good indication that the next gen is a decent leap forward.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao the people who go in every thread touting the magic of the SSD which will forever change the way games are made and transcend our current understanding. Pop in will never be an issue in any game ever again

But yea the CPU upgrade is absolutely massive but I believe the ray tracing hardware is going to be the real secret sauce of this gen. It'll be the defining look

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
If the UE5 demo is anything to go by it's already a bigger jump than PS3/X360 > PS4/X1 jump

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I agree honestly. SSD as the biggest advancement is kind of a joke imo. We'll get shorter load times and that's cool but imo it's immensely overblown. Like cool 3 sec load screens and no more corridor loads.

Amazing.

People are in the hype stage. In six years everyone will be talking about how this generation wasn't that big of an improvement besides the SSD, but next-gen, next-gen will be a game changer!

Every generational transition is a lot of gamers' first.

storophanthus

Nov 27, 2018
Geez, why do the replies are really toxic.

Just assuming the innocent basis. Maybe the OP genuinely doesn't know, and just explain it to him/her in a friendly manner.

What is the reason for this? Was the same jump not possible from a technical standpoint or do I have a failure in my thought process? Why just a 2 times jump in memory when we were getting normally 10-20 times of a jump for example....

Just like the others said, yes the failure here is that you forgot to factor the HUGE improvement on SSD, and also the metric of teraflop can't be compared here because of different architecture.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I dunno. Going from an HD 7850 to an RTX 2080 seems like quite the leap. Going from a sub-Q6600 CPU to a Ryzen 3700x seems like a good jump too. And going from a 100 MBps 5400rpm laptops drive to a top of line 5000MBps NVME drive seems like a pretty sizable hop.

Yeah, all in all this seems like a pretty massive bump in performance to me.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
What I'm trying to say is that we tend to narrowly look at generational jumps along the single dimension of the change in computing power. Whereas there are two other objective measures that are arguably more important. First, how pleasing the graphics are per se. Second, how close the graphics are to real life

Just wanted to reply to this bit: This is not what I was referring at to be honest.. I'm a big fan of graphics and its related technology but for gaming they arent the main reason why I like to play. If I take the Uncharted games as an example; they clearly follow the same template for each iteration. Sure, the levels got bigger and more open (altough I would argue the bigger 'semi-open' levels in U4 are new to the franchise); the game itself sticks to the 'ground rules' that got set in Uncharted 1: its a third person action/adventure game; with the adventure part mostly consisting of navigating through a level (often with some climbing/platforming involved) and solving puzzles (turning some knobs here and there in the right order); and the action part being a chest-high third person wave-shooter. I really hope the new technology opens up new avenues for game design because I find it hard to believe that Naughy Dog can only make this type of game. I've been playing games since the DOS & C64 age and I really hope the upcoming generation will come with something new (or atleast; is able to impress with certain gamedesigns even if they might be derivative).

Comparing realtime graphics to 'real life' is a folly in my opinion; some games (especially if they dont feature humans) might come close (like racing games) and we're surely making progress (especially with consumer hardware); but we probably won't get close to something that is convincingly photorealistic for another 20 to 30 years.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
The amount of RAM and memory bandwidth for both PS5 and Xbox Series X is pretty disappointing.

I would argue that next, next gen consoles around 2027 will see a larger increase in both RAM and bandwidth.

I would think that the jump in CPU power and SSD speeds from PS5 to PS6 (and same on Microsoft's side) will not be nearly as large as it is from 8th gen to 9th gen. Sure, console CPUs will get even more powerful, and SSD will get faster, but not as drastically so.

The GPU side of things, as well as game development, will likely see ray tracing become more of a focus as we go to full hybrid Ray+Raster rendering.

I'd imagine that Unreal Engine 6 (which would come after PS6 is launched, say 2028) will also focus more on real time ray tracing for global illumination.

Anyway, I think some of the key technologies that will allow for a reasonable leap beyond PS5 and Xbox Series X will be:
3nm GAAFET transistors and next gen EUV lithography
Chiplets. It probably won't be feasible to produce monolithic APUs that provide a generational leap.
High Bandwidth Memory (perhaps HBM4 which is due around 2024) or maybe another type of stacked DRAM

Here's some reading material

semiengineering.com

5/3nm Wars Begin

New transistors structures are on the horizon with new tools and processes, but there are lots of problems, too.
semiengineering.com

Chiplet Momentum Rising

Companies and organizations racing to define interfaces and standards as SoC scaling costs continue to rise.
semiengineering.com

HBM Issues In AI Systems

Speeding up memory reveals new challenges, especially when memory is part of the package.
semiengineering.com

Moving To GAA FETs

Why finFETs are running out of steam, and what happens next.
semiengineering.com

'More Than Moore' Reality Check

Multi-chip design is becoming more mainstream, but gaps remain.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The most tiresome thing about next gen is all of the people that can barely use a fucking computer pontificating about the hardware specifications.

WorldCollide

Oct 8, 2018
if anything, I think this gen of hardware was supposed to be more about removing as many bottlenecks as possible as opposed to building the most powerful machines. ps4 and xbox one were clearly bottlenecked by the cpu, and the pro models didn't help too much. the speed of these ssds are very impressive considering we're gonna have this kind of power in a console, but I'm more optimistic about the overall harmony of having a system with a cpu, gpu, and memory architecture all up to snuff.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
The unbridled vitriol in this thread is entirely unnecessary. Tf is wrong with you lot that this is the most important hill to defend?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It's way higher than the one from PS3/360 imo.

For the first time in ages game's design will be able to evolve significantly.

Mainframe

May 10, 2020
Hmmmm you might be right. Admittedly I jumped ship early on in the gen when a lot of 3rd parties were 720p Xbox vs 900-1080p on PS4

I don't have a X1 but I think apart from the launch games and certain frostbite games, everything has been 900p on the X1.

EDIT: I forgot that games like Ark and The Evil Within were at 640p on the X1, the PS4 didn't fare better as well with those games.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Because now you have SSDs and you don't need to store a shit ton of data on memory since you can easily grab it from storage in a blink of an eye.
On previous generations (and current) devs had to plan ahead and add around 30 seconds of gameplay on RAM. SSDs will change how things work and 16 GB is enough. Also memory is expensive.

The problem here is that you're just looking at the numbers and not the architectures (which is the most important aspect). An RDNA2 GPU has around 25% improved performance per core.

It's smaller but you can't ask for consoles to come with a 2 TB SSD with speeds higher than 2 GB/s in a console unless you're prepared to pay a hefty price.
You're also getting more control of what you can install/uninstall (at least on PS5) with each game. You can keep the campaign and uninstall the multiplayer or the other way around. It also helps that now due to the SSD devs won't have to duplicate data as much and games might end up not being a huge difference in size compared to PS4.

The pro versions were made for 4K TVs, that's about it. They play the exact same games the base versions did and with exception of a few titles (Gears 5 comes to mind) the majority of titles was made with base consoles in mind.

It's mostly due to pricing. You wanted 32 GB of GDDR6? Me too. I also wanted a 2 TB 5.5 GB/s SSD and a 20 TF GPU... but consoles aren't PCs, they're made to be affordable.

Go look at unreal engine 5 demo, it looks bonkers and there will be games in the next 5 years that will surpass that visual quality, have no doubt about it. This next-generation leap is going to be bigger than PS3 to PS4.
See ? This a great post. Instead of laughing at OP for ignoring something, you try to tell to OP why he/she is wrong. Thanks

Big Shirley

Banned
May 11, 2020
Just wanted to reply to this bit: This is not what I was referring at to be honest.. I'm a big fan of graphics and its related technology but for gaming they arent the main reason why I like to play. If I take the Uncharted games as an example; they clearly follow the same template for each iteration. Sure, the levels got bigger and more open (altough I would argue the bigger 'semi-open' levels in U4 are new to the franchise); the game itself sticks to the 'ground rules' that got set in Uncharted 1: its a third person action/adventure game; with the adventure part mostly consisting of navigating through a level (often with some climbing/platforming involved) and solving puzzles (turning some knobs here and there in the right order); and the action part being a chest-high third person wave-shooter. I really hope the new technology opens up new avenues for game design because I find it hard to believe that Naughy Dog can only make this type of game. I've been playing games since the DOS & C64 age and I really hope the upcoming generation will come with something new (or atleast; is able to impress with certain gamedesigns even if they might be derivative).

Comparing realtime graphics to 'real life' is a folly in my opinion; some games (especially if they dont feature humans) might come close (like racing games) and we're surely making progress (especially with consumer hardware); but we probably won't get close to something that is convincingly photorealistic for another 20 to 30 years.

Fair points re Uncharted. I did actually see what you meant but I kind of used it to launch into my graphics thesis lol.

I think with Naughty Dog games there's always going to be that tension between their declaration of continuing to make cinematic, story driven games and moving gameplay forward in innovative ways. I may be wrong but the scope for really ground-breaking gameplay all seems to be in open world, emergent scenarios, leveraging improvements in AI etc. It's definitely a challenge they're going to have moving forward imo.

As for your comment about comparing graphics yo real life: surely this is an automatic process? I mean, that is the standard by which realistic graphics are measured, isn't it? When people say The Last of Us 2 looks gorgeous, they're not talking about the beauty of some concrete fortification or a decaying multi storey car park. They mean those things look impressively close to their real life counterparts.

The comparison seems unavoidable to me.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Unlike previous gens this doesnt feel like as a big a jump forward as it does sideways. It feels very much like every component is just a much better version or revision. HDD to SSD, Faster Ram, faster load times. Feel like this gen just... faster.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Obviously easy for enthusiasts to find shortcomings in OPs technical breakdown, but I will defend him in this; from a marketing standpoint, you're not talking about the immediate and obvious kind of jumps we've seen from SNES to N64 or Playstation to Playstation 2. And I think the larger segment of the consumer gaming world is going to be less wowed by technical specifications than those that post on these forums, even if the improvements are impressive and represent huge leaps.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
If next kills/almost kills long loading times, then that alone makes it a bigger jump than PS3 to PS4 for me. Long loading times are mentally exhausting.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
First of all let me say I'm very excited about the coming consoles and will buy me a ps5 day 1.

But looking at the specs of the new consoles and I can't be the only one who thinks this.

The only components which are true generational leaps are the CPU power and the storage speed.

Ram we are going from 8gb to 16gb.... that's only a 2x jump. The jump from ps3 to PS4 was 16x.

Gpu performance we are going from 1.8tf to 10.2tf.... that's a ~5x jump. The jump from ps3 to PS4 was 8x.

The jump in storage space is even smaller. We are not even getting a 2x jump from the last gen and the games are certainly not getting smaller.

I am no expert but I play video games since the 80's and from the rough numbers we are seemingly getting the smallest jump ever. It is even smaller when we factor in the pro versions of the systems.

Those Tflops between PS4 and PS5 are not equal. RDNA2 tflops have like (someone correct me) about 1.5x better performance than PS4's GCN tflops. So the 10.3tflop is like 15tflop with old measurements.

So your initial comparison, which was already flawed (it's closer to a 6x jump than 5x), is actually like a jump of ~8x.

Basically the only thing not having had a huge jump is the RAM.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The whole point devs have been making about the TF number not meaning much keeps flying over people's heads I guess. Plus a mechanical HDD to the fastest SSD of all time is an insane leap.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
When people say The Last of Us 2 looks gorgeous, they're not talking about the beauty of some concrete fortification or a decaying multi storey car park. They mean those things look impressively close to their real life counterparts.

But the funny thing is that TLOU2 (and other ND games) do not look 'realistic' at all at all to me. They are pretty stylised in the way characters and the environment look; the use of color has more in common with animation than compared to real life. That said, the animation is very realistic. I think this is a great combination they use because it kinda makes them avoid the 'uncanny valley' effect. A game like Detroit: Become Human tries to look realistic regarding its characters and world but looks more 'fake' because of it.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
It'll be much more significant than the PS3 to PS4 generation where we've had to settle for notebook CPU's.

I don't know why people are so quick to play down the graphical power of the new machines when all we've seen are mid tier 3rd party games at an Xbox event. We'll know much more when we've seen 1st party titles and games from some of the bigger studios like Rockstar, CDPR, etc.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
See ? This a great post. Instead of laughing at OP for ignoring something, you try to tell to OP why he/she is wrong. Thanks

I'm not the best at explaining this type of stuff I'm sure someone here could do a much better job but yeah tried my best.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, SSDs will do the same magic for consoles as it did for PC gaming.

edit: I'd love to be proven wrong here but I have little faith in the next gen being a huge step up from current consoles (especially as we've already have 4K with the Pro/X consoles which otherwise actually would have been a big selling point).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you're not representing them properly by simply looking at multipliers and saying 'it's only x times better'

Xb1/PS4 provides enough TF headroom *above* just drawings polygons, that you started to see interesting reconstruction techniques employed. And things like physically based rendering

ps5/xsx will again provide even more headroom for creative applications of that compute power. UE5 using a hybrid software renderer for example - and I'm sure we'll see devs done up with more new techniques to do more with the power - not just more pixels or more polys

Status
Not open for further replies.