• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Crunchyroll Anime Awards Winners List
  • Anime of the Year: Jujutsu Kaisen
  • Best Animation: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
  • Best Fantasy: Re:ZERO - Starting Life In Another World (Season 2)
  • Best Drama: Fruits Basket (Season 2)
  • Best Comedy: Kaguya-sama: Love is War?
  • Best Girl: Kaguya Shinomiya (Kaguya-sama: Love is War?)
  • Best Boy: Shoyo Hinata (Haikyu!!! To The Top)
  • Best Protagonist: Catarina Claes (My Next Life As A Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom)
  • Best Antagonist: Ryomen Sukuna (Jujutsu Kaisen)
  • Best Fight Scene: Deku Vs. Overhaul (My Hero Academia, Season 4)
  • Best Score: Kevin Penkin (Tower of God)
  • Best Director: Masaaki Yuasa (Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!)
  • Best Character Design: Mayuka Ito, original designs by Aidairo (Toiled-bound Hanako-kun)
  • Best Couple: Nasa Yuzaki and Tsukasa Yuzaki (TONIKAWA: Over The Moon For You)
  • Best VA Performance (Japan): Yusuke Kobayashi as Natsuki Subaru (Re:ZERO - Starting Life In Another World, Season 2)
  • Best VA Performance (English): Zeno Robinson as Hawks (My Hero Academia, Season 4)
  • Best Opening Sequence (OP): Wild Side (ALI) for Beastars
  • Best Ending Sequence (ED): Lost In Paradise by ALI featuring AKLO (Jujutsu Kaisen)
Seems like one of the better years for winners as none of the picks looks too out there. JJK really cleaning up and it could have probably one a few more awards like best fight but it got all the expected wins like Best ED. Really glad Yuasa won Best Direction and Beastars got Best OP.

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
  • Best Fight Scene: Deku Vs. Overhaul (My Hero Academia, Season 4)
Bruh it sucked constant stopping

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
ALI must be feeling that love.

Honestly every year these awards are trash though.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Yup

I know im gonna be alone in this, but i fucking lol'ed at the Deku flying around with Eri on his back, using an abused child as a borderline battery to help him take down her brother. felt nothing for this fight scene

Her brother? Did you actually watch the show? LMAO

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Deserved for JJK.

But best fight Deku vs Overhaul? Really? At least pick Endeavor vs Nomu.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
In a year where Jujutsu Kaisen is AotY, I kinda question it. Don't get me wrong, it is a good series... but it's always these big shounen series that land at the top every single year.

It's not that surprising considering its getting the Demon Slayer style popularity surge from a really well done anime adaptation. That and it being one of the better battle shonens in like a decades time.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
In a year where Jujutsu Kaisen is AotY, I kinda question it. Don't get me wrong, it is a good series... but it's always these big shounen series that land at the top every single year.
I imagine that's likely because that's all most people are watching. You can see this on sites with dedicated anime communities, like MAL, where a majority of the top-rated shows and manga are shounen, especially stuff from Jump.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I watched JJK but just can't see what's so special about it; it's fine.
The stuff with Sukuna is great but there's not enough of it.

Preferred what I've seen so far of MHA tbh. Haven't tried Demon Slayer yet though.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
whatever he was, step-brother/relation through the man who took him in, either way his actual title is barely relevant to my point

Screenshot-20210220-162827-Shonen-Jump.jpg

Screenshot-20210220-162838-Shonen-Jump.jpg

Being told all her life her quirk is a curse and a complete stranger telling her it's a blessing and then both breaking their own bodies to save each other was the number 1 twitter trending for a reason.

Well deserved.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
  • Anime of the Year: Jujutsu Kaisen
  • Best Animation: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
    Best Comedy: Kaguya-sama: Love is War?
  • Best Antagonist: Ryomen Sukuna (Jujutsu Kaisen)
  • Best Score: Kevin Penkin (Tower of God)
  • Best Director: Masaaki Yuasa (Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!)
  • Best Opening Sequence (OP): Wild Side (ALI) for Beastars
  • Best Ending Sequence (ED): Lost In Paradise by ALI featuring AKLO (Jujutsu Kaisen)
Sooooooooo deserved!

MaxDOL

Oct 31, 2017
DADDY DADDY Do got rob!
ALI is great and all but they can not top Masayuki Suzuki.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
A) As usual lolol at their nominees for most things.

B) Akudama Drive robbed of most action and animation categories.

C) Kanamori definitely should have been best girl.

D) I think the OP/ED/OST wins are actually prepretty on point.

Oct 27, 2017
I know im gonna be alone in this, but i fucking lol'ed at the Deku flying around with Eri on his back, using an abused child as a borderline battery to help him take down her brother. felt nothing for this fight scene
Now when you put it like that, that's pretty hilarious/fucked up, lol.

Also I didn't think that the fight was particularly great, but that final exchange was the most gratuitously beautiful animation I've ever seen in a non-movie anime fight (and very high up the list, even including movies)

The 10 seconds after this gif were so crazy from an animation standpoint:
tumblr_3b250f58027e6be1e84786a33ae63d4c_ede98dc6_540.gif
Sakuga frames on sakuga frames

Hugs

Oct 28, 2017
I subbed to crunchyroll late last year to watch Mushishi and end up watching JJK on a whim an really enjoyed it. What would folks recommend along the same vein? It's the first "Shonen(?)" anime I've watched.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Nice. Tower of God won Best Score. I actually listened to it a couple times on Apple Music afterwards. Solid in its entirety and works well in the show.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I have never heard of this show, but as someone who loves shonen and is tired of the tropes.....now I am intrigued in JJK.

It's still a battle shonen involving high school kids so it's by no means free of a lot of expected tropes (though it does play with expectations and results pretty well). Mostly what I'm referring to is the lack things like a mineta/zenitsu obnoxious sex pest character, female characters not being set dressing for the guys (and a near total lack of fan service) and the other less savory stuff that is often found in a lot of anime that drags things down.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Akudama Drive is funimation I think, so it wouldn't show up on crunchyroll. I've never seen a funimation show appear on their service.

It was nominated though!!! But only for a single category, which is just... ludicrous. It's literally just to appear like this is not just an ad for their shows. I do agree now that Sony owns them, this will be less of a problem.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Always great to see praise and recognition heaped on Yuasa. Is his hiatus over yet?

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm really glad JJK won for best ED theme, I love that song and ending animation so much. I definitely need to catch up to the most recent episode.

I guess Attack on Titan Season 4 only counts for next year's awards?

Apr 24, 2018
JJK strikes me heavily as being a show that's often style over substance. I've seen the first 10 episodes, and I think it's...okay. The Sakuna angle is probably the most intriguing part of the show, but so far hasn't been utilized that much. In recent years for shounen, I liked Kimetsu no Yaiba quite a bit more. When all is said and done, I'd be surprised if JJK becomes an all time classic, like it seems that My Hero Academia .

Glad to see Fruits Basket (2019) won Best Drama - I'm not usually one for shoujo, but this show was great. Really looking forward to the third season.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
JJK strikes me heavily as being a show that's often style over substance. I've seen the first 10 episodes, and I think it's...okay. The Sakuna angle is probably the most intriguing part of the show, but so far hasn't been utilized that much. In recent years for shounen, I liked Kimetsu no Yaiba quite a bit more. When all is said and done, I'd be surprised if JJK becomes an all time classic, like it seems that My Hero Academia .

Glad to see Fruits Basket (2019) won Best Drama - I'm not usually one for shoujo, but this show was great. Really looking forward to the third season.

JJK is already hugely popular and Demon Slayer being finished means it's most assuredly the next big shonen along with Chainsaw Man (once the anime drops). JJK even outsold MHA's lifetime manga sales with half the volumes released so it's actually more popular in Japan already.