eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The Culling is back, because apparently The Culling 2 wasn't humiliating enough. The Culling: Origins is coming to Xbox One with a downright baffling business model - $5.99 to access the game, but you can only play it once a day unless you pay even more money.

I see they are taking some mobile gaming ideas!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
What the hell is this shit. Do they seriously think people are gonna bite?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Man. I can't believe how much potential and goodwill The Culling squandered. There's no reason a Culling sequel in the vein of the original wouldn't work today without all this other fuckery around it.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
LMAO.

That business model is just crazy. Why buy tokens if you can by a 7/30 day pass.

This game is DOA.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. If you want people to pay to keep playing but keep the illusion of f2p/no monthly subs, why would you not make a battle pass?
Unless you don't believe there will be enough people playing your game to battle passes to generate profit? But then... how is this arcade cab model going to fare any better?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So it's mobiles Lives/Fuel system, but somehow even more restrictive.

Yeah... doesn't sound like that works too good in a multiplayer based game.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo I forgot this game even exists wtf. I'm guessing this is just some joke in order to get themselves in the news

edit - wtf I didn't even know a second one came out.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
This is utterly ridiculous, and probably one of the worst models I've seen for an online game. And yet I find myself laughing because at least paying for matches is still dollars for content. Meanwhile, people spend $15-20 for an individual skin ... so there are still worse bang-for-your-buck returns when it comes to content unlocked for dollars spent. What we're seeing in the video, though, is the reality for many mobile games where you get a few free matches to start until the game becomes impossible because you need to buy 400 shimmering jewels or some shit. Except for this one ... there's a price of entry. Pretty fucking terrible all around.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
They got some serious balls to try something this ridiculous. 😂

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Sounds bad
www.godisageek.com

The Culling: Origins returns to Xbox One on May 14 | GodisaGeek.com

Today, Xaviant has announced the return of one of the earliest battle royale survival games, The Culling: Origins, coming back to Xbox One on May 14.

• Players can play one free match online each day. Players can play additional matches through the following means:
  • Winning an online match grants an Online Match Token
  • Packs of Online Match Tokens can be purchased (3 tokens = $0.99, 10 tokens = $2.99, 20 tokens = $4.99)
  • Online Passes providing unlimited online play can be purchased for 7 Days ($1.99) or 30 Days ($5.99)
  • Xbox One graphical quality improved dramatically, rendering at 30% higher resolution with the addition of anti-aliasing and an improved framerate
  • A.I. behaviour has been overhauled to provide a much more compelling and challenging offline experience
  • Player stamina system has been tweaked – reducing the time it takes for stamina to fully regenerate
  • The game no longer includes premium items or charges for crates. Players can level up, earn crates, and unlock airdrops through offline play.
  • In order to keep the game alive indefinitely, a great deal of effort has been spent streamlining back-end systems to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
  • A side effect of this effort is that past saved games will be wiped and all previous unlocks have been reset.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Woooooooooow. This is amazing.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Holy shit, they did THIS after the failure and complete mismanagement of the second game which then got pulled and erased from existence in under a week?

Who the fuck is so incompetent, still gets f'n paid after the failure of a century and then does this? Whoever is linked to this in any way should never ever been allowed to work in this business again. How can you be that dumb?

Edit:

And you even have to pay for this game???? What the hell.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, looks like Georgia is going to have one less game development studio soon.

Now they are just going for publicity stunt.

They're just going to get bad publicity out of this. From the sounds of how tightly they're having to maintain their costs, I'd imagine they don't have another way out if this game fails.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, who the hell is playing the culling anyway?

4 people as of the time of my post:
V8y97ht.png

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're trying to do an "arcade" business model for a game that you fucking buy up front. Utter lunacy, is what it is.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
i was expecting bullshit but that is legendary bad

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's so many free games out there that are better than this. smh how do they still have resources for this dead franchise?
Here's the sad part - The Culling in its original release was super novel by battle royale standards both then and today, but it must've been a fluke, because the devs just can't stop fucking it up.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
But... I can play Fortnite? For free? As much as I want? For free? And it's a way better game? For free?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I played a little bit of The Culling back when it first came out... it was a cool game. Why do the developers insist on doing stupid shit over and over and over again like this? Who is calling the shots over there? It's ridiculous.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's like the good old arcade days!!!!! Neat!!!!!!

JK, it's lame in this case.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So the tokens are there simply to make the scummy subscription fees seem comparably good value.

I'm sure it'll work out great!

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I think this is the closest so far we've come to John Riticello's "We'll charge players for an instant reload in a paid game" nightmare scheme

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
They obviously want to bring back the feeling of having to spend your whole allowance to play 10 minutes in an arcade. How nice and benevolent from them.

No yeah, it seems scummy af.