Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's good. It came on the heels of the dark knight though, which makes it seem pretty bad in comparison

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I rewatched it recently. it's a decent enough movie on its own. to me it only looks bad if you compare it to TDK

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
First off, as an overall Nolan Batman apologist , nothing about his trilogy merits the level of mental gymnastics necessary to excuse its negative elements as "great campy fun".

But that is ultimately one of the problems with Rises. It seemingly leans too heavily on "its just a comic book movie" logic in a franchise that largely hasn't earned such good faith on the part of the audience.

And that's not even getting into the fact that it's also a terribly aged piece of overt copaganda. Did you know that the Ocuppy Wall Street movement was secretly funded by an assortment of shifty foreign terrorists whose ultimate main purpose was in fact to bring down society? And that only the police can save us from this existential threat?

But hey, the rich guy got to have a date with girlfriend at the end, so all is right with the world.

Oct 28, 2017
It has a lot of very good scenes and some bad ones. The plot makes very little sense in so many ways though, so it is still the worst of the Nolan Batman trilogy. Doesn't make it a bad movie, just a disappointing one.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
It's fine/good but with some questionable choices which dragged it down - definitely not the sin against cinema that people seem to make it out to be here. Much better than a fair few of DCs other offerings anyway.

Is this another case of Reset-era bubble? Everyone in real life seems to like it, albeit not as much as TDK.

Please do not trust Era when it comes to comic book movie opinions of all things lol

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's an outright bad film, but it was a complete letdown after The Dark Knight. It's the Godfather 3 of comic book trilogies.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Did something happen with Nolan this week? I saw this same thread about Tenet on here or reddit a few days ago, and now DKR. I'm expecting an "Interstellar is underrated" thread before the week's end.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Rises had a fun, even if dumb set up, but the climax is a complete mess. You don't build up a villain throughout the movie just to discard him in the last minute for a "twist" that lacks any weight.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember being amped when Batman reappears. But the ensuing scene felt flat, lacked tension, and I felt the energy go out of me. No scene ever lived up to the hype they setup.

"This is gonna be awesome. THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME."
Scene ends.
"That was...okay."

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It feels very RotJ to me. Lots of lows, but the highs really worked for me. I thought it was a great sendoff to this incarnation of the character. I liked that he found peace in retiring, and knowing someone carries on the cause. I thought the more grounded Catwoman was a good fit for that universe.

Really, the weird choice to NOT call his hover car the Batwing annoys me more than how Burce got back to Gotham or Miranda's bad death scene.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
It's okay. It is worse than The Dark Knight and about on par with Batman Begins. I really don't understand the strong reactions people have against the film.

It is still considerably better than most DC films after it or MCU phase 4 films not called No Way Home.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Pretty weak compared to the other two, but I thought it was ok overall.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's goofy but it's not terrible. Just a mediocre ending with some good ideas. Heath Ledger dying probably messed with whatever Nolan had planned. It gave us Bane memes and most importantly Bane's voice from the Harley Quinn show.

The Batman shits all over the Nolan movies though

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
Only watched it once when it came out in the cinema.I was so hyped for it and I couldn't believe how bad it was and couldn't wait for the movie to end.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
Bane is the only truly great thing about that film, and even his motivations can get pretty questionable regarding Talia. He wasn't portrayed as a generic "strong dumb man," which was such a nice change of pace that was closer to his original comic personality than Batman and Robin.

Bale's Batman voice really must have taken a toll on him because it was at its peak goofiness in Rises. The "WHERE'S THE TRIGGGGGEERRRRRR" scene was fucking horrendous, for example.

Also the cop protagonist's middle name was a bad idea, no one I've ever talked to in real life has said that was a good move.

Digital Snake

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_mdoae79V8a1qgime3o1_500.gif

Naw dawg, movie is pretty bad. It's a cringe fest that couldn't recover from the loss of Ledger's Joker between TDK and TDKR. It's pro cop propaganda, a heavy handed metaphor about how we apparently wouldn't enjoy a lower class revolution as much as we think we would (Doesn't make sense) and yeah, it was a bad end to the trilogy.

this is exactly my take, people act like i'm insane when i point it out.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I think The Dark Knight Rises and The Last Jedi share in common that they're the worst in their trilogy. The Dark Knight was obviously the better of the two.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Just so I'm clear on the OP, if you compare it to bad movies, it's actually pretty good?

Well damn, that changes everything.

Also, the capitalization in thread titles on this site is hilarious. If it's not the name of an article, just write it like a human would.

Sambumbia-PR

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Its not unwatchable but it is a major step down in quality. That second half makes it a bad movie. The best thing about this movie is the CIA memes and the birth of the Bane character in the Harley Quinn series.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I enjoyed it, gotta admit I didn't see the choreography issues when I first watched it, plus The Dark Knight was tough act to follow.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
i liked it when it came out but it got goofier on every rewatch

I now like it mostly for the memes

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of disingenuous to bring up "what came after," since compared to Snyder, anything looks good. TDKR is a laughable mess of a script and a wet fart of an ending for the trilogy. The cost of Jonathan Nolan moving to TV, leaving Dave Goyer to write the script in his usual "I have never met or understood a human being" style. ("Orphan eyes." Give me a fucking break.) I do enjoy Hardy's performance as Bane (before the plot completely undermines him as the villain), and Michael Caine is of course always watchable in anything, but it's a bad movie.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
"The Dark Knight" is unequivocally a top 3 all time comic book movie. In a lot of ways it's one of the very best movies of the 00s period.

Part of the problem was just how "meh" TDKR was as a follow up. It's certainly better than any of the Snyder DC movies but eh.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
It was a huge disappointment. Its plot and script are dumb, bordering on incoherent — the biggest letdown after TDK.

But yeah, viewed on its own merits there's campy fun to be had. Hardy and Hathaway are clearly enjoying themselves and I appreciate the ambition. They really swung for the fences, plotwise. I'd rather have that than The Batman, which imo goes for the most obvious and predictable option with every artistic choice made.

Dec 26, 2017
One of the things that gets me about this movie is how the bad guys really want somebody to stop them, because they quite easily could have won.
  • They trap all the cops in the city underground, all at once, and then just keep them there for months while their friends regularly pass them food and supplies so that they're nice and ready to fight once somebody lets them out of the tunnels.
  • Bane breaks Batman's back, then makes a point of keeping him alive so he can eventually watch a bomb go off on TV. Admittedly, he sends him to watch TV far away, but he could have guaranteed no Bat-meddling if he really wanted to.
  • So they turn a nuclear reactor into a bomb, but it's going to take a few months to get ready. Do they stash it somewhere secret and safe, to eventually destroy Gotham City unexpectedly one day? No! They tell everyone about it right away, and then parade it around the city in a truck.
I think the thing is that this trilogy is seen as the realistic take on Batman, but Rises can get really silly at times, while still taking itself extremely seriously. And as others have mentioned, it kind of gives up on its version of Batman and his one rule at the end by having him and Catwoman just blast folks with some Batguns to save the day.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
You fringe nutjobs keep comparing it to good movies, when Normal People™ only compare things to dumpster fires. The Era bubble strikes again!
Exactly! Why compare it with the two other movies in the trilogy. It's better than BatClooney and Sad Affleck. So DKR is…good.

And all of the shit that makes it laugh out loud funny like the fight scenes and that lady that dies by going from fully wide eyed and conscious to just suddenly closing her eyes and wiggling her head? It's all fine. It's not as funny or camp as the Adam West movie, but it's a decent comedy in its own right.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. Nowhere near as good as Begins or TDK, but it's not the trash some people like to think it is.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
"The Dark Knight" is unequivocally a top 3 all time comic book movie. In a lot of ways it's one of the very best movies of the 00s period.

Part of the problem was just how "meh" TDKR was as a follow up. It's certainly better than any of the Snyder DC movies but eh.

It's not even a top 3 Batman film.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
TDK is my favorite movie, pretty much I think it's the greatest film ever. I can watch it over and over and still be at the edge of my seat. It's absolutely magical...TDKR is OK, a good movie by movie standards, but a disappointing sequel and finale given it's predecessor(s).

Totally unrelated but my disdain for the rise of skywalker made me appreciate TDKR more , because at least it was a decent movie to end a beloved franchise instead of an absolute piece of trash to conclude almost half a century of a beloved franchise.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
Dug it when I saw it, still digging after a recent rewatch of the trilogy. I know it has more problems than its predecessors but the nostalgia glasses always fog up with this one.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
It's bad

It takes the worst parts of 1 and 2 and puts them on steroids

The dark knight is a good movie that takes itself too seriously but still works.

I'm not a fan overall of Nolan's Batman's they're hard to rewatch. Gimme Burton bat films