• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
According to a Trademark filed on 2021-06-28...

trademarks.justia.com

THE DARK PICTURES THE DEVIL IN ME Trademark Application of Supermassive Games Limited - Serial Number 90798439 :: Justia Trademarks

Games software; interactive games software; computer game software; video game software; virtual reality games software; downloadable computer game software; downloadable video game software; interactive entertainment computer software for video games; data recorded electronically from the...

Found originally by lashman on twitter.

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be about possession and the plot twist will be that it was all in your head.

There, I just saved you $30 or whatever it will cost.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I'm good. The first two Dark Picture Series games were both mid tier and weren't as good as Until Dawn. Both games had mediocre stories, bland characters that weren't likable at all and honestly just weren't funt o play at all. I literally refunded the second game on Steam because of how much I disliked it despite wanting to like these games because of how much I loved Until Dawn.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Were any of the other entries aside from Until Dawn worth playing? It was great, but I've heard almost nothing about the other games.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting to play Dark Pictures when the whole anthology is completed, will be good value by then. Isn't it meant to be 8 games? I wonder if Supermassive are going to get to that many installments, it doesn't seem to be a big seller.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
how are the three previous games? Are their stories completely independant from each other? Are there callbacks or other reference? And lastly, do they feel like complete games?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Were any of the other entries aside from Until Dawn worth playing? It was great, but I've heard almost nothing about the other games.
If you love Until Dawn, don't even bother touching these (in my opinion) because Until Dawn is still the best game they've made. They're all pretty much misses because they're just not as good or as interesting as Until Dawn.

Ataturk

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 25, 2021
I wish this saga would just end so they can make new IPs.
Until Dawn was great why did they fall so hard with these games is it budget or time

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Until Dawn wasn't an entry in Dark Pictures. It preceded the anthology and was a collab with Sony, which is why it's PS4 exclusive and these are multiplat.

As far as worth playing, I would say reception has been overall mixed. I've enjoyed them, but they are smaller than Until Dawn was and not as in-depth. Of the two released so far, I thought the first one was eh and the second was solid if a little cliche. I think they are worth checking out, especially for the price point, just keep expectations in check

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I'm waiting to play Dark Pictures when the whole anthology is completed, will be good value by then. Isn't it meant to be 8 games? I wonder if Supermassive are going to get to that many installments, it doesn't seem to be a big seller.
Tbh i was of the SAME mindset as you but iam not sure anymore.. it seems that these games are selling pretty well for Supermassive so they might just keep making more of these and start another project alongside instead of stop making these..

And iam all of this strategy should they choose to keep making these. I love Horror.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm good. The first two Dark Picture Series games were both mid tier and weren't as good as Until Dawn. Both games had mediocre stories, bland characters that weren't likable at all and honestly just weren't funt o play at all. I literally refunded the second game on Steam because of how much I disliked it despite wanting to like these games because of how much I loved Until Dawn.
If you love Until Dawn, don't even bother touching these (in my opinion) because Until Dawn is still the best game they've made. They're all pretty much misses because they're just not as good or as interesting as Until Dawn.
Damn, that sucks.
House of ashes looks like it has a paranormal twist to it.

I swear to God if it doesn't, I won't touch any other entry in the series.

If I wanted a supernatural story that has a logical explanation for the big bad of the plot at the end, I'd just watch the massive library of Scooby Doo stuff.
Oh wow, is there not any supernatural stuff in these games? And they try to explain everything away with logic or science?

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
Man I hope the 'twist' in every one of these games isn't just 'dude was hallucinating' or 'dude was crazy'.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For those wondering, Supermassive are working on several PlayStation exclusives games.

Nov 2, 2018
how are the three previous games? Are their stories completely independant from each other? Are there callbacks or other reference? And lastly, do they feel like complete games?

Super short, stories super meh.

The movie night is particularly disappointing. Characters are divided unevenly between players, everyone has varied amount of scenes and for some reason another player might randomly be given control of your characters action scene which can lead to the death of your character.

The last game I spent 5hours watching a terrible horror movie and got to touch the controller about three times.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
IIRC, they're pretty much independent from each other aside from the main guy reading/telling the stories to you. According to how long to beat:
Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan is about 4 hours long
Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope is about 5 hours long

I never finished Little Hope cause I simply tapped out due to it not being interesting to me but I remember playing through Man of Medan and when I finished the game, I had this feeling of "that's it?" Once again, that's just my opinion. As I said previously in another post, I wanted to like these games because they're legitimately a fun style of video game and different from everything else that's out there but when you compare them to Until Dawn, you see a massive drop in quality pretty much all around.

Damn, that sucks.

Oh wow, is there not any supernatural stuff in these games? And they try to explain everything away with logic or science?
Both Man of Medan and Little Hope have some paranormal/supernatural stuff going on but they're not even that interesting nor make the game any scarier. Nearly every single moment in Man Of Medan, you're able to predict because the writing is way too predictable. It literally contains almost every type of moment you'd expect in a typical horror movie (even the shitty ones) but they do it in a boring predictable fashion. Like, "oh this game is gonna walk into a room and a ghost will appear" or "oh they're gonna interact with this thing and it's gonna make a non-spooky sound but it'll spook the characters" stuff like that lol

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that sucks.

Spoilers ahoy:

In the first game it was all hallucinations due to gas containers leaking experimental chemical warfare shit.

In the second game it was all hallucinations because childhood trauma.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Aren't they lined up to make like 10 of these games?

At one point they said it was planned to be 8, I think, but I think they've wavered on that. I've heard both 6 and 4, so not sure what the latest.

Also, as far as sells, both of the games so far were 1 million plus sellers. Not sure exactly what their goal is, but I imagine for the scope and budget, they are at least doing okay.

There is only 2 games released so far, not 3. The third comes out in October. They are independent stories outside a narrator who introduces the story, kind of a crypt keeper type of character who interjects at certain points. In the second game he made reference to some of the events of the first, and seemed to hint at a bigger thing because "they" were upset with him about it. Outside that, the two games so far have been complete standalone experiences

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers ahoy:

In the first game it was all hallucinations due to gas containers leaking experimental chemical warfare shit.

wow fuck this. There's nothing more than I hate about plot twists than "it was all in your head and never happened". So fucking bad writing. It makes every event in the story feel utterly meaningless.

I'm never touching these games.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers ahoy:

Are you sure these aren't in-universe explanations by sceptics or bad endings? 'cause there's no way the wendigo and ghosts weren't real. People literally get killed by them. 🤔

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down for more games. They have the market cornered on what they're doing, and the scale and release pacing scratch the itch at just the right time. I hope they're having some lessons learned each time though.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Played man of Medan to completion , through game pass.
found it extremely bland in every regard. Plot and dialogue were mediocre , gameplay as well ( walk around, couple of qtes). Ending was incredibly predictable and scooby-doo esque.
Spent half of it just waiting for it to end.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020

If you loved Until Dawn (like me) stay away from these games, they are average to garbage. Until Dawn was such a gem, the 90's slasher horror/goofy vibe was exceptional. These new games are terrible.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Are you sure these aren't in-universe explanations by sceptics or bad endings? 'cause there's no way the wendigo and ghosts weren't real. People literally get killed by them. 🤔

The wendigo was from Until Dawn, which was not part of the series. Man of Medan seems pretty straight forward with its twist, but Little Hope is slightly more ambiguous since there is elements of the opening of the game that are never explained

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the first two games enough to keep buying these. They're short and cheap, and the scratch the itch of co-op point and click horror.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The wendigo is from Until Dawn, and yes it was real there. The ghosts in Man of Medan and Little Hope are not real, but hallucinations.

The wendigo was from Until Dawn, which was not part of the series. Man of Medan seems pretty straight forward with its twist, but Little Hope is slightly more ambiguous since there is elements of the opening of the game that are never explained

I had totally forgotten about Man from Medan. 😂

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
If you loved Until Dawn (like me) stay away from these games, they are average to garbage. Until Dawn was such a gem, the 90's slasher horror/goofy vibe was exceptional. These new games are terrible.
Good to know it's not just me who feels the same exact way, they could have literally struck gold with a full series of Until Dawn games that keep telling a goofy/horror slasher story even if they were obviously inspired by horror movies like Friday the 13th, Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street with their own twists/turns

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Love the idea of these, but Man of Medan was incredibly underwhelming. You can pretty easily guess what's going on at a certain point and then a character very nonchalantly confirms it to be true not too long after. I've not played Little Hope yet but I've heard similar things.

Glad they are going to make more of them though, hopefully House of Ash turns out good.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise these games were literally just Scooby Doo lol
That's kinda funny.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I swear to god,
...if it ends up that there aren't any real supernatural elements again I'm gonna be pissed.
I can't believe they pulled the shit they did...
...twice.

Last edited:

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
They should save the resource and money invest into a new until dawn" type of AAA game instead of divesting into serval AA projects.
Dark picture series stories feel pretty genetic and characters feel quite underdeveloped due to the length of story and size of game. So many interesting concept with so much waste potentials.
I bought the first two games, but I am worried that with each entry people just generally lost interest, similar to Telltale game.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
These must be either selling better than I think or they're cheaper to make than I think.

Both were, I believe, confirmed to have sold over 1 million copies

I swear to god, if it ends up that there aren't any real supernatural elements again... I can't believe they pulled the shit they did twice.

If some theories are correct, the main narrative will probably have the same basic twist but they'll continue hinting that there is a broader supernatural aspect that ties into the narrator in some way

Oct 30, 2017
It always made me laugh when I saw the Narrator in The Crown.

I enjoy these games but really need to start waiting for them to go on sale before buying them.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If some theories are correct, the main narrative will probably have the same basic twist but they'll continue hinting that there is a broader supernatural aspect that ties into the narrator in some way

I am a fan of shit horror, so I will be there for the next one. However, I think I will be so annoyed if this crap happens a third time that I am going to be done. Seriously, it is a painfully boring schtick. Don't do it, Supermassive Games.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
These would be great games if they would just hire a better writer. When the whole experience hinges on a narrative, that narrative had better be worth it.

It looks like Medan and Hope were written by different people, so at the very least they should have discussed and made sure that they weren't both basically doing the same "twist".

can't wait for how they use the same twist a third time!

*fourth

Oct 27, 2017
Man of Medan was OK, but the twist was fairly obvious from the start.

I found Little Hope to be better, it almost felt like 'Silent Hill at home' at times.

None of them are as good as Until Dawn tho.

It was fairly easy to tell that
everything you were seeing were hallucinations from the very beginning
. When the game urged me to kill someone I always left the controller alone
as the prologue already told you there was a mist making people go crazy.
I was expecting some other twist to counter what I already knew, but nope, that was the whole premise

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I am a fan of shit horror, so I will be there for the next one. However, I think I will be so annoyed if this crap happens a third time that I am going to be done. Seriously, it is a painfully boring schtick. Don't do it, Supermassive Games.

I get that, but I do think there are hints in Little Hope there could be a bigger supernatural picture so I'm hoping that pans out and isn't just people reading too much into certain things.

He's referring to House of Ashes, which hasn't come out yet, so no, it's third. Unless you mean Until Dawn, but it's not part of the series and also doesn't feature that twist