• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I still like the description Katherine Cross at The Verge gave for ContraPoints: "the Oscar Wilde of YouTube". Every video for the past year or so just reinforces that. I expect this one is no different.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
"right this way Natalie, here's a cup to bust a nut in"

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Perfect timing. I need something to get out of my own head right now. I adore her videos.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I love Contrapoints and I can't wait for her to review this video game

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I love that point she made at the end, about how you can only watch the world burn if you have the privilege of not being on fire. Too bad that distinction is probably lost on the people who need to hear it most.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
"Edginess is watching the world burn while laughing from a platform of priviledge, darkness is learning to laugh while you are on fire."

That's a bit more profound than I was expecting

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe how consistently good these are. There's so much original and insightful stuff in pretty much every video she does while at the same time she manages to be entertaining.
I usually find myself losing intrest in long-form youtube videos and start fiddling with my phone or something, but for some reason I'm always glued to these from beginning to end.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So good, she really as an interesting an nuanced view on comedy. I really appreciate that. There is a balance between speaking truth to power and being funny. I think she actually personally strikes this balance very well and mainstream comics could learn from some of this.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First time watching her, and I think she pretty much hits the nail on the head. Maybe I'll check out more of her vids eventually.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I saw the title, I immediately thought of the song in a recent episode of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

And surprisingly, what Nathalie says is her video applies very well to CEG. A lot of the jokes in that show walk that thin line between edginess and self-loathing (fortunately it's not autobiographic, although it rings true far too often), and what makes the show enjoyable is really that you can feel a lot of the elements on mental health come from first-hand experience.

Also, that video made me think of some of Dave Chappelle's shows, where the jokes about race came from experience, while some others don't and were just about being edgy. It's a very difficult line to walk.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
First time watching her, and I think she pretty much hits the nail on the head. Maybe I'll check out more of her vids eventually.
She's so good. It's really astonishing the quality of content she is putting out. No topic is taken on superficially, but she puts a lot of time thinking about how the message is conveyed both in tone and style.

Literally the best YouTuber. This video is no exception.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She's so good. It's really astonishing the quality of content she is putting out. No topic is taken on superficially, but she puts a lot of time thinking about how the message is conveyed both in tone and style.

Literally the best YouTuber. This video is no exception.
High five. She is literally the best.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Great video and nuanced takedown of how lazy and utterly unfunny EDGY comics are.

I wish I could articulate my thoughts and feelings the way she does, makes me feel like a moron.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's great at breaking down difficult subjects. I sometimes see fights on this forum between well-meaning people shouting past each other because one side thinks curiosity should be rewarded with in depth explanations and the other thinks curiosity is always disguised malevolence or laziness. She bridges that gulf of understanding much better than either derailing a discussion by demanding to be brought up to speed or by attacking people who genuinely wish to better their understanding. Next time you're in a Trans and related issues semantics quiz derail - either post a link to -- or ask for a link to one of her appropriate videos and then we don't have to watch people eat each other.

If Natalie's covered it - then it's likely one of the best breakdowns of the subject and she's patient and entertaining without being condescending. And she uses political language as a scalpel and a safety net for everyone watching. I imagine even quite hateful people could be reached by her entertaining breakdowns. I almost wish she'd do mainstream movie reviews and quantum physics explanations as a side job.

And yes I thought this was going to be a thread about Don't Let the Bells-End or Get Your Hands Offa My Woman.

Comics are in a very unfortunate position as vanguards of difficult conversations - and they're doomed to failure if they try to stay current. Eventually life bypasses them and the avant garde becomes the Old guard and suddenly you go from being the reinventor of the sitcom to the dated edgelord or worse - the Maher or Dennis Miller because your audience aged at the same time as you did and you lost track of the current and it passed you by.

Safest thing is to stay in your lane and try to be Jerry Seinfeld, not Michael Williams.

Last edited:

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I've only been watching her videos for 4-5 months, but they've been an absolute Godsend in the cesspool of Youtube. Easily one of the most insightful, well rounded and entertaining content creators on there right now. I look forward to more from her.