• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I tend to agree with the op providing it's done in the correct time and place, people shouldn't go steaming into every thread to argue so i get why mods might be less keen on the idea.

Deleted member 99254

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 21, 2021
Sounds like you have some specific threads in mind. Can you link them for context?
User ekgrey got banned and demoted to a junie half a day ago for attacking religious people and pseudoscience.
www.resetera.com

fuck it, i’ll take the ban: admins SERIOUSLY both-siding pseudoscience in the middle of a pandemic???

this is beyond embarrassing. tolerance doesn’t mean tolerating bullshit snake oil when people are dying every godsdamned day because they’re overdosing on fucking snake oil! facts matter, science matters. the truth matters. we’ve seen the evidence every day since 2016, but especially in the...

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I guess it comes down to what people view as harmful vs harmless. A lot of people keep repeating the whole "As long as they're not hurting anyone, what's the problem", but do you consider being judged based on your astrological sign harmless or harmful? I think there are levels
first who's going around judging people by their astrological sign? Like how does this work some random comes up and is like whats your birthday i want to do your horoscope and you just go along with it?
Secondly if you're offended by that just walk away or stop listening.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you can't even talk about fun stuff like ghosts or ufos without some "I'm very smart" posters coming in to shit on it.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly i tend to see era members clown religion

Isn't it the deity that is Weekend ERA?

As for the theme of the thread here, maybe I am just numb to it, but I don't...see this? What are the prevalent spaces that fantastical thought is just all over the place? I don't see any free reign from anyone who shares a religious belief here, for if anything, they're doing so from a guarded position because it's just fuel to be quote posted for. Muslim people specifically walk around shielded up in spaces like this.

It would have helped that if you were going to argue about what the forum here allows, some "meta commentary" on what that is would be helpful.

I do wonder what percentage of current anti-vaxxers are new age pseudoscience believers that are not part of Trump and kin's base choking on bleach, remdesivir, cattle de-wormer etc.

And lest I be remiss, stuff like numerology and astrology have long played role in match making (or breaking) in eastern &/ south asian cultures for a long time.

For any given belief, it is a matter what subjects from the domain of science it starts to encompass to become the dictating force in one's life.

Interestingly, there's overlap between female new age hocus pocus believers and male Trump fascists in the making: often these two meet in actual romantic relationships. Conspirituality's covered a lot of that in recent times.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Are we on the same forum because this place has regular threads where religion is shat on and they are rarely locked or moderated lol

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
15 years ago, I would have agreed. I had a copy of The God Delusion and felt like one of the smart ones. But over time I realised that the attitude of the "new atheist" movement was condescending and divisive. And lo and behold, the figureheads of that movement turned out to be bigoted wankers who ignored science when it didn't fit their agenda. Just as flawed as anyone else.

It's possible to disagree with people without calling their beliefs ridiculous or badgering them with questions to make them look stupid. You're not making the world a better place.

I couldn't have said it better. And these days, I am one of those who has beliefs that 15-years-ago-me would have found stupid and would have loudly mocked. I don't care.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. This type of relativism is just awful, and among the lowest hanging fruit there is. Not everything is the same thing.

Hardcore atheist groups and communities were some of the core voices of anti-feminism that made mra recruiting more effective via YouTube Indoctrination.

Gamergate was full of these people

Hardcore Atheism can reproduce patriarchal hierarchies only the argument becomes men are biologically superior instead of spiritually

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I think it would be best if we allowed everyone to discuss what they want without requiring being respectful to anything that is not a human being.
"X is stupid bullshit, because (...)" <--- okay
"You are an idiot for believing X, it's stupid bullshit" <--- not okay
People who believe in X will take the "okay" part as a personal attack and say this is inflammatory. Guaranteed.

User ekgrey got banned and demoted to a junie half a day ago for attacking religious people and pseudoscience.
www.resetera.com

fuck it, i’ll take the ban: admins SERIOUSLY both-siding pseudoscience in the middle of a pandemic???

this is beyond embarrassing. tolerance doesn’t mean tolerating bullshit snake oil when people are dying every godsdamned day because they’re overdosing on fucking snake oil! facts matter, science matters. the truth matters. we’ve seen the evidence every day since 2016, but especially in the...
Nah that was for making a reaction thread and being hostile about it.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Anecdotally the girls I know who are into astrology also all got the vaccination, where I definitely no some athiest as fuck dude bro types who didn't so... This belief of "we need to be able to shit on astrologists because of the pandemic!" doesn't match up to what I've personally seen. Pretty embarrassing thread and a good ban.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure i didn't see it. If you're just reading horoscopes? No. If your charging crystals instead of giving baby tylenol? Maybe.
The problem with that thread was that the OP lumped all of those things together
www.resetera.com

They got banned for making an "im angry" thread after a controversial one got locked, which usually isn't allowed here

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty wild that we have multiple threads mocking people for their belief that ivermectin is an effective COVID cure but other superstitions are off the table. The tacit position of the moderation stuff is that there are beliefs which are deserving of mockery. Say what you will about those people but they're at least onto something in that ivermectin is demonstrably medicine.

Agreed taking horse paste instead of a vaccine might kill you but at least it won't make you think you're going to find love this week.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Religion (or spirituality) != Superstition and quack.

I have respect for the former. I will hate the latter from beyond my grave and have little tolerance for people who preach it.
Where do you draw the distinction there? Because the Venn diagram for some belief systems is a circle.

www.resetera.com

I like how every time this sort of thing happens the subsequent threads are microcosms of the original one. It's like a fractal.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is both a reaction thread AND a metacommentary thread, both of which are disallowed. As such, it has been locked. If you want to discuss moderation policy, feel free to post in the Constructive Community Feedback thread.

On the topic the thread is trying to address: people have already brought up our internal reasoning for locking the initial thread. The demographics that make up astrology believers and the right for people to believe what they choose so long as those beliefs do not hurt others were both on our mind, amongst other factors. We don't think that asking you all to live and let live is a particularly tough ask, and threads of that nature will be locked going forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.