• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should the try and compromise with the Republicans?

• Yes. The Dems should compromise wherever possible.

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Yes, but only if the Republicans are the ones that compromise.

Votes: 192 10.5%
  • I am indifferent

Votes: 30 1.6%
  • Only compromise on certain issues. Stonewall on others.

Votes: 537 29.5%
  • Not at all. Full gridlock.

Votes: 1,009 55.4%

• Total voters

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty simple question. I saw that Pelosi was already talking about bipartisanship and those comments received mixed reactions across the board on both sides. I'm just curious what Era's stance is on the subject.

So do you think the Dems should try and work with the Republicans?

I am of the opinion that the Republicans are the ones that should compromise. Either they do it the Dems way or not at all when it comes to anything in the House. Otherwise full gridlock and obstruction. Some things are just not negotiable.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
She says bipartisanship but most likely she's just rubbing it in their faces.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
On what?

Maybe an infrastructure bill or something?

Otherwise there's very little they should be coming together with the GOP on.

In fact I'd say a good chunk of the reason they won the House is because voters put them there to stall the Republican agenda.

SillyGoose

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I don't want nothing to be done for two years. Give up the wall for DACA is one thing I'd be ok with.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
This is some Weimar republic thinking right there. Dems & liberals really want to do a Paul von Hindenburg all over again?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
There's not really room to compromise on most issues. The faction of the republican party that believes government programs should not exist has won. It's not "market based solutions vs government-administrated solutions" any more. it's "government that tackles problems or just let rich people and bigots do whatever?"

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they're going to have to if they want to pass anything they want to get done.

I wouldn't call a +5 or even a +10 advantage a mandate for any sort of obstruction, especially when a fair number of those Dems are moderate or come from moderate areas and won't obstruct for the sake of obstruction.

If they don't try to work at least the basics out, it'll be back to full GOP control of Congress in 2020. Bank it.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On infrastructure, maybe if something can be done early enough. It was one of the only remotely OK things that could have come from his presidency, and we haven't even had that. No, everything else.

Last edited:

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Fuck no. Block every single thing possible. Republican polices are all 100% garbage and should be stopped at every single turn.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Talk up bipartisanship for the next two years, create a huge amount of ridiculously liberal bills, and investigate Trump/the GOP. They're going to blame you for obstruction anyway. It's ridiculous to play their game. Don't be so scared of losing your seat that you're going to defer to Republicans.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In theory: Yes, everything would be better with cooperation and would lead to less polarising statements and stances.

In reality: No. Republicans have such extreme ideas that cooperation to enable them would damage the country and the world. Also Republicans have no intention of playing ball and will use any underhand tactic in the book to get their way.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Give-Them-Nothing-But-Take-From-Them-Everything-300-Spartan-Quote.gif

Show the Republicans no fucking mercy for all these years of racist, homophobic, sexist, anti-people, anti-environmental motherfuckery.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I mean, they're going to have to if they want to pass anything they want to get done.

I wouldn't call a +5 or even a +10 advantage a mandate for any sort of obstruction, especially when a fair number of those Dems are moderate or come from moderate areas and won't obstruct for the sake of obstruction.

If they don't try to work at least the basics out, it'll be back to full GOP control of Congress in 2020. Bank it.

Now that they have the power to introduce bills, they should be making the Senate and Trump knock back popular shit every opportunity they can and tell voters exactly whose fault it is.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
There will be some things that naturally work out. Seems like it wouldn't be a terrible idea to squeak a couple bills by to the Senate that you're certain they'll kill just to avoid some of the inevitable labeling.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think they should do whatever they think is best for the people they represent. I don't think an ideological position of "no compromise" makes any sense. By all means, make no stupid deals. And if that means no deals at all, then so be it. But do not pass up opportunities to do good for purity's sake.

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans can compromise, but Democrats should not, no. Compromise with combative politicians is a part of why we got into this mess in the first place.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Policy that benefits their constituency and the general public is above all, but with regards to Trump & co., it's pretty clear at this point that there is some seriously shady shit there and they should not back down on investigations and that element of things regardless of how hard the GOP pushes back.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The media is going to go with the GOP's framing and blame Pelosi and the Dems for the bulk of the gridlock that will happen over the next 2 years. Anything less than 100% capitulation to Trump and Mitch McConnell will be viewed as "obstruction." The media, going full bore with their "both sides" framing and pathological need to prove they are not liberal biased are more than willing to help the GOP in this regard.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dems shouldn't compromise but they shouldn't act like the vapid cunts leftists want them to, that's our job as the people to act like bile. The representatives are supposed to turn out anger into something workable not act the same fucking way

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
I think they should do whatever they think is best for the people they represent. I don't think an ideological position of "no compromise" makes any sense. By all means, make no stupid deals. And if that means no deals at all, then so be it. But do not pass up opportunities to do good for purity's sake.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is letting the Republicans use their tactics to win PR and then reverse again.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
They probably will on a few things while pulling the rope their way as much as they can. Pharmaceuticals, infrastructure are going to be hard to justify not engaging in some bipartisanship. Not much overall, the base wants them to fuck up Trump mostly.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
They should do whatever is best for the country on any particular issue.

Fuck this partisan nonsense.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
A commentator on the BBC noted this morning, and I thought it was quite right, Trump he feels will be hoping the Dems go full gridlock to shut him down, as to Trump that gives him every bit of ammunition he needs for 2020, every bit of bad news will be an attack ad on the Dems did this by blocking my mandate

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Grimlock is my favorite Gen 1 transformer.

They'll have to work together eventually much to the dismay of some voters.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I think Democrats not standing firm on issues is part of why there's so much voter apathy. Why bother voting if they're going to compromise anyway?

No compromises.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
A commentator on the BBC noted this morning, and I thought it was quite right, Trump he feels will be hoping the Dems go full gridlock to shut him down, as to Trump that gives him every bit of ammunition he needs for 2020, every bit of bad news will be an attack ad on the Dems did this by blocking my mandate
We have GOT to stop buying into this notion that the right needs "ammunition"

The right creates ammunition out of thin air. NOTHING we do will change that.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
No.

I don't think Nancy really means it either. She's pretty shrewd, and probably just paying lip service to keep things calm until January.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Have a goddamn backbone. We need them to get this right to have any chance of winning in 2020... The scary part though is that Trump's been normalized now. We've just seen that despite all the monstrous things he's said/done over the past few years, there are millions that still gladly support and have validated him, especially in places like Florida/Ohio. It's worrying.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No.

I don't think Nancy really means it either. She's pretty shrewd, and probably just paying lip service to keep things calm until January.
Exactly, what's the fucking point in having a representative democracy if we only want a fucking shouting match for everything. We shouldn't pay people to act on impulse like we do, I'd rather have a direct democracy than pay motherfucker to do what I'm already doing.